Bicycles In Bkk

girlx

Get roller blades instead. Where will you park your bicycle at the BTS Station?

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent push bike? I have bought one before in BKK, somewhere near China Town, but I can't remember where! Also are there rules for bicyclists? That might be a joke.... I basically just want to get from my new apartment to the BTS without having to take a moto taxi all the time...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a- I have never once seen Rollerblades anywhere in BKK, B- where would I rollerblade, on the sidewalks? have you looked at the "sidewalks" lately?

Edited by girlx

behind the Indra Regent hotel is a very large bike shop, I forget the name

are you sure about this? if so can you be more specific? i walked all around the Indra Regent Hotel yesterday and could not find a bike shop!

Yea, me too - a complete dearth of bike shops anywhere near that hotel

Well, in Thailand bicycles full stop are seriously uncool. You should see the Thais laughing at me on mine, with all my protective gear on, especially the motorbike taxi drivers.

Laughing at you or smiling at you? I normally do about 40/60 kms a day - more at the weekends and holidays and I've never been laughed at. I usually stop at motor cycle taxi stands for a rest and am always welcomed - if I have been on that circuit for a few days or just cycle past, they will normally ask why I am ignoring them!

I know the difference between a mocking laugh and a welcoming smile

Hi,

How much for Strida folding bike with big wheels ? And do you know anywhere in central BKK to buy bike a folding bike as this one or any other brand? (any idea about prices?)

Thanks.

There is a shop in MBK that sells used folding bikes. It is in the back of the 5th or 6th floor at the Pratawan Princess hotel end of the mall. Its among the little stall type shops in the back.

P

As a Bangkok resident, I really doubt you can chain your bike up at most skytrain stations; it is for one rather inconvenient in many stations as it would be right in a walkway; for sure it will probably end up damaged or stolen.

If you cannot take it with you, then I would expect you are better off only riding to places like supermarket etc and yes you need to chain it up.

Fold up or....buy a new bike regularly.

hmm i can't read thai either but thanks wink.gif

..just copy and paste the address into www.thai2english.com

by they way, my friend bought a cheap mountain bike with gears, etc in Tesco Lotus for 1,500 baht last year.

I don't much Thai either. Looks like the first 4 on the list is in Bangkok,

http://www.la-bicycle.com/service_shop/bra...icycle_shop.php

The contact us address is in English, and is not locate in Bangkok. :o

My Thai friend tells me that none of the addresses is anywhere near central Bangkok - miles away. The 3rd one is the closest and that is in Thonburi across the river. None are anywhere near the Indra hotel

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent push bike? I have bought one before in BKK, somewhere near China Town, but I can't remember where! Also are there rules for bicyclists? That might be a joke.... I basically just want to get from my new apartment to the BTS without having to take a moto taxi all the time...

I recently past a BTS station - either On Nut or the one before that had bicycle racks at street level holding some bikes - I assume they were from commuters. I suggest that if the BTS station near you does not have similar to try the ones next to it. keep an eye on how the racks are used and if they work well then use them. But chain all loose parts and don't leave a new/expensive bike. At least if it is not stolen then it is unlikely to be wrecked by vandals, as would happen in the UK.

I recently past a BTS station - either On Nut or the one before that had bicycle racks at street level holding some bikes - I assume they were from commuters. I suggest that if the BTS station near you does not have similar to try the ones next to it. keep an eye on how the racks are used and if they work well then use them. But chain all loose parts and don't leave a new/expensive bike. At least if it is not stolen then it is unlikely to be wrecked by vandals, as would happen in the UK.

Many bicycle racks at emporium station also.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I can't believe that it would be as risky to let a bike there as it would be in Europe? Vandals also, so why don't they wreck all the nice cars parked in the streets as they would do in Europe? But as I say, I understand that I might be dreaming, so please wake up me !

I don't much Thai either. Looks like the first 4 on the list is in Bangkok,

http://www.la-bicycle.com/service_shop/bra...icycle_shop.php

The contact us address is in English, and is not locate in Bangkok. sad.gif

My Thai friend tells me that none of the addresses is anywhere near central Bangkok - miles away. The 3rd one is the closest and that is in Thonburi across the river. None are anywhere near the Indra hotel

yeah i did an online translator and figured that out too... no idea what that poster was talking about, i looked again and still can't find any bike shop around the Indra Regent hotel.... too bad because that would be very convenient for me!

There is a shop in MBK that sells used folding bikes. It is in the back of the 5th or 6th floor at the Pratawan Princess hotel end of the mall. Its among the little stall type shops in the back.

hmm i might go see if i can find that today! thanks!

this shop does indeed exist, on the 6th floor of MBK in the back near the pathumwan princess hotel area. they have lots of nice bikes, and the prices were cheap! 2000-6000b for used folding bikes! however it was closed (looked like it had been closed for awhile) and there was no indication of when it would be open again, and of course no one around had any ideas. i left a note for them to call me but no idea if they can read english.

this shop does indeed exist, on the 6th floor of MBK in the back near the pathumwan princess hotel area. they have lots of nice bikes, and the prices were cheap! 2000-6000b for used folding bikes! however it was closed (looked like it had been closed for awhile) and there was no indication of when it would be open again, and of course no one around had any ideas. i left a note for them to call me but no idea if they can read english.

Hi,

I also went today - it was open. The cheapest bike was 2900 baht with most being about 4-5000. They look good to me (many from the Japanese market, but made in China or Taiwan) and if I hadn't bought a new one some time ago would def buy one. But make sure it folds easily as most of them have the same mechanism and not too easy. The other thing is the way you can move it when folded - best if u can wheel it rather than having to carry it, but most are carry types. The bigger the wheels the better for potholes (and I have noticed one or 2 pot holes in Bangkok). Also try to get one with a baggage frame to hold a bag, as it is difficult to buy frames separately for small bikes and they won't fold properly with a separately bought one.

hmm what time were you there? i was there about 1:00-2:00 today... thanks for the tips too, i think i will go back and get one...

Hi,

I was there also today, late afternoon, the most expensive is 27000 thb (back of the shop) but it seems that you can get a good one for 6000 (aluminium, around 11 kg).

I haven't seen any different folding system, so I guess that any is ok ?

At Carrefour Ratchada they sell a brand new one that doesn't look so good for 3000 thb, so I think that I will go back to MBK and buy one of these second hand (does anybody know how much cost the 6000 thb (at the MBK shop) when you buy it brand new somewhere else? Does the Mbk shop sell half price?).

I think a folding bike is better than a usual one to ride in the city as you don't have to come back by riding if you are tired, too far, or if it's raining, just take it in the taxi with you and go home!

Thanks.

hmm what time were you there? i was there about 1:00-2:00 today... thanks for the tips too, i think i will go back and get one...

Hi,

I was there also today, late afternoon, the most expensive is 27000 thb (back of the shop) but it seems that you can get a good one for 6000 (aluminium, around 11 kg).

I haven't seen any different folding system, so I guess that any is ok ?

At Carrefour Ratchada they sell a brand new one that doesn't look so good for 3000 thb, so I think that I will go back to MBK and buy one of these second hand (does anybody know how much cost the 6000 thb (at the MBK shop) when you buy it brand new somewhere else? Does the Mbk shop sell half price?).

I think a folding bike is better than a usual one to ride in the city as you don't have to come back by riding if you are tired, too far, or if it's raining, just take it in the taxi with you and go home!

Thanks.

Probably the new 3000 baht one has no gears - must make sure your folder has gears and these put the price up. I bought a new taiwan made folder with gears for 6000 baht but it's not very good but OK for short distances. Dahon are good and sold second hand in that shop - new ones cost from 10,500 baht at Probike, with gears. Peugot and Giant are also good. Most of the ones in that shop are made in taiwan and China and haven't heard of many of the brands but I guess you have to try and take a chance. Make sure u give it a short ride at least before buying - they will probably let u cycle around the market floor with it if u pay a deposit. Let us know how you get on if you buy one.

A very worthwhile investment, my only concern would be the lack of reflectors. The motorcycle taxi drivers might not see me while pulling it along the pavement after dark. :o

Is the basket on the front of those free or do you have to pay extra? Been thinking about getting one for trips to 7/11

Get yourself a granny bag. The chicks dig 'em.

Shopping_Trolley_Bag.jpg

• 1 month later...

Horror stories about farangs on motos beeing targetted as rolling ATMs by the BIB lead me back to using a bicycle around BKK, maybe not so much in the centre but in the stcks to get from digs to BTS or grocery shopping. Since the BIB can 'fine' you for driving or jaywalking, are they likely to target farangs on bicycles too? Anyone received similar treatment on a bicycle as the motorbike drivers seem to get (repeated pullovers, fine/bribe)?

Cheers,

K.

There was (is?) a Cannondale bike shop along Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Nana Nuea - or North Nana). From Sukhumvit Road, head north about 1/2 Km. Ths shop will be on the left side of the Road (same side as with Bamrungrad Hospital.

Cannondale bikes are kind of expensive (30 to 60 K Baht). Probike might be a better deal for you.

Well, in Thailand bicycles full stop are seriously uncool. You should see the Thais laughing at me on mine, with all my protective gear on, especially the motorbike taxi drivers.

Laughing at you or smiling at you? I normally do about 40/60 kms a day - more at the weekends and holidays and I've never been laughed at. I usually stop at motor cycle taxi stands for a rest and am always welcomed - if I have been on that circuit for a few days or just cycle past, they will normally ask why I am ignoring them!

I know the difference between a mocking laugh and a welcoming smile

I've never had any problems with the police when I am cycling - in fact, they have been known to stop the traffic for me.

There are no soi dogs in my immediate area but the ones I do meet on my travels normally stop chasing after a few metres. If you are bothered by dogs then there are two things you can do:-

1) Get off the bike and place it between you and the dog(s) as if you were standing at a garden gate and then swing it at the dog(s), they will either get fed up or someone will 'rescue' you!

2) Carry a water pistol filled with a mixture of vinegar and pepper.

There was (is?) a Cannondale bike shop along Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Nana Nuea - or North Nana). From Sukhumvit Road, head north about 1/2 Km. Ths shop will be on the left side of the Road (same side as with Bamrungrad Hospital.

It moved about 12 months ago to Cannondale Centre map

• 2 weeks later...

Cannondale bikes are kind of expensive (30 to 60 K Baht). Probike might be a better deal for you.

Sweet. Might just check the shop out cause im currently looking for this bike.

2008 Cannondale Chase 3.

8FSDJ3_bbq.jpg

1) Get off the bike and place it between you and the dog(s) as if you were standing at a garden gate and then swing it at the dog(s), they will either get fed up or someone will 'rescue' you!

2) Carry a water pistol filled with a mixture of vinegar and pepper.

the only time i have ever had problems with soi dogs is if i am walking alone at night and come upon a pack of them (and for some odd reason, in temple yards!)

individually, if you are calm and talk softly and reach your hand out for the dog to sniff you first, they should be ok. they can sense if you are up to no good or not.

but then, dogs love me and tend to follow me around anyway, so maybe others will have a different experience.