To Apply For Visa Or Visa Extension?

Hi..I am from the Philippines (Filipino) and I came here almost a month ago on a tourism trip from Hong Kong.

Since citizens from the Philippines are granted a 30 day visa free stamp, I got in upon arrival at the airport without any fee.

The visa stamp will expire on Sunday November 7, 2004.

I am intending to extend my stay here until December 20, 2004 to anticipate the celebrations for the Kratong Festival this November and the Kings Birthday on December. This means I need more than 30 days extension.

My question is:

1) Since I came here using the 30 day visa free stamp, can I apply for a Tourist 60 days visa, pay the fee and submit the applications at the Immigration Bureau here in Bangkok? If yes, is the money requirement important? I am staying with a relative here so I dont need proof of accommodations. I onward ticket back to Hong Kong is actually dated November 8 but I can have the airline have it rebooked and stickered for December 20. How much is the updated fee?

2) If cannot apply anymore for a visa while I am here, does that mean that the 30 day stamp given to me is considered as a visa which means, I cannot apply for a new one and just secure an extension of 30 days? How much is the fee for extension and how do I apply for it as well.

3) People are suggesting about exiting Thailand through cambodia and such..is this safe and okay? will I be granted another 30 day stamp upon arrival? How much is the cambodia exit fee and how much do I need to apy to re enter Thailand?

I will appreciate your advise as I believe I need to work this out tomorrow Thursday or Friday the latest.

Thanks.

WAN

1. No. A visa can not be obtained inside Thailand. You would have to visit a Consulate outside Thailand to obtain a tourist visa. You will have to ask airline.

2. No. The 30 day stamp is not a visa and you can not extend it for 30 days.

3. Yes. There is regular VIP type bus service to the border at 2,000 baht all inclusive. You should also carry at least 10,000 baht in case you are asked to show it as it is a requirement for 30 day stamp (although may not be checked).

30-day free stays can only be extended for 10 days within Thailand, at immigration, for 1,900 baht. You'll have to do two border runs, as above to get your two sets of 30 days. Don't forget your 10,000 in your hand if doing the 30 day run, as Lop says.

Alternatively, leave the country for a couple of days to get your 60-day tourist visa at one of the Thai consulates.

30-day free stays can only be extended for 10 days within Thailand, at immigration, for 1,900 baht. You'll have to do two border runs, as above to get your two sets of 30 days. Don't forget your 10,000 in your hand if doing the 30 day run, as Lop says.

Alternatively, leave the country for a couple of days to get your 60-day tourist visa at one of the Thai consulates.

So if I am an American traveling in thailand on a tourist visa, take a trip for a week or more in Laos, I can then go to the embassy in Vientiane and get a 60 day tourist visa to go back into Thailand? This would eliminate a visa run ,correct?

So if I am an American traveling in thailand on a tourist visa, take a trip for a week or more in Laos, I can then go to the embassy in Vientiane and get a 60 day tourist visa to go back into Thailand?  This would eliminate a visa run ,correct?

You have two options.

1. Get a re-entry permit before you leave for Laos. This will allow you to leave Thailand, for your trip to Laos,

and come back on the same 60 day visa. This means your total trip will be 60 days

2. Get a double entry visa before you leave home, and use the second entry when you return from Laos. This way you get another 60 days on the second entry.

So if I am an American traveling in thailand on a tourist visa, take a trip for a week or more in Laos, I can then go to the embassy in Vientiane and get a 60 day tourist visa to go back into Thailand?  This would eliminate a visa run ,correct?

You have two options.

1. Get a re-entry permit before you leave for Laos. This will allow you to leave Thailand, for your trip to Laos,

and come back on the same 60 day visa. This means your total trip will be 60 days

2. Get a double entry visa before you leave home, and use the second entry when you return from Laos. This way you get another 60 days on the second entry.

Astral, thanks for the info. If I have a problem getting a double entry visa in the States, do I still have that option of getting the 60 day tourist visa in Vientianne upon my return to Thailand?

You have two options.

Apply for a double entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate at Houston. They are laid back there. You'll get a double entry for sure.

Astral, thanks for the info. If I have a problem getting a double entry visa in the States, do I still have that option of getting the 60 day tourist visa in Vientianne upon my return to Thailand?