Cellphones: Ais Vs. Dtac, Orange & Hutch

pchaweng

Hi, hoping to get some feedback from Thaivisa users on their cell phones.

I recently tried to buy a Nokia 2100 phone from a TA/Orange shop only to find that NONE of them had it, in spite of the fact that Orange continues to advertize the phone on its web sites and in its shops (is this a case of bait and switch to get customers to buy more expensive phones?)

For me, this all began with my desire to save money by switching from AIS which has a good basic service, but I think it's overpriced. I've found myself spending 3-4000 baht per month and want to find a way to cut down on that. But which is the best alternative?

So, I'd appreciate comments from users of the other services (DTAC, Hutch and Orange) feel about their service.

thanks to all who participate,

-pchaweng

I've been using one2call until I upgraded to one of their postpaid packages (to get affordable gprs access)

When on one2call I had the freedom plus package activated, which gave me 2.5Baht/minute countrywide calls. Only difference was that I only got half the calltime (15 days instead of the 30 days on a 300 baht card). This was perfect for me, I got cheap calls and added less calltime, which I never used anyway (my 300 Baht was mostly finished within 5 days)

At that time none of the other prepaid packages providers had a better deal.

Only problem with one2call is to find out about their promo packages, they certainly don't shout them from the rooftops (to Farangs anyway)

Not really sure what they have available right now, but might be worth investigating, since you might get a deal better suited for a heavy user, without having to change numbers....

PS, just found out my girlfriends one2call still gives her 2.5Baht/minute calls (and 15 days calltime on a 300 Baht card), so the package should still be available...

Good luck

Monty

Hello Pchaweng,

Why you not use your current mobile GSM telephone with a SIM from Orange or Dtac?

Even if your mobile still has a SIM lock you can easy get that removed at the many mobile telephone centers. For example in MBK center in Bangkok they do it for a few 100Bht within a few minutes.

With kind regards,

Richard

The cell phone market is so muddy - not just here but all over the world - it is difficult to find out which provider has the best deal. Would be interesting if someone with idle time on hands could go through the options available from the different providers here and offer an "editors choice" :o