The Boat House Project

ThaiPauly

We spend a couple of weekends a year at the Sheraton Resort and like the style a lot.

I have just seen an advert in the Post for some new villas they are building at the Boat House, very similar to the Sheraton's layout.

From what I can get by googling, the place looks very nice.

Has anyone any first hand knowledge of this development?

Thanks in advance :o

TP

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since i was there (about 1 year ago) but i did take a stroll around and looked at all the show houses.

It all looks very nice but it is a vast development.

What struck me was the shape of the development. There is only a very small beachfront put plenty of land away from teh beach.

In the end I bought in Cha-am in a place called Baan Talay Samran. Its actually a villa with a condo registrationn meaning i can own it in my own name - no dodgy companies required.

hth

A buddy of mine paid deposits and made a few downpayments on one of the houses at The Boathouse. He then realized he couldn't really afford it so asked if he could swap to a condo - they were cool about it and let him swap no prob.

I saw the show house over a year ago whilst he was waiting for the house to be built and thought it was OK - nicely finished but a bit pricey for what it was. The condo sounds like a good investment compared with prices elsewhere in the country - not sure how it compares pricewise with other projects in Hua Hin/Cha Am though.

He transferred on it earlier this year and seems pretty happy with it - I've not seen it yet.

The fact that they didn't mess him around when he swapped from house to condo and the fact that they've got Knight Frank as they're sales agent (meaning they should be getting some fairly sound advice on the correct way to do things) make me think that they's not a bad outfit to deal with. The website says that Knight Frank are "managing after-sales operations" too - if this means they are actually managing the project that would be a good thing.

i would be more worried that foreign investors wouldnt pay dues.

Current global property market is in a downturn (some may say freefall)..... and if rental income isnt covering costs of finance then there may well be the temptation to "get away without paying".

Would be interesting to see capital appreciation on these properties.... (or depreciation)......

i would be more worried that foreign investors wouldnt pay dues.

Current global property market is in a downturn (some may say freefall)..... and if rental income isnt covering costs of finance then there may well be the temptation to "get away without paying".

Would be interesting to see capital appreciation on these properties.... (or depreciation)......

Sure. That's why at least 3 properties that I know of (compounds) ask for a coupon to be bought before using their pool.

Their world class names who used to manage the places are long gone.

At The Floraville, Bang Na, each unit (other than serviced apartments which is 1 of 4 towers) have to pay 40K (forty thousand baht) a year to use the pool. The limit is - only 4 people per unit.

Management Fees here are 35 Baht per sq.m. which seems a bit low - don't know how they'll manage it for that. Still, Knight Frank have been around for a long time - gotta figure they know what they're doing I guess.

That 35 Baht m2 seems rather high to me, we are only a few K from there and pay 21 Baht m2. Seems to be enough to do the job.

It's supposed to be a beautiful place. Someone told me they were considering buying a condo there for 4.5 million baht. Not sure if that's true price or not or for what size. Also, Laguna Holiday Club bought about 50 or 60 units for their members so if you just wanted to use it 2 weeks a year it'd be cheaper than buying one on your own. Anyway, I've heard it's a beautiful place with an amazing, huge pool that meanders throughout the property and all the way to the beach. I'd probably considering buying one myself if I had a bunch of expendable dough.

• 3 weeks later...