Megabreak Or Megarude

pachooon

First of all I like to congratulate Megabreak on the great new pool hall in Soi Diana Inn that many of us been missing here in Pattaya, it’s sad that the same can’t be said about their new American manager… We are six to seven expats that used to play about three times a week for a few hours each time until last Sunday (21/9) when we where rudely asked to leave and look for another pool bar after we politely requested that they change the music to something more mainstream than loud hard core jazz that apparently was the managers favorite music, this was after over one hour of the same type of heavy jazz and the third night of trying to play pool that week, the only way I can describe it is that I ask my grandma to listen to Metallica three times a week and try to enjoy it. I like to think that we are a very easy going gang of guys that all been living in Pattaya for a lot longer than the new manager and we don’t mind a few songs of jazz but not for hours on end. I don’t know if anyone agree with my view but I was pissed of enough to write my first letter of this kind after I was asked to leave and I will be happily telling all my Pattaya friends about my experience at Megabreak or should that be Megarude?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, well Dan Black is more tahn a manager I think, more like the "owner" or and partner, he always had a bit of an attitude, (maybe something to do with short people) and thats one of the reasons why he departed from the pool room in Bangkok. I like his taste in music but I certainly hear what you are saying, it is hard core which is sometimes very slow and boring.

In saying that, first class pool tables and great service as the pool room in BKK, now called Ball in Hand.

Been in there once, and had a few games with the guy, he even supplied a few free beers.. He is the Megabreak brand owner and is partners with a guy from london @ the place, both seemed perfectly ok 2 me..

The guy has a very strong aussie accent, not sure how u could mistake it for a US one :o

I've been there once and the music in there bored the pants off of me.

I don't think he's a major partner there (i might be wrong).

My wife was going to be in one their competitions until she was told that she has to dress in sexy clothes, she told them <deleted> (it was a daytime competition) .

Whatever happened to keeping the customer happy?

In my experience bad and unresponsive managers/staff kill a bar quicker than anything else.

I recall being in a beer bar on Soi 7 one afternoon during the wet season a few years ago waiting for a mate who was staying at the Flipper.

There was a group of scandinavian guys there who were clearly of the Metallica persuasion and they were putting it away big time.

The music in the place was not to their liking however and they'd asked for a change several times but the lass behind the bar couldn't get into the CD drawer until the owner came.

He duly arrived and the mealy mouthed Aussie owner refused to put it on. These blokes then supped up and left presumably to find a bar where they could drink to their own music.

I then had to endure the owner moaning how bad business was during the wet season etc.

When I pointed out that had he simply slapped on some Metallica he'd have had a group of hard drinking scandinavians in there all afternoon and had made a killing he snapped at me and told me not to tell him how to run his business. Soon after he had an empty bar!!

Its no wonder so many bars go to the wall when they are run by people with no idea how to keep their punters happy.

Whatever happened to keeping the customer happy?

In my experience bad and unresponsive managers/staff kill a bar quicker than anything else.

I recall being in a beer bar on Soi 7 one afternoon during the wet season a few years ago waiting for a mate who was staying at the Flipper.

There was a group of scandinavian guys there who were clearly of the Metallica persuasion and they were putting it away big time.

The music in the place was not to their liking however and they'd asked for a change several times but the lass behind the bar couldn't get into the CD drawer until the owner came.

He duly arrived and the mealy mouthed Aussie owner refused to put it on. These blokes then supped up and left presumably to find a bar where they could drink to their own music.

I then had to endure the owner moaning how bad business was during the wet season etc.

When I pointed out that had he simply slapped on some Metallica he'd have had a group of hard drinking scandinavians in there all afternoon and had made a killing he snapped at me and told me not to tell him how to run his business. Soon after he had an empty bar!!

Its no wonder so many bars go to the wall when they are run by people with no idea how to keep their punters happy.

I hate guys that strut around giving it the biggun, talking to the thai staff like siht and claiming to know everything and everyone in pattaya, and it turns out they own an <deleted> beer bat.

<deleted>

I know the types....class a <deleted>. Most bars are quite accomodating to play whatever. I normally burn some cds and then pass copies about when I go to few bars on a good session. Lights up a few faces when you drop a 15p burned cd into their laps and got some diff music then the overplayed rehashed music which endlessly plays in your mind long after you left the bars.

Very sorry to hear about this bad experience in Megabreak. I know Dan and used to play with him in The Hillary Bar, Sukhumvit soi 4, Bangkok - before Megabreak opened - and later renamed Ball in Hand. He was always a nice guy to me, so I don't know what could have happened to make him react so badly.

Certainly Ball in Hand is a very well run place, with excellent tables, but maybe a little too cold. I didn't even know he'd opened a place in Pattaya because I've been in Phuket for over a year.

I would say it was a one off - and there are always two sides to a story.

Also, you can believe anything people write on this forum - up to you. Maybe the OP is a competitor and wants to stir up trouble, or put new customers off. Who knows? All I know is Dan was always a very quiet, and very polite person, and a very very good pool player. Yes, he's a little short - 5 foot 6, but I don't think that's a reason to think he's a nutter! I can't recall him ever losing his temper.

Just like the newspapers - don't believe everything you read :o

I know the types....class a <deleted>. Most bars are quite accomodating to play whatever. I normally burn some cds and then pass copies about when I go to few bars on a good session. 
Good idea! I know more than a few bars that could do with a few of those!
Very sorry to hear about this bad experience in Megabreak. I know Dan and used to play with him in The Hillary Bar, Sukhumvit soi 4, Bangkok - before Megabreak opened - and later renamed Ball in Hand. He was always a nice guy to me, so I don't know what could have happened to make him react so badly.

I would say it was a one off - and there are always two sides to a story.

Also, you can believe anything people write on this forum - up to you. Maybe the OP is a competitor and wants to stir up trouble, or put new customers off. Who knows? All I know is Dan was always a very quiet, and very polite person, and a very very good pool player. Yes, he's a little short - 5 foot 6, but I don't think that's a reason to think he's a nutter! I can't recall him ever losing his temper.

Just like the newspapers - don't believe everything you read

Fair points RDN. The guy could have been having a bad day, woman troubles, and not in the mood for any problems, however there is no excuse for unprofessionalism when you're running a bar.

:o

I haven´t been a member before, just checking the info thai visa provides.

But I had to be a member today to reply to this topic MEGA RUDE!

I WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED!

RDN (Member No.: 9,431) YOU weren´t there!

"It sounds like you are more than a friend to this guy"

We asked the staff to please change the music, but the strange thing was that they looked scared and said "cannot".

They Jazz was just keep on rolling for 15- 20 minutes more.

We have been listening for this music over an hour.

We asked one more time to please change the music, Then it happened!

The manager went out saying it was his favourite music "how about his customers choices".

We also said that why don´t you play some jazz and some mainstream music, then he told us to leave in a VERY unpolite tone.

It is strange to see how bad the Manager treat his customers.

MEGARUDE is the name!

he's a typical little bloke.

A bloke I know's girlfriend is the bird in black on the advert, see how Dan's snuggling up to her on the advert, the guy I know Say's proudly "My girlfriends on telly everyday now" I said Yeh looking like she's knocking that Dan off instead of him.

I think you have to watch him around your women when you go there.

Can everyone please stop slagging off short people!! Just because the guy is short doesn`t mean hes automatically rude, aggresive and has a chip on his shoulder.

What with this thread and some tart in the Pattaya Today slagging off short blokes, its really beginning to piss me off!

...And yes I am a short arse :o

Also the music in Megabreak is mind numbingly dull. Pool = Rock and Roll!

It's just a known fact, little men are stroppy. Maybe coz they're lacking in something -_-  :D

Right! As a "little bloke" ( 5ft 8 , yet an obese 88kg!) I'm going to Have you Dave when I come over , for saying we're stroppy , and I'll have that midget Dan as well for looking at my bird..... :o

Sorry mate :(

I'll buy you a drink when you come hows that? :wub: A SHORT maybe :D:D

:D

It's just a known fact, little men are stroppy. Maybe coz they're lacking in something :(  :D

Right! As a "little bloke" ( 5ft 8 , yet an obese 88kg!) I'm going to Have you Dave when I come over , for saying we're stroppy , and I'll have that midget Dan as well for looking at my bird..... :o

Sorry mate :)

I'll buy you a drink when you come hows that? -_- A SHORT maybe :D:D

:D

:wub:

Davethailand---

Face it! It’s not about what this guy lacks in height (not even relevant to this thread), but what you undoubtedly lack in business acumen. You’re simply a jealous clod. You can’t accept the fact that this short (your description), American guy owns a large franchise, substantially capitalized and growing larger every year. It’s comparable to the big, stupid kid in high school who is jealous of the bright kid getting straight “A’s”---the big moron starts picking on the kid—his height, his cloths, etc.

Suggestion—stop looking for the “balloons” in front of beer bars in Pattaya where you can get all the free food you couldn’t afford to purchase at Foodland, save the 49Baht you have to fork-out to get the food and maybe---JUST MAYBE—you can someday in the far-off future afford to purchase a franchise with a provocative name like “Crazy Dave’s” or :”Lummox Bar”. I would suggest the latter in your case—far more appropriate for a budding entrepreneur such as yourself.

Davethailand---

Face it!  It’s not about what this guy lacks in height (not even relevant to this thread), but what you undoubtedly lack in business acumen.  You’re simply a jealous clod.  You can’t accept the fact that this short (your description), American guy owns a large franchise, substantially capitalized and growing larger every year.  It’s comparable to the big, stupid kid in high school who is jealous of the bright kid getting straight “A’s”---the big moron starts picking on the kid—his height, his cloths, etc.

Suggestion—stop looking for the “balloons” in front of beer bars in Pattaya where you can get all the free food you couldn’t afford to purchase at Foodland, save the 49Baht you have to fork-out to get the food and maybe---JUST MAYBE—you can someday in the far-off future afford to purchase a franchise with a provocative name like “Crazy Dave’s” or :”Lummox Bar”. I would suggest the latter in your case—far more appropriate for a budding entrepreneur such as yourself.

To be fair, I can't see Megabreak as a great success just yet and its not an expansion as the first one in BKK has changed names and Dan the Man is no longer involved.

Shorty has only bought it on himself for any rude remarks he has got.

In saying all that I do like the concept and for one do not go to bars and pool rooms to speak with the Boss man. Likewise, I have been to the Blues Factory quite a few times and I must say I like it but I don't need to say hello to the Boss!

....as the first one in BKK has changed names and Dan the Man is no longer involved. ...

I didn't know Dan was no longer involved in "Ball in Hand" in Bangkok - as I said, I've been in Phuket for over a year and have not been in touch with the Bangkok crowd.

One advantage of my local bar in Phuket is that you can put on your own music. The bar has a computer running a program called "Music Match" and you can select from tens of thousands of tracks. Or you can take your own CD and get it added to the list.

The funny thing is, the boss there likes really old blues, and I don't. One day he was playing music that I could only describe as "music to slit your throat by" and I told him so, and he quite happily let me select my own favourites. Mind you, I don't think I was the first to have complained :o