Large Tv Prices + Other Furniture

lor

Hi, getting ready for the big move, but just got our quote for shipping the furniture. Someone on this forum said a container to Thailand from UK could be got for as little as £300 so contacted a few companies and so far the cheapest we have found, door to door from Birmingham to Chaing Mai for 1 container is £3,960.00. This has made us start to think about leaving everything here and buying new in Chiang Mai.

My main item is my beloved Toshiba 60" Rear Projection TV. Any idea how much this item would cost to buy in Chiang Mai? Also interested in an 8ft * 8ft projection screen. (I can bring the projector in my suitcase, it is small and light)

I saw one post that seemed to sugest that a bedroom could be furnished for about £150. My new home will have 1 lounge, 1 family room, 6 bedrooms, office, dinning room, kitchen etc. Any ideas how much it would cost to furnish this, excluding the air-con. I like English style soft 3 piece suites.

Trying to decide whether to ship averything or buy new. Also import duty. I know a returning Thai can bring in personel possesions Tax Free, but can only bring 1 TV etc. Is there an age limit to this. Because my wife can bring in the main TV but my son has his own TV in his bedroom. He is Thai and returning to Thailand. Can he bring in his stuff tax free as well? He is 10 years old. Also my daughter, born in the UK but holds a Thai passport. Can she bring in her TV etc?

Sorry for all the questions but this moveing thing is becoming a nightmare!

Regards CHris

I would recommend buying here. Furniture is cheap and easy to get hold of. Large projection TVs are around the 100 to 150K mark for the best quality, but prices are getting lower all the time as more people move to plasma screens.

Never heard of a container shipping for £300. To be honest, I don't believe this is possible. I paid £1,500 each for shipping (my own) two 40ft containers about eight years ago.

The £150, approx 10K Baht, you quote to furnish a bedroom is probably possible, but you will not have particularly good quality furniture, and a bed likely to cause bad backs! Reckon on douple that and much more for a master bedroom. (As example: Child's bunk be, passable quantity, is 12K including matress.)

Contact a cood clearance agent in Thailand NOW. They can give you the best advice regarding shipping.

Be aware that Thailand is 220 Volt / 50 Hz, but much AV equipment does not work here. I imported several TVs and Videos, but was unable to use them except as monitors. With a normal UHF input you can tune in the Video, or Audio, but not both. Can only take input from AV leads.

• 4 months later...

Hello I too was thinking of shipping a few items but not for $7000, and I was just going to send a couch and a bar and a few more items. Might not even check now.

skycop :o

Hi, getting ready for the big move, but just got our quote for shipping the furniture. Someone on this forum said a container to Thailand from UK could be got for as little as £300 so contacted a few companies and so far the cheapest we have found, door to door from Birmingham to Chaing Mai for 1 container is £3,960.00.  This has made us start to think about leaving everything here and buying new in Chiang Mai.

My main item is my beloved Toshiba 60" Rear Projection TV. Any idea how much this item would cost to buy in Chiang Mai? Also interested in an 8ft * 8ft projection screen. (I can bring the projector in my suitcase, it is small and light)

I saw one post that seemed to sugest that a bedroom could be furnished for about £150. My new home will have 1 lounge, 1 family room, 6 bedrooms, office, dinning room, kitchen etc. Any ideas how much it would cost to furnish this, excluding the air-con. I like English style soft 3 piece suites.

Trying to decide whether to ship averything or buy new. Also import duty. I know a returning Thai can bring in personel possesions Tax Free, but can only bring 1 TV etc. Is there an age limit to this. Because my wife can bring in the main TV but my son has his own TV in his bedroom. He is Thai and returning to Thailand. Can he bring in his stuff tax free as well? He is 10 years old. Also my daughter, born in the UK but holds a Thai passport. Can she bring in her TV etc?

Sorry for all the questions but this moveing thing is becoming a nightmare!

Regards CHris