Changing Employers - Need A Tourist Visa

I've been working for the same employer in BKK since Nov 2005, with a non-immigrant B visa, extended each year, and a work permit. My 90-day reprting is up to date and I've never missed a report. My contract finishes on 30 November and I will start a new job in BKK on 2 January 2009. I'm taking December off!

My new employer has told me to get a 60-day tourist visa which they will then convert to a non-immigrant B in January (apparently they have connections at Immigration) before sorting out my new WP.

My question is: when I apply for the single entry Tourist Visa (most likely in Vientiene) should I lie and say I'm "on holiday" or can I be truthful and say I'm "in between jobs"? I own a condo here, so presumably will need to give this as my BKK address?

Thanks.

The visa application has a question something like “Reason for the trip?” As you have no valid work permit at the time you apply for the tourist visa, the correct answer to that question is “tourism”. The fact that after entering Thailand with the tourist visa you will apply for a work permit and subsequently a change of visa to non-B is immaterial for the application for the tourist visa.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the advice.

If a chose to get the visa in somewhere other than Vientiane, say Singapore or HK, how would I deal with the requirement to show a ticket out of Thailand? Or is this not a requirement for a single entry tourist visa?

Vientiane doesn't ask for ticket.

Reports for Singapore is that they do want to see a ticket.

One report for HK is that they didn't ask for one. Not many reports on HK so it's hard to say for sure.

No difference between single and double.

You are not going to be working to me that's a holiday. You wouldn't be lying.

Your condo address will be fine. People rent condos for holidays.

In other words don't worry.

Enjoy your holiday.

Joe

Of course he's going to work on January 2 on his tourist visa, when his contract starts. As his TR is converted in January and then applies for a work permit he would be illegal on his TR.

You are not going to be working to me that's a holiday. You wouldn't be lying.

Your condo address will be fine. People rent condos for holidays.

In other words don't worry.

Enjoy your holiday.

Joe

Of course he's going to work on January 2 on his tourist visa, when his contract starts. As his TR is converted in January and then applies for a work permit he would be illegal on his TR.

and I guess this is what bothers me! But other than getting my soon-to-be employer to provide the documentation for a non-immigrant B, which they seem reluctant to do before I start work, it seems I'm left with no option but a tourist visa.

and I guess this is what bothers me! But other than getting my soon-to-be employer to provide the documentation for a non-immigrant B, which they seem reluctant to do before I start work, it seems I'm left with no option but a tourist visa.

I was going to suggest trying to get a Non Imm O single entry if you were married to a Thai Lady. But after checking your posts I see you are not married. Shame.

I wouldn't worry about it. You may not even have to work until they get the paperwork is done. They could even have it ready on the 2nd.

Joe

.. and I guess this is what bothers me! But other than getting my soon-to-be employer to provide the documentation for a non-immigrant B, which they seem reluctant to do before I start work, it seems I'm left with no option but a tourist visa.
Your employer can apply for a work permit without your having a visa i.e. 'Pending Visa'; you then have up to 7 working days to get copies of the new visa and passport stamp to complete the work permit application process.

• 2 weeks later...
why dont they just give you the paperwork and you get a 3 month NON B it wil then be a lot easier come january

Things have moved on and my new employers are getting their act together and should have the paperwork I require to get a non-imm B in Vientiane, instead of a tourist visa.

Other than my passport, the application form and the paperwork from my new employer, is there anything else I'll need? I've been here for 3 years, teaching on a non-imm B and WP and never had to have a background check from my home country. Hopefully I won't need it now as I've severed most of my contacts with the UK!