Regsitration Books And Driving Licence

Where are you from? Think they recognise US and UK IDPs only to forego the practical and written tests. Looks like you want a motorbike license as opposed to a car one. May as well do the both at the same time.

Do you have motorcycle entitlement on your original licence? If so, take it to the desk at your local driving centre along with your passport, letter of residence and medical certificate. Don't bother with the photos as they'll probably be to large for the license. There'll be people with cameras doing an instant service.

If you've got motorcycle entitlement as well you'll just do the reaction and colour blind tests and wait for your license(s). Don't think you need a Thai license to own the thing but for ownership you need a copy of your passport with the visa showing and a letter from immigration or your embassy certifying your address.

Earlier this year the police could issue a letter confirming your place of residence. However, when I applied to renew my 12-month driving licence in early October I was told that I would need a letter from Immigration - not from the Police - confirming my home address. The Immigration Department at Cap Cheown confirmed that the rules changed.

Secondly, I am now married to a Thail lady and I was very pleasantly surprised to receive driving licences valid for five-years (one each for bike and car). At least I will not have the hassle of getting the paperwork together for the next four years!

Does immigration in Bkk issue the letter same day - is there one letter for getting a bike in your name and one for getting a driving licence? How much do they charge - has to be cheaper than the Brit embassy I would guess!

Have heard that Bangkok driving licence centre is easiest to get licence, not sure if they will do it in Korat?

Does immigration in Bkk issue the letter same day - is there one letter for getting a bike in your name and one for getting a driving licence? How much do they charge - has to be cheaper than the Brit embassy I would guess!

Can't speak for Bangkok but Chiang Mai immigrations can turn that letter around while you wait. I would imagine that it's the same in Bangkok. You'll require two copies of that same letter, one for each task, so make sure you leave immigrations with two official copies.

Earlier this year the police could issue a letter confirming your place of residence.  However, when I applied to renew my 12-month driving licence in early October I was told that I would need a letter from Immigration - not from the Police - confirming my home address.  The Immigration Department at Cap Cheown confirmed that the rules changed.

I've never had to supply the residence letter for a driver's licence renewal (I have done five renewals of both licenses), just the usual passport copies showing a valid non-immigrant visa.

Can't speak for Bangkok but Chiang Mai immigrations can turn that letter around while you wait. I would imagine that it's the same in Bangkok. You'll require two copies of that same letter, one for each task, so make sure you leave immigrations with two official copies.

Got both licenses in Chiang Mai last week and they said they only needed one letter and photocopied it for use on the car license.

Got both licenses in Chiang Mai last week and they said they only needed one letter and photocopied it for use on the car license.

One letter should be sufficient for both licenses but it won't work for registering a motorbike as the latter is done in a completely different building in Nong Hoi.

...The Immigration Department at Cap Cheown confirmed that the rules changed.

Thanks for the update - but maybe just at Cap Cheown :o
Secondly, I am now married to a Thai lady and I was very pleasantly surprised to receive driving licences valid for five-years (one each for bike and car).  At least I will not have the hassle of getting the paperwork together for the next four years!

I am hoping to get a 5 year license after the first year one has expired. I think everyone can do that after the first year plus one day (for some reason :D ).

One letter should be sufficient for both licenses ....

Yes - that's what I did in Phuket (photocopied the address certificate).

One letter should be sufficient for both licenses but it won't work for registering a motorbike as the latter is done in a completely different building in Nong Hoi.

Ah ha! :o