Mexican Food

MyphuketLife

The short answer, very regrettably I'm afraid, is that there isn't any really good Mexican food in Phuket although admittedly I haven't tried Los Amigo's in Nai Harn - this opinion from someone who spent many years in San Diego and far too much time in Baja. Coyote in Patong provides a very poor and expensive imitation and there's a dreadful place just off Chalong Circle that defies description. Mrs CM makes some mean Enchilada's and Chili that beats most of the stuff I have found in Thailand although there's a place in Bangkok on Soi 22 that can be good. Shame really, good Mexican food is not that hard to make but you have to want to make it taste good and you have to try - for my part I could eat Mexican food three times a day everyday. Hmm, maybe I should move!

• 1 month later...
The short answer, very regrettably I'm afraid, is that there isn't any really good Mexican food in Phuket although admittedly I haven't tried Los Amigo's in Nai Harn - this opinion from someone who spent many years in San Diego and far too much time in Baja. Coyote in Patong provides a very poor and expensive imitation and there's a dreadful place just off Chalong Circle that defies description.

Los Amigos is pretty good, and the staff is really nice. You should definitely give Coyote in Patong another shot. I agree that it used to be pretty bad, but I was dragged there a couple of weeks ago and had a GREAT meal. Apparently there is a new manager and a new chef from California, I was really pleasantly surprised. The service staff was also really great and quite cute. It is a bit on the pricey side, but I would definitely go back. Its true, all the basic ingredients for mexican food are readily available in thailand, you just need to find someone who knows what their doing.

I find Indian food to be overpriced....

I would agree with that although I haven't tried a lot of Indian places in Phuket. The ones I have tried all seem to use the same recipe book which states that the food must be covered with an inch of oil ...yuck! The best of the worst would have to be Royal Tandoor in Karon although the servings are very small for the price. Having lived in Singapore for many years has probably spoiled me in so far as quality and variety of Indian food.

The short answer, very regrettably I'm afraid, is that there isn't any really good Mexican food in Phuket although admittedly I haven't tried Los Amigo's in Nai Harn - this opinion from someone who spent many years in San Diego and far too much time in Baja. Coyote in Patong provides a very poor and expensive imitation and there's a dreadful place just off Chalong Circle that defies description.

Los Amigos is pretty good, and the staff is really nice.

problem is Los Amigos is so pricey........160thb for a small to medium sized burrito and some tortilla chips?

Sorry, just noticed I said the same thing about Indian food in this thread...........guess I'm sort of a cheap charlie.

Edited by huggybear

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Mexican place near Chalong Pier, Dos Gringos. Staff & menu change, thought I'd give it a try, yet again. Really going down hill. Margarita all lime juice, refried beans = whole kidney beans (should be mashed/fried pinto beans). I give up, never going back.

Just back from the Mexican place near Chalong Pier, Dos Gringos. Staff & menu change, thought I'd give it a try, yet again. Really going down hill. Margarita all lime juice, refried beans = whole kidney beans (should be mashed/fried pinto beans). I give up, never going back.

I stopped going there when an Englishman I'd met bought in.

English/Mexican food (?), lots of Mexicans in England, yes(?) probably explains the kidney beans. Pie anybody?

I stopped going there when an Englishman I'd met bought in.

English/Mexican food (?), lots of Mexicans in England, yes(?) probably explains the kidney beans. Pie anybody?

Funny, I actually stay there now when in Chalong.

My previous digs stopped gals from Come On Bar staying over.

The guy that appeared to be the owner, Sean, runs charter boats.

Then he may just be boss of the accommodation....... dunno.

I like the free WiFi he offers, neva really eaten there, just brekky once.

i rencently went on the soi in front of soi bangla, on the right side about 9 bars deep. It's a mexican restaurant and guest house, easly found by looking at thai sign saying shorttime available.

REALLY good home made sauce, only tried nachos .. huge plate for 200baht.. really tasty.

Only good mexican food i have ever tasted in thailand

i rencently went on the soi in front of soi bangla, on the right side about 9 bars deep. It's a mexican restaurant and guest house, easly found by looking at thai sign saying shorttime available.

REALLY good home made sauce, only tried nachos .. huge plate for 200baht.. really tasty.

Only good mexican food i have ever tasted in thailand

Hah ... you only had nachos and declare it's the 'only good Mexican food you have tasted in Thailand' .. :o You really splashed out @ 200 baht, which seems expensive to me.

Just joking ... I'll give it a try. Do you mean Soi San Sabai over the main road from Soi Bangla, or a road off Bangla. Can't say I've ever noticed a Mexican place in that area, is it new ? What time they open ?

I have been told good things about the mex on San Sabai (by Americans who would probably know mex or tex mex better than Euros) but not eaten there yet.

Think they said they had mexican cook ??

Next door or very close to Summer breeze.

Edited by LivinLOS