Looking To Rent Cb400 (or Similar)

jonw8uk

Hi,

Will be be arriving in CM some time next week.

Myself and 2 friends are thinking about hiring some bikes to do the mai hong son loop.

Can anyone recommend a decent rental shop please?

Any extra info would be much appreciated, i.e. website, contact no. etc

I have googled, but didn't return much, unless i want a BMW for 5000 a day :o

Cheers

Jon

thats an easy one.

go to http://www.gt-rider.com

everything you need to know is there.

Tonys big bikes, near thapae gate, has loads of them.

17 Ratchamankha Rd. Chiang Mai. Tel: 053207124.

:o

see:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycl...dates-t547.html

To book a bike with Tonys Big Bikes go here

http://www.gt-rider.com/book-a-bike-tonys-...ike-rentals.htm

have fun, watch out for chickens in the road, silver minbuses, and onion trucks!

Edited by SomNamNah

Riding around the city is OK but I'm afraid there's a chance you will not finish the loop with those rental bikes. Check the engine, especially brake and tyres because they are not in top condition.

Besides chickens, watch out for dogs, locals on bikes and kids crossing the roads..

Good Luck!!

what happens when you hit a dog on a big bike?

i dont want to find out, but often find myself wondering... usually at 100 kph plus.

Does the bike treat it like a big pothole, should i lean forward.. back.... or just pray?

thanks

My friend did in only 50 km/h.

Broke both his arms.

• 2 years later...

Riding around the city is OK but I'm afraid there's a chance you will not finish the loop with those rental bikes. Check the engine, especially brake and tyres because they are not in top condition.

Besides chickens, watch out for dogs, locals on bikes and kids crossing the roads..

Good Luck!!

Hi, good information here.

Last night I rented a Honda Click from Tonys big bikes, the fuel tank was only 1/4 full, they wrote 1/2 full on the rental agreement.

I get home, got ready to go out, filled the tank full of petrol and then the accelerator cable broke. This was less than 3 hours after hiring the bike.

I called the office, no reply.

I called their 24 hour mobile number, no reply.

I sent them a text message, no reply.

I sent an email, no reply.

This was all before 8pm at night, so it was not an unreasonable time of the day. What if I had had an accident, or the bike had broken down at the top of Doi Suttep?????

It is the day after now, one hour after their shop is supposed to have opened. STILL NO ANSWER FROM BOTH PHONES, NO REPLY FROM THE TEXT, NO REPLY FROM THE EMAIL.

I would highly recommend that anyone wanting to hire from this shop, forget the British humour and try another shop.

Good Luck!!

Last night I rented a Honda Click from Tonys big bikes, the fuel tank was only 1/4 full, they wrote 1/2 full on the rental agreement.

I get home, got ready to go out, filled the tank full of petrol and then the accelerator cable broke. This was less than 3 hours after hiring the bike.

This was all before 8pm at night, so it was not an unreasonable time of the day. What if I had had an accident, or the bike had broken down at the top of Doi Suttep?????

It is the day after now, one hour after their shop is supposed to have opened. STILL NO ANSWER FROM BOTH PHONES, NO REPLY FROM THE TEXT, NO REPLY FROM THE EMAIL.

I would highly recommend that anyone wanting to hire from this shop, forget the British humour and try another shop.

Suprised to hear you had these problems, very suprised to hear you got no response as well. You need to address this with the shop.

I've been out on a couple of 2-3 day rides as well with people who have rented CB400's from Tony's and they have had no issues at all.

As far as the gas tank issues go, why didn't you raise this issue when you rented the bike?

As for the cable, all I can really say is it's just bad timing. You never know they are going to break until they do. I do know however that if you had it replaced and supplied a receipt they would have refunded you without question as I've also seen this to be the case when people have had punctures etc.

I've also rented one of the VRX400's to do a visa run up to the border on, no problems at all.

To the OP, all mechanical objects break down from time to time. No rental place will give you a 100% conformation or promise that this will nothappen to their bike! If they do, they ar enot to be trusted in my opnion.

Shop around and see what suits you and your budget best. You'll not go wrong with the information posted on the GT Rider website and please don't be put off by one persons bad experience compared to many peoples good experiences.

Nice trip you have planned by the way !

Yes, Try the lovely lady I've been renting from for a year now ; to be found at Niyom Phanich at a little desk inside their Showroom in Ratchdamnoen Road between the moat and AUA. She owns the little business and she runs it with her husband as mechanic. The few troubles I've had have always been solved most efficiently including the husband biking out to Doi Saket to fix the problem. No charge. Serviced regularly. A delight to deal with and speaks passable English. Highly recommended.

PS. Not Big Bikes though ; I think only Honda Clicks and similar runabouts..

Good Luck!!

Ive rented from Tony's on numerous occasions both for myself and also for friends and family that have come to visit, ive never had any problems with them. Im suprised that you never got any contact from them. I would recommend them to anyone.

cold and rainy + a 400cc bike = ride safely Please

I have never known anyone to post so much endless drivel on so many threads... jeez, get out more and post when you actually have something useful to say - for a change! :jap:

By useful you mean more like your post?

Good Luck!!

You should check the bike before you leave the shop the petrol is up to you to check .

This is just a case of bad luck .

as to the no reply i'm sure if you went back the next day they would of sorted it out for you it's only one day god whats wrong with people these days .

as for the british humour i'm not even going to go down that road.

is never useful till something happen .

i had over the years stop my truck or while riding half way between changrai maesai . or chiangmai lampang to help rider , the most common accident i see and almost experience myself , Rider fail to read the Poor road condition of Thai Roads and end up , infecting injury to himself .

here the few reason why i say Please be safe.

First Rental Bike chances is the Tire is Old and more then 3-5 years old . which is have load traction . and in colder weather is harder to heat up the tire to create better grap on the road .

Plus a little rain which is enough to bring the oily goo on to the surface . is the perfect condition for Accident .

So you assuming i am saying it for the sake of saying it ?

i get out alots. if you free you are welcome to join me or we can always meet up for coffee lunch dinner , so we can find out way to improve our lifestyle in chiangmai .

Edited by Ta22

why do u want to rent a cb400?..most of them are 10-15 years old,have been around the clock and are tired........for 1000-1200 baht a day (cheaper by the week or month) u can rent a virtually brand new kawasaki ER6 650 twin or the ER6 versy which will be much more reliable and fun to drive..........just make sure when u rent that u buy the insurance with it and check the bike all over for damage and scratches and have these logged on the rental form before taking the bike.......that way theres no arguments............as i live here i will recommend German Joes bike rental,u can be sure the bikes are well prepared and Joe is a decent bloke and well knowledgeable about routes and places to stop.......he even organisises group tours if u fancy that option

http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/renting-big-bikes-in-thailand/joes-bike-team

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=joes+bikes+chi&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRC_enGB308&q=joe%27s+bikes+chiang+mai

cold and rainy + a 400cc bike = ride safely Please

I have never known anyone to post so much endless drivel on so many threads... jeez, get out more and post when you actually have something useful to say - for a change! :jap:

By useful you mean more like your post?

Be nice to him he just joined yesterday.:sorry::welcomeani::cheesy::cheesy:

You can find a Few Bike rental alone the Thapae Roads . or ask one of your local guest house , i am sure there know someone who is renting out BIG bike .

Second thing .

Alots of the Big Big is without Plate or is Semi Legal or Up right illegal . so check carfully befor eyou rent it so you do not end up . having trouble when you come across police Check which is 100% to stop a farang on a Fancy Bike .

If you just wanna Ride fast and enough yourself on a Big powerful Bike . there is a Small track in chiangmai call Speedway . up Handong Roads .

you can rent a Cars for the same price . you renting a Bike .

but of cos i myself had ride many time on my Old Honda dream to many parts of Thailand .

all i can say is still sometime riding slow get you to your destination faster .

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to echo the comments for Tonys.. Jeff in there helped me out so much, went out of his way and lent a hand to a rider in need (me) for no other reason than his character. Since then I have rented multiple times and mates have rented and never has there been a problem. Yes he does have CB400's and they need to get more of the newer kwakers in stock, a recent model kwaker is a better bike. But you cant find a more helpful guy than Jeff and that counts for a lot to me.