Thai Gold

BIG SPUDS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 baht(weight) = 15.2 grams  ~ 8150 baht(money)

The key phrase is approximately equal to 8k ThB. The price fluctuates, as does all gold on the world market. And contrary to popular opinion and some advertisements, I believe that prices can be haggled and negotiated somewhat depending on the store.

1 baht(weight) = 15.2 grams  ~ 8150 baht(money)

The key phrase is approximately equal to 8k ThB. The price fluctuates, as does all gold on the world market. And contrary to popular opinion and some advertisements, I believe that prices can be haggled and negotiated somewhat depending on the store.

I've negotiated on the workmanship fee, but never the gold price. In fact, I would be highly suspect if they were negotiable on the gold price... I would most likely leave, figuring they were trying to pull something fishy like less gold content- or even selling plated as solid... Or the first price offered was already above that day's gold price everywhere else...

Gold is a commodity. Discounting the gold price is akin to going to your bank and them selling you baht at a discount... " Give us 1000 baht, and we'll give you 1200 back" :o

I also wouldn't buy any unstamped gold piece, because that offers you some protection...

Edited by Ajarn

24 carat gold.

I always thought it was ~ 22 carat. Well my 1 baht wedding ring is, and I can confirm this because it has 92.6 % engraved on the inside. That is 22.224 carat.

When i bought the gold for wedding in Thailand, the girl said the gold was 23 carat. But in Malaysia, they say it's 22 carat - wonder if they round the 22.224 up or down ?

I could be wrong and I was once, but that was a mistake.

I have been told by a couple of jewellers that it's 24 carat.

The stuff we refine at Olympic Dam is 99.9% and the colour is similar.

If I could get my ring off, would have a look.

A jeweller in malaysia says they don't make jewellry from pure 24 carat gold because it is just too soft. But, i think some people still call near pure gold as 24 carat.

I could be wrong and I was once, but that was a mistake.

I have been told by a couple of jewellers that it's 24 carat.

The stuff we refine at Olympic Dam is 99.9% and the colour is similar.

If I could get my ring off, would have a look.

A jeweller in malaysia says they don't make jewellry from pure 24 carat gold because it is just too soft. But, i think some people still call near pure gold as 24 carat.

Spot on.

Pure gold is 24 carat and is too soft to be made into jewellry like wedding rings. Alloys are added to "harden' it up.

The gold that people buy in Farung land is tacky if they only new the process. It is between 8 -18 carats and loses at least half its value as soon as you buy it.

Ever wondered why a Jewellry Store can have 50% off sale? The reason is that the margin on crap gold is huge (Well in NZ anyway) The margin can be up to 300%.

I was lucky enough to know a wholesaler at home. I brought a 18 carat gold chain for $300. Normal retail $900.

The margin on real thai gold is probably around 3-4%.

Thai gold is supposed to be 24 carat, but watch the reaction in big Bangkok gold shops when you try to trade in a necklace bought in some of the major tourist areas. :o

Been there, done that, been burnt and don't buy the stuff much now. :D If I do, it's always from a big Bangkok gold shop and nowhere else.

NL

I'm looking at a So Seng Heng receipt.  It says 23k.  He also wrote 96.57.  From what I understand the purity can vary ever so slightly when they are adding alloy to mass batches of processed gold. 

-a

You are right and this has been answered so many times. Thai gold is called 100% but that is 100% of the normal 23k jewelry gold. It does not mean 24k. Normal Thai gold should be 23k; but often is between 22-23k.

To confuse the issue a new process has been developed that allows almost pure 24k gold to be make into jewelry. These are sold by brand names such as Gold Master/Prema in department stores and exclusive shops and not at the red gold shops. Most people still prefer the normal gold shop type which can always be traded for cash.