Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

Does anybody know whether the ER6N sold in Thailand is built to the North American or Eurpoean specs? Couldn't turn up the answer with a search.

This forum has been quiet for a month! Hope somebody knows the answer.

Thanks

engine runs 91 which is US spec, I belive euro spec wants 95. But ECU is thai spec to manage thai emission, the cleanest bikes in the world, perhaps similar to Calif spec.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anybody know whether the ER6N sold in Thailand is built to the North American or Eurpoean specs? Couldn't turn up the answer with a search.

This forum has been quiet for a month! Hope somebody knows the answer.

Thanks

engine runs 91 which is US spec, I belive euro spec wants 95. But ECU is thai spec to manage thai emission, the cleanest bikes in the world, perhaps similar to Calif spec.

What I was after has to do with general build specs. I have coming Trax Alu-Box sidecases for my ER6N, which will be mounted on SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO side carriers. Twisted Throttle's website states:

*To install on the North American-spec 2009-2010 Ninja 650R and ER6N, you must also purchase optional grab rails and fitting hardware from Kawasaki to convert the bike to Euro-spec:

- Ref number 46075, Part number 46075-0078 GRIP,TANDEM,LH x1

- Ref number 46075A, Part number 46075-0079 GRIP,TANDEM,RH x1

- Ref number 92161 92161-0663 DAMPER x 4 (grab handle hardware)

- Ref number 92152 92152-0707 COLLAR x 4 (grab handle hardware)

- Ref number 92161C 92161-0765 DAMPER x 4 (grab handle hardware)

The above OEM Kawasaki parts are NOT included in the SW-MOTECH product and must be purchased through your Kawasaki dealer. These grab handle components are included on European-spec ER6F and ER6N bikes only.

So, I'm wondering whether I will have to make these mods.

What I was after has to do with general build specs. I have coming Trax Alu-Box sidecases for my ER6N, which will be mounted on SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO side carriers. Twisted Throttle's website states:

*To install on the North American-spec 2009-2010 Ninja 650R and ER6N, you must also purchase optional grab rails and fitting hardware from Kawasaki to convert the bike to Euro-spec:

- Ref number 46075, Part number 46075-0078 GRIP,TANDEM,LH x1

- Ref number 46075A, Part number 46075-0079 GRIP,TANDEM,RH x1

- Ref number 92161 92161-0663 DAMPER x 4 (grab handle hardware)

- Ref number 92152 92152-0707 COLLAR x 4 (grab handle hardware)

- Ref number 92161C 92161-0765 DAMPER x 4 (grab handle hardware)

The above OEM Kawasaki parts are NOT included in the SW-MOTECH product and must be purchased through your Kawasaki dealer. These grab handle components are included on European-spec ER6F and ER6N bikes only.

So, I'm wondering whether I will have to make these mods.

The ER6 sold in Thailand already has the grab bars so the answer is no, you do not need to make any mods to install the SW-MOTECH panniers.

Happy Trails!

Tony

The ER6 sold in Thailand already has the grab bars so the answer is no, you do not need to make any mods to install the SW-MOTECH panniers.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks, Tony! I was thinking that the NA model had different handrails that the Euro model. You are about 95% of the MC Thailand forums. Thanks for all you do.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks, Tony! I was thinking that the NA model had different handrails that the Euro model. You are about 95% of the MC Thailand forums. Thanks for all you do.

==> Way too much time on his hands!!

:)

Wondered if anyone else has this issue.

There are a large number of very small black spots starting to appear on the white surface of the speedo dial. They are easy to miss as quite small. Will post a pic later but in the meantime might pay to take a look at yours. ER6N Abs delivered Sept 09.

There are a large number of very small black spots starting to appear on the white surface of the speedo dial. They are easy to miss as quite small. Will post a pic later but in the meantime might pay to take a look at yours. ER6N Abs delivered Sept 09.

18,000km on my 2009 ER6n and no problems with the speedo dial... Perhaps a bad seal and water got in? Take her in for warranty replacement.

18,000km on my 2009 ER6n and no problems with the speedo dial... Perhaps a bad seal and water got in? Take her in for warranty replacement.

Yes nothing wrong with mine.

warranty claim me thinks.

Yes nothing wrong with mine.

warranty claim me thinks.

Seconded, err... thirded.

Phoned Kawasaki Pattaya yesterday just to see how my white plate was getting on.

They said it will be here with the green book on Feb 13th.

Great stuff, only been waiting since Aug 27th!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

At least they informed me of my letters and numbers, basically 3 letters and 3 numbers, I was hoping of maybe 1 letter and 1 or 2 numbers, but hey, you can't have everything. :D

And relax. :D

Keep those good times rolling. :D

Norman

Phoned Kawasaki Pattaya yesterday just to see how my white plate was getting on.

At least they informed me of my letters and numbers, basically 3 letters and 3 numbers, I was hoping of maybe 1 letter and 1 or 2 numbers, but hey, you can't have everything. :D

Norman

Jeez - took all of 2 weeks here in Chiang Mai. Did you get to choose your numbers (I didn't even ask, forgot)...

hey,

i have two questions :-)

does anyone know if there is a shop where i can rent a er6, phuket or arround?? (not for me, but a friend is comming for holiday and it

would be nice to go for a ride together).

second i go to bkk in march and would like to buy some nice parts for my er6, so does anyone know some nice shops, where thay have

things in stock?? perhaps with adress.

thanks

alex

hey,

i have two questions :-)

does anyone know if there is a shop where i can rent a er6, phuket or arround?? (not for me, but a friend is comming for holiday and it

would be nice to go for a ride together).

second i go to bkk in march and would like to buy some nice parts for my er6, so does anyone know some nice shops, where thay have

things in stock?? perhaps with adress.

thanks

alex

patong beach several ER6n for rent, beachroad, no shop, just the regular bike rentals

Norman

Jeez - took all of 2 weeks here in Chiang Mai. Did you get to choose your numbers (I didn't even ask, forgot)...

No, I didn't as they said that would be more money.

I don't really like all those special numbers if I'm honest.

I like to keep anonymous as much as I can around the big city.

A lot of folks are looking for a good aftermarket screen for their ER6n and the choices from Givi, Puig etc. leave something to be desired.

Just spotted this creative solution the other day-

ER6nNinja650RScreen.JPG

It's the stock Kawasaki windscreen from the Ninja 650R/ER6f icon_mrgreen.gif

ER6nNinja650RScreen1.JPG

WAY bigger than the little screens on offer from Puig and Givi and at only 600 Baht it's a fraction of the cost as well!

ER6nNinja650RScreen2.JPG

Just have to have the mounting brackets made up- pretty simple job that just about any metal working shop should be able to do for a few hundred Baht.

Apologies for the terrible quality pics- taken with phone camera. icon_redface.gif

Ride On!

Tony

Norman,

That strange that you have to wait so long fr your plate//GB??!!

What bu55shit explanations they give you in Patt'?? :D

How you deal with BIBs then?

I use to wait maximum.2 weeks for my bikes in Kawa. BKK ...

Hey Tony ,

Do ya know where to get low handle bars for Er6?

I'm Kikiatt to surf all over treads...(kikiatt to ride the same circus as well...Dirt,PK,Fast C,Red B...). :)

Many thanks,

Franck

Hey Tony ,

I'm Kikiatt to surf all over treads...(kikiatt to ride the same circus as well...Dirt,PK,Fast C,Red B...). :)

Many thanks,

Franck

Salut Franck!

Dirtshop has a pretty good selection of Rizoma bars, they can install for you and are quite helpful about answering questions.

I installed Sport Bars on my bike which I ordered from ninja650shop dot com. This store also has a couple types of clip on bars available too. Never seen sport bars or clip ons for sale in Thailand.

Bonne Route! :D

Tony

MERCI L'AMI!

Office is 10mn away from Dirtshop,will check tomorrow.

Yours SSR guys will go down Burappa next week?

A+

Plaisir KifKif,

No on Burapa- hit it last year and compared to Bangsaen it's really quite poor...

The SSR Hooligans are headed to Nan that weekend to once again enjoy some of the most beautiful roads in all of Thailand!

Ride On!

122909Ninja650RMeSm.jpg

Tony

Norman,

That strange that you have to wait so long fr your plate//GB??!!

What bu55shit explanations they give you in Patt'?? :D

How you deal with BIBs then?

I use to wait maximum.2 weeks for my bikes in Kawa. BKK ...

Hey Tony ,

Many thanks,

Franck

KIFKIF the reason was that I wanted it registered in Rayong rather than Chonburi.

Good news is that they have just phoned me and its all ready to do today.

Just so happened that I got pulled over by the BIB last night after work and he tried to give me a 500 baht fine (for nothing) but I talked my way out of it and rode off without paying anything.

I did have to show my license though.

The power of speaking Thai I suppose.

Phew, normally they pull me over on the Sukhumvit road on a weekend at traffic lights.

Hey Tony, just an observation, but any reason why you prefer wearing sunglasses rather than a tinted visor. I fully understand if you are night riding as you can't see <deleted> with tinted visor. Always reminds me of a mate back in UK who had an accident on his bike whilst wearing sunnies and lost an eye because of the shattered glass.

Hey Tony, just an observation, but any reason why you prefer wearing sunglasses rather than a tinted visor. I fully understand if you are night riding as you can't see <deleted> with tinted visor. Always reminds me of a mate back in UK who had an accident on his bike whilst wearing sunnies and lost an eye because of the shattered glass.

Hiya Rickster, I don't like carrying around two visors, and you never know when you're going to get caught out after dark. Riding at night with a tinted visor sucks. The lenses in my RayBan's are impact and shatter resistant and Ray Ban lenses meet or exceed all FDA safety requirements so I'm not too concerned about losing an eye on account of my shades. What really amazes me are all the Thais that ride around with no eye protection at all! :)

Ride On!

Tony

Hmm... my Oakleys have plastic lenses, but if these shatter despite wearing a full face helmet it must be a truly horrific accident. I once had a car drive over them, the lenses were badly scratched but otherwise OK.

Hmm... my Oakleys have plastic lenses, but if these shatter despite wearing a full face helmet it must be a truly horrific accident. I once had a car drive over them, the lenses were badly scratched but otherwise OK.

Just for the general info: If you are worried about wearing shatter proof lenses ask you optician or check the specs of your lenses:

- polycarbonate, nylon based (a.k.a. APX), Trivex or Nxt materials . Those are resistant to shatering

- other material like CR39 or glass are more scratch resitant but also more likely to shater.

If i recall correctly hemet visor are made in polycarbonate.

As for the need for sunglasses, I don't need them. I was lucky enough to get for free some photochromic helmet visor for a wearer test. (i.e. the visor will turn dark when exposed to sunlight and revert back to fully transparent at night) . Not sure how much they sell for but I was pretty happy with it during my last 2000km trip in Northern Thailand. (If you are curious about this techno, you can google "Photochromic Helmet Visor" or wikipedia for "photochromic").

FG

Isn't the American 91 the same as the European 95?

The Americans use the Anti Knock Index (AKI) as their octane number, which is the average of the Motor Octane Number (MON) and the Research Octane Number (RON). MON is 8-10 points lower than the RON, so the AKI is 4-5 points lower than the RON.

The Europeans (and most of the rest of the world) just use the RON, so 91 AKI is approx 95 RON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating...umber_.28RON.29

Isn't the American 91 the same as the European 95?

The Americans use the Anti Knock Index (AKI) as their octane number, which is the average of the Motor Octane Number (MON) and the Research Octane Number (RON). MON is 8-10 points lower than the RON, so the AKI is 4-5 points lower than the RON.

The Europeans (and most of the rest of the world) just use the RON, so 91 AKI is approx 95 RON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating...umber_.28RON.29

Yeah, yanks have their own way with inches, foot, and so on.

thai kwaker can run 91 RON, which I belive is us spec(87AKI). I believe Euro Kwaker is tuned for 95 RON. Which is the case for most bikes and cars in Euro, but some Euros are tuned for 98 RON.

As for the need for sunglasses, I don't need them. I was lucky enough to get for free some photochromic helmet visor for a wearer test. (i.e. the visor will turn dark when exposed to sunlight and revert back to fully transparent at night) . Not sure how much they sell for but I was pretty happy with it during my last 2000km trip in Northern Thailand. (If you are curious about this techno, you can google "Photochromic Helmet Visor" or wikipedia for "photochromic").

My lenses are fine. The venerable Oakley Mars, not made anymore but IMO the best Oakley ever made. I even have a spare :)

Do you have any of these visors left over, want to sell one? Would be nice... do they fit on an Arai helmet? I just so happen to have scratched my visor...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I finally made the decision and will get my ER-6N this Saturday in Phuket...after a long consideration of the Kawa, a Monster or a Street Triple...! Well, reason has gotten the better of me...can't always follow your heart...guys, even my Misses who is not into bikes (at all!) loved the looks of the Ducati...in white, now in Phuket showroom...class!!

I have ordered also the White "Kit" and wonder now where I could get the following mods: Arrow pipe, sliders, tank protector, maybe nicer mirrors...not really a lot, just to individualize it a little...

I live in Phuket and a shop here would be great, otherwise BKK would do fine!

Another, rather 'stupid' question, do you know a shop selling decent helmets in Phuket?

Appreciate any suggestion!

Many thanks

frank

Hi Guys,

I finally made the decision and will get my ER-6N this Saturday in Phuket...after a long consideration of the Kawa, a Monster or a Street Triple...! Well, reason has gotten the better of me...can't always follow your heart...guys, even my Misses who is not into bikes (at all!) loved the looks of the Ducati...in white, now in Phuket showroom...class!!

I have ordered also the White "Kit" and wonder now where I could get the following mods: Arrow pipe, sliders, tank protector, maybe nicer mirrors...not really a lot, just to individualize it a little...

Another, rather 'stupid' question, do you know a shop selling decent helmets in Phuket?

Many thanks

frank

congrats on a great bike

I find the full face at Carrefour - Jungceylon to be ok. only 900 baht

Hi Guys,

Many thanks

frank

Great stuff Frank and congrats, join the club.

Tony should be along soon to tell you all you need to know about modifying your new bike.

I am considering riding down to Phuket in April for the bike week down there from Pattaya. Need to get away from all the water splashed about here for 10 days.

Let those good times roll.

NormanW :)