Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

So where are the best spots you have found?

Here are some comments I have, but I would love more suggestions:

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a big difference from a resteraunt type place and a take away fish and chip shop.

Mainly in a place like pig and whistle the fish and chips are cooked just for you.

In a chip shop they are cooked before, and just warmed ready for you in when u come in.

Depends what sort your after, never heard about traditional fish and chip shop in Pattaya.

That's interesting. I think being cooked for you sounds better, so I suppose I don't have traditional tastes on the matter. I see your point though. This is going to be a subjective thing especially if you grew up with chippie shops and you like things just so.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Sorry Jingthing. I am surprised you did not get any tartar sauce. You should have had it. Along with your bread and butter and the Pacific Dory fillet that comes cooked in beer batter.(Cod is also available) Not forgetting the chunky chips...

Sorry Jingthing. I am surprised you did not get any tartar sauce. You should have had it. Along with your bread and butter and the Pacific Dory fillet that comes cooked in beer batter.(Cod is also available) Not forgetting the chunky chips..

From Bert's, I presume?

I did ASK for tartar sauce and was given simple mayo instead, and asked again, and got a no have. You are saying you normally do have tartar sauce? Is it made in house? Yes, your chips were good as well.

Sorry Jingthing. I am surprised you did not get any tartar sauce. You should have had it. Along with your bread and butter and the Pacific Dory fillet that comes cooked in beer batter.(Cod is also available) Not forgetting the chunky chips..

From Bert's, I presume?

I did ASK for tartar sauce and was given simple mayo instead, and asked again, and got a no have. You are saying you normally do have tartar sauce? Is it made in house? Yes, your chips were good as well.

Coming from a Brit....regarding traditional Fish & chips.....never heard of it being served with Tartare sauce.....with scampi or Dover sole maybe.

No...battered and fried to a nice crisp,,,,chips chunky cut,,,,mushy peas.....salt and vinegar. bread & butter and a mug of hot tea.

Yes, its hard to imagine how tartar sauce would work in a newspaper server. Teacup is correct, for American tastes tartar sauce is de rigeur for fried seafood of most any kind. I find it hard to believe it is that odd for Brits though as it usually served with the F&C in town at British style places without special request.

Edited by Jingthing

From Bert's, I presume?

Coming from a Brit....regarding traditional Fish & chips.....never heard of it being served with Tartare sauce.....with scampi or Dover sole maybe.

No...battered and fried to a nice crisp,,,,chips chunky cut,,,,mushy peas.....salt and vinegar. bread & butter and a mug of hot tea.

Makes my mouth water just reading it. :o

Theres a big difference from a resteraunt type place and a take away fish and chip shop.

Mainly in a place like pig and whistle the fish and chips are cooked just for you.

In a chip shop they are cooked before, and just warmed ready for you in when u come in.

Just in case this refers to back home and if so, i,d like to defend our chip shops...............

I would hope this is not meant to reflect the traditonal way of serving ect. in the U.K.

I have never heard of any being warmed up as they usually go on sale at certain times and customer demand is such in reputable / traditional " British, fish and chip shops that normally you will see customers waiting for whatever as they have run out and are frying a fresh batch.

Where i live, they,d loose their customers sharpish and no mistake, recycling as you can tell by tasting if they are fresh or not.

As for the Tarter sauce issue JT, if served, ( but personally a no no ) it is usually only in a restaurant when this is available, along with the tom. ketchup and brown sauce

marshbags :D:o

Depends what sort your after, never heard about traditional fish and chip shop in Pattaya.

As it is, any sort of fish and chips the way Westerner describes them being served, anything like in another country is better than none, to eat occasionally.

Like Yorkshire Pudding owts better than nowt if it,s a reasonable clone.

IMHO marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Coming from a Brit....regarding traditional Fish & chips.....never heard of it being served with Tartare sauce

If you come to the states, it's always being served with tartar sauce and just abit with mustard in it...YUM YUM!!

and all covered in CURRY SAUCE........luv-lay....... :o

Neeroys on Soi Chiapoon does an excellent english style fish & chips - 99bt... very nice.

What kind of fish do they serve for only 99bt?

There are two quite large pieces of white fish (I think its cod but not sure) it is covered in English style chip shop batter, with nice home made (not frozen) chips, you can have mushy peas as well if you ask. Well worth 99bt, very tasty and filling. Also very popular, a lot of customers go for the fish n chips. Making my mouth water now !!!!

There should be NO food waiting on the warmer in any decent fish and chip shop. I grew up in a village where the chippie was a lazy bugger and didn't change his fat often enough, didn't keep the fat hot enough and used to pre-fry and leave stuff to shrivel up under the lights. On weekends, we would rather drive 15 miles to another village and wait 15-20 minutes for our orders to be cooked. That's the ONLY way a fish and chip shop should work and anyone who thinks that bulk fryups ahead of the crowd is good business will lose his arse.

I use 2 different chippies when I am home and I have to wait 15-20 minutes for my orders and it's always awesome despite having to travel an extra 20 miles to the dinner table. If the fat is fresh and hot, the stuff will travel well.

My only experience with the only full-on chip shop over in Jomtien was pretty bad, I did wait but that was because they didn't have the fat turned on and when the fish suppers were opened at my mates condo round the corner (5 minutes away) the batter and chips were soggy as the fat wasn't hot enough when they cooked the order.

Chesters is very good, off Soi Numplabwan heading away from sukhumvit, its at the end of that little soi thats over the railway bridge on your left. opposite the market, theres a 7 eleven on the corner

Yes, its hard to imagine how tartar sauce would work in a newspaper server. Teacup is correct, for American tastes tartar sauce is de rigeur for fried seafood of most any kind. I find it hard to believe it is that odd for Brits though as it usually served with the F&C in town at British style places without special request.

Yes you're right.Tartare sauce in a newspaper take away does'nt seem right or proper.

AND.....The best chips have got to be fried in BEEF DRIPPING....ie... the smell isnt what you call appetizing but the taste!!!!

From Bert's, I presume?

You should have got Tarter Sauce Jinthing and yes it is made In House, I will have a word with the Wife!!

Bert

I did, and was not disappointed, classic Jing, coming in with a coupon berating the staff over not getting your free beer because you misread it and came in on the wrong day, insulted the owner, made accusations, and surprise, banned yet again from some establishment,

Lets recap, ... a coupon for a free beer, ends up with you upsetting the entire establishment, probably hurting this guys business, certainly ruining everyone else's evening, :o

OK, this might be entertaining for you. So here goes the story. I suggest you read it through, because as it starts boring, it gets really saucy near the end, and I don't mean tartar sauce, mate.

I fancied a visit to the local chippy today, Simons Fish and Chips, and I happened to have a COUPON from a local magazine PROMISING a FREE BEER if you order a fish and chips. The coupon was from a magazine that was no older than 6 months old and there was NO expiry date on it. Even so, I figured, this being Thailand, I best present said coupon and verify it is still good, just in case.

So in I walks and first thing I do is present the coupon for inspection to the waitress and ask her if this is good for a free beer. She said, in ENGLISH, and quite clearly, YES. So I thought (naively) that would be the end of it, ordered my fish and chips and FREE BEER, and off the waitress went (SHE KEPT THE COUPON).

BTW, not to be too greedy, I made it clear a CHANG beer was going to be OK, because I didn't want to take advantage of their generosity. Normally, I prefer pricier brands but considering this was going to be FREE I thought I would show some consideration

Now as a little background, this isn't my first visit to this chippy, nor am I a regular customer, nor have I always arrived solo. There are three choices for fish and chips there, Icelandic cod (small), Icelandic cod (large), and local non-cod fish. Their prices aren't cheap but on previous visits I have remarked this was the best fried Cod (the Icelandic) I have ever had (not saying much as I am a damnn Yank). Also, I really love(d) the fries, they are of the soft British style. I say love(d) because i am now BANNED FOR LIFE.

Anyways, the Chang arrives and also the fish and chips plate. Now, I must say the fish looked well OFF PAR. There was a large gap where batter should have been and it was also DRIPPING GREASE, which was a condition I never noticed before at this fishy establishment. I ate away anyway, thinking appearances aren't always the important thing, and you know what?, I strongly suspect they had given me LOCAL FISH, not Icelandic (much more expensive) COD as I had ordered. The taste was really that different. Now I couldn't prove in a million years that was really the case, but I still think it might have been. I remember thinking, oh geez. its because of the FREE BEER coupon they decided to get "paid" anyway by giving me the lower grade fish, and also thinking, you really can't get anything free in Thailand!

I ate it all up and must say the fries were lovely as usual. The bill is presented. Can't say I was very SHOCKED that the beer was on the bill. Of course, I immediately say mai chai and off the waitress goes. Then I meet the proprioter of the fried food joint, and I must say, he is not a very DIPLOMATIC fellow. Not diplomatic in the least. In a very direct unfriendly tone he announces that he will not honor his coupon, and when I object, he doesn't miss a beat and threatens to CALL THE POLICE. He then tells me "THIS IS NOT AMERICA, THIS IS THAILAND" ... meaning what? That businesses can publish documents in the media and legally not honor them here? Then he explains that his waitresses DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH and although I can't argue that, I can argue the coupon was clearly ACCEPTED by one of his employees, who had clearly agreed a FREE BEER was in order.

Now as you might have guessed, this is about more than a free beer. This man offended my sensibilities. What good is his word if he pays for an ad for a coupon he doesn't honor, and then doesn't back up his own employee's communications to customers? And what kind of business owner calls the POLICE over a dispute about a VALID coupon (with no expiry date)? Someone who also passes on lower grade fish? Who knows. I can't prove it. After all, this is Thailand, apparantly it is OK even for westerners to lie to other westerners.

In this "argument" I lost. I must have used swear words almost 10 times. The owner didn't once. And he did ban me for life from Simon's Fish and Chips. And, by the way, ultimately he did not call the police, although I was ready to pay up, he announced he would not take my money (and also of course NO FISH FOR YOU!). I say I lost because I really, really LOST MY TEMPER, and I know full well you are not supposed to do that in Thailand. However, I do wonder in the case of a farang behaving badly to another farang, in Thailand, whether that rule really applies.

BTW, near the end of this pleasant meal, the lovely waitress approached my table, and instead of the charming YES lady of before, she pointed at my coupon and incredibly rudely pointing to the English text which she said said MONDAYS ONLY! She then proceeded to THROW the coupon in my face. Now thats customer service for you! This is really the funniest part because there was NOTHING on the coupon about Mondays or any other day of the week.

I'll beat you to it. Yes, I should have asked the manager first before assuming the coupon would be honored. Didn't seem necessary based on the reaction of the waitress, but now I know better.

This post has been edited by Jingthing: 2007-04-29 20:39:32

Edited by cobra