90 Day Reporting For "bangkok Residents"

Today I did my first 90 day address reporting at the Immigration Bureau at Soi Suanplu in Bangkok. Had planned to mail it in using the following Immigration Bureau web site info. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days Had the envelopes ready/addressed, TM47 filled out, copies made of required docs, etc., and was getting ready to mail the package the day before via registered mail. But it turns out I needed to visit another location close to the Immigration Bureau so I decided just to report in person versus mailing the TM47 package.

What I found out during the reporting at the bureau was "since I lived in Bangkok I can not report my mail but must report in person." When my number was called and I went to the 90 Day Reporting window and handed the nice Window 3 immigration lady a copy of the reporting package I had almost mailed. She immediately pulled off all the attachments (i.e., copies of the passport, arrival/departure card) and just only took the TM47 and my passport and actual arrival/departure card which I had brought along. About 30 minutes later I got my passport, original arrival/departure card, and immigration stamped/signed/blessed bottom portion of the TM47 back documenting I had reported as required.

I was a little surprised she removed the attachments because I thought she needed copies and then I asked her, "I could have reported by mail, right?" She said, "No, since I live in Bangkok I must report in person to one of the immigration locatons in Bangkok. A I must report plus or minus 7 days of the 90 days." At least the plus or minus 7 days of 90 days info agreed with the immigration web link info.

Later in the morning I talked to another farang who had just reported and also lived in Bangkok, and he said "yea, you have to report in person if living in Bangkok." Would have been nice if the Immigration Bureau web site had specified that versus clearly implying anyone could report by mail regardless of where you live. Or am I missing something on the web site--it won't be the first time. :-)

Here's my question: Have any of your fine farangs which report on the TM47 your address "as a Bangkok residence" successfully reported via mail? That is, your TM47 don't get kicked back saying since you live in Bangkok you must report in person, we accepted your TM47 via mail this time but next time be sure to report in person, etc.? I would prefer avoid the in-person visit to the Immigration Bureau since it can be a pain getting there, waiting in line, etc.

Edited by Pib

Bangkok residents were always discouraged to report by mail as they can do in person quite easily.

Guess it keeps Window 3 folks employed. :o But considering the traffic and parking in Bangkok which can be hellish, the reporting in person can be an experience one much prefers to avoid.

Bangkok residents were always discouraged to report by mail as they can do in person quite easily.

Guess it keeps Window 3 folks employed. :o But considering the traffic and parking in Bangkok which can be hellish, the reporting in person can be an experience one much prefers to avoid.

You are lucky. I have to drive 170 K to do mine. Then 170K home again. That is why I post it :D

You are lucky. I have to drive 170 K to do mine. Then 170K home again. That is why I post :D

I'm about 60 km and an hour and a half from Suan Plu, not counting time looking for parking, so I normally mail mine in. On occasion when I do need to hit SP, I'll often park in the Sukumvit area then take the Subway to the Lumpini station, then a #62 bus if one's passing by, or a taxi, to Immigration. Need to do my retirement extension in February but for these annual occasions, I leave home out here at Klong 10, Thanyaburi. 23 km east of Rangsit/Future Park on the road to Phnom Penh, Hwy 305, at 0500 hrs, park on Pat Pong Road, have breakfast and read the paper at the Madrid (good eats there!), then about 0730 get over to Suan Plu and get in line.

Mac

There is an immigration office near the airport. It was at the Novotel but moved. This topic has info, directions and phone number.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Immigration-...el-t191783.html

For 90 day reports the BOI one stop center can be used. Address and etc. from a members post.

Rasa Tower complex is on Pahonyothin Road, at the corner of Soi Pahonyothin 19. Easy to find... approx 200 metres from Central Lad Prao going towards Major Cineplex Ratchayothin, and opposite from the old Magicland amusement park.

The One Stop Visa And Work Permit Center / Board Of Investment office is on the 16th floor of Tower II.

The full address is 555 Pahonyothin Road, Chatuchak, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand.

Link to map: http://th.pagenation.com/bkk/Rasa%20Tower_...627_13.8199.map

There is an immigration office near the airport. It was at the Novotel but moved. This topic has info, directions and phone number.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Immigration-...el-t191783.html

For 90 day reports the BOI one stop center can be used. Address and etc. from a members post.

Rasa Tower complex is on Pahonyothin Road, at the corner of Soi Pahonyothin 19. Easy to find... approx 200 metres from Central Lad Prao going towards Major Cineplex Ratchayothin, and opposite from the old Magicland amusement park.

The One Stop Visa And Work Permit Center / Board Of Investment office is on the 16th floor of Tower II.

The full address is 555 Pahonyothin Road, Chatuchak, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand.

Link to map: http://th.pagenation.com/bkk/Rasa%20Tower_...627_13.8199.map

Thanks for posting that link. It does pay to read TV forums. I am located in Latkrabang and was unaware of that office until today.

The 90 day reporting is easy to forget and whether your a few days or a few months late it's the same 2k fine. Funny thing is there's no stamp in your passport. So when you go for your yearly extension how do they actually know if did the reporting? I've heard some ppl just don't bother.

This regulation has been on the books for ages, but they only started enforcing it about 10 years ago and they made it retrospective which meant a bit of a windfall.

name='Smithson' date='2008-12-30 09:59:26' post='2437258

The 90 day reporting is easy to forget and whether your a few days or a few months late it's the same 2k fine. Funny thing is there's no stamp in your passport. So when you go for your yearly extension how do they actually know if did the reporting? I've heard some ppl just don't bother.

They usually staple a receipt in your passport. I am sure they enter it into the computer or in your file.

And you do get 7 days either side of the date to do it.

This regulation has been on the books for ages, but they only started enforcing it about 10 years ago and they made it retrospective which meant a bit of a windfall.

If you go for your extension and don't have the bottom section of the report form for your last report you will pay the 2000 baht fine.

My immigration office stamped my next report date on it. That is one reminder.

I set up a reminder on my phone for the day before my report is due so there was no way to forget. Plus my wife knows the date and that it will cost 2000 baht for being late. She is not going to forget it.

Discouraged is the operative word here, but not banned according to the rules.

I do live in BKK and have reported my mail ever since it was possible and never had a problem.

If report in person no copies are required, by mail you have to attach copies of PP and departure card which will be returned in the mail.

Send by EMS and track online and print out receipts that Immigration has received your mail.

opalhort

That is not always the case, 90 day address reporting and extensions are not connected. For your first ever extension the immigration officer may explain the 90 day report procedure, and there is a card with the date when to report fixed to your passport. On subsequent application for extensions I personally have never been asked anything about the 90 day proof of reporting slip (TM47).

What if you left the country and re-entered a month before you were due to apply for an extension?, your old reporting slip is no longer valid,and your 90 days start from the date of your entry stamp in the passport. Of course the Immigration Police would see this as you would have a new TM6 and new stamps in your passport.

Sorry if anyone confused!, this is a reply to Post No 10

Edited by phutoie2

If you are working, incapacitated or just plain busy, a third party can make the report for you.

You just complete the form.

In 4 years of work in Bangkok I never every visited the Suan Phlu office,

even though I lived very close.

If you are working, incapacitated or just plain busy, a third party can make the report for you.

You just complete the form.

In 4 years of work in Bangkok I never every visited the Suan Phlu office,

even though I lived very close.

Does this mean you have someone phyically report for you (i.e., third party) or you use the mail option? Thanks.

Does this mean you have someone phyically report for you (i.e., third party) or you use the mail option? Thanks.

You can let anybody (wife, gf, maid, messanger etc.) do the reporting for you as long as they carry all the original documents required.

opalhort

The form has a section where you kind of grant a power of attorney for someone else to act for you.

This is true of most of the immigration forms.

Sorry, astral but I think you are wrong on this point.

The form TM. 47 has no such section and "power of attorney" is not required for 90-days reporting.

For example: just give your PP, TM.6 card, signed and filled in TM.47 form and if have the last reporting receipt (all ORIGINALS - no copies needed!) to your maid, messanger or motorcycle taxi driver you trust and they can do it on your behalf.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

I did report through mail for my mother's 90 days notification with NO PROBLEMS. I sent through Registered Post on 27/10/08 and I received the reply from them with in about 14 days.

I do live in Bangkok in Rama 3, Yannawa (about 5 Km from Sua Plu).

I will keep on doing this until I hear from the immigration otherwise, say by rejection of my mail. You should never ask these folks should I do this or not? You will get a different reply from different persons at the same time of day or even different days. All we have to do is take the least common denominator of all (take the easier way out without asking a soul) and wait for consequences later. 99% of the time it will be OK. And, if not OK, so what... we have done very best and say Ko Thot Ka (Sorry).. and do it again by taking the most troublesome option with 100% clearance this time.

Hope you guys understand what I mean.

Just a small (and probably very naive) question...

I am here since June 2008, on a non imm B muliple, holding a workpermit. Never made it for 90 days in BKK, as I travel regularly.

Should I do this reporting (never did), or is traveling in and out the counrty covering it?

Thank you...

Ketsara

I am here since June 2008, on a non imm B muliple, holding a workpermit. Never made it for 90 days in BKK, as I travel regularly.

Should I do this reporting (never did), or is traveling in and out the counrty covering it?

Thank you...

Ketsara

You are never in Thailand for 90 days so do not have to.

Thank you...

Ketsara

You don't have to make 90 day reports if you are on a mutliple entry visa.

You are never in the country for more than 90 days at one time.

It only appliies if you are on an extension of stay and remain in the country for more than 90 days.

I don't understand why the above question is being asked over and over again.

The heading of the relevant form (TM.47) is quite clear in my opinion:

"FORM FOR ALIEN TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS"

opalhort

(sorry mods, couldn't help myself to comment on this)

Another, probably very ignorant question, but I'm only here for the holidays, bills were not paid while I was gone so I'm on the old call-up, 28 kb/s version so the surf is absolutely not up!

I have a non-immigrant O multiple visa, untill March 23. Am leaving mid. Jan, and wont be back before beginning of April. Can I do an extension of the visa while I'm here now?

Appreciate any answer to this, and will accept the bamboo stick or ruler over my fingers for not paying attention in class.

Thanks. :o

When you go for your yearly extension,as I just did, they asked for my last 90 day reporting receipt, which I of course had with me. For many years living in Bangkapi i used to mail without aproblemas it saved me half a day missing work or using my day off.This suddenly came to an end. Whethr you mail or go in person to me makes no difference but we must remeber there is no logic in most decisons they make and can someone please tell me "why do they need to know your address ?" Can we expect a visit ?? I dont thinks so ,its a lot of nonsense.

When you go for your yearly extension,as I just did, they asked for my last 90 day reporting receipt, which I of course had with me. For many years living in Bangkapi i used to mail without aproblemas it saved me half a day missing work or using my day off.This suddenly came to an end. Whethr you mail or go in person to me makes no difference but we must remeber there is no logic in most decisons they make and can someone please tell me "why do they need to know your address ?" Can we expect a visit ?? I dont thinks so ,its a lot of nonsense.

Governments like to know where people, particularly foreigners, are in their country. And its for various reasons...security, even your own, or for your relatives if something happens to you, police investigations, etc etc. Thats why they always want to keep or copy your passport at hotels, resorts etc. Even if you rent an apartment long enough the manager will seek you out for a copy as well. The information is recorded and sent to relevent govt depts periodically. There are few countries in the world where some sort of tracking doesnt go on. I can even remember staying for months in a small camping ground in Spain years ago where I was curious as to why the police used to make midnight calls to the office every night. On an excuse one night I entered the office to find them going through all the residents passports and making notes. Its common.

Where you say, "This suddenly came to an end." Do you mean immigration started rejecting your address reporting by mail and you started reporting in person?

Where you say, "This suddenly came to an end." Do you mean immigration started rejecting your address reporting by mail and you started reporting in person?

On my last reporting by mail my receipt etc was not returned after 10 days in the reply paid envelope. When I rang them at first thay said they didnt have it. I asked them to check again and it was there.The reason given was "that the man was very busy" I asked does that mean if I had come in I would have to waited at Immigration for 10 days ! Sarcasm is never a good ploy in Thailand as you know.They then informed ,even after 3 years of reporting by mail , that it was no longer permitted. To save the congestion I thought it was good idea and took up no more time obviously. The first time I reported after that I was there for nearly 3 hours waiting in the queue actually sitting in front of a sign that read' we are sorry for the convenience we are making new system "Now I am in Chiang mai and it takes about 10 minutes while I have a coffee in a pleasant environement. I despise Suan Phlu iwith apassion t must rate as one of the worlds worst Immigration Departments for sheer frustration and crowding.

name='Smithson' date='2008-12-30 09:59:26' post='2437258

They usually staple a receipt in your passport. I am sure they enter it into the computer or in your file.

And you do get 7 days either side of the date to do it.

Is it safe to assume that if I fly out of the country within 7 days after my report due date, I don't need to make the 90 day report? Also, has anyone ever not been able to get a re-entry permit at the airport for any reason other than the PAD? I am planning to leave by coincidence within 7 days after my report date. I am on my first extension and don't want to mess it up as

it would also give me air ticket problems with a round trip originating in BKK.