US Embassy Bangkok - Warden Message - 12/29/2008

Mapguy

I responded to the most recent warden message (below), as follows below. I note that the embassy is located on Wireless Road in Bangkok, perhaps more aptly renamed "Wireloose Road."

Re: Embassy Bangkok - Warden Message - 12/29/2008

I have lived in Thailand for a few years. These years have not been easy years for Thailand, but I think that this warden message is totally overstated and unnecessary. It strikes me more as a "CYA" message serving the U.S. Department of State rather than being truly thoughtful and sensible to realities in Thailand. Frankly, to avoid personal harm, I would advise residents and travelers to stay off the road --- especially at night --- during the holiday season where the chance of personal harm is enormously more likely. And --- tragically --- to stay out of "20-somethings" rock concert halls.

/s/

On Dec 30, 2008, at 5:44 AM, US Department of State Warden Message wrote:

Warden Message: Holiday Celebrations

American citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand during this holiday season are reminded that bombings have occurred in the country, including Bangkok specifically, during the New Year's celebratory events in past years. Given Thailand's experience with violence during this time of year and the currently dynamic political environment, American should remain vigilant of their surroundings at all times and exercise caution in areas of large public gatherings. American citizens are encouraged to avoid large public crowds whenever possible.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

American citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

I responded to the most recent warden message (below), as follows below. I note that the embassy is located on Wireless Road in Bangkok, perhaps more aptly renamed "Wireloose Road."

I have lived in Thailand for a few years. These years have not been easy years for Thailand, but I think that this warden message is totally overstated and unnecessary. It strikes me more as a "CYA" message serving the U.S. Department of State rather than being truly thoughtful and sensible to realities in Thailand. Frankly, to avoid personal harm, I would advise residents and travelers to stay off the road --- especially at night --- during the holiday season where the chance of personal harm is enormously more likely. And --- tragically --- to stay out of "20-somethings" rock concert halls.

/s/

American citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand during this holiday season are reminded that bombings have occurred in the country, including Bangkok specifically, during the New Year's celebratory events in past years. Given Thailand's experience with violence during this time of year and the currently dynamic political environment, American should remain vigilant of their surroundings at all times and exercise caution in areas of large public gatherings. American citizens are encouraged to avoid large public crowds whenever possible.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

American citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

it is not overstated or unnecessary. the advice was sanctioned at a high level. it is for tv members to take the advice or not - their choice

but please respect a government's right to issue a warning.

intolerance of other people's views seems to be a requisite for some members in tv

it is not overstated or unnecessary. the advice was sanctioned at a high level. it is for tv members to take the advice or not - their choice

intolerance of other people's views seems to be a requisite for some members in tv

I received this message as well and I'm not even a Yank!

I also think the message was overstated and unnecessary. Completely agree with Mapguy that better advice from the embassy would be to warn tourists about the crap driving ability of many Thai drivers and their enthusiasm to drive while drunk.

Any advice sanctioned at a high level from the States should be ridiculed anyway.

Edited by Loaded

I don't find the warnings the slightest bit alarmist. Given the recent history of holiday bombings in Bangkok, it is sound advice to avoid large public celebrations unless for some reason you need to be there. I passed on the Pattaya pier New Year's party this year, partly because I feel it would be a prime terrorism target but also in previous years it seemed to have stampede potential when everyone wanted to leave at the same time. Not my idea of a good time. (People were aggressively pushing each other and it was easy to imagine if there some kind of panic, things could quickly go haywire.)

Edited by Jingthing

I don't find the warnings the slightest bit alarmist. Given the recent history of holiday bombings in Bangkok, it is sound advice to avoid large public celebrations unless for some reason you need to be there. I passed on the Pattaya pier New Year's party this year, partly because I feel it would be a prime terrorism target but also in previous years it seemed to have stampede potential when everyone wanted to leave at the same time. Not my idea of a good time. (People were aggressively pushing each other and it was easy to imagine if there some kind of panic, things could quickly go haywire.)

glad u agree

why are so many tv posters so intolerant??

it's against forum rules to flame but it is still very prevalent here

expressing an opinion is fine ; thinking you are always right is not.

I think despite the Southern unrest, a military coup and the ongoing political situation in Thailand, only one foreigner lost his life (Hat Yai about 3 years ago). Better to warn against drunk policemen in Kanchanaburi and Pai - that would save lives.

How many foreigners die in the States because handguns are so easy to obtain. Better to advise against travel to the States.

It's all common sense and if one choses to listen that is their prerogative. I would like to hear what my home country and others decide is harmful. Whether I choose to react is my choice, just as it yours. Information does not harm one. Sort of like reading the threads on this forum, some replies are very informative and others are BS.... Hopefully you are educated and have the brains enough to know what it what.

As always, let the USA bashing begin. (Did your home country provide you with a warning? Hmmmmm)

Its not just the US Govt, many governments have similar warnings....have a look at the Australian & New Zealand warnings. I would imagine some of the European Govts have done the same.

The Govt's have an obligation to put such things forward, because if they don't & someone is injured...ALL THE <deleted> come out of the woodwork and try to blame officials half a world away.

Basically they havent said anything wrong....if you read between the lines they are simply asking people to take care and be mindful of their surroundings.....govts shouldnt need to do that BUT common sense isnt all that common, is it? :o

And do not overestimate nor underestimate these messages!

just remember the Suvannabhum Experience.... and there is no warning.. I would just love to read the postings..

However there is a legality problem attached to it, insurance claims.... remember, they are no charity institutions!

Most people have been learned to use common sense instead of having to look at what the nanny state leaders have to say. I absolutely don't understand these simple warnings and the reactions to them.

Are people really that ignorant that they need these things? Or is it just to maintain the level of fear which seems to be necessary in some societies.

So how many Americans were bombed in Bangkok this New Year? Or did they all listen to this sage advice and avoid the Traditional New Year 'bomb the American' festival?

I'm not gonna bash the US but I think that if you compare it to the UK (or maybe some other European places), there is a big difference. The US is not generally (tho' with some petty enormous and tragic exceptions) used to its citizens being bombed on their own soil. The Brits are- the IRA did it for years when I was working in London (and not just in London either). I remember my English MIL phoning us before when there were bombings in BKK saying 'oh you must come home'- we were like 'are you for real?'

So this makes them worried about this sort of thing.

Alternatively you may consider this to be just another part of the 'be very afraid' message that Western governments have been flogging for the last 10 years or so.

It is not the point that there were no bombings this year. The warning never said we are sure there will be bombings. It merely implied the chance of events exists based on previous ones and also perhaps current intelligence. Such gentle warning don't harm anyone. Hopefully, they will add a new warning about avoiding all crowded Thai nightclubs or at least, stay near a working exit. And yes, it is not only US embassies that issue travel warnings.

Edited by Jingthing

So how many Americans were bombed in Bangkok this New Year? Or did they all listen to this sage advice and avoid the Traditional New Year 'bomb the American' festival?

I'm not gonna bash the US but I think that if you compare it to the UK (or maybe some other European places), there is a big difference. The US is not generally (tho' with some petty enormous and tragic exceptions) used to its citizens being bombed on their own soil. The Brits are- the IRA did it for years when I was working in London (and not just in London either). I remember my English MIL phoning us before when there were bombings in BKK saying 'oh you must come home'- we were like 'are you for real?'

Alternatively you may consider this to be just another part of the 'be very afraid' message that Western governments have been flogging for the last 10 years or so.

....thought you were going to go on about the big conspiracy theory then slip, whats going on, haven't you noticed the litigation thing going on these days in western society these days? Ones governement must assume that everyone in their country is even more stupid than the countries leader, that won't bring any joy to dingdongrb.... :o (sorry bloke thats another cheap shot & now i await to be slapped down - AGAIN)

Anyway, build a bridge and get over it. Soon you won't have to worry about ur MIL on the telephone because it will be too expensive for the pomes to use telephone....with the value of the pound and all that :D

Anyway, im going to get back into my box, I suggest you do the same

It's all common sense and if one choses to listen that is their prerogative. I would like to hear what my home country and others decide is harmful. Whether I choose to react is my choice, just as it yours. Information does not harm one. Sort of like reading the threads on this forum, some replies are very informative and others are BS.... Hopefully you are educated and have the brains enough to know what it what.

As always, let the USA bashing begin. (Did your home country provide you with a warning? Hmmmmm)

After the Bali bombings the Australian government issued a travel warning about Indonesia almost a daily basis.

It's called covering your arse.

I am so glad that TV has such well informed folks that they can see through anything. These advisories are a wise thing and helpful to many, many people. They are nothing more or less than a caution. If you have guests in town, if you have children, you might want to take extra caution--that's all. These advisories are used by lots of people who travel to places for the first time. They give folks a starting point.

....thought you were going to go on about the big conspiracy theory then slip, whats going on, haven't you noticed the litigation thing going on these days in western society these days? Ones governement must assume that everyone in their country is even more stupid than the countries leader, that won't bring any joy to dingdongrb.... :o (sorry bloke thats another cheap shot & now i await to be slapped down - AGAIN)

Anyway, build a bridge and get over it. Soon you won't have to worry about ur MIL on the telephone because it will be too expensive for the pomes to use telephone....with the value of the pound and all that :D

Anyway, im going to get back into my box, I suggest you do the same

What? Me worry???

post-46350-1230898558_thumb.jpg

/s/

The advice should be heeded, especially if you are coming here as a tourist...i.e. check the small print on your travel insurance, you may find you are not covered!

Given the ratio of people dieying in bombings versus in the traffic maybe some of the previous posters thought it would be a better balanced view if the warning was against those thing that in reality had a chance to affect tourists and not just things that have a lotto-winning-chance of occuring.

/s/

The advice should be heeded, especially if you are coming here as a tourist...i.e. check the small print on your travel insurance, you may find you are not covered!

This post is ambiguous so I want to spell it out: the very warning by the US embassy will invalidate many travel insurance polices (almost all 'off-the-shelf' types). So I think the embassy is being deeply irresponsble. Had there been bombings US citizens would have found themselves paying for the hopsital bills.

It seems the only option nowadays is to buy war insurance, no matter where you go. :D You will need to contact a specialist insurance broker: just google them. This is a ridiculous state of affairs. :o

warning by the US embassy will invalidate many travel insurance polices

it's not a warning from the department of state advising not to visit - only to be vigilant. So those policies should still be valid

The message sounded a bit off so I went to look it up. It said this:

In the past, there have at times been bombings in Thailand, and Bangkok specifically, during the New Year holiday period. With that in mind and considering the changing political environment in Thailand over the last several months, we advise American citizens to exercise good judgment and common sense in deciding how and where to enjoy their New Year’s celebrations.

We remind American citizens to pay attention to their surroundings, be aware, and as always, avoid large crowds in public when possible.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health-information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

American citizens traveling or residing in Thailand are encouraged to register with the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy. The Embassy is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

How long ago was it that foreigners were injured on NYE in BKK by bomb/grenades? oh ... well; not that long ago ...

It made sense to make a simple statement saying 'be aware of your surroundings and avoid large crowds when possible'.

(I am not surprised to see some of the tin-hat crowd saying how bad it is that a government would remind it's citizens that attacks had happened recently!)

Was it a year? or 2 years ago? .. time flies

Edited by jdinasia

So - some freak(s) placed some poor, weak, amateurishly made socalled "bombs" in some garbage bags while others threw some hand grenades in Bangkok some new years eve a couple of years ago while Thailand were in its first months after a military coup that has now been replaced by "something different". I may add that there even were some guys on a motor bike in the otherwise quiet city of Chiang Mai that made a ride by throwin of a handgrenade into a muslim moske and thereby devastated the legs of an attendant the next morning... Be warned, since this has happened once, better be very careful and better reconsider at least twice before travelling to Chiang Mai - any time in whatever may remain of your lifetime

How about this warning to travellers to USA: Don't ever get nearer than 500 meters to any tall buildings, USA's recent history proves that there is a great chance that a sniper might have taken position as to shoot at whomever might be in shooting range. Particularly, avoid any school compounds and college/university campus. Recent history proves that these are places where fellow students might get beserk, climb a rooftop and shoot at anything that moves - be it school mates or tourists.

Regarding danger for Tourists, perhaps the Australian government could start to issue warnings to tourists 1/about the dangers of driving in Australia on public and Bank Holidays this xmas and new year 47 dead and over 300 injured and the holidays are not over yet!! 2/ The dangers of using long distance trains or any trains infact in Northern Queensland where we have at least 1 major crash or derailment a month