Cheap Second Hand Cars

tomartoh

Similar with Peugeot 406. Not a bad lokking car, specially the 5 door ones (Hatchback) looks great.

They never made a hatchback 406!!!! Only ever available as saloon, estate or coupe!

Second, why would you want to spend 20,000 on fixing the suspension on a Hundai Excel? Cost me less than that to do the springs, shocks, bushes, steering joints and diff on my Mercedes! Know which one I would prefer and which one will last longer!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar with Peugeot 406. Not a bad lokking car, specially the 5 door ones (Hatchback) looks great.

They never made a hatchback 406!!!! Only ever available as saloon, estate or coupe!

Second, why would you want to spend 20,000 on fixing the suspension on a Hundai Excel? Cost me less than that to do the springs, shocks, bushes, steering joints and diff on my Mercedes! Know which one I would prefer and which one will last longer!

Peugeot 406: Yes you are right. it was my fault t thought the 306. 306 had Hatch backs. 406 are bigger ones, i love the design, not much exirience with them. Never had one, but they look great and i guess they are good cars.

Suspension costs: Benz is rear wheel drive. Specially the one you have is a very strong model. They never have any serious troubles with all the suspension parts like FWD cars. This is allways what i try to tell peaple, when they buy a car: If you buy a RWD car, like a old Nissan Cefiro, or a Toyota Crown, BMW, Benz, etc, you''ll never facing expensive costs for suspensions. But FWD cars are mosthly all f...kced up in the front end after 10 years. But there is also two ways to fix a car. For example I mean i don't change only one shock absorber in the front, because the otherone will get brocken next month. So you'll spend two times in the garages. And if you change the shock absorbers, you change the rubbermount-bearring on the top as well, specially when they cracked a little bit already. Otherwise you have to take the whole struts out again after next month. Therefore fix it correct, but only once.

Peugeot 406: Yes you are right. it was my fault t thought the 306. 306 had Hatch backs. 406 are bigger ones, i love the design, not much exirience with them. Never had one, but they look great and i guess they are good cars.

Suspension costs: Benz is rear wheel drive. Specially the one you have is a very strong model. They never have any serious troubles with all the suspension parts like FWD cars. This is allways what i try to tell peaple, when they buy a car: If you buy a RWD car, like a old Nissan Cefiro, or a Toyota Crown, BMW, Benz, etc, you''ll never facing expensive costs for suspensions. But FWD cars are mosthly all f...kced up in the front end after 10 years. But there is also two ways to fix a car. For example I mean i don't change only one shock absorber in the front, because the otherone will get brocken next month. So you'll spend two times in the garages. And if you change the shock absorbers, you change the rubbermount-bearring on the top as well, specially when they cracked a little bit already. Otherwise you have to take the whole struts out again after next month. Therefore fix it correct, but only once.

Yes, I agree with you! Almost every front wheel drive car over 7-10 years old I have been in in Thailand has had serious suspension and drive train problems! So far my 30 year old Mercedes has been brilliant! Rides beautifully and just keeps going. Parts have been cheap and plentiful! In the long run I think the old Mercedes diesels are about the cheapest things to run!

• 3 weeks later...
Arran P

work was done ok and until brake pads and tyres wear out i hope everything else will be ok., didnt feel cheated and no garage tried to load me up with unnecessary jobs. all work done there and then

Which garage did you go to, that they didn't cheat you? Can you recommend? :o

junk of david

most of work done at different places in chiang mai

if c m any use for you i can dig out the addresses etc

volvo still running ok, really good nippy auto gear box for these northern hills, maybe why i only get 9km/l

oh, unfortunately I live in Bkk!

Chiang Mai garages wouldn't do me any good.

Nothing major with my car yet, but it's bound to happen eventually.

Of course, I want to avoid the expensive "official" Toyota service center.

Anyone else wana recommend a good repair shop/garage in Bangkok which doesn't cheat farang?

:o

Edited by junkofdavid2

• 1 month later...

Hi. , my friends at the Volvo mania Club . . . has a new garage they are really nice guys they dont cheat you ! . . i had use there other repair shop outside Pattaya many times . . Cheap and professional . . .

http://www.volvomania.com/home/index.php

Go here and ask them were the adress are in BKK . , http://www.volvomania.com/home/index.php?name=contact

I think this is your best option around !

Edited by oMega69

• 1 year later...
I just cant, i just cant bring myself to pay 100.000 baht for a car thats 5000 baht back home, ok you can say it has no relevance but id rather use public transport than drive one of those piles !,.and anyway ,someone that knows me might see me, and i couldnt face that,. :D

Yes the 2nd hand prices continue to disillusion me in Thailand... I guess you need to think of it like this. I bought a 300,000bt Honda Civic, which would have cost the equiv. of 150,000bt in Aussie. Yes a rip off in Thailand. Yet when sold 3 years later I got 250,000bt for it, that's only 17,000bt depreciation per year (1450bt pm) on some cars.

If renting the same car in Thailand it would have cost me 16-20000bt pm (Approx 200,000bt pa).

Only way to look at it- or you drive yourself CRAZY thinking- this stupid thing is worth less than half this in my own country.

I NEVER see any cars under 100K now under 18yo. Out of curiosity I went to the website the OP advised, clicked Nissan Sunny, and no such thing as a 40 or 50,000bt Nissan Sunny. Not sure which world you bought and sold ur Nissan Sunny in... Not this one... :):D

2nd hand car imports are taxed 380%

I just cant, i just cant bring myself to pay 100.000 baht for a car thats 5000 baht back home, ok you can say it has no relevance but id rather use public transport than drive one of those piles !,.and anyway ,someone that knows me might see me, and i couldnt face that,. :)

I agree with you 100%. Buying a and piece of ***** will give you way to many headaches in the future. I would rather ride the bus myself.

I just cant, i just cant bring myself to pay 100.000 baht for a car thats 5000 baht back home, ok you can say it has no relevance but id rather use public transport than drive one of those piles !,.and anyway ,someone that knows me might see me, and i couldnt face that,. :)

I agree with you 100%. Buying a and piece of ***** will give you way to many headaches in the future. I would rather ride the bus myself.

100'k overhere is like a 700 Dollar car in US, But we are not in US, there is the problem. Spend about 300'k and you'll get something decent, like a 98' Nissan Cefiro or a 00 to 02 Toyota Soluna (not the Vios, they cost more). what ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I was lucky. I bought a 1996 Nissan NV for 110,000 Baht almost four years ago. It was fine for the first year, but I knew it needed some work. I tried the local shop, they were a rip off. I took it to Nissan, had a brake job, all four wheels, new belts, hoses, coolant, spark plug wires, air filter and oil change with filter. All part were original, they had six guys working on my car, invoice clearly written, with part numbers etc. It was like 15,000 Baht. New Michelin tires I think were about 9,000 Baht installed. Added a bit of coolant to the AC at the AC shop, new battery last year. Almost new now! It still needs to have the seats re-covered... Just passed 100,000 KM.. It has a 1600 CC 5 speed, and is light weight, but has a carryboy (camper shell) so great for shopping in the rain or taking the dog to the vet. If I were to buy a new truck, it would probably be an Isuzu (spelling?) D Max. Very comfortable, easy to drive. But I rarely drive off the island and usually drive my 13 year old Honda motorbike that looks new (35,000 KM) and is a 110CC 2 stroke. Hauls ass! Oh, that was 10,000 Baht four years ago. I also bought a Honda Wave used 12,000 Baht, cheap to keep! Cars are expensive here, even when they are made in Thailand. But parts and labor are way cheaper than the US or anywhere else I've been!

thaicbr

What you bought is about what we [gf and i] wanted. Unfortunately i was overuled for a mazda at 200,000 and she paid 375,000 for an isuzu, similar spec to yours and on the drip at 6%. We are just having one of our bust ups, which i think this time is terminal. I am stuck with low price for car as i am wanting to buy a tiger boxer 250. The fall off in tourism has been disastrous and the plummeting pound combined to see me down shit street. Plus now I dont have wp so no finance for me even though my daughter [bless her heart ] would pay finance. Mind you without the gf a pick up and a tiger boxer would be a good travelling combination

Anyhow my next thread on tv will be, 'are there any thai ladies who are not interested in momey'

yes, there are several thai ladies i know, who are not interested in farangs' money....

but then what does a viable farang has to offer in return.... to secure these productive ladies' affections, devotion, hearts and souls....

your personal look, charm, fame and wealth.... just most probably won't work and won't do....

so.... do you have any other viable human quality to offer....? :D

pm me, if you think that you are exceptional and you expect extraordinary in return.... :)

i can only assure you that most farangs would never come across these exceptional thai ladies.... :D

Edited by nakachalet