The "golden" Moment They Lost Your Business

Jingthing

I went to a Pizza Company restaurant and ordered my pizza both verbally and by pointing at the picture...of course the pizza came wrong. My wife explained that if I didn't eat and pay for the pizza, the waiter would have to pay for it. I said fine but the pizza is more expensive than the one I ordered, I'll eat it and pay the price of the original pizza I ordered, which is what happened. I didn't pay more, the waiter, if true, only paid a bit more and hopefully he learned from the experience.

I did leave a good tip.

Regards

I had a near exactly same experiance, wasnt aware about the waiter paying. But my g/f said the waitress would get into big trouble, i couldnt understand as, like yourself i had pointed to the picture, i also received some thai dish. I told the owner who was italian, i agreed to eat it at the same cost and we also received a free beer. Some pizza place on 2nd road Pattaya, now thats service.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my wife and I go to a restaurant and I order a western dish and my wife orders a thai dish and they are served 20 minutes apart.

:) this happened last night but there was 6 of us..we had "check binned" and then along comes the pak pak bung! like <deleted>...they had served the usual soup / fish / fried chicken / rice / somtam and then took 1 1 /2 hours to remember the veggies!

but this restaurant is usually good so they won't lose our custom over that but i expect the serving boy to be waterboarded for this

• 2 weeks later...

Well didnt lose my busines but stopped of at a bar on beach road pattaya after a couple of beers decided to have remy coca, was served it first sip started to gag as i absoultely hate scotch whisky called the staff over and told her the problem but she assured me it was remy, and i assured it was not, but it was mixed with whisky she calls the boss who takes the bottle and shows me the label, remy! remy!, no no is my reply, she says yes and produces a brand new bottle from under the counter un-opened at this point i want to prove them wrong as i am now peeved about it so i tell her that i will buy the remaining couple of shots in the bottle and you can pour me a new one from the un-opened bottle and we will see if they taste the same, away goes the new bottle, cannot cannot and then completely ignored should of seen there faces when they where about to be proved wrong not happy bunnys, check bin bye bye!!

I went to a Pizza Company restaurant and ordered my pizza both verbally and by pointing at the picture...of course the pizza came wrong. My wife explained that if I didn't eat and pay for the pizza, the waiter would have to pay for it. I said fine but the pizza is more expensive than the one I ordered, I'll eat it and pay the price of the original pizza I ordered, which is what happened. I didn't pay more, the waiter, if true, only paid a bit more and hopefully he learned from the experience.

I did leave a good tip.

Regards

I had a near exactly same experiance, wasnt aware about the waiter paying. But my g/f said the waitress would get into big trouble, i couldnt understand as, like yourself i had pointed to the picture, i also received some thai dish. I told the owner who was italian, i agreed to eat it at the same cost and we also received a free beer. Some pizza place on 2nd road Pattaya, now thats service.

Same Same here guys, yeah it's funny. :) Got a tip, listen to your wife, gf, she knows best. Don't make her upset. I know we "falangs" think different, every penny is one.

Edited by Datsun240Z

I did leave a good tip.

Regards

now thats service.

No, it's stupidness. Anyhow TIT, just let it be!

Bad service happens all over the place, however it is aggravated in Thailand because:

1. Many business owners see the farang as simply somebody who passes through and thus no serious comback on rip offs is likely.

2. Many business owners think that they will automatically win any legal dispute with a foreigner on account of being Thai.

3. Many business owners have no concept of the 'ongoing business model'.

4. Many business owners think foreigners are stupid and know nothing about Thai food.

They don't really give a toss what we think at the end of the day.

10+

The minute I go in any shop and they start following me............ I dont go out much now :)

I forgot closely followed by them wanting to sell me something I dont want, ie I want a green hat please "them" We have a nice red one, oh dear bye. "Frumpy grucker" that's me.

That makes 2 of us then.

That Andrew Biggs hits the target here with his article in the Bangkok Post

I'm not proud of myself. It's never nice when a farang bullies a Thai, especially one of the opposite sex who's a third his size. One of the ugliest sights in the world is some big hairy tourist shouting at an under-educated, under-privileged tuk-tuk driver on Silom because the guy doesn't understand. I hate that.

Readers new to Thailand should understand that department stores here are populated with wispy teenagers who have been blessed with a semblance of an education, but not enough for them to escape the life of a department store salesperson. Girls have beautiful faces devoid of wrinkles and powers of reasoning. Boys have permanent looks of perplexed anxiety, as if nobody has yet explained to them they are living, breathing beings.

At this particular department store there are two to every brand of sock; in other words, I came face to face with a gaggle of six teenagers watching the air some nine or 10 inches in front of their faces.

(I am not sure of the collective noun for department store salespeople, hence my choice of "gaggle", though I daresay "vacuum" or even "a lobotomy of sock sellers" may verge on being a little unkind, if not a touch more accurate.)

The Socks-O-Rama girl was eagerly trailing me, like a pet at dinner time, waiting for me to scoop up dozens and dozens of pairs to fulfill her daily target. The Lots O' Socks girl was nowhere to be found. Well, it was lunchtime, after all, and hel_l hath no fury like a Thai denied her midday nam prik pla tu.

I chose a couple of each brand, and the Socks-O-Rama girl tallied it up on her little calculator, took 20% off and announced: "633 baht kha." I handed her 1,000 baht and settled in for the six-minute wait.

Count the number of staff in any section of a department store. That is exactly the number of minutes you will wait between handing over your money and receiving your goods. If you pay by credit card, add the cashier staff and multiply by two.

I don't get frustrated by this. There are questions that, with the passing of time and accumulation of wisdom, I don't ask myself anymore because there are no answers. "What is the reason for living and dying?" You won't catch me pondering that one for too long. "Is there a God?" Let agnostics and atheists waste their breath on that one. And I certainly don't ponder the big one: "Why on earth does it require six people around a cashier to ring up my items and still take 10 <deleted>' minutes?"

I knew now I had to multiply the number of staff by 10. I should have gone straight to the camping equipment section, bought a tent and pitched it right then and there between the socks and the running shorts, because now I was REALLY in for a wait. Fifteen minutes, dear reader - it took a whole 15 minutes for little fibbing Socks-O-Rama to stand around as the six people at the cashier's desk chatted in hushed tones as they attempted the gargantuan task of ringing up a purchase. I could have built a campfire for my tent out of their wooden faces.

When I got home that night I asked myself what I had achieved that day. I guess I had at least made one little department store staff girl think about being honest with customers. And I did it without raising my voice or making a scene.

i've cut out most of the BS this made me laugh out loud..so true

http://www.bangkokpost.com/life/family/18881/sock-it-to-me

n Italy they do the same,you get a bill of meter long

they charge

table

spoon and fork

bread

sauce

butter

etc... etc...

Fake, in Italy the restaurant charge for "pane e coperto", bread and kind of service, it's illegal charge for anything else, the VAT is already included in the menu price; usually, but not everywhere, service is not charged, but waiters expect a tip.

Great Italian restaurant in Mae Haad (near), best gnocci and lasagna since I lived in Lido degli Estinsi, is that you?

Cheers

Little late, but yes it's me :)

(and no hidden charges)

Hilarious indeed- and so f** true.

The thing about service in thailand is sometimes it is beyond the call of duty, excellent. Smiles, chatting, efficiency- like nowhere else in the world. Return to the same shop a week later and someone has a hangover, or the boss was mean, or her boyfriend left her- (who knows) and you get no service to speak of.

I lived in Japan for 10 years - and the service, no matter what company, was always 100% good. Never great beyond limits(like occasionally you get in thai), never bad- just exactly the same- good. Kind of like Japan has a macdonalds of service throughout the country.

Hilarious indeed- and so f** true.

The thing about service in thailand is sometimes it is beyond the call of duty, excellent. Smiles, chatting, efficiency- like nowhere else in the world. Return to the same shop a week later and someone has a hangover, or the boss was mean, or her boyfriend left her- (who knows) and you get no service to speak of.

I lived in Japan for 10 years - and the service, no matter what company, was always 100% good. Never great beyond limits(like occasionally you get in thai), never bad- just exactly the same- good. Kind of like Japan has a macdonalds of service throughout the country.

Nice story, but he did a good thing, although the girl cried, she learned a lesson.

My pet hate is at the end of a meal, It may have been realy good great sevice nice place.

Then you ask for the bill so what dose the waiter do? he starts to clear the table ,performing tricks with balancing plates. I wont the bill so I can piss off and get on with my life but no still more titing about with table clothes crumbs ect.

I JUST WANT TO PAY AND GO!

The hassle of eating out these days due to the low standard of eateries and restaurants in Bangkok has resulted in me cooking a lot more at home, and now I even cook stuff like breads and sausage myself.

Tonight I am having a Salmon steak that has been marinading in champagne vinegar, white wine, fresh dill, black pepper, olive oil and lime, served with a mixed salad and boiled potatoes.

I find myself thinking, "I could do better than this" when I eat out more often these days.

Sounds good; what's for dinner tomorrow night? Tube steak smothered in pubes?

Your jealousy is noted.

Stick to fish and chips there's a good lad.

And they can't even get that right in Thailand. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of examples along this train of thought...

I was in Annie's restaurant a few years ago back when it was still on Saladaeng. We got there around 9:40pm. We had no idea what time the restaurant closed.... but it was busy and we were seated. We sat down and were handed menus. We asked for a wine menu. The waiter took our wine order and went off to get it. He brought it back, opened it, poured it..... it was now 10pm... and we said we'd like to order. The waiter said, "Sorry, the kitchen closes at 10." :) After an argument, we left without paying for the wine!

I was in Central Lad Phrao earlier this week. I was interested in buying a juicer. I talked to the seemingly fairly knowledgeable clerk about them for a bit of time. I narrowed it down to three models that he all recommended... the first he said was the best of the three.... the other two both ran a close second.

So, I said, "Okay, I'll take Model "A".

He said, "No have in stock."

I said, "When will you have it in stock."

He said, "I don't know. Maybe not get more."

So, I said, "Okay, I'll take Model "B".

He said, "I don't know. Maybe not get more."

So, I said, "Okay, I'll take Model "C".

He said, "I don't know. Maybe not get more"

I said, "Why have you spent the past 10 minutes talking to me about and recommending three products that you don't even have to sell me?"

I received a lovely Thai smile in response. :D

I walked out.

I dont go to the beach much - 3 reasons why from different Jomtien Deck-Chair concessions

1. The already mentioned Farang menu scheme, I didnt look at the menu but asked TGF to order for me which she did from her thai menu. When the bill comes prices are not as remembered and they bring the Farang menu to prove their case, then deny having any other menus!

2. I joined some friends who just finished a meal and ordered some more drinks. The operator comes along and kicks one of the chairs and says, you check bin now, and, in Thai, you're not spending enough! The Thais among us pursuaded us to comply but continue occupying the paid for chairs until dark while resupplying from Family Mart. LOL!

3. I saw from my car an attendant pocket a wallet that she had seen a drunk farang had just dropped. I got it back for him but she had already palmed the cash.

Pikeys!

Pattaya is not a foodie capital of the world. Like anywhere else, if you wait too late to order your dinner, you go hungry or get kwuap quality dinner. I get irked when bad coconuts are served anywhere as I like to drink them fresh. When I'm alone and wanting to eat late such as on one the islands where BBQ and pizza stop at 9PM, I'll order take away like at 8, get it, and make sure it's sealed in a bag to keep the ants out. And have it to eat after I'm done drinking or when I'm hungry. Like most places, there is no food for the late night party people when they need it most. 10PM to 4am. It's like that in most parts of the world and this is where McDonald's can fill in, but they're only located in the largest cities and Pattaya has one like 3 roads out from the beach.

I hate it when I visit a place where the staff put on this feeling that you're a burden or they can't serve up a real coffee in the morning and use fresh ingredients. You would get this treatment more often alone than with your partner or in a group. I had problems in Chiang Mai tourist restaurants and bars trying to over charge me while giving me crappy service. It's a common scam pulled on single dudes enjoying a few beers, but not getting wasted. I had to argue tooth and nail 3 times in Chiang Mai. I didn't do any drinking in Pattaya as no place seemed comfortable and friendly to me. It looked like one big scam.

Overall, in Thailand, more times than not, I got great service, awesomely healthy fresh food, and felt welcome, particularly at backpacker bungolow kitchens where single people are their main customer. You just got to go to the right places which is hard to identify, becuase a dirty little place with no toilet can be a great place to go while a cleaner looking styling place with a toilet can be downright awful or mediocre at best though this isn't concrete rule of thumb.

Edited by RobotTeacher

If you are unhappy about the service anywhere,or feel as if you have been over charged,simply take out your camera/phone,and take a pic of the business on the way out.The thais are a curious race and nine times out of ten will ask you 'why you take photo?',my reply is usually along the lines of 'so i can speak with people on the internet and tell them not to come here'.

The faces on these people after this are a sight to behold,it probably sinks in after a while,how many people COULD be actually reading this bad press.

PST.

Pattaya is not a foodie capital of the world. Like anywhere else, if you wait too late to order your dinner, you go hungry or get kwuap quality dinner. I get irked when bad coconuts are served anywhere as I like to drink them fresh. When I'm alone and wanting to eat late such as on one the islands where BBQ and pizza stop at 9PM, I'll order take away like at 8, get it, and make sure it's sealed in a bag to keep the ants out. And have it to eat after I'm done drinking or when I'm hungry. Like most places, there is no food for the late night party people when they need it most. 10PM to 4am. It's like that in most parts of the world and this is where McDonald's can fill in, but they're only located in the largest cities and Pattaya has one like 3 roads out from the beach.

I hate it when I visit a place where the staff put on this feeling that you're a burden or they can't serve up a real coffee in the morning and use fresh ingredients. You would get this treatment more often alone than with your partner or in a group. I had problems in Chiang Mai tourist restaurants and bars trying to over charge me while giving me crappy service. It's a common scam pulled on single dudes enjoying a few beers, but not getting wasted. I had to argue tooth and nail 3 times in Chiang Mai. I didn't do any drinking in Pattaya as no place seemed comfortable and friendly to me. It looked like one big scam.

Overall, in Thailand, more times than not, I got great service, awesomely healthy fresh food, and felt welcome, particularly at backpacker bungolow kitchens where single people are their main customer. You just got to go to the right places which is hard to identify, becuase a dirty little place with no toilet can be a great place to go while a cleaner looking styling place with a toilet can be downright awful or mediocre at best though this isn't concrete rule of thumb.

So you don't mind dirty little places to eat :)

So you don't mind dirty little places to eat :)

What's wrong with that? The best breakfast I ever had, was with the hilltribe....

Not a restaurant moment but loss of custom anyway.

A couple of days ago I wanted to buy one of those pressure sprays you wear on your back.

The nearest town to us has a whole host of agricultural shops so we did a price comparison.

The next to last shop quoted 3200 bht for a Chinese Mitsubishi spray.

I was tempted but wifey insisted we try the shop two doors down.

The sales guy had the same model for 3100 bht.

Out came my wallet.

Then the owner comes out.

He insisted his sales guy gave us the wrong price and that it should be 3600 bht.

We both walked straight back to the last shop and bought the same model for 3200 bht.

If you are unhappy about the service anywhere,or feel as if you have been over charged,simply take out your camera/phone,and take a pic of the business on the way out.The thais are a curious race and nine times out of ten will ask you 'why you take photo?',my reply is usually along the lines of 'so i can speak with people on the internet and tell them not to come here'.

The faces on these people after this are a sight to behold,it probably sinks in after a while,how many people COULD be actually reading this bad press.

PST.

THIS could be a really good idea in the Thai places where they DO undestand the internet and its implications. However!

Reading this thread carefully I have to say that

1. You get the level of service and food you pay for and

2. If you do NOT, here in Thailand, you had better just calmly, clearly and slowly explain why you will NEVER bother them again.

It MAY have some effect. But you will never know. Because you will stick by your word and never darken their doors again. Your lesson learned, their loss!

And to paraphrase what SO many posters have said: right now, there are more restaurants in Thailand than there are customers.

Need I say more?