Urgent Info Required On Business Opertunities And Relocation

Can anyone please assist me with some urgent info I require. I'm a South African resident and wish to relocate to Thailand. I have just been on holiday in Phuket - Patong. I'm in the process of selling my pharmaceutical manufacturing plant here in South Africa and should have approximately 100 million baht available for a business venture in Patong. I just need to find out and if anyone could answer my questions point for point.

1. I presume I can buy myself into Thailand for 10 million Baht - Is this correct?? Does this 10 million Baht still belong to you or does it go to the Thai Government??

2. If I so wish to work, can I do so and how does it work?? Do I have to have a business partner who is a Thai resident to be able to start a business?? Or can I just own my own business from the start??

3. If I wish to purchase a business premises in Patong, can I do so and will the building be mine?? I have read in some of the forums that the land never becomes yours. Is this true??

4. What is the period of residency that one can apply for?? In other words, once you have re-located to Thailand, how many years can you stay in Thailand if you have bought yourself in??

5. What are the tax implications on a business?? and your personal tax??

I would really appreciate any information that anyone can give me on the above. If you so wish to email me, please do so.

Regards

Warren Booth

Edited by wbooth

Can anyone please assist me with some urgent info I require. I'm a South African resident and wish to relocate to Thailand. I have just been on holiday in Phuket - Patong. I'm in the process of selling my pharmaceutical manufacturing plant here in South Africa and should have approximately 100 million baht available for a business venture in Patong. I just need to find out and if anyone could answer my questions point for point.

With 100 million baht I would not be trying my luck with advice from amateurs on a free board.

1. I presume I can buy myself into Thailand for 10 million Baht - Is this correct?? Does this 10 million Baht still belong to you or does it go to the Thai Government??

Are you coming in the trunk of a car? I think you could do better than 10 million baht.

If you're serious, contact one of the forum sponsors and other legal/business counsel. Spend a tiny bit of cash before you jump in.

With 100 million baht, you should live in Thailand a while before deciding what to do. You are not going to miss the opportunity of the lifetime.

Are you coming in the trunk of a car? I think you could do better than 10 million baht.

If you're serious, contact one of the forum sponsors and other legal/business counsel. Spend a tiny bit of cash before you jump in.

With 100 million baht, you should live in Thailand a while before deciding what to do. You are not going to miss the opportunity of the lifetime.

I'm very new to this forum so maybe you can direct me to the correct person?? How do I get to the forum Sponsor?? I'm still to young to sit and do nothing in Thailand. I need to work.

I find it amazing that someone with 100 million Baht to invest will ask on an anonymous internet forum the sort of questions he should be asking a professional adviser. I find it hard to believe that someone who has made that sort of money is incapable of searching the net, or does not employ someone who can.

Must be troll or it is very easy to make money out of pharmaceuticals In South Africa.

Edited by Chaimai

I find it amazing that someone with 100 million Baht to invest will ask on an anonymous internet forum the sort of questions he should be asking a professional adviser. I find it hard to believe that someone who has made that sort of money is incapable of searching the net, or does not employ someone who can.

Must be troll or it is very easy to make money out of pharmaceuticals In South Africa.

I'm definately not TROLL!! I just can't seem to find someone to answer my questions point for point. therefore I tried this forum to see whether someone who has re-located can advise me. Please don't think that I would just agree on everything that the person had to say and pack my bags and arrive in Thailand. I would do my homework prior. I just thought this forum would be of help as sometimes it's nice to hear from the horses mouth.

And, if I may ask, Why would it be easy to make money out of Pharmaceuticals in SA?? I've just been doing this business for some years now and the going rate for re-sale on such businesses are good. I'm just tired of doing this kind of business and I'm looking for a change. Don't you sometimes wish that you could also just change what you're doing??

I'm definately not TROLL!! I just can't seem to find someone to answer my questions point for point. therefore I tried this forum to see whether someone who has re-located can advise me. Please don't think that I would just agree on everything that the person had to say and pack my bags and arrive in Thailand. I would do my homework prior. I just thought this forum would be of help as sometimes it's nice to hear from the horses mouth.

And, if I may ask, Why would it be easy to make money out of Pharmaceuticals in SA?? I've just been doing this business for some years now and the going rate for re-sale on such businesses are good. I'm just tired of doing this kind of business and I'm looking for a change. Don't you sometimes wish that you could also just change what you're doing??

Then I wish you well.

I think you will get a wide variety of responses. Members may find it hard to recommend sponsors but you could try researching Sunbelt Asia and whilst not his geographical area you will get sound advice from Sebastian at Isaan Lawyers.

I'm very new to this forum so maybe you can direct me to the correct person?? How do I get to the forum Sponsor?? I'm still to young to sit and do nothing in Thailand. I need to work.

Here are some, just check the ads in the "Sponsored by" section above. Needing to keep busy is understandable, but you're only going to be able to figure something out when you're actually in Thailand.

The questions about what's required for a work permit and Thai % ownership of a business have already been answered many times if you search. These websites have a lot of that info.

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com/

http://www.thaistartup.com/contact.html

Here are some, just check the ads in the "Sponsored by" section above. Needing to keep busy is understandable, but you're only going to be able to figure something out when you're actually in Thailand.

The questions about what's required for a work permit and Thai % ownership of a business have already been answered many times if you search. These websites have a lot of that info.

Thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity, why Thailand ? There are many other countries in the Asia Pacific that would make great investment targets. I'm not saying disregard Thailand, however why Thailand specifically ?

Because you're new to this forum, you don't yet understand that you absolutely do not want to do most of the things you are contemplating. At least not right away. If you want to invest in Thailand, come stay here for a year or so first, don't tell anyone you have any money and learn how things work here. Thailand + youth + impetuousness + money = Broken dreams, loss of money and to a small minoritity of punters, death. Take your time and good luck to you.

Edited by lannarebirth

Just out of curiosity, why Thailand ? There are many other countries in the Asia Pacific that would make great investment targets. I'm not saying disregard Thailand, however why Thailand specifically ?

To answer your question honestly - I'm so tired of living in South Africa behind burglar bars and high tech security systems. Just the other day I was attached in my own yard as I drove up my driveway. This is not a life here in SA. You will never know what it is like until you have actually lived here. My holiday to Thailand was unbelievable. I couldn't believe that people just walk around the streets at night and no one even looks or tries to attach you. Try that here in SA. I'd most probably not see the next day as they will kill you for your cell phone. Life here just means nothing.

So there you have it, It's a change of lifestyle for me. I want to be FREE from all of this.

Because you're new to this forum, you don't yet understand that you absolutely do not want to do most of the things you are contemplating. At least not right away. If you want to invest in Thailand, come stay here for a year or so first, don't tell anyone you have any money and learn how things work here. Thailand + youth + impetuousness + money = Broken dreams, loss of money and to a small minoritity of punters, death. Take your time and good luck to you.

Thanks for your post and I understand fully what you mean. I know Thailand is money orientated. It's all about money and if they see the gap, you will be taken for a ride. I'm young but not stupid (not saying that you think I'm stupid). I realise that there will always be the oportunist waiting on the side line but one just has to take caution.

Agreed.

Are you trying to track down a con man? 'cos thats all you'll find advertising yourself like that on such an open forum.

How full is your inbox with offers/assistance/business ventures?

choppy

Best advice you will ever get is from Lanna & it's cost you nothing. :D

Personally, I wouldn't invest a cent in a business in Thailand for the next 5 years, it's far too unstable.

Check the Classified section and see how many homes are for sale.

Good luck mate. :o

To answer your question honestly - I'm so tired of living in South Africa behind burglar bars and high tech security systems. Just the other day I was attached in my own yard as I drove up my driveway. This is not a life here in SA. You will never know what it is like until you have actually lived here. My holiday to Thailand was unbelievable. I couldn't believe that people just walk around the streets at night and no one even looks or tries to attach you. Try that here in SA. I'd most probably not see the next day as they will kill you for your cell phone. Life here just means nothing.

So there you have it, It's a change of lifestyle for me. I want to be FREE from all of this.

There's some that say similar things about Thailand. I'd guess there's a much different level you're talking about, so I understand being done with it. Just don't be too blinded by first impressions.

I was thinking there cannot be that many pharmaceutical entrepreneurs in South Africa :D

I mean South Africa is only so big....................

If this is you - that would make you 45 years old now and that is not so young................ :o

SA's pharmaceutical success story

When Steven Saad established Aspen Pharmacare in a suburban home in 1997 at the age of 33, little did he think his small sales company would one day become South Africa's leading pharmaceuticals producer and play a pivotal role – with support from two United States presidents – in tackling a global pandemic.

Aspen, which has its primary plant in Nelson Mandela Bay and a second facility in East London, is one of the top 20 manufacturers of generic medicines globally. December 2007 statistics confirm its local generic market share at 34%, compared to its nearest rival at 14%.

Edited by thaijasmine

I was thinking there cannot be that many pharmaceutical entrepreneurs in South Africa :D

I mean South Africa is only so big....................

If this is you - that would make you 45 years old now and that is not so young................ :o

SA's pharmaceutical success story

When Steven Saad established Aspen Pharmacare in a suburban home in 1997 at the age of 33, little did he think his small sales company would one day become South Africa's leading pharmaceuticals producer and play a pivotal role – with support from two United States presidents – in tackling a global pandemic.

Aspen, which has its primary plant in Nelson Mandela Bay and a second facility in East London, is one of the top 20 manufacturers of generic medicines globally. December 2007 statistics confirm its local generic market share at 34%, compared to its nearest rival at 14%.

No this is not me, Wish it was!! In fact, Aspen pharmaceuticals is in my home town East London. We are very small compared to them. If I had Aspen Pharmaceuticals and sold it today, I would never even be able to count the money!! Never mind about changing it into Baht.

Just food for thought !! :D

With about 2.8 million US dollars safely in a bank somewhere giving me an income of 40k a year or so, it might be a bit of a laugh to take a couple hundred thousand (maybe 8 million baht) and buy a bar in Patong (which it would seem he was very impressed with) and just see what happens.

After all, it’s not going to cause him any undue hardship if after a year or so it goes broke. He has already shown he can run a successful business, so I doubt he would blow the entire 2+ million.

The problem is you people have no sense of humor and hate it when someone a whole lot better off just wants to have a bit of fun that just might cost more then you make in several years.

I say to the OP, go for it, just be sure not to lose the common sense that got you where you are today. You will be fine, and will probably have a blast.

TH

I just need to find out and if anyone could answer my questions point for point.

1. I presume I can buy myself into Thailand for 10 million Baht - Is this correct??

NO, it is not.

Does this 10 million Baht still belong to you or does it go to the Thai Government??

not applicable

2. If I so wish to work, can I do so and how does it work??

no you can't without a work permit.

Do I have to have a business partner who is a Thai resident to be able to start a business??

yes that is a must and your Thai partner (who has to be a citizen) will own the majority of the business.

Or can I just own my own business from the start??

not applicable

3. If I wish to purchase a business premises in Patong, can I do so and will the building be mine??

the premises might be yours

I have read in some of the forums that the land never becomes yours. Is this true??

yes it is true

4. What is the period of residency that one can apply for?? In other words, once you have re-located to Thailand, how many years can you stay in Thailand if you have bought yourself in??

you can't buy yourself in! with a work permit which has to be renewed EVERY year you are allowed to stay ONE YEAR (assuming you don't forget to register with immigration EVERY 90 DAYS).

you pay. personal tax max 35%. not sure what percentage corporate taxes are

I would really appreciate any information that anyone can give me on the above. If you so wish to email me, please do so.

Regards

Warren Booth

you can't buy yourself in! with a work permit which has to be renewed EVERY year you are allowed to stay ONE YEAR (assuming you don't forget to register with immigration EVERY 90 DAYS).

Not entirely true mister Naaaam.

Page 5 of the power point presentation for the Thai Elite Card states that.

• Stay in Thailand as Thai People
  • Lifetime Thai visa
  • Stay in Thailand without leaving.

choppy

I just need to find out and if anyone could answer my questions point for point.

1. I presume I can buy myself into Thailand for 10 million Baht - Is this correct??

NO, it is not.

Does this 10 million Baht still belong to you or does it go to the Thai Government??

not applicable

2. If I so wish to work, can I do so and how does it work??

no you can't without a work permit.

Do I have to have a business partner who is a Thai resident to be able to start a business??

yes that is a must and your Thai partner (who has to be a citizen) will own the majority of the business.

Or can I just own my own business from the start??

not applicable

3. If I wish to purchase a business premises in Patong, can I do so and will the building be mine??

the premises might be yours

I have read in some of the forums that the land never becomes yours. Is this true??

yes it is true

you pay. personal tax max 35%. not sure what percentage corporate taxes are

Regards

Warren Booth

Thank you very much. This is just the kind of info I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Know what you are talking about...bailed SA in 99 and finally ended up in Thailand and been here for nearly 8 years now....

My advice same as some other posters....dont just jump into investments or a business in Thailand....come and spend a year and get a feel for the place....business for a farang in Thailand is full of potholes....if you wish drop me a PM

Soutie

PLEASE just come to Thailand, check it out for awhile, see the WHOLE country (Patong is Pattaya #2 IMO, but I dunno, maybe that's your thing), then make a decision. Consider yourself lucky to have almost 3 million USD, and PLEASE DO NOT come blow it in Thailand. I know you probably think that Thailand is much safer than SA, but I swear to you, if you come to Thailand and people find out how much money you have... well, lets say I don't think the outcome will be good - especially in the current economic climate.

Come here, travel around, meet the people (don't fall in love, at least yet - seriously, HEED THIS ADVICE), lay low, play a bit, see what Thailand has to offer you. Thailand on vacation is different from living in Thailand. And doing business in Thailand can be dangerous to your health... fatal, in some cases. Read up, come see, find out what's beneath the surface, and you will see how many pockets that you will need to fill if somebody finds out you're worth 100 mil THB (esp in Patong??!?!).

You've done well, you are young. I would hate to see it go bad. Travel the world, save your cash, have some fun. Do not commit too much ("too much" is up to you...). Listen to lanna.

I implore you to follow this advice...

Not entirely true mister Naaaam.

Page 5 of the power point presentation for the Thai Elite Card states that.

• Stay in Thailand as Thai People
  • Lifetime Thai visa
  • Stay in Thailand without leaving.

choppy

please get the latest information on that fake that is called "Elite Card".