Do The Trains Have Sleepers

buffaloe

<snip>

2nd class sleepers can usually be purchased on the day of travel. So far I have not managed to get 1st class, and I think advance booking is advisable for that.

<snip>

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't know this particular line but there have been several times over the last few years on the southern line where I couldn't get sleeper tickets on the day I wanted to travel and I had to wait.

Hi Slip,

Just speaking from my (limited) personal experience, and, I should have made clear, on the NE line.

I have just made the journey by 1st class for the first time, and next time will choose 2nd class. 1st class was a little too sterile, sitting in my little compartment. What I enjoy in 2nd class is meeting other people, and wandering down to the buffet carriage for a meal and beer - the windows open, wind blowing in, clackety-clack of the wheels... Of course that option is open from 1st class, too, but I think you tend to stay in your compartment. It's rare I get the chance to go by train, and I find it rather exciting.

For simple transport, I choose flying - for travelling, when I have time, I will take the 2nd class train.

Cheers,

Mike

Edit> NE line 1st class has shared showers, no private showers.

Edited by phibunmike