New American Passport

Any Americans out there tried to get a new passport recently? How long is it taking with the new security measures? How much is the fee? I need to get a new one before my next visa/work permit cycle, and I'd also like to go on vacation in late March/early April. Do I have enough time to get the new one between now and then? What happens in the meantime if I need one for identification/proof of visa status, etc.?

"Steven"

Check the web for cost but it takes 2 weeks and you have your present passport during that time so there is no id issue.

Edit: You do this at the American Citizen Services Unit here in Bangkok across from the new Embassy building or in Chiang Mai - you do not do it by mail.

Edited by lopburi3

Any Americans out there tried to get a new passport recently?  How long is it taking with the new security measures?  How much is the fee?  I need to get a new one before my next visa/work permit cycle, and I'd also like to go on vacation in late March/early April.  Do I have enough time to get the new one between now and then?  What happens in the meantime if I need one for identification/proof of visa status, etc.?

"Steven"

You also need a 'special' photograph for the new passport. The American Cosulate will direct you to the closest photo shop...if I recall it is just on the opposite side of Wireless.

Did mine last month.  Have to go in person to pick it up.  Costs went up to $85 or 3,400 baht.

:o I live on Koh Phangan. So, I get to go up to Bangkok, apply and then two weeks later go again? Ugh. I saw on their website they are going to be making consular visits to Phuket (this month) , Pattaya and Udon in Feb, Samui in March and Khon Khaen in May. If they are going to make these trips they will email one month in advance. Anyone in Pattaya gotten this email yet (gotta be registered with the embassy btw)? If they come to Samui it would save me much running back and forth (I do get island bound after awhile :D ).

Did mine last month.  Have to go in person to pick it up.  Costs went up to $85 or 3,400 baht.

:o I live on Koh Phangan. So, I get to go up to Bangkok, apply and then two weeks later go again? Ugh. I saw on their website they are going to be making consular visits to Phuket (this month) , Pattaya and Udon in Feb, Samui in March and Khon Khaen in May. If they are going to make these trips they will email one month in advance. Anyone in Pattaya gotten this email yet (gotta be registered with the embassy btw)? If they come to Samui it would save me much running back and forth (I do get island bound after awhile :D ).

alternatively, you could stay in BKK for the 2 week wait.... :D sounds like you dread the place as much as I do, AND are much further away.

Seriously however, a friend of mine had his application done last year on one of these consular visits, but did have to make the trip to BKK to pick it up.... but at least that's one trip and not two. :D

alternatively, you could stay in BKK for the 2 week wait....  :D  sounds like you dread the place as much as I do, AND are much further away. 

Seriously however, a friend of mine had his application done last year on one of these consular visits, but did have to make the trip to BKK to pick it up.... but at least that's one trip and not two. :D

Quelle Horreur!!!! :D:o The thought of two weeks in Bangkok makes my nerves jittery already (and my husband's wallet groaning in advance :D ). Guess I'll hope for the consular visit to Samui in March, I emailed them awhile back but they weren't sure if they would be coming or not. Too bad they don't have an emoticon for fingers crossed!

Edited by sbk