Slight Fare Increase For Taxi From Tesco (s. Pattaya)

wpcoe

I admire the taxi drivers for their take-charge stance on their income.

When I moved to Jomtien just under four years ago, a taxi (pick up truck-style) ride from the Tesco Lotus parking lot to my condo was B120. A year or so later it went up to B150. It just went up to B200, with a shiny new sign to advertise the fact. That's equivalent to what, about a 16.6% average annual increase. Not bad, not bad. Good on ya mates!

When I first moved here the taxi fare all the way from the Pattaya Nua bus station was B200. I wonder how much that would be today.

In contrast, when I first moved here the moto-sai taxi fare from Tesco Lotus to my condo was B40. Today, it was still B40. What's wrong (or right?) about that picture....?

Oh, and just ahead of me was a couple of Russian ladies asking how much for a taxi, and I didn't hear where they were going, but they were told B350. He didn't point them to the sign. I wonder how far they were going with their groceries for B350?

I admire the taxi drivers for their take-charge stance on their income.

When I moved to Jomtien just under four years ago, a taxi (pick up truck-style) ride from the Tesco Lotus parking lot to my condo was B120. A year or so later it went up to B150. It just went up to B200, with a shiny new sign to advertise the fact. That's equivalent to what, about a 16.6% average annual increase. Not bad, not bad. Good on ya mates!

When I first moved here the taxi fare all the way from the Pattaya Nua bus station was B200. I wonder how much that would be today.

In contrast, when I first moved here the moto-sai taxi fare from Tesco Lotus to my condo was B40. Today, it was still B40. What's wrong (or right?) about that picture....?

Oh, and just ahead of me was a couple of Russian ladies asking how much for a taxi, and I didn't hear where they were going, but they were told B350. He didn't point them to the sign. I wonder how far they were going with their groceries for B350?

They actually put that board up back in November. I used to pay 120-140 Baht to Jomtien or Pratumnak, and grumbled at that. When they started pointing to the new price list, I objected strongly, but at least they would haggle, so I was getting the ride for 160 Baht. I went there 3 weeks ago, and the guy was adamant that it was 200 Baht or walk. OK, I assume since these guys are operating on Tesco-Lotus land, they have the local management's sanction? So I've simply stopped going to Tesco. Carrefour is a pain to get to and from for me, but at least they will deliver my beer and water and Coke free of charge.

I wonder if the Tesco Lotus management in their head office realise that this sort of thing is going on, and costing them custom? Maybe a few letters of complaint to the farang boss in Bangkok from 'Disgusted in Pattaya' and 'Cheated of Jomtien' might help?

Their address is:

Head office: 629/1 Moo.10 Nawamintr Rd., Klongkoom, Buengkoom Bangkok 10230

and the man to write to would be:

Steve Hammett, Tesco Lotus Chief Executive Officer

Yes, I also sometimes use this service (as seldom as possible). What the OP says is exactly correct about the rapid and absurd levels of price increases. If you have done a big shopping and have no transport, they have you by the short hairs, and they know it. Its still cheaper than buying a car, but indeed I shop much less at Tesco than I would if there was a reasonable taxi service.

If only we had a proper taxi service in Pattaya eh?

It would be nice but city hall and the baht bus mafia which OWNS the fake Pattaya taxi meters has no interest in properly serving the public, they are only interested in serving their own corrupt interests.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I have another way I used to do things.

I moved from Jomtien to Soi Khao Talo. Eventually got some wheels but before that, I would get one of the local "taxi" people t pick me up, go to Carrefour, then come back, perhaps stopping at Tesco on the way back. Cost about Bt300 all in for perhaps 3 hours. Not bad value I think.

When living in Jomtien, we'd use the BigC at North Pattaya as we had to go there for business. Baht bus some 3/4 years ago was Bt120 and maybe Bt100 if you were lucky. Now Bt 150+++ I was quoted some time ago.

The bastards at Tesco on Sukhumvit want Bt150 to go to Soi Khao Talo, which is about 1.5/2km.

I was going to approach Tesco but realised that either they are in on it and get kickbacks or don't give a fuc_k.

Carrefour is a pain to get to and from for me, but at least they will deliver my beer and water and Coke free of charge.

Does Carrefour have a free delivery service for other than beverages? By that I mean, if I buy a bunch of meats and other perishables, is it a reliable service for quick delivery and/or do they refrigerate such items if deliver is not to be immediate?

Even better, can you hitch a ride with your delivery?

While I'm on a roll with Carrefour delivery questions, does anybody know if their "taxi" service has raised its prices recently? Carrefour to Jomtien used to be B180.

Thanks, torrenova, for the info. Living where I do in Jomtien, though, it would be a matter of transferring between two baht buses and then a moto-sai, so it's not so convenient for me.

So, since I had to pay my TT&T internet bill, I thought I'd go to Carrefour today. Was ready to go around 345pm, but the skies opened up so I waited for it to stop raining and got to Carrefour at around 530pm. TT&T won't accept payments after 500pm. (<deleted>?) Anyway, rather than dwell on that I just went shopping.

At the taxi queue just outside the front door a driver asked where I was going and she replied B200. I took a quick look at their rate board since it had been B180 for quite some time, and the board says Jomtien was B180-250 (not sure of the upper price, but somewhere in the mid-200's). I wasn't sure if the board always read that way, or if they had indeed gone up so I asked her if the price went up. Just then, two other drivers (who knew me by sight) corrected her to B180, and she had no problem accepting B180.

So, while Tesco is B200, I can still take a "taxi" from Carrefour, which is twice as far away, for B180. Guess who will continue to get my grocery business?