Tourist Visa Extension.

On my next visit to Thailand I see my return date is some 36 days after my arrival. Can I ask for a visa extension on arrival at Bangkok airport or will I have to do a visa run and if so is Burma (Myanamar) acceptable as I will be staying in the North near the Border (Chiang Rai) so Mae Sae would be possible. I am British and traveling from London. Thank you for any advice.

You had also better clear your travel with airline as you are supposed to have onward confirmed transportation within the 30 day stay and the check-in person might not be having a good day. Best thing is to obtain a tourist visa prior to travel to avoid any problems.

Many thanks for your helpful replies. Will now apply for a 60 day visa in London as a vey valid point re the airlines. At least the cost is the same, GBP £25 UK or approx Baht 1900. May change my return for the full 60 days. Keep up the good work.......

• 2 weeks later...
You had also better clear your travel with airline as you are supposed to have onward confirmed transportation within the 30 day stay and the check-in person might not be having a good day. Best thing is to obtain a tourist visa prior to travel to avoid any problems.

my wife and I are planning to obtain single-entry tourist visas for this very reason, (our flight has us returning to US after 30 days and we got inconclusive answers from airline on boarding enforcement, basically they just read us the standard Thai immigration laws), we are planning to visit Laos overland via Nong Khai and return about 12 days later at Chiang Khong. Will we be able to obtain the 30-day stamp there for the remainder of our stay in Thailand (less than 30 days), or should we have double-entry tourist visas before leaving US?

thanks

Edited by CunningMcFar

my wife and I are planning to obtain single-entry tourist visas for this very reason, (our flight has us returning to US after 30 days and we got inconclusive answers from airline on boarding enforcement, basically they just read us the standard Thai immigration laws), we are planning to visit Laos overland via Nong Khai and return about 12 days later at Chiang Khong.  Will we be able to obtain the 30-day stamp there for the remainder of our stay in Thailand (less than 30 days), or should we have double-entry tourist visas before leaving US?

thanks

You are within the immigration rules, but unless you have some proof of your travel into Laos,

you will have trouble with the airline when you try to board the plane.

Can you prebook you travel to Laos and have a ticket to show for that part of your journey?