Jomtien: The Miami Of Southeast Asia

Jingthing

Anyone remember years ago, at least 15 years ago, when Walking St had some "makeover". I remember the local press dubbing it the Champs-Élysées of Pattaya. With the benefit of hindsight now, it is really so off-the-mark that it's laughable, and that's a testament to CIty Hall's town planning ability.

I am not sure which is more funny Walking St=Champs-Élysées or Jomtien=Miami :)

If Petchaburi and beyond can be the French Riviera... why not Jomtien be Miami?

btw, did Thaksin's old PR team of Wissanu et al get new jobs writing travel brochures for Jomtien? :)

DPM unveils plans for Thai ‘Riviera’

PRACHUAB KHIRI KHAN: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam today laid out ambitious plans for Thailand to have its very own ‘Riviera’ stretching from Petchaburi to Sam Roi Yot, but stressed that environmental considerations had to come first before the project could be given the green light.

Mr. Wissanu, who this morning took part in discussions with senior government officials and the provincial governors of Samutsakhon, Samutsongkhram, Petchaburi and Prachuab Khiri Khan, said that the ‘Riviera’ project would link beachfront roads from Chao Samran in the north to Sam Roi Yot in the south.

But while he expressed confidence that the new road would attract more foreign tourists, he also said that a clear environmental impact assessment would have to be conducted before the project could go ahead.

The four lower central region provinces have agreed to work together to promote tourism and their role as a major transportation route to the south, but have also noted the importance of eco-tourism and good environmental management.

--TNA 2005-04-24

Global warming aside, I am curious about whether or not IamAgel thinks Jomtien Beach will eventually be similar to Miami Beach.

Difficult for me to give an opion on this one

I am not American and have never visited The States so my only knowledge of Miami is really from TV and movies like Miami Vice

I do however know Jomtien very well having lived here for three years and also lived here for a year back in the late 1980's so I can see with my own eyes the changes in the last twenty years and imagine the changes that may be applied in the next 20 years

The first similarity that both share must be the word Vice

Two things concern me (and not any particular rise in sea level)

Crime - which seems to be on the rise substantialy in Pattaya and now in Jomtien.

Chills me more than a little when I read reports of gun crime only a few hundred meters from my home

And the second concern is the recent development with VT7 that sets a precedent for high rises to be built on the edge of the beach.

When the economy picks up - this could take 10-20 years more then the door is now open for high rises to be built right up to the sidewalk all along the beach.

This will be a shame that some will call progress. I think it will be a shame for all those like Jomtien Complex owners and many many other condo projects in Jomtien, Pattaya and all over Thailand who will in effect be walled in by this ridiculous ruling

Wether I am still around Jomtien 20 years hence - I doubt it

Now might be the come to come up with marketing slogans for Jomtien.

For example Las Vegas used to use

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

That was classic, but for some daft reason they changed it to

What happens here, stays here

Anyway, how about some slogan ideas for Jomtien?

First shot:

What happens in Jomtien?

(A little bit of oriental mysticism there, what does happen there exactly, I really must visit to find out!)

Edited by Jingthing

First shot:

What happens in Jomtien?

The problem is....."nothing much"!!! :)

No....that slogan of yours will not work well :D

Yeah I thought of that too, it may make people think NOTHING happens! Kind of like the famous

There is no there there
spoken of Oakland, California by Gertrude Stein. So your idea is?
I am not American and have never visited The States so my only knowledge of Miami is really from TV and movies like Miami Vice

That image of Miami is very dated now.

Edited by Jingthing

First shot:

What happens in Jomtien?

The problem is....."nothing much"!!! :)

No....that slogan of yours will not work well :D

Yeah I thought of that too, it may make people think NOTHING happens! Kind of like the famous

ok how about.....

"Have you seen our ViewTalay?" .....oooh this one is FUNNY!! :D

"Come grow with us"

"You'd think it's funny too, if you live here"

is Pattaya on the north side, isn't it?--ok how about this...."Go north young man" :D

Edited by teacup

post-81660-1242385842.gif

Miami ??????

Never saw any sewage oozing into South Beach waters when I was there , guess that is another difference with Jomtien.

Although some parts did remind me of Boyz Town

post-81660-1242385842.gif

Miami ??????

Never saw any sewage oozing into South Beach waters when I was there , guess that is another difference with Jomtien.

Although some parts did remind me of Boyz Town

About 1000 x cleaner--air, water, food, etc. Nice shops........only comparison is lots of elderly in both places........and both places are on the water.

"Jomtien: The City of Falling Objects"

I was looking for positive slogans ...

Falling objects? No city puts out a slogan highlighting its problems.

Otherwise New York's would be, Fancy a Crack Whore?

Jomtien: The Windy City by the Sea For me, the best thing about Jomtien is the wind coming off the ocean/bay.

I was looking for positive slogans ...

Falling objects? No city puts out a slogan highlighting its problems.

Otherwise New York's would be, Fancy a Crack Whore?

Jomtien: The Windy City by the Sea For me, the best thing about Jomtien is the wind coming off the ocean/bay.

That one is rather evocative. Its got a certain something. Americans would probably think of Chicago, the Windy City but that's by a great lake and cold. You are right the breezes are a distinctive and wonderful feature of Jomtien. The by the sea part, a bit Anglo, a bit Hemingway Old Man and the Sea.

Your slogan also emphasizes the distinction with Pattaya, assuming Jomtien becomes more of a city in itself ... better beach (by the sea), better air and breezes (windy city), no suggestion of decadent madness (tamer nightlife than Pattaya). It suggests more of a "long time" romance (wind and sea, so elemental) contrasting with the "short time" boom boom boom of Pattaya (not judging).

I still think the Miami comparison is not bad either, but it shows a lack of confidence to compare to another city in another country. For example when Stanford says they are the Harvard of the west, they are pretty much admitting their inferiority complex in relation to Harvard.

Edited by Jingthing

How about: "Jomtien: Everything Waikiki Isn't!" :)

I wasn't asking for Waikiki :D marketing slogans, but OK, :D whatever ...

Hey, if we could afford Waikiki would we be here? :D :D

Edited by Jingthing

That one is rather evocative. Its got a certain something. Americans would probably think of Chicago, the Windy City but that's by a great lake and cold. You are right the breezes are a distinctive and wonderful feature of Jomtien. The by the sea part, a bit Anglo, a bit Hemingway Old Man and the Sea.

That is the one thing I liked about Jomptien 10 years ago. It DID remind me a little of Hemingway. It had just the right amount of sleaze that Hemingway adored. And, parts of it still does. Parts of Angeles city in the Philippines are the same... but without the beach. Men can play act all they want without anyone taking any notice. Playing the fool or the hero is just part of the scene.

How about: "Jomtien: Everything Waikiki Isn't!" :)

I wasn't asking for Waikiki :D marketing slogans, but OK, :D whatever ...

Hey, if we could afford Waikiki would we be here? :D :D

That's kind of my point: Waikiki is a clean, safe, well run, upscale (kind of expensive) family-oriented beach resort with crystal clear water, world class dining, efficient public transportation and traffic/urban planning. Jomtien is everything that Waikiki isn't: it's dirty, not as safe, poorly run, not very upscale, generally not family-oriented with dirty coastal water. I won't even start on traffic planning, urban planning, or public transportation. As for Jomtien dining options, well..... can you spell "M-e-x-i-c-a-n" :D