Disc Copying Problems - Any Ideas?

Captain Haddock

I'm trying to copy a karaoke CD-ROM for the missus. I go to My Computer and try the simple COPY and PASTE method, trying to make a copy on my hard-drive to burn later onto CD. But every othe song on the CD-ROM makes this function impossible to complete - a little GUI box appears with the message:

ERROR COPYING FILE

Cannot copy ___________ Cannot find the specified file.

Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.

I know the CD-ROM works when installed, and that some songs don't work; I just want to make a copy for myself! Any ideas how I can copy this CD without specifically itemising hundreds of individual songs? I have tried Nero but it wants to make an ISO or similar file, and not a direct copy of the folders of the original CD-ROM. Help!

This is not Karaoke DVD right? If it is you gonna have a problem then.

But if it is the normal CD audio, then you need an audio ripper which you could get from the net for free. And i believe there is also for VCD as well on the net. Just do a search at downloads.com and look for "audio or VCD ripper".

Explorer :o

I have treid following Nero's steps and it will only burn an ISO or NRG file as one track. There are 5 different folders on the CD-ROM, Van Bascoe's Karaoke Player (which is software and not a VCD), and when I try to copy and paste/drag and drop all is well until the songlist folder is being copied. Then there are problems and the copying will not get over the factor of damaged/unreadable files (individual songs), throws a wobbly and just stops its copying and can't seem to cope with the idea of just ignoring those bad files and copying the good ones!

As I don't have two burners I logically thought there should be no difference between making a copy on the hard-drive and burning one on the CD, which I would do after burning to the hard-drive. But I can't get Nero to do this simple exercise. It will simulate a burn successfully (and I presume this is an identical copy of the original) but not burn this same identical copy to the hard-drive! So yes, I have tried following the steps on Nero, but it won'work for me!

I will attempt this ripper thing and let you know... Cheers!

I finally had to re-install Nero and that got it to work! :o

I don't have two burners - the problem was that Nero wanted to burn the 5 folders as one NRG/ISO track and not as a normal copy.

Now it will. And I am down south so Had Yai is nearer me than Bangkok, and I couldn't find any application CDs there, only old games... :D

Cheers anyway! :D

if u wanna backup the CD in your hard drive, copy the disk using nero to create a .nrg file then remove the CD.

then install nero image drive, this creates one more CD icon in your My Computer.

open nero image drive, chode the .nrg file u created....

then u can use the disk asif it were phisically present in yr drive...

PS: i am in hatyai now, do frequent here often...

Captain Haddock - You may want to take a look at a little utility called "CloneCD". More info & trial download here.

CloneCD is the ideal tool to make backup copies of your music or data CDs, regardless if they are copy protected or not! CloneCD's award-winning user interface copies almost any CD in just a few mouse clicks! Since release 5.0 CloneCD is able to copy not only CDs but as well all formats of DVD like DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Dual Layer und DVD-RAM. Copy protected movie DVDs can only be copied with AnyDVD. The movies will not be modified (compressed), but one-to-one copied. CloneCD works as well with other formats like .iso and .udf and copies CDs/DVDs with the new SafeDisc 3 Copy Protection System.

:o