Expats Robbed By Thailand

7baht

If you are not a Thai citizen and do not have the finances to meet Thai requirements, tough but they don't owe you anything. Chances are you came to LOS because you could not make a go of it in your home country. Get of your butt and earn enough to support your family and meet their requirements.

Thai laws are made to suit Thailand and thatis just how it is. Many countries have protectionist laws. People coming from countries like the UK (the property whore of the western world) ,where anyone with money can buy almost anything including football teams, get lulled into the false impression that such liberal attitude is right for the society.

On the other hand if you throw away your passport and ignore the immigration rules in the UK, you are usually rewarded with a home, free education, free legal representation to delay deportation indefinitely, immunity from criticism or any form of discrimination, and a healthy monthly pocket money allowance as well.

What seems to hurt more is the blatant discrimination in Thailand where political correctness has not yet been allowed to develop into the smothering influence felt in western Europe.

Thais do not feel obliged to be nice to poor people, especially poor foreigners, because they use up so much energy already being extra nice to rich people.

Let's face it, if Thailand did not have protectionist policies, the hopelessly inefficient local way of gdoing things could probably not survive the competition from outside. (Just look at the banks as an example).

You live in Thailand for many reasons - concentrate on the positive, and have the occasional rant about the other things just to let of steam. But never expect Thais to care what you think.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahahahah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmmmmm ok just this once Ill let u off the hook on that statement but i have about 12 replies to it hahahahahahahhah

when I return to the USA I will have a nice UN plastic tent to live in. hahahahahahahahha I must say as an american and seeing the state of the people here in Thailand Ill take being dirt poor in the USA anyday. And U all can be assured ur taxes will be used to support my Thai family. Dont you just love us poor farangs going home broke. God I love America

Sell the car, get UBC and watch THE SUZE ORMAN SHOW on Saturdays at 4:00. She'll sort you out in no time!

I'm ashamed to say this... but I totally would.

KX6xap1j_400x300.jpg

And I hate to admit that I agree with you, but I do!

lets see I think Im finished Im a bad american I didnt set aside any money I might not be paying taxes so I should bend over and have in the back side and be happy about it....dont tell me all u guys are investment bankers or oil executives hmmmm government workers maybe what ever u are u need to open an account in my off shore account and let me invest ur 400,000 in Thailand hahahahahahah never mind the reason give it to me or be forced to live next door to ur mother law. U boys are either worlds best liars or deluded to a point that seem to have forgotten the core values taught to u by that ole witch in math class. this is like an endless sinsot now i wonder who blew their money on that asian scam?

You joined today, I'd like to see the look on your face when you sober up and read your 1st batch of posts. :)

Rule 1, never touch the keyboard whilst under the influence of drink or drugs... :D

No truer word spoken Gungadin :D

To the OP, I have had to high tail it back to my country broke a few times in my life. It is never worst than you imagine and in no time you will be cashed up again to return for another adventure.

But this time much wiser.

good luck mate.

hahahahahahahahah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmmmmm ok just this once Ill let u off the hook on that statement but i have about 12 replies to it hahahahahahahhah

Nitrous Oxide, alcohol, mentally unstable or troll ........ haven't made my mind up yet.

The OP is simply expressing in a crude lowbrow way the reality of anti-foreigner policies that is also exemplified in the currently running thread about the sham of what happened to the Elite Card. Not getting into the specifics of the OP's problems, he has a point. We are being played in many cases. Of course, nobody forced us or even ASKED us to move here, but caveat emptor.

The OP is simply expressing in a crude lowbrow way the reality of anti-foreigner policies that is also exemplified in the currently running thread about the sham of what happened to the Elite Card. Not getting into the specifics of the OP's problems, he has a point. We are being played in many cases. Of course, nobody forced us or even ASKED us to move here, but caveat emptor.

I agree with what you write about anti-foreigner policies--except in this one case. Having to keep 400,000 baht in a bank account seems reasonable to me, and I believe most other nations have similar regulations. It is not as if you are paying the Thai government for the privilege to live here, as the OP contends. The money is still yours, and you can take it out and go home any tiime you want.

It's clear OP has a point regarding rising prices. Whatever happened to "it's a free world". If you think about it, the very notion that someone should be able to charge you for just being on a place on planet earth is absurd.

The whole concept of a monetary system is flawed and the world is f*cked up because of it, only really suiting those who set it up and maintain it.

--

Op, you don't need 400k to stay here, that's only for the O extension. Why don't you forego the next extension and get yourself a new Multi O (15 months validity if you work it) based on your marriage and which requires no proof of income/funds... last time I checked? Means you'll have to leave to get it and bounce borders every 90 days, but at least you'll get to stay while figuring out your next move. If you have absolutely eff all left, however, then it could be game over.

Ive never felt i "live" in thailand, they dont see me as a resident so why should i,i took my rose colored glasses off a long time ago,...we will always be farang, but they do have a way of making you feel like they are saying " we have had you money .so now p1ss off " or, you have some left, you can stay,.i do see what the op is saying in a way, you can have family here but still need this visa business to reside here, for me im not here for good so it has no relevance, however if married to a thai with thai born children i feel we should be able to relax a bit, oh well ,tit and we will change nothing whatever some think,.

Unfortunately I feel the same.

Because I built a house to live in but don't own it amongst other things, I travel back to my country of childhood 2x year and although I loathe that place I feel welcome there every time I land there.

NOT so here in Thailand :)

So there is NO way I will make any concessions in my mind towards this country.

I spend money for services, my respect towards this country stops here.

Maybe you guys should give the OP a break, he's having a bad day which happens to all of us.

What boggles my mind is that we cannot own or buy land or house and in many cases if we are below 50 or not married cannot ge tra proper long stay visa, then again there are no restrictions whatsoever on how much money we wire transfer into the country!

They know very well that if a foreigner is wiring in 150K USD or euro's that it's not just for an extended holiday.

I actually asked my bank manager about this, his reply was : bring in as much as you like Thailand needs the money.

Personally I feel discriminated against too in many ways.

There is a lot of froth on this thread but leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the OP, the serious point trying to get out seems to me to be the shakey position of Western residents with Thai wives and kids born in Thailand. This is far less advantageous than in most other countries. Once an expat has children, should he really need to establish his means so that he can be allowed to stay and support them? It is not as though the family is likely to benefit much from the Thai social security system, such as it is. I think some of us are too accepting of insular poliicies that don't meet international norms.

Well said Citizen33. Thailand does not owe you anything nor does it offer anything except what the earth has graced it. Whilst it doesn't owe you anything I do think that if you have a house and family here you should be entitled to expect that the country will not persecute you. If you have a Thai wife and children that you are supporting that should be sufficient to afford you some degree of security here. But it doesn't - that's the fact. Foreigners are not welcome here and are ripped off at most every opportunity but hey at least the Thais are open about it. Look at the Elite Card fiasco. Charge a one time fee plus an 'up to you' maintenance fee which can be anything they like to set, collect all the up front money on promises of this and that which will never be delivered all with the backing of the Thai government. Pocket the cash and then close the scheme down and don't even have the grace to maintain the visa relaxations for those unfortunates believing anything promoted by Thailand - LOS is correct - Land of the Scam -0 I guess to stop those people defrauded coming back here to complain.

I am amazed there are people in the forum who support the xenophobic, racist nature of the society here led in the charge by the people in power. There are many great things about Thailand but those traits are universally disgusting and undefendable.

If you are not a Thai citizen and do not have the finances to meet Thai requirements, tough but they don't owe you anything. Chances are you came to LOS because you could not make a go of it in your home country. Get of your butt and earn enough to support your family and meet their requirements.

Thai laws are made to suit Thailand and thatis just how it is. Many countries have protectionist laws. People coming from countries like the UK (the property whore of the western world) ,where anyone with money can buy almost anything including football teams, get lulled into the false impression that such liberal attitude is right for the society.

On the other hand if you throw away your passport and ignore the immigration rules in the UK, you are usually rewarded with a home, free education, free legal representation to delay deportation indefinitely, immunity from criticism or any form of discrimination, and a healthy monthly pocket money allowance as well.

What seems to hurt more is the blatant discrimination in Thailand where political correctness has not yet been allowed to develop into the smothering influence felt in western Europe.

Thais do not feel obliged to be nice to poor people, especially poor foreigners, because they use up so much energy already being extra nice to rich people.

Let's face it, if Thailand did not have protectionist policies, the hopelessly inefficient local way of gdoing things could probably not survive the competition from outside. (Just look at the banks as an example).

You live in Thailand for many reasons - concentrate on the positive, and have the occasional rant about the other things just to let of steam. But never expect Thais to care what you think.....

Excellent post spot on :D

I'm in a similiar situation as the op, had to close my business and am now back in the UK working for 6 months to keep my head above water, I can't blame Thailand and don't blame myself, just circumstances.

we all know the risks :)

There is a lot of froth on this thread but leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the OP, the serious point trying to get out seems to me to be the shakey position of Western residents with Thai wives and kids born in Thailand. This is far less advantageous than in most other countries. Once an expat has children, should he really need to establish his means so that he can be allowed to stay and support them? It is not as though the family is likely to benefit much from the Thai social security system, such as it is. I think some of us are too accepting of insular poliicies that don't meet international norms.

Well said Citizen33. Thailand does not owe you anything nor does it offer anything except what the earth has graced it. Whilst it doesn't owe you anything I do think that if you have a house and family here you should be entitled to expect that the country will not persecute you. If you have a Thai wife and children that you are supporting that should be sufficient to afford you some degree of security here. But it doesn't - that's the fact. Foreigners are not welcome here and are ripped off at most every opportunity but hey at least the Thais are open about it. Look at the Elite Card fiasco. Charge a one time fee plus an 'up to you' maintenance fee which can be anything they like to set, collect all the up front money on promises of this and that which will never be delivered all with the backing of the Thai government. Pocket the cash and then close the scheme down and don't even have the grace to maintain the visa relaxations for those unfortunates believing anything promoted by Thailand - LOS is correct - Land of the Scam -0 I guess to stop those people defrauded coming back here to complain.

I am amazed there are people in the forum who support the xenophobic, racist nature of the society here led in the charge by the people in power. There are many great things about Thailand but those traits are universally disgusting and undefendable.

Agreed. I kinda see their government and "rule makers" as an organized crime unit.

Mr 7 baht, a little drunk are we? been on the old liquid courage before we hit the keyboard have we?

On reading your opening post, i did initially pity your apparent situation, yes the visa laws are tough and inherently xenophobic

However, as previous posters have noted, 400k is a reasonable amount of money for the local bigwigs to deem you able to provide for yourself for a year

A little planning on your part was needed.

I must point out to you, your over zealous use of the phrase "hahaha", as it does grow rather tiring having to read through it all

Take it easy matey boy, or a moderator might come on and slap you on the leg

Mr 7 baht, a little drunk are we? been on the old liquid courage before we hit the keyboard have we?

Take it easy matey boy, or a moderator might come on and slap you on the leg

I think he got a kick up the backside instead, right out of the forum!

He's now banned. :)

Well sorry mate but........Too easy to knock the post but lets hope other people who are thinking to move here take it in..Yes but she's different, I love it here....I'am am not knocking the post but if you cannot sustain yourself don't spend too much here..I'am sure this guys wife and family are lovely as they all are and he has done his best by them but who will help him now? Not her family and certainly not the Thai government..Its a shame because he has invested in life here..All the best mate and I hope something turns good for you...

But be warned anyone who knocks this guy! it may be you next!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more with you. I think that this is a very poor showing by successive governments. You are the provider and father of your wife and children. You should be given the right to stay as long as you wish - it should be a basic common right that parents should be allowed to stay together in the country of their child's/spouses nation. Though I would love to have a home here, I have decided to stay renting exactly because of this. good luck to you :)

Then there is the old saying my father taught to me. Make sure you understand the rules of the game before you start playing.

Why is is that so many don't?

And another, that was told to me by Expats living in Thailand 30 years ago.

Never invest into Thailand, that which you cannot afford to lose.

For a farang moving to Thailand, it is a gamble. if there ever comes a time when they want you to leave, you'll be gone. They do not have to even give you a valid reason if they wish to cancel your visa.

And that's just the way things are.

My point exactly! This really should be taken up by the international community. We know this is a global village now - nothing new there. Provisions should be made for a stable home life for expats in Thailand. Perhaps we should think about pushing our governments on this. Yes, I know there is little chance of any action there. Hey, I'm British - I saw how they left Simon Burrowes swinging in the wind! Still we should do something rather than wait for the axe to fall! :)