Deleting Posts

dave111223

I think posts (which are not a blatant advertisement or spam) should be "Closed" (with reason posted) rather than juts deleted and "disappeared".

Yesterday i posted an informative response to a Sin Sod related topic. Today it's gone; deleted, what's the point of responding if the topic may just get deleted and no one will ever read your post?

Ok i can understand if the admins feel the Sin Sod topic has been done to death, and no longer requires discussion, but why delete the topic completely? At least have the decency to tell people who spent time writing a response, why it was closed.

It seems lately that more and more posts just deleted without any thought.

(note this seems to be most prominent in the General forum...not sure if you just promoted a new admin in there or something)

Edited by dave111223

The topic you posted in was deleted because it was made by a banned member that had returned with a new nick.

We normally do not delete topics unless there is a very good reason.

If the topic was posted by a banned member, why not just ban their new account. Why delete all the subsequent responses, which were valid.

Once a topic has accumulated a number of reasonable posts, i think you owe it to those of have posted to leave the discussion open, or Close the topic with a reason...

Annoyance #1 of the forum by a clear mile.

What would go a long way to resolving this is an auto-notification feature which would send a PM to any users affected by a deleted post or topic stating the reasons why it was removed.

If the topic was posted by a banned member, why not just ban their new account. Why delete all the subsequent responses, which were valid.

Once a topic has accumulated a number of reasonable posts, i think you owe it to those of have posted to leave the discussion open, or Close the topic with a reason...

I just had another look at that topic. It was clearly a troll topic.

does previous money count as credit towards sin sot. i have helped quite a bit before our engagement became official. ive already spent quite a few 1000s helping. does it ever end?

This is the last post in the topic.

My Father in law had to pay off his sin sot to his evil bitch of a mother in law like a mortgage, paying it off monthly for 2 years.

Forum rule 5 which covers trolling.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

All of the above is why the topic was deleted instead of being closed.

The topic had 8 posts in it when it was closed yours is the only one that was any good. Other than one that called the banned member a troll.

For everybody's information I was not the one that deleted the topic.

Troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

If you leave the posts in view the troll will surly be back to ride again, and again. Remove and he gets no satisfaction; and may leave for greener pastures. The smell of gun smoke works in this case.

Edited by lopburi3

It boils down to manners. They appear to be severely lacking. We are told we should contact the mods by PM if we have any issues. I have contacted 2 mods and admin once. Still waiting for an answer to my query.

When did you contact them? be aware that not all mods are in the same timezones, nor have the ability to be online at all times.

If you don't get a response from a mod then look at the bottom the forum main forum page & see which ones are online & pm on of them instead. Mods/super mods in red, admin in blue.

Lopburi3 has hit the nail on the head, deleteing a new trolls entire posting history give them nothing to gloat over. Leaving their trollish posts in place is the equivilant of a cyber mastabatory aid for these kinds of people who clearly are unhinged & with too much time on thier hands. If you happened to have responded to the troll topic then it is unfortunate that your post too will get deleted but it is a small sacrifice in the larger scheme.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

The topic had 8 posts in it when it was closed yours is the only one that was any good. Other than one that called the banned member a troll.

Thanks for this response. It makes the reasons clearer and more understandable. Some of the problems of deletions causing upset are due to no reason having been given to the poster who had his post deleted and the non reply to PM to the moderator who did it asking why. If we understand the reasons we can maybe adapt to the need.

When did you contact them? be aware that not all mods are in the same timezones, nor have the ability to be online at all times.

If you don't get a response from a mod then look at the bottom the forum main forum page & see which ones are online & pm on of them instead. Mods/super mods in red, admin in blue.

Lopburi3 has hit the nail on the head, deleteing a new trolls entire posting history give them nothing to gloat over. Leaving their trollish posts in place is the equivilant of a cyber mastabatory aid for these kinds of people who clearly are unhinged & with too much time on thier hands. If you happened to have responded to the troll topic then it is unfortunate that your post too will get deleted but it is a small sacrifice in the larger scheme.

I fully understand that the mods are busy and some are on different time zones to Thailand but I would expect a reply to a question within 48 hours. I am still waiting after months. can you tell me of any excuse apart from ignorance for this ? As said Pm'ed the mods involved and admin. Now just don't expect an answer.

Thanks for this response. It makes the reasons clearer and more understandable. Some of the problems of deletions causing upset are due to no reason having been given to the poster who had his post deleted and the non reply to PM to the moderator who did it asking why. If we understand the reasons we can maybe adapt to the need.

Agreed; maybe here's an idea:

Deleted topics should be replaced with a post showing only the reason for deletion. Then after a certain amount of time (like 24 hours) the topic disappears completely.

I am still waiting after months

please pm me with the details of who you sent it to & what it was concerning as it is very unusual for 2 mods & an admin to not reply on a pm so I will find out what happened for you, if I can.

I have contacted 2 mods and admin once. Still waiting for an answer to my query.

H2oDunc.

I do not know if you are referring to this but on 16th May 2009 you made a post asking why a Topic of yours was closed.

Within 45 minutes of your post I sent you a polite PM explaining why. Even though it was not me that closed it.

On 19th May you sent me an equally polite PM thanking me for the explanation . There was no need for a reply from me.

As said we get people who register every day with the sole intention of goading members into replying to their troll/inflammatory posts. They then sit back and have a good laugh at members well intentioned replies. As someone else said , why give them the satisfaction?

There was a post stating that I had been sent a PM concerning a deleted post of mine but then that post disappeared too and no PM arrived. :D Not complaining here, just trying to figure out the rules. It's hard to kick goals when the goal posts vanish. :)

Edited by krading

There was a post stating that I had been sent a PM concerning a deleted post of mine but then that post disappeared too and no PM arrived. :D Not complaining here, just trying to figure out the rules. It's hard to kick goals when the goal posts vanish. :)

Sorry krading,

I replied to your post and then realised I responded to the wrong post so deleted it right away. Can't help you with your question about your post being deleted.

Often posts are deleted and a public notice is made. Responses to deleted posts will usually be removed as well.

If your post is deleted please check the thread for a public notice. If there is no public notice then please PM me or a mod on duty to find out why your post was deleted. But it is policy that mods PM members if no public announcement is made.

If an entire thread is deleted then it is impossible to PM all members that their thread has been deleted. If a topic is clearly trollish, then I suggest that instead of responding, do not feed the troll but use the report button to inform a mod on duty that the thread is clearly trollish. Its a sad fact that there are people out there who join merely to troll.

If you have a question regarding a deleted topic, please PM a mod on duty or email support (at) thaivisa.com with your concerns.

If you expect a PM and have not received one then please re-PM the mod in question to find out what happened.

I hope this is clear enough to members now. Support is there for a reason. Use it.

Three's company.

I have come to the end of many topics that I find closed when I get to the end, and I had a really good response ready, but can't use it. I have also had posts deleted. In both cases, I wait for the right opportunity to re-post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like to unsubscribe here the soonest as possible but before that I want that ALL my posts be deleted. My question now is how should I do that when seems I don't see anything here how to.. waaahhhhhh!

thanks and hope for a quick action reply. PM would be much appreciated.

Thaivisa does not delete users' posts en masse at member requests. If you want to stop your membership, the easiest way is simply not to log in. If you have subscribed to anything (like a thread or a news source) you need to unsubscribe using your 'My Controls' and 'My Assistant' option at the top of your login page. If you seriously want your account to be disabled so you cannot log in even if you try, send me a PM and I will oblige.