Living In Thailand

davet58

Maybe interessting to know that a office-worker has a salary of 12.000-17.000 bath, many lives in small and cheap dorm-romes, but for 5000-7000 bath/month you get a good room with refridgerator, shower, A.C. & TV - in BKK.

Some office-workers that live alone (or supports family) also pay many thousands of bath every month for car.

My wife and her sister both made 13.000 bath, lived cheap - and paid 2000 bath each for/to parents.

Another sister is a home-mom, and her husband works +50 hours/week and bring in 7000 bath.... I've spent 10 weeks in their home, living like them (of course bottled water instead of rain-water, but otherwise the same... vegetables, fish, rice, chicken, fried meat).

If/when you have a place to stay, you can easily survive on 10.000 bath/month....

even squeeze in some beers, but.... no luxury there... no frequent taxirides to the mall, no cinema, no shopping.... food, housing, walking.....

so you could see it like this.... 30.000 bath = 1 thai-salary for living a good thai-life, another thai-salary for luxury lifestile....

that's my opinion.... and I know how to live cheap :-)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o There's a big difference between living there and being on holiday/vacation there. For living, 30k will be no problem, for holiday/vacation - well, it wouldn't feel very much like it. For the first few weeks try to keep note of all you spending for day to day living and also a separate list for 'extra' spending. Then if you are over spending you will know exactly where to make cuts.

Hope all goes well

Suegha

เสือ

:o There's a big difference between living there and being on holiday/vacation there.  For living, 30k will be no problem, for holiday/vacation - well, it wouldn't feel very much like it. For the first few weeks try to keep note of all you spending for day to day living and also a separate list for 'extra' spending.  Then if you are over spending you will know exactly where to make cuts.

Hope all goes well

Suegha

เสือ

I would like to add my endorsment to Suega's sound advice. After you get through your "start-up" expenses you'll have very little trouble living on 30k baht, IF you settle in a "non=tourist" area. And you're gonna LOVE IT. Don't forget to come on the msg board once in a while and give us a run down, for the benefit of others in your same position. We appreciate it as much as you do, especially me. because I intend to do the very same thing as you in the very near future. Good luck, Ernie

:o There's a big difference between living there and being on holiday/vacation there.  For living, 30k will be no problem, for holiday/vacation - well, it wouldn't feel very much like it. For the first few weeks try to keep note of all you spending for day to day living and also a separate list for 'extra' spending.  Then if you are over spending you will know exactly where to make cuts.

Hope all goes well

Suegha

เสือ

I would like to add my endorsment to Suega's sound advice. After you get through your "start-up" expenses you'll have very little trouble living on 30k baht, IF you settle in a "non=tourist" area. And you're gonna LOVE IT. Don't forget to come on the msg board once in a while and give us a run down, for the benefit of others in your same position. We appreciate it as much as you do, especially me. because I intend to do the very same thing as you in the very near future. Good luck, Ernie

Budget living not really my area but I suspect it is very misleading to advise foreigners they "will have very little trouble living on 30k baht".Bear in mind original poster was 58 years old single man with no Thai experience.Assume that the guy is not a fat white plonker (Chang swigging sex tourist type) and I would suggest minimum 80k baht monthly budget.Of this Bt 20,000 would be put away to build up reserves for rainy day etc.

Hope all goes well

Suegha

เสือ

Budget living not really my area but I suspect it is very misleading to advise foreigners they "will have very little trouble living on 30k baht".Bear in mind original poster was 58 years old single man with no Thai experience.Assume that the guy is not a fat white plonker (Chang swigging sex tourist type) and I would suggest minimum 80k baht monthly budget.Of this Bt 20,000 would be put away to build up reserves for rainy day etc.

He is trying to live cheap not save for his pension, Dave 30k is sufficient I think we have established that and the rental from your house will do you quite nicely.

for you lot who are too lazy to read the whole thread I will give a summary, he does not want to live in a city so accomadation will be cheap, he does not want to "do" BGs a quite medative break over the winter is what the gentleman is after..

I would suggest keeping away from traditional farang areas as everything is overpriced and a rip off, get out there and see the real Thailand. good luck to you Dave, and get your skates on, times a wasting

you can do fine on 20k if you eat only thai food, dont drink in the bars (save for a rare eve out), no bar fines (tons of freelance chicks), rent on a monthly basis a small flat (even with ac!), no pricey hobbies, diy visa runs, wash your own clothes.

i get by on 16-20k depending on variety of factors...

i bet for another 10k you could get in excercise club, driving range and a bit of golf!

pattaya can be greatfor this sort of life BUT...its getting a bit full of real losers/nutcases - full on. pattaya has lots of cheapies if you know where to look. most cities outside patters do not have the vacancy rates, dont speak english (negotiate terms), etc...

as for floating about thailand and asia...its an option but the days of clean us3-4 guesthouses are going by the by.

cambodia can be more not less expensive, thailand has amazing economies of scale.

boris: i could live in states on 80k a month -retired.

why does everyone equate money with happiness/contentment. i wouldnt have a clue to spend 80k a month in asia. sure be shagging the best thailand has on offer!

Edited by h5n1

you can do fine on 20k if you eat only thai food, dont drink in the bars (save for a rare eve out), no bar fines (tons of freelance chicks), rent on a monthly basis a small flat (even with ac!), no pricey hobbies, diy visa runs, wash your own clothes.

i bet for another 10k you could get in excercise club, driving range and a bit of golf!

pattaya can be greatfor this sort of life BUT...its getting a bit full of real losers/nutcases - full on. pattaya has lots of cheapies if you know where to look. most cities outside patters do not have the vacancy rates, dont speak english (negotiate terms), etc...

as for floating about thailand and asia...its an option but the days of clean us3-4 guesthouses are going by the by.

cambodia can be more not less expensive, thailand has amazing economies of scale.

why does everyone equate money with happiness/contentment. i wouldnt have a clue to spend 80k a month in asia. sure be shagging the best thailand has on offer!

Oh I agree that you can live on 20K in Thailand. Here is a step by step program of what you need to do

1. Get tiny 1 room apt. with none of the following: Phone, pest control, hot water, fan/AC, cooking aparatus, TV (so you're not tempted to use, costs money for electric)

*also careful how you use water. prob keep bathwater for a week in the tub. you will need to handwash clothes so try and do this once a month to keep water bill down

2. Don't buy anything ever. Stuff costs money

3. Don't even think about having a lady or as above poster says "shagging". /you cannot even think about doing this on that budget. No lady will look at you on that budget and paying is out of question

4. Don't go anywhere, ever (except on proper visa runs and immigration runs). Going places costs money. You have no money. Dont even think about going anywhere or you blow out the budget

5. Eating you must do so I would buy any 15-20 baht street meals you can to keep your food budget around 100 baht. Dont ever never go to a store and buy anything to eat, you cannot afford it. Drink only the water from the street food guy. he may charge a baht a cup but you have no money to buy bottled water.

6. unlike what the guy above says, of course you would never ever ever think about setting foot in a bar. this is unthinkable. a beer costs you a day's food. get it out of your head

7. prepare yourself for life with no internet. there's no money for it. forget about it.

Bottom line is just follow my plan and 20k will do it. how true it is that you dont need money in thailand following this to the letter. dont stray from it or even think about straying or it cannot be done. enjoy life here within these guidelines and walk proud. I am sad to say that those who suggest that you can have nights out, ladies, gyms, restaurant eats, travel and other things I did not list are lying to you.

*********one final thing: please do not ever need medicine or any kind of medical or dental attention. this will ruin you

Edited by monochaser

Oh I agree that you can live on 20K in Thailand. Here is a step by step program of what you need to do

1. Get tiny 1 room apt. with none of the following: Phone, pest control, hot water, fan/AC, cooking aparatus, TV (so you're not tempted to use, costs money for electric)

*also careful how you use water. prob keep bathwater for a week in the tub. you will need to handwash clothes so try and do this once a month to keep water bill down

bullocks, i've got a friend in minburi, pays bt.6,000 for a new condo, including aircon, and laundry

2. Don't buy anything ever. Stuff costs money,

why not, you can buy many cheap items on the markets in thailand.

3. Don't even think about having a lady or as above poster says "shagging". /you cannot even think about doing this on that budget. No lady will look at you on that budget and paying is out of question

well then you don't know about the thermae or friendly gals up-country

4. Don't go anywhere, ever (except on proper visa runs and immigration runs). Going places costs money. You have no money. Dont even think about going anywhere or you blow out the budget

busses and trains are cheap enough, clean guest houses for bt.2-300 plenty about

5. Eating you must do so I would buy any 15-20 baht street meals you can to keep your food budget around 100 baht. Dont ever never go to a store and buy anything to eat, you cannot afford it. Drink only the water from the street food guy. he may charge a baht a cup but you have no money to buy bottled water.

what a balloney, you can buy many reasonble food items that will keep your budget down, and can afford a few nice meals outside as well

6. unlike what the guy above says, of course you would never ever ever think about setting foot in a bar. this is unthinkable. a beer costs you a day's food. get it out of your head

in pattaya and elsewhere bt.35-60 bottles of beer are not going to send you broke, not everyone goes on the piss everyday

7. prepare yourself for life with no internet. there's no money for it. forget about it.

now this is real crap, plenty of internet cards and cafe's abound

Bottom line is just follow my plan and 20k will do it. how true it is that you dont need money in thailand following this to the letter. dont stray from it or even think about straying or it cannot be done. enjoy life here within these guidelines and walk proud. I am sad to say that those who suggest that you can have nights out, ladies, gyms, restaurant eats, travel and other things I did not list are lying to you.

bottom line bt.30k for a sensible living person, is okay

*********one final thing: please do not ever need medicine or any kind of medical or dental attention. this will ruin you

another major misquote, he could have either still have his uk insurance or otherwise bupa insurance for less than bt.1k a month

the bottom line is that a good eldery friend(65) of mine lives the a life of a riley on bt.30k a month in bangkok, the people around him love him, he is gentle, smiles a lot and always find a gal or two to poke per month :o

Hope all goes well

Suegha

เสือ

He is trying to live cheap not save for his pension, Dave 30k is sufficient I think we have established that and the rental from your house will do you quite nicely.

for you lot who are too lazy to read the whole thread I will give a summary, he does not want to live in a city so accomadation will be cheap, he does not want to "do" BGs a quite medative break over the winter is what the gentleman is after..

I would suggest keeping away from traditional farang areas as everything is overpriced and a rip off, get out there and see the real Thailand. good luck to you Dave, and get your skates on, times a wasting

high all :D i would like to thank everyone for thier comments and advice some amusing,i am not a fat white plonker{ although bald as a monk} i dont want a tgf [although this could change} i dont want to sit in a apartment i like street life love wandering about and reading[ :D not at same time] :D my mp3 player contains my whole music collection plus radio :o beer now and again :D from your comments this simple life seems possible i would have aresrve of money available for emergencys plus ins of course. how much is dental filling compared with private one in uk. :huh:thanks again :D

Edited by davet58

2. Don't buy anything ever. Stuff costs money

May as well stay in the U.K. :o

hmmmm, seems to be way too many rich ppl here, ok i can live on 22,000baht per month, my rent is 6,000baht per month, my electric is a bit high due to aircon, but yep 22,000baht per month, thats with 2 bikes 1 car and 1 truck and eating at home, but alas i have never actually got it down that low, cos there is that little thing called ENTERTAINMENT, now thats where the money will go, now i have to admit that wot i consider entertainment is naked women and booze, and i seem to spend way too much on that :o and the way things are going as i get older i can see it being more expensive with the need of things like viagra, yep getting old here aint such a good idea :D

hmmmm, seems to be way too many rich ppl here, ok i can live on 22,000baht per month, my rent is 6,000baht per month, my electric is a bit high due to aircon, but yep 22,000baht per month, thats with 2 bikes 1 car and 1 truck and eating at home, but alas i have never actually got it down that low, cos there is that little thing called ENTERTAINMENT, now thats where the money will go, now i have to admit that wot i consider entertainment is naked women and booze, and i seem to spend way too much on that :o and the way things are going as i get older i can see it being more expensive with the need of things like viagra, yep getting old here aint such a good idea :D

Well then, dont say you can live on 22k cause you cant. you just said you can and then said you cant. so dont lie in the 1st place and tell the truth that you cant. living on 22k is a pipe dream. i cant stand when people on this forum encourage others to move here on a monthly wage which is less than half the USA poverty line. It is just flat ass ludicrous. In fact, it is down right dangerous and insane. you can make more money on the streets of NY with a tin cup. what a joke you sad sackers are

Well then, dont say you can live on 22k cause you cant. you just said you can and then said you cant. so dont lie in the 1st place and tell the truth that you cant. living on 22k is a pipe dream. i cant stand when people on this forum encourage others to move here on a monthly wage which is less than half the USA poverty line. It is just flat ass ludicrous. In fact, it is down right dangerous and insane. you can make more money on the streets of NY with a tin cup. what a joke you sad sackers are

if you actually read the thread you will find that the original poster isnt into drinking and wants to meditate, yes i could live on 22k if i just wanted to go down the beach everyday and then come back to watch tv and play with me dogs or galfriend, but alas i get these urges that need to be satisfied, and that involves naked women and beer, as the average salary in thai is 4,000baht per month, how do you think they can live??

My husband & I lived quite well on less than 20k baht a month living in Khon Kaen, that included both of us going out 3X per week to the local live music bar, buying fresh produce to eat every day & paying the bills on our house 2.5k bht pm rent & 500k bht pm electric as well as electric & telephone for the MIL house (2k p/mnth). I used the local internet cafe everday, paid for several trips to BKK for Embassy visits & bought clothes for the neices & ate out 4 nights per week. I wouldn't say I was living below the bread line in fact I had a better standard of life that I do now in the UK earning 300k baht per month.

As other posters have said, depending on what you want from your life here you can live as cheaply or as expensive as you want. I have a female aussie friend who couldn't spend more that 10k per month including her 3.5k baht rent even if she tried, she doesn't smoke, drinks a little & owns her own transport. She has a computor, cable tv, full kitchen, goes out 4+ nights a week & still manages to save 30k baht a mont from her 40k pm salary.

how much does a girl cost ?viagra cost? is there a big problem with aids or other stds.

My husband & I lived quite well on less than 20k baht a month living in Khon Kaen, that included both of us going out  3X per week to the local live music bar, buying fresh produce to eat every day & paying the bills on our house 2.5k bht pm rent & 500k bht pm electric as well as electric & telephone for the MIL house (2k p/mnth). I used the local internet cafe everday, paid for several trips to BKK for Embassy visits & bought clothes for the neices & ate out 4 nights per week. I wouldn't say I was living below the bread line in fact I had a better standard of life that I do now in the UK earning 300k baht per month.

As other posters have said, depending on what you want from your life here you can live as cheaply or as expensive as you want.  I have a female aussie friend who couldn't spend more that 10k per month including her 3.5k baht rent even if she tried, she doesn't smoke, drinks a little & owns her own transport. She has a computor, cable tv, full kitchen, goes out 4+ nights a week & still manages to save 30k baht a mont from her 40k pm salary.

sounds good to me! :o

if you actually read the thread you will find that the original poster isnt into drinking and wants to meditate, yes i could live on 22k if i just wanted to go down the beach everyday and then come back to watch tv and play with me dogs or galfriend, but alas i get these urges that need to be satisfied, and that involves naked women and beer, as the average salary in thai is 4,000baht per month, how do you think they can live??

might I recommend Cuba to you in that case, where the avg monthly wage is $13. I'm sure you'd be living like a king there on 25-100 bucks. gimme a break

how much does a girl cost ?viagra cost? is there a big problem with aids or other stds.

LOL. yes there is an std problem. You can add condoms to your list and 2000 bt for lady. viags will run you 200 bt/tab for generic. but dont worry, you'll never be able to spend 10k/mo no matter how hard you try. it's just <deleted> impossible. it cant be done esp. with your wallet crazy glued together. oh and dont for get to add condoms and other little items that pop up that you have to buy.

this thread has really become ludicrous with the pittance amounts of cash spent monthly. I do not believe it for a second. I give my gf 20k/mo for pocket change

Edited by monochaser

My husband & I lived quite well on less than 20k baht a month living in Khon Kaen, that included both of us going out  3X per week to the local live music bar, buying fresh produce to eat every day & paying the bills on our house 2.5k bht pm rent & 500k bht pm electric as well as electric & telephone for the MIL house (2k p/mnth). I used the local internet cafe everday, paid for several trips to BKK for Embassy visits & bought clothes for the neices & ate out 4 nights per week. I wouldn't say I was living below the bread line in fact I had a better standard of life that I do now in the UK earning 300k baht per month.

As other posters have said, depending on what you want from your life here you can live as cheaply or as expensive as you want.  I have a female aussie friend who couldn't spend more that 10k per month including her 3.5k baht rent even if she tried, she doesn't smoke, drinks a little & owns her own transport. She has a computor, cable tv, full kitchen, goes out 4+ nights a week & still manages to save 30k baht a mont from her 40k pm salary.

Well then this friend must be skipping out on her tabs on nights out and/or having someone else flip the bill for everything. It would be completely insane for anyone from anywhere to move to Thailand and live on 10k/mo unless they were a homeless tin cup beggar. I mean if you look at the paragraph above about a 3.5k rent, cable, internet, nights out 4+ times per week and could not possibly spend more than 10k per mo, it is absolutely, completely and utterly ridiculous/ludicrous. I got a bridge to sell ya

LOL. yes there is an std problem. You can add condoms to your list and 2000 bt for lady. viags will run you 200 bt/tab for generic. but dont worry, you'll never be able to spend 10k/mo no matter how hard you try. it's just <deleted> impossible. it cant be done esp. with your wallet crazy glued together. oh and dont for get to add condoms and other little items that pop up that you have to buy.

this thread has really become ludicrous with the pittance amounts of cash spent monthly. I do not believe it for a second. I give my gf 20k/mo for pocket change

ahhh you have to pay for your galfriend. thats not a bad thing, but some of us have galfriends that earn more than that pocket change you give your galfriend.

as for 2000baht per lady i am obviously not as old and ugly as you, i normally reckon on 2 gals and room short time at a 1,000baht, as of yet i havent resorted to viagra or that sort of stuff but realise that in the future i will do, still an old fok like you will normally have to pay the full price, such is life....

ahhh you have to pay for your galfriend. thats not a bad thing, but some of us have galfriends that earn more than that pocket change you give your galfriend.

as for 2000baht per lady i am obviously not as old and ugly as you, i normally reckon on 2 gals and room short time at a 1,000baht, as of yet i havent resorted to viagra or that sort of stuff but realise that in the future i will do, still an old fok like you will normally have to pay the full price, such is life....

No dude, 1000 wont get you that at today's prices. you might be able to get a package deal for 2k plus room

No dude, 1000 wont get you that at today's prices. you might be able to get a package deal for 2k plus room

hmmmm, so now you have become an expert on my life have you monochaser the old fool, monochaser i live in jomtien, i have lived here for 10 years, before that i lived in pattaya for 4 years, dont you think i know wot prices i pay??

hmmmm, seems to be way too many rich ppl here, ok i can live on 22,000baht per month, my rent is 6,000baht per month, my electric is a bit high due to aircon, but yep 22,000baht per month, thats with 2 bikes 1 car and 1 truck and eating at home, but alas i have never actually got it down that low, cos there is that little thing called ENTERTAINMENT, now thats where the money will go, now i have to admit that wot i consider entertainment is naked women and booze, and i seem to spend way too much on that :D and the way things are going as i get older i can see it being more expensive with the need of things like viagra, yep getting old here aint such a good idea :D

in this world not every body is" <deleted> "rich ,you should try stayin of the juice,pitythe tsnunami didnt wash you and expats like you away nobody will miss you ,only your dosh. :o <deleted> you ,in all my travels the worst people to meet are expats all they do is <deleted> moan about the old country, brits are the <deleted> worst :D any body agree?im pissed.im sorry i am a brit and im moaning :D

Edited by davet58

might I recommend Cuba to you in that case, where the avg monthly wage is $13. I'm sure you'd be living like a king there on 25-100 bucks. gimme a break

cubas great. fantastic women cheap cheap cheap spanish sounds better than thai!or is it portugese! i forget long time ago bay of pigs and all that.

Edited by davet58