Visa On Entry

I have lived in Bkk for several years with my wife, managing to stay on a combination of work permits and visa runs to Cambodia.

Over Songkran we are planning a jaunt to singapore and Chaing Mai before returning to Bkk. My wife wanted to be sure that we had our facts about visas straight and when she checked was told that in order to obtain visas on entry we must have not only onward tickets but return tickets to the place from whence we came (in this case it'll be Singapore).

We were told the same thing by both the Indonesian Embassy (my wife is Indonesian) and the Immigration in Suan Plu, we were told this would apply to both of us (I am British)

A little confused especially that tickets cannot simply be onward (what do all the travelers passing through do???)

PUZZLED - any offers???????

You should have a ticket to exit Thailand within 30 days if you wish to get the

30 days on arrival visa.

For a westerner this is rarely, if ever checked, but if you are flying the airline

will check to cover themselves.

I am not sure how strict Immigration will be with your wife, as an Indonesian.

Did they ask for tickets when you were border hopping to Cambodia?

I doubt that the procedure at the Malaysia border will be any different.

PS it is stupid for the embassy to say you need an onward AND a return ticket.

It will be one or the other!!

Lots of conversations unfold like this:

Q:"Do we need onward tickets?"

A:"yes. you need return tickets?"

Q: "return tickets also?"

A: "yes."

Q:"so we need onward tickets and return tickets?"

A: "huh?"

They dont know, so they basically say "yes." or alternatively give you the most difficult answer to cover any mistake.

You will require a ticket "leaving Thailand" within 30days to get a 30day entry stamp, IF you need anything at all.

BUT

If your going to singapore anyway, why not get a brand new 90day tourist visa from the Thai consulate, then you dont have to worry about anything. :o

Lots of conversations unfold like this:

Q:"Do we need onward tickets?"

A:"yes. you need return tickets?"

Q: "return tickets also?"

A: "huh?"

They dont know, so they basically say "yes." or alternatively give you the most difficult answer to cover any mistake.

You will require a ticket "leaving Thailand" within 30days to get a 30day entry stamp, IF you need anything at all.

BUT

If your going to singapore anyway, why not get a brand new 90day tourist visa from the Thai consulate,  then you dont have to worry about anything.  :o

A tourist visa enables a 60 day stay. It can be extended up to 30 days in Thailand for 1900 baht