Maybe Incredibly Stupid, Strange Or Whatever,

Nienke

I always have been able to get around those stupid credit cards. Not so anymore, now I need one and I don't know a thing about it. :)

I need Mastercard or Visa. Which one is better, easier, cheaper, more accepted anywhere?

Can you get it at the Bangkok Bank or do I need to go somewhere else?

What's the procedure?

What else is important to know about these yukkie cards, other than that you need to be careful with it?

Thanks in advance.

I always have been able to get around those stupid credit cards. Not so anymore, now I need one and I don't know a thing about it. :)

I need Mastercard or Visa. Which one is better, easier, cheaper, more accepted anywhere?

What's the procedure?

What else is important to know about these yukkie cards, other than that you need to be careful with it?

Thanks in advance.

Do you need a credit card, or a debit card? A debit card is either Visa or Mastercard, and can be requested from your bank as an ATM card. But it can be used sometimes for online purchases. To get a credit card, you need credit to get it, again, from your local bank. I think both cards are the same, good or bad.

Edited by Ajarn

Im not a fan either Nienke. I dont know if this helps, but if you only need a credit card for stuff through the net, you can get an online 'virtual' credit card via K-Bank. Pretty easy to set up. In saying that, i havent tested mine out yet, but others have on Thaivisa, as there was a thread on it.

Edit: The virtual credit card is connected to your actual k-bank account. So, although gives you all the digits you need for an online visa purchase, it comes out of your account directly. Security is high also, for, when you log into it to the account to get any code, you are sent a pin via sms. A new pin each time. You need to punch in the pin to activate the security digits needed for any purchase.

Edited by eek

Travelling around I prefer Visa over Master card. It’s just my preference as I had a few problems with shops accepting Mastercard years ago.

The wife has a few credit cards from various Thai banks. Bangkok bank upgraded her and issued Mastercard to replace the Visa card she had. It seems they promote different card companies for different credit levels. She uses both Visa and Mastercard in Thailand without problems.

I only need a credit card for online purchases, so the virtual credit card sounds interesting. Have a look if the Bkk bank has one two, otherwise I'll check it out at the K-bank. Have at both banks an account.

If you only sometimes can use a debit card for online purchases, as Ajarn says, then I go for a credit card, just to prevent possible frustration.

Thanks all for your replies. :)

Not enough places take Paypal yet, Also Paypal makes it hard to get an account without a credit card.

I had to finally get a credit card too, because of a phishing attack on my Paypal account. They said they wouldn't release my own money unless I got a credit card.

What's the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

I got a visa card at Bangkok bank. Very simple except it's not really a credit card even though it is.

As a foreigner I had to put into a savings account at the bank double the amount of 'so called' credit I wanted. Bills come monthly as they do back home, no dramas and very good call/service centre.

If you want 100K credit, you need to deposit 200K and so on, into an account and away you go. Bloody rip off really, why not the same amount as you would like in credit, the card will be blocked once you reach that limit anyway. Very useful though in this online world we're in. NOw my wife needs one as I can't buy flight tickets for her with my card, what a palava.

Regards Bojo

What's the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

I got a visa card at Bangkok bank. Very simple except it's not really a credit card even though it is.

As a foreigner I had to put into a savings account at the bank double the amount of 'so called' credit I wanted. Bills come monthly as they do back home, no dramas and very good call/service centre.

If you want 100K credit, you need to deposit 200K and so on, into an account and away you go. Bloody rip off really, why not the same amount as you would like in credit, the card will be blocked once you reach that limit anyway. Very useful though in this online world we're in. NOw my wife needs one as I can't buy flight tickets for her with my card, what a palava.

Regards Bojo

me to, i have a year deposit account and get credit to the value of 50% of the deposit but the card bill is paid in full every month from my savings account (a different account) so it is like a debit card but with 1 to 2 months credit i guess, still i always did pay my uk cards off in full as well. what it does give you is full credit card purchasing power including the "security number" on th back

What's the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Bojo

It's Ok as well for people that just leave money in an account for the extension visa (retirement, marriage etc). The BB just blocks 200K if you have a 100K limit, 400K if you have a 200K limit etc. I agree it is excessive, but if you want the card and don't usually touch the money it's quite useful.

I have the same alleged "credit card" at BBL.

They "freeze" 400,000 THB for a spurious 200K "credit line".

The above is right; it's a secured card with a ridiculous guarantee.

Oh, and to unlock the frozen monies, you must turn in the card, and wait a minimum of a month, I am told.

It is nonetheless very handy when traveling domestically or overseas. The monies due are automatically deducted from whatever BBL account you have linked the payment to (not necessarily the frozen money account). It is really a glorified revolving credit charge card, like a Macy's card in the US. Pay up every month.

But if you need to rent a car in a hurry, or check a new arriving friend into a hotel, etc. I guess it comes in handy.

I hope to add some useful information and background about a complex situation. There are a lot of things involved. Nienke, as this relates to dogs and cats, I'd be interested to know what it is in what catalog which impels you into the world of credit cards!!

For specific referral, I do not recommend any particular bank in Thailand. I would, however, pick one of the more international banks, perhaps Bangkok Bank. It all really depends on international banking relationships and your past banking and credit history.

For general consideration, the large credit card companies have slammed on the brakes worldwide in recent months because of overselling their own cards to over-indulgent spenders. That's a huge part of the "credit bubble" we all read about. Basically, they are tightening up. I am not surprised to have read above that some banks in Thailand apparently require a secure deposit of twice the credit limit!

In addition, Thailand has an unfortunate reputation for credit card fraud. Such fraud has to do with clever citizens as well as nefarious (sometimes simply impecunious) expatriates. Accordingly, having a Thai Bank-issued credit card might not be an altogether successful experience.

Then, many vendors in other countries might automatically refuse a credit card purchase simply because a purchase is made in Thailand, the card is issued in Thailand, and so on, or that does not include a verifiable credit record (including a readily verifiable other country address) in Europe or North America. [Oh yes, there are some large islands with small populations in the southern hemisphere which are included!]

As well, expatriates are notoriously difficult to recover losses from. For one, consider the innocent death of a cardholder (not a minor consideration among the tottering Chiang Mai expat community) it might simply be hard to collect. Otherwise, it seems that a lot of expatriates simply --- well --- just disappear. There seem to be quite a few of those characters, unfortunately. So, why should anyone be surprised that any expatriate would be asked to secure a credit card with an account ?

Let's take a look at personal banking practices. Are you a steady customer? How long have you been around? How much money do you keep in your accounts? Have you said hello to the manager? Do you play ATMs like slot machines, 1000 bhat a throw? Never mind! Your banking activity can be quite revealing!

I join those who have been appalled by the inflation of the "credit bubble" worldwide, which insidious results have yet to be unwound. I think that corporate preoccupation with short-term banking profit results married with immature and irrational individual credit management have had a deadly economic impact in which many can share blame. And from which many sensible people may suffer!

Inconvenient, isn't it?!

Doesn't work for you? Check with your local Western Union!

I only need a credit card for online purchases, so the virtual credit card sounds interesting. Have a look if the Bkk bank has one two, otherwise I'll check it out at the K-bank. Have at both banks an account.

If you only sometimes can use a debit card for online purchases, as Ajarn says, then I go for a credit card, just to prevent possible frustration.

I got a Kasikorn DEBIT card especially for on-line use but find its not accepted when I try to book hotels. And even when I go to the hotel desk in person they say we only accept CREDIT CARDS .I have to use one of my UK credit cards.

The on-line booking form always asks you for "the name on the Card" but there's no name on the Card. It just says "privileged member" whatever that means. It also has on it "electronic use only". So, they do accept it at Rimping etc. and of course its useful for ATM's.

Maybe Kasikorn have another more appropriate Card but strangely they do market this one -K-DEBIT CARD - as useful for on-line purchases. I've only tried hotels so far.

One other thing about the two cards, Debit and Credit, is that the Debit card is exactly what it's called and the money is taken from your account immediately--therefore giving no options to change your mind, etc. whereas the Credit card gives the buyer some time before they have to pay the bill--always remembering to make sure that payment is made before the date when the bank starts charging interest at the usually exorbitantly high rates--and all purchases are guaranteed by the Credit card company--should anything happen to the goods in transit, or even when in your possession, up to a point.

I have both types for various reasons--they both have their plus/minus points--my mother, who is 86 years old, refuses to get a Credit card but has a Debit card for online and even day to day shopping--some supermarkets will not accept a Credit card but happily take Debit.

Sorry if I am repeating any previous posters info--I haven't taken the time to read everyone's input--apologies in advance.

I got a Kasikorn DEBIT card especially for on-line use but find its not accepted when I try to book hotels. And even when I go to the hotel desk in person they say we only accept CREDIT CARDS .I have to use one of my UK credit cards.

The on-line booking form always asks you for "the name on the Card" but there's no name on the Card. It just says "privileged member" whatever that means. It also has on it "electronic use only". So, they do accept it at Rimping etc. and of course its useful for ATM's.

Maybe Kasikorn have another more appropriate Card but strangely they do market this one -K-DEBIT CARD - as useful for on-line purchases. I've only tried hotels so far.

Kasikorn has at least two kinds if debit cards. One for in-country (free) which has no name on it, and a out-of-country card for 300 baht which will have your name on the card...

Kasikorn has at least two kinds if debit cards. One for in-country (free) which has no name on it, and a out-of-country card for 300 baht which will have your name on the card...

Oh, I wasnt aware of that.

Ajarn, can you get that card quite easily then or have to meet certain criteria? Ive had an account with K-Bank for about a year, but its pretty dormant with just some funds sitting in there. Use Bangkok Bank the most. Maybe they would want a more active account to issue this card?

Oh, I wasnt aware of that.

Ajarn, can you get that card quite easily then or have to meet certain criteria? Ive had an account with K-Bank for about a year, but its pretty dormant with just some funds sitting in there. Use Bangkok Bank the most. Maybe they would want a more active account to issue this card?

In my case, Kasikorn offers them to me as an option. If I am travelling outside the country, I can not use the free ATM card, so if I want to pay the 300 baht fee, I will be issued (in a week) with a card with my name on it. I keep a lot of money with them, but I don't think it makes a difference. I use it with no problems, except it is usefull on some online purchases only. I use my citibank debit card for most of my online purchases.

Edited by Ajarn