Tip Now

actiondell4

I bought a magazine for 180 baht and was waiting for my 20 baht change (with my hand out) when the boy stuffed it into the tip-box.

Should you buy a book there again, either pay the exact amount or stand there with one hand out for the change and the other hand covering the tip-box slot. :)

I took my computer screen to Samsung next door to Pattaya Bangkok hospital ,the sevice i got was second to none ,didnt charge me (i thaught it was out of guarantee) when i tried to tip the repair man ,he smiled but wouldnt take it ,tried to give a couple of hundred to the girls on the desk to share out ,for the fantastic service ,they smiled and politely refused ,just said to bring any samsung gear i had for repair any time .

100% recomend from me .

I tip 20 bt, if they are nice and pleasant, in one particular restaurent, the young guy polishes all of the plates a cutlery for us, and really makes it look like he is trying, he is very polite - he deserves a tip.

I will not tip if the service is not good, I will not tip if they stand waiting with there little silver tray, and I will not tip if I go for a drink somewhere, and the girl has to walk literally 10 steps to the fridge and dragging her feet, not smiling.

I don't care what they think of me, its my money !!! If they are nice and polite yes, if they are miserable - no.

Went to a bar, asked for a Leo. Was told "do not sell Leo" Asked for Singha was told "Sorry not have, only have Heinekin" OK not too fussed said I'll have Heinekin. She brought me a Tiger! No apologise or anything. She got no tip.

Another place the waitress approached the table on her knees, took the order, backed away on her knees before standing to get the drinks from the fridge. When she returned, before she reached the table she knelt down again, shuffled to the table and with head down placed the beers on the table. Backed away again, stood up, bowed and waited in case we needed anything else. She got a tip!

Normaly I always leave 20 baht. But sometimes I just have one drink and feel I should not be tipping 20 baht when the bill was only 40 baht! So at my local bar I have stopped leaving anything when I just have the one drink. No one has said anything to my face but I have noticed that mwhen I go into the bar recently I am ignored by most of the staff. Coincidence?

Chris

I want to add, that if the waiter/waitress is extra nice, helpfull and polite, I sometimes leave some small change on the silver tray, and I also fold up a 20 Bt note so so small, and slip it into there hand as they take the silver tray or book. There face lights up.

The misery's dont get 1 Bt, and I am not shy of walking out of somewhere if the service is rubbish and i never tipped..

They have to earn my tip with the right attitude, a smile and acceptable service. Otherwise they not only don't get a tip but they also lose me as a customer.

No shortage of restaurants or bars in Pty, and if it pisses off the pc fundamentalists then so be it but my few yearsworth of living in LoS nudges me towards farang-run places over their Thai-run equivalents.

Only common in westernized areas of Thailand (Pattaya & Bangkok).

If you made your bed then you lay in it without grumbling!.

If you don't like your bed, then move to the real Thailand (anywhere else).

So at my local bar I have stopped leaving anything when I just have the one drink. No one has said anything to my face but I have noticed that mwhen I go into the bar recently I am ignored by most of the staff. Coincidence?

Find another bar. You stopped giving a tip when previously you did....that was your mistake. If you stop they will all think something must be wrong.

Stay with your regular tip, or don't start tipping in the first place.

Anyone who cares too much what the wait staff think need their head read, really.

It is really simple, tipping is up to you depending on your mood and the level of service given.

No deep thought or analysis required.

BTW Just noticed there is a tip box in the internet cafe here. No i wont be contributing as i don't think an internet cafe is worthy of a tipping service and I wont feel bad about it either.

Here's an easy way to overcome your embarrassment for not leaving a tip.

They're being exceptionally rude by asking for a tip, so not leaving one is a good repayment for rudeness.

When people are rude enough to ask for a tip don't leave one. It just makes the situation worse when you reward bad behaviour.

My Filipino gf taught me this because in her country they never ask for tips and she considers it very bad manners.

They ask you precisely because they have no respect for you. :) Do you think that they would ever do that to a Thai person of higher standing?

They're being exceptionally rude by asking for a tip, so not leaving one is a good repayment for rudeness.

When people are rude enough to ask for a tip don't leave one. It just makes the situation worse when you reward bad behaviour.

My Filipino gf taught me this because in her country they never ask for tips and she considers it very bad manners.

They ask you precisely because they have no respect for you. :) Do you think that they would ever do that to a Thai person of higher standing?

In all my time here I have never, repeat never heard a Thai ask another Thai for a tip, its not done out of respect, its done out of fear of the consequences, these people are at the bottom end of Thai society and they know it, they also know the consequences if they disrespect another Thai, loss of face loss of job etc etc, as previous poster said shows just how much respect they have for you, a simple FO works every time, if these people have no respect for me why should I respect them.

I disagree with that. They ask you precisely because it works, they can get away with it and many suckers hand over the loot.

If you were dressed in filthy rags and looked like a pauper they probably wouldn't ask.

Nothing at all to do with respect.

a simple FO works every time, if these people have no respect for me why should I respect them.

You must be from the gutter because that's getting carried away.

A simple NO will suffiice. FO is an attack and extremely offensive.

In all my time here I have never, repeat never heard a Thai ask another Thai for a tip, its not done out of respect, its done out of fear of the consequences, these people are at the bottom end of Thai society and they know it, they also know the consequences if they disrespect another Thai, loss of face loss of job etc etc, as previous poster said shows just how much respect they have for you, a simple FO works every time, if these people have no respect for me why should I respect them.

You must be kidding, "tipping" is rife between Thais espescially at places like the Land Office, and Banks when Thais are trying to get loans!! and we are not talking 20 Baht here!

I would call it bribery but they just ask for a "tip" and they consider it quite normal practise! :)

By the way, telling them to FO is not smart and will probably land you in bother, take care.

Edited by LennyW

Quite a few restaurants are charging a 10% service charge these days. eg Zen, Fuji

Do any of you leave tips in these restaurants?

I only leave the single baht coins and I notice the Thais leave nothing else either.

Thats so true.

My wife even takes the tip back if im not looking. :)

Unfortunately it has become an integral part of the Thai/Tourist society to openly demand tips. I get comments all the time, if i leave "only" 20 Baht for a 50 Baht cup of coffee. For good service I feel 10-15% is adequate. But let's be honest, when do we receive good service in any place in Thailand/Pattaya? Most of the staff are unqualified, lazy, have an attitude and they hardly know their own menu. Compared to the US, Philippines and many other places, Thais hardly ever deserve a tip. But these days even the staff at the dentist's office opens their hands. Amazing, but true!

They don't even realize how they piss off most of us! JL

Places that I use several times a week, such as Caddy Shack, I leave a tip - ten percent or so. Always get friendly service and even the kitchen staff know my preferences, so I am content.

But half the establishments I patronise on a trial basis give poor, unfriendly service, so no tip and seldom revisit.

There is one establishment where I go regularly in Pattaya, where I always tip the staff 50 baht because they recognise me and give me excellent service.

Anywhere else I go just gets the coins up to 20 baht max.

The problem is that service in many places is poor and not even with a smile. This wasn't always the case, maybe it is the economic downturn or the strength of the baht. I actually remember the time a bar girl was chuffed to bits to receive a 10 baht tip. (circa 2000).

FO is a known retort all around the world. I once saw two Scotsmen get hospitalised a few seconds after they told a watch seller to FO in Soi Diana. I doubt they used that phrase again while in Pattaya.

a simple FO works every time, if these people have no respect for me why should I respect them.

Seeing as we have never met, where I am from is nothing but mere speculation on your part.

I wish a simple no would suffice, I find more and more these days it doesnt.

I find being referred to as, man followed by Yxx Mxxx to be an attack and extremely offensive, especially from someone in the service industry, however the reply is the only language they understand.

I think it was you who mentioned something about these people doing it because they can get away with it, in the majority of the cases that may well be true, where the farang has no idea of what is being said.

The sort of language used would certainly never be used to another Thai in similair circumstances.

If some wish to be treated like dirt, up to them, I have no wish to be treated like a doormat.

Seeing as we have never met, where I am from is nothing but mere speculation on your part.

I wish a simple no would suffice, I find more and more these days it doesnt.

I find being referred to as, man followed by Yxx Mxxx to be an attack and extremely offensive, especially from someone in the service industry, however the reply is the only language they understand.

I think it was you who mentioned something about these people doing it because they can get away with it, in the majority of the cases that may well be true, where the farang has no idea of what is being said.

The sort of language used would certainly never be used to another Thai in similair circumstances.

If some wish to be treated like dirt, up to them, I have no wish to be treated like a doormat.

Telling a Thai to FO after they asked you for a tip certainly doesn't put you in a decent category as far as behaviour is concerned.

If you are serious about this and you actually do use FO regularly for such minor problems, good luck to you. I never use FO in Thailand under any circumstances.

The fact that they may make derogatory comments in the Thai language is no excuse. We are visitors here.

If a visitor (tourist) came to my home country and started mouthing off at locals he would soon get into some serious trouble. It's no different here.

Edited by tropo

Quite a few restaurants are charging a 10% service charge these days. eg Zen, Fuji

Do any of you leave tips in these restaurants?

I only leave the single baht coins and I notice the Thais leave nothing else either.

I think the "thais never tip" is another myth. I look out of the corner of my eye when i'm in a restaurant like Fuji and the medium-so thais seem to leave a bill tip (at least a 20) at least half the time. Likewise in Insomnia, I see plenty of girls leave the coins for the staff when they get drinks, and some even tip a 20. Out of the corner of my eye of course...

However I would say that having worked in the frontline of the restaurant business in Koh Samui for many years, that some foreigners are an embarressment to their country. I have seen on many occasion outright rudeness and the 'I'm a superior foreigner' attitude towards decent, genuine and hard working employees, but it's amazing how their attitude changes when I appear from out the back.

It's no surprise that some Thai's have taken to asking for tips (I do condone this). I have also seen my staff working like slaves and really making an effort only to be met without even a 'thank you' from customers.

Regards Bojo

Maybe you should pay your staff more if you feel that they work like slaves.

However I would say that having worked in the frontline of the restaurant business in Koh Samui for many years, that some foreigners are an embarressment to their country. I have seen on many occasion outright rudeness and the 'I'm a superior foreigner' attitude towards decent, genuine and hard working employees, but it's amazing how their attitude changes when I appear from out the back.

It's no surprise that some Thai's have taken to asking for tips (I do condone this). I have also seen my staff working like slaves and really making an effort only to be met without even a 'thank you' from customers.

Regards Bojo

Maybe you should pay your staff more if you feel that they work like slaves.

Interesting that Bojo pays his staff so little they work like slaves AND have to ask for tips.

He likes decent, genuine and hard working employess, so he should be decent himself and pay them more.

Bojo could very well be an embarrassment to his own country.