Round Trip Ticket Requirement For Multiple Entry Visa

Nationality: US

I will be applying for a multiple entry tourist visa to Thailand. I plan to stay (besides visa runs) in Thailand 6-12 months.

I have been told that the round trip ticket requirement can be satisfied by just having a ticket to fly you from Thailand to a neighboring country. However, I cannot find anything to verify this. It would save me quite a bit of money since I don't plan on flying back to the US until the end of my Thai stay barring some family or personal emergency.

Can anyone help?

Also, if I can just have an exit ticket. Where should I fly to if ease of trip and price are the only considerations? I will be staying in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for your help.

There is no requirement for a return ticket if you hold a visa, such as a Tourist visa.

Airlines may want to see a return ticket if you do NOT have a visa

and intend to use the 30 days visa exemption scheme.

There is no requirement for a return ticket if you hold a visa, such as a Tourist visa.

Airlines may want to see a return ticket if you do NOT have a visa

and intend to use the 30 days visa exemption scheme.

So if I already have a visa I don't need return/onward ticket, but do I need a return to get the visa in the first place? And will a ticket out of Thailand to anywhere count if so?

This is where I'm getting it from:

Tourist Visa (Not required for a stay up to 30 days)

Submit your valid, signed, U.S. Passport

1 Visa Application Form, completed and signed

2 Passport-type photographs required

Completed Cover Page and Credit Card Authorization forms (print from browser)

Copy of round trip airline tickets or paid itinerary, or letter of confirmation from travel agent

A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

Some consulates do indeed require a ticket out of Thailand. If they do, a one way out to anywhere during the time that you would be in Thailand on the visa they are giving you will do, as opposed to return ticket to the US.

Best to communicate with the consulate and ask them directly about their requirements, if they say RT, propose the one way out and I bet you they will say OK.

There are indeed two issues, what the airlines leaving the US require to board you, and what the consulate requires to issue the visa. At the Thai entry by air end, there is almost never any issue with tickets out.

Edited by Jingthing

I was stopped a few years ago when trying to fly from New Delhi to Bangkok WITHOUT return ticket proof and without a visa. The bloke at the check-in counter refused to let us board without a return ticket. I actually DID have one, but it was through traveller2000.com (a great travel agent by the way) and was waiting at my hotel in BKK for me to pick up. Eventually I argued my way onto the plane by promising the guy that I really did have a ticket waiting for me on the other end. Not sure why he believed me though.

The next time I flew from India to Thailand I made sure to bring a print out of an itinerary email from a travel agent to use as 'proof' of an onward journey. That time they never asked it. :-) Anyways, the point is that sometime the airline folks really DO check. Though many times they do not.

I guess it's a lot like the 20,000 Baht requirement that is in place when crossing the border for a visa run... I carry so much money that I figure I'll get mugged. And yet never once has the Thai immigration asked to see the cash...

From what little I understand of this (from UK Hull consulate information pack, so not sure how applies to US):

With a valid visa you are not required to have a return ticket, but the SOME AIRLINES MAY REFUSE BOARDING on a Thai flight if you don't. Therefore the UK consulate advises you to CHECK WITH THE AIRLINE.

Hope this helps.

The rule is clear and in the IATA database that travel on a one-way ticket to Thailand is allowed if you have a visa.

As for Consulate asking for ticket to issue visa this is normally only applied to third country nationals and as a got-ya in case they feel you can not afford a return.