Looking For Books On Thai Coins

ozsamurai

I have searched SE-ED, Kinokuniya, Asia Books, B2S and have not come up with a book that catalogs Thai Coins, lots of stuff on Buddhist medallions, but none on the currency. Does anyone have, know where I can get a name, ISBN or anything, Thai or English doesn't matter? I visited the Treasury Dept. they no longer have stock of any..... I'm beginning to think it was the wrong thing to take an interest in...

Oz

I have searched SE-ED, Kinokuniya, Asia Books, B2S and have not come up with a book that catalogs Thai Coins, lots of stuff on Buddhist medallions, but none on the currency. Does anyone have, know where I can get a name, ISBN or anything, Thai or English doesn't matter? I visited the Treasury Dept. they no longer have stock of any..... I'm beginning to think it was the wrong thing to take an interest in...

Oz

Have you tried the Bank Of Thailand museum? It has notes and coins on display so maybe they have a shop as well. Their PR telephone number is 022835265.

Oz

I have found what sounds like a decent Thai coin book.

Standard Catalog of Thai Coins by Smitasin.

Look at Coincoin.com

Have a look at

http://www.eurseree.com/

who runs an auction in BKK every three months. It's mostly stamps but there are some coins and notes too, from gold down to tin!

Click on 'Auction Catalogue' on the left hand side. The latest auction was this month and the prices fetched have been added to the lot so you can see what an expensive hobby you've found yourself.

regards,

Derek

Nong Nooch tropical gardens near Pattaya has quite a collection of old Thai coins,

including the ones with the holes in the center.

I wish that they would do that again.

Ten 1 baht coins strung together would pay for a Baht bus nicely.

• 2 years later...

I Know this thread is a bit old but did Ozsamurai find the book quoted by Fishfly...

"Standard Catalogue of Thai Coins" by Smitasin, V

Published by Accurate Press Co. Ltd, BKK

2005 166Pps ISBN:9748842894

because I would like a copy also.

Thanx

Nong Nooch tropical gardens near Pattaya has quite a collection of old Thai coins,

including the ones with the holes in the center.

I wish that they would do that again.

Ten 1 baht coins strung together would pay for a Baht bus nicely.

A piece of adhesive tape would do the trick. :)

Seriously, I have seen these monthly magazines that deals with amulettes, some of them also include coins and notes. Don't know the name though.

Edited by Semper