What To Do In Hua Hin?

rogerrhino

Hi

We're introducing two friends to LOS with 2 weeks in Hua Hin. They are getting a bit stiff in the joints so are not that mobile; neither are they into bunjy jumping etc. What "must do" or "must see" things whilst in H.H. would folk with experience of the place recommend?

All legitimate activities considered! :)

Hello, there is many things to do in the Hua Hin area as most of the tuk-tuk drivers will have a plastic covered paper for many of the places to see. I have been to the palace and many of the temples, and there is a place to take a jungle rid on an elephant for about an hour with a show to see. The Thai boxing arena is open on Wednesday and Saturday nights, and there is a cinema inside the mall for a movie in the afternoon that has air conditioning. Walks on the beach or only to lay there and relax with a cool drink with a meal is a good choice, and there are canvas umbrellas to get out of the sun for rent. Talk with the tuk-tuk drivers to know more about where to go, and you should agree on a price before you go on the tuk-tuk. Cheers and have a good time.

Hello, there is many things to do in the Hua Hin area as most of the tuk-tuk drivers will have a plastic covered paper for many of the places to see. I have been to the palace and many of the temples, and there is a place to take a jungle rid on an elephant for about an hour with a show to see. The Thai boxing arena is open on Wednesday and Saturday nights, and there is a cinema inside the mall for a movie in the afternoon that has air conditioning. Walks on the beach or only to lay there and relax with a cool drink with a meal is a good choice, and there are canvas umbrellas to get out of the sun for rent. Talk with the tuk-tuk drivers to know more about where to go, and you should agree on a price before you go on the tuk-tuk. Cheers and have a good time.

Hi, it's sounding good already - particularly the cool drink and the sun. Keep 'em coming. Thanks dale8.

If you are interested in getting a bit out of town (by car preferably, ca 25 km), it's nice to pay a visit to the big Buddha (Wat Mongkhol), with nice mountainous scenery in the background. If you go further (ca 30 km), there is the Pala U waterfalls. I have seen wild monkeys lazily resting on the road once, very impressive. At the waterfall, a bit of walking is required. Just before getting there, Dusita coffee shop is a must to stop (air conditioned, surprisingly very western style). She is lovely, and very friendly, and the place has beautiful garden behind the building, full of flowers.

Another place I really like, is the lake area at Keng Kracham national park (ca 70-80 km). Easy access by car, small restaurants and hotels there, possibility to go into the reservation area by car in the morning (you pass by the Premium Outlet, so you can even indulge in some shopping on the way!). You can ask to tour the lake by boat (1 hour), and if you buy bananas, you can feed the monkey on the islands directly from the boat. Very nice.

Kao Takiab, at the end of beach, south of HH, has a temple on the hill, that overlooks the whole bay, very nice scenery as well (also lots of temple monkeys). Easy access by tuk tuk or car.

the grape plantation/winemaking place if they are into wine. elephants same place.

a boat trip (big comfy boat) to monkey island, snorkeling. call jim for tickets 0811914627, or keith 0832201074

I'm new to this game - surprise, surprise - so I'm not quite sure what to expect from my post, or is it a thread?! Also I'm not too sure how to make things work or what I'm supposed to do or not do as the case may be!! Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits with the replies so far and look forward to getting more if there are any on offer.

Our friends will be delighted to discover that there's a vinyard/winery nearby - it means they can force a few samples of the local vintage down to give them the courage to get astride an elephant! :D

Basilic13 - thanks for the tip on the Wat Mongkhol and the Pala U waterfalls - it sounds like a nice trip. How heavy is the walking? They (our mates) aren't that great on their pins. Mind you, they could set themselves up in the coffee shop while the wife and I run up to the falls :)

the grape plantation/winemaking place if they are into wine. elephants same place.

a boat trip (big comfy boat) to monkey island, snorkeling. call jim for tickets 0811914627, or keith 0832201074

I'm new to this game - surprise, surprise - so I'm not quite sure what to expect from my post, or is it a thread?! Also I'm not too sure how to make things work or what I'm supposed to do or not do as the case may be!! Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits with the replies so far and look forward to getting more if there are any on offer.

Our friends will be delighted to discover that there's a vinyard/winery nearby - it means they can force a few samples of the local vintage down to give them the courage to get astride an elephant! :D

Basilic13 - thanks for the tip on the Wat Mongkhol and the Pala U waterfalls - it sounds like a nice trip. How heavy is the walking? They (our mates) aren't that great on their pins. Mind you, they could set themselves up in the coffee shop while the wife and I run up to the falls :)

Wat Mongol is level and the statue is not far from the parking lot but I'm sure they will not want to climb the steps to the top. There is a old Teak Royal Palace that is now a tourist attraction between Hua Hin and Cha-Am that's not too difficult to navigate. Even to get to the lower Pala U falls (there are many up a slippery trail through the jungle beside a river coming down a mountainside) from the parking lot is strenuous for me and I am a fairly fit 60.

Thailand is not a very handicapped friendly or elderly friendly place as far as things to do and see if you can't walk very far, especially in the heat and humidity. You may want to think about some guided activities with a driver/guide that end with boat trips as well, like the Floating Market.

Almost every tourist activity I've ever done here is somewhat strenuous and would probably not be good for frail older folks who can't walk very far.

I really enjoyed afternoon tea in the Sofitel Gardens,beside the beach.

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post - looks like things are slowing down now but there are probably enough ideas to keep us going for 4 weeks rather than 2 - that's in between "afternoon teas in the Sofitel Gardens" of course and maybe the odd massage or two!! Any more tips?!

HEAVEN! :)