2009 Yamaha Nouvo Elegance

The Insurance is it 1st class or basic. if basic then it about 5,000b overpriced. My mate just got quoted 55,000b out the door (1 year basic insurance) Basic Insurance is about 600b a year.

Does his have mag wheels? It's about a 7K difference. I'm buying mine off Rama IV in Bangkok, where did he buy his? I assume mine is the most basic insurance possible but we haven't signed papers yet.

yes mag wheels. it was an 09 white. I would look around if i were you . Plenty of shops to choose from. He did get quoted 3thou more at the Yamaha square shop. Go to a decent independent. Have a look at the workshop if everything is clean and tidy then ok, if it looks like a shit hole walk away.

by the way why did you post this twice?

The Insurance is it 1st class or basic. if basic then it about 5,000b overpriced. My mate just got quoted 55,000b out the door (1 year basic insurance) Basic Insurance is about 600b a year.

My insurance lady said, small bikes cannot be insured. 

:) small bikes cannot be insured ? = change insurance lady and company!

Basic insurance is often worthless if accident. Go for full cover, unless you want to pay from your own pocket. Btw, I have now my 4th small bike fully insured (2,500 year).

I bought the same 135CC Yamaha Nouvo Elegance on February this year. I paid 55,000 baht cash. Home delivery, plates, registration, helmet, jacket and english manual included. Insurance extra 2000 Baht. But i don't know if it is 1st class.

The rest of the formalities did my Thai employer.

Edited by prepress

ha ha ha.. Ohh shes a diamond.. keep giving her buisness !!

Small bikes have to be insure, by law !! Of course that min legal cover is pretty useless.

yes mag wheels. it was an 09 white. I would look around if i were you . Plenty of shops to choose from. He did get quoted 3thou more at the Yamaha square shop. Go to a decent independent. Have a look at the workshop if everything is clean and tidy then ok, if it looks like a shit hole walk away.

by the way why did you post this twice?

Thanks for the info, I'll research the insurance. I was told that it is not possible to get full coverage on small bikes but in this forum some folks say it is possible.

I ended up posting twice because the Thailand Motor Forum is on the main forum page and Bikes in Thailand is not. After a search for "Yamaha Nouvo" one of the hyperlinks was to the Bike forum which is more specific and to the point. I think it ended up being moved here anyway.

I bought the same 135CC Yamaha Nouvo Elegance on February this year. I paid 55,000 baht cash. Home delivery, plates, registration, helmet, jacket and english manual included. Insurance extra 2000 Baht. But i don't know if it is 1st class.

The rest of the formalities did my Thai employer.

Where did you buy your bike? I was looking on Rama 4 and both shops were within 500 Baht.

Edited by Surfing Spleen

Where did you buy your bike? I was looking on Rama 4 and both shops were within 500 Baht.

The name of the shop is 'Yamaha square' in Ratchayotin. Call Preuk 02-930-3811-15 or 081-457-3839. He speaks English.

Helmut

I went back and they wouldn't budge from 60K baht including registration, plates, all taxes, a helmet, 2 jackets, and two year's insurance that covers:

-Injuries to passengers in both vehicles

-80% price of replacement cost if stolen or totaled in an accident

-100,000K baht loss of life or limb

Any mods? Any recommendations on where to go for modification/customization?

Edited by Surfing Spleen

I went back and they wouldn't budge from 60K baht including ....

Any mods?

Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of 'budge' and 'mods'...? :D:):D

"Will not budge" means that they are unwilling to lower the price and "mods" is an abbreviated way of saying, "modifications". Typical mods are changing the exhaust to something louder, changing the air filter to something that allows more air flow, and changing the wheels to look more custom. I've even seen bikes with DVD players and video games.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a white Elegance from Yamaha Square in North BKK on Phanon Yothin near Ratchadaphisek:

Elegance 54000

Mag wheels swapped from another bike 2500

Discount -500

Free 1000BHT accessory credit (got a helmet for guests) free.

2 year basic insurance 1400

1 year Theft insurance 1100

Total 58500

They offered a collision insurance for ~5400 but I passed since any collision will really just be for new bodywork which will be cheap to replace.

I'd imagine dealing with insurance for some new bodywork is not worth the time and hassle.

I got 2 years of the basic.

I was told the basic covers 80% of the bike's value the 1st year if totaled

I forget the second years' %, maybe it was 60% of the value.

BTW, the bike is awesome, fast off the line, comfy, and pretty maneuverable considering its size.

Parts shops.

Likit Racing on Lat Phrao 48 (expensive but has top shelf Brembo and Ohlins)

Panom Racing is the biggest parts shop in BKK supposedly in South BKK. They were cheaper than Likit.

Look them up online.

Edited by ttakata

I'll check Panom Racing, thanks for the tip. I went to Likit and the folks were friendly but they could do very little to pimp the Elegance. I was disappointed to find that other than maybe paint or handgrips they said the Elegance was too new of a model and there weren't aftermarket parts available. I'd like to get some custom chrome mags, upgrade the exhaust, add a windshield, and a larger, stickier rear tire.

The Panom Racing site is in Thai and I couldn't find it on Google Maps. Bai Mai Dai Read Thai Mai Dai.

Did you see the showbike Likit has of the Elegance?

It has the Brembo brake setup and Ohlins shocks and steering stabilizer on it.

Panom has the garish plastics, a cheap exhaust, brakes, and shocks for the Elegance available.

I've never seen a windscreen or other mag wheels for our bike yet.

You could get some crazy spoked rims though.

I see pics of Elegances with Dunlop TT900 tires on them.

I can't read or even speak Thai but I'll try to help.

It's hard to find Panom since there never seems to be a single translation for a road's name in Thailand.

On Google maps it says they're on Phreaksa http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=7098...panom&hl=en

The Panom website says they're on Praeksa.

I know having been there that they are on the North of this Phreaksa road somewhere near Thetsaban Bang Pu 36 and 40, I think West of this Google maps location.

Since they have poor to no signage I found Panom by accident just cruising around.

There's a scooter dealer just West and East of Panom, I think one had a Honda sign on it.

The Panom building itself is almost hidden.

It's only about 50 feet wide and looks like a white 3 or 4 story building.

All they have is a tiny "PN-Racing" sign up high on the building.

The store front has 3 scooters in the window and a coffee shop inside.

If you feel like riding our Elegances there, Im sure I can get us there, I'm in the Din Daeng district near Phra Ram 9 MRT.

I don't have my voicemail set up but you can call or SMS me on my cell at 086-053-7466

Cheers, Ted

Edited by ttakata

Ted,

Thanks for the info! I saw a fancy Fino but the pimped Elegance wasn't there the day I visited. I already upgraded the shocks to the Yamaha upmarket (though Ohlins is definitely QUALITY) and I'm already happy with the stock disc brakes so I'm considering other mods. Aside from what I already mentioned I'd like to figure a way to hook up my GPS.

I'm on the other side of town but I'll give you a ring this weekend and see if you're busy.

Spleen

Ted,

Thanks for the info! I saw a fancy Fino but the pimped Elegance wasn't there the day I visited. I already upgraded the shocks to the Yamaha upmarket (though Ohlins is definitely QUALITY) and I'm already happy with the stock disc brakes so I'm considering other mods. Aside from what I already mentioned I'd like to figure a way to hook up my GPS.

I'm on the other side of town but I'll give you a ring this weekend and see if you're busy.

Spleen

Hey Spleen, I just spoke with "prepress" Helmut from here and he has our bike with a GPS on it.

It's a RAM Mount system.

Read his thread it goes over all of it.

I used to have a GPS on my bikes in the US, I might get one for my bike later too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Mounting-Gps...;hl=gps+scooter

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the standard Elegance price was 55,000 baht for spoked wheels and 57,000 baht for mags. This was confirmed by a visit to a main Yamaha dealer. Having just visited a smaller Yamaha place (more of a shop than a showroom), the Elegance has a price sticker on it quoting 53,500 baht for the spoked wheeled version and 55,500 baht for alloy wheels.

I'm confused. I thought if anything the main dealership would be cheaper? :)

I thought the standard Elegance price was 55,000 baht for spoked wheels and 57,000 baht for mags. This was confirmed by a visit to a main Yamaha dealer. Having just visited a smaller Yamaha place (more of a shop than a showroom), the Elegance has a price sticker on it quoting 53,500 baht for the spoked wheeled version and 55,500 baht for alloy wheels.

I'm confused. I thought if anything the main dealership would be cheaper? :)

Got mine for 52000 baht and it was not at the "main dealer". One has to add on the insurance and registration to this however. This at the same dealership I bought two previous Yamahas at. What's the main dealer? The largest? I thought all dealerships were created equal except some are larger than others.

You're probably right on the dealership thing Jack. I'm writing from a position of ignorance way down the learning curve. It just looked to me like the larger Yamaha one I've seen was a more of an all-singing all-dancing dealer/garage/showroom/sales outlet. The smaller ones I've visited seem to be little more than shops with a few vehicles, the odd glossy sales brochure and a token mechanic. The latter makes me slightly wary although a new bike is just that and shouldn't have any problems (famous last words). I also thought I could cut a better deal at a larger dealer but given my post above, this may not be the case at all.

You're probably right on the dealership thing Jack. I'm writing from a position of ignorance way down the learning curve. It just looked to me like the larger Yamaha one I've seen was a more of an all-singing all-dancing dealer/garage/showroom/sales outlet. The smaller ones I've visited seem to be little more than shops with a few vehicles, the odd glossy sales brochure and a token mechanic. The latter makes me slightly wary although a new bike is just that and shouldn't have any problems (famous last words). I also thought I could cut a better deal at a larger dealer but given my post above, this may not be the case at all.

The shop I bought all three bikes at is on Central Pattaya Road just before you get to Sukamvit. It's on the left side, where there is a short roadway that veers to the left before you actually hit the intersection. Name of the place is Watchara Marine. Mittoyan (I've misspelled it) down on Third Road is much larger but the price quoted there was about 1000 baht higher.

The shop I bought all three bikes at is on Central Pattaya Road just before you get to Sukamvit. It's on the left side, where there is a short roadway that veers to the left before you actually hit the intersection. Name of the place is Watchara Marine. Mittoyan (I've misspelled it) down on Third Road is much larger but the price quoted there was about 1000 baht higher.

Thanks again Jack but I'm not in Pattaya. Looking to buy my Elegance this week. Of my local Yamaha dealers, (from their minimal stock), I have the choice of the original black/silver (red springs) spoked wheel version for 55,000 baht - 56,000 all up out the door but not sure what that includes. Or at another shop, the new white colour with spokes for 53,500 baht - mag wheels would be 55,500 baht but would likely have to be ordered. No idea what other costs this one is charging but I need get a letter from immigration (500 baht), which I don't with the other dealer. Will firm up on the costs with week.

Or I choose a different Elegance altogether and wait for delivery. Will also ask how long that would take. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again Jack but I'm not in Pattaya. Looking to buy my Elegance this week. Of my local Yamaha dealers, (from their minimal stock), I have the choice of the original black/silver (red springs) spoked wheel version for 55,000 baht - 56,000 all up out the door but not sure what that includes. Or at another shop, the new white colour with spokes for 53,500 baht - mag wheels would be 55,500 baht but would likely have to be ordered. No idea what other costs this one is charging but I need get a letter from immigration (500 baht), which I don't with the other dealer. Will firm up on the costs with week.

Or I choose a different Elegance altogether and wait for delivery. Will also ask how long that would take. Decisions, decisions.

Or wait a month or two and get the new, much better, Honda PCX? Just a thought!

I bought my Nouvo Elegance less than two weeks ago, from Yamaha Square on Phayalyothin, spoked wheels 53k baht.

Plus insurance & registration & delivery to my local Post Office, 3400 baht.

Very pleased with Samart & Preuk there.

Or wait a month or two and get the new, much better, Honda PCX? Just a thought!

This did cross my mind. I posted on another thread to ask if anyone had any more info on the PCX125i but nothing was forthcoming. I've only seen 1 review of the bike (and it was a glowing review) but can't find anything else. And although it sounds great I'd be wary of being one of the first to buy - I've read no end of good reports on the Nouvo Elegance 135cc over the year or more it's been around so am comfortable I'm making an informed decision about a machine that's well tried and tested.

Also, I'm currently renting a bike and would rather stop forking out for that ASAP.