Crackdown On Back-to-back Tourist Visa Applications

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I know tourism does not have a time limit on it.

If you settle down somewhere, you are not a tourist anymore.

"A tourists is someone who travels out of their usual environment for less than one year. they travel for liesure, recreation, or business purposes."

I"m not settled anywhere I"m moving around spending lots of money here on everything but bargirls. and planned to do so for a year.. what am I?

Gee, twelve pages in this thread already and I have yet to see this question asked:

The government statement says that anyone applying for back-to-back Tourist visas will be interviewed. Is it possible that you could prove that you are fully capable of supporting yourself, that you have been bringing in sufficient amounts of outside cash to live on, and thus be granted another Tourist visa?

If that is the case, that this is really about illegal employment, then there should be no cause for complaint.

In this thread I learned that if you have an outside source of income (financial markets, real estate, etc.), and you want to spend your money in Thailand while you're under 50 years old and not married to a Thai citizen you're a low-life anti-social scumbag who contributes nothing to the country, even tho you pay the VAT on every item you purchase.

Thanks folks. You learn something new everyday.

The End Is Nigh for the visa runners, illegals and the dross.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you are immune to Thai Immigration crackdowns in the future, because you certainly are not.

Indeed, but we can also hope that after the illegals are shipped off they might start to think about how to improve it for the legals... I would like the PR-situation looked over for married people, or even the 90-reentry or even 90-reporting completely removed.

One can dream...

What's illegal about seeking employment? I thought only working with a tourist visa is illegal?

And I also thought that also a tourist 60 day visa can be applied for 3 times within a year only. No?

That means that you can never travel to Thailand to seek work unless you have been invited to do so, and have a letter that approves your non-B.

So a job in Thailand can only be found online or by connections with people that live in Thailand. Is that what it means ?

Then people have to provide you a non-b letter before your interview. And that is impossible! In some immigration offices they don't just ask you a letter, but all the information of the company. How will you ever get this when they haven't even hired you??

Yes I am aware of the huge amount of illegal workers in Thailand, people that will never get a pension, or maybe even drink so much that they cannot practically be alive at the time they cannot work anymore (and normally would receive a pension). What are they all doing here then....

All I can say is that Freedom does not exists in the world, and Thailand is a great country to learn this.

Thai Nationalism will make sure that you will always be and feel like an outsider, Thailand should favor you being here and the other way round, who cares!

What you favor about thailand is probably not the thing that Thailand is proud off, so everyone who will contribute to Thailand's bad reputation should go in the first place. Or you could do that job that illegal workers normally do, like the Burmese. Thai just want to make clear that Foreigners don't own this country, even if some think they do. Everything seems so easy, as if they can play gods. While this behavior is not possible anywhere in the world, why would anyone expect it from Thailand. Maybe they're not so fast, but they learn by mistake, that's all.

Please do not place all 'Farangs' in the same basket... Not everyone thinks that Thailand should favour us for being here. I love Thailand and the people, and appreciate being able to live and work (legally) in such a beautiful country, with such a wonderful culture and hsitory, and I have many friend who also think and feel this way. One thing that is the same for all countires all over the world... we all need tourists... they are what provides money for the country, I do agree that there should be laws around working illegally anywhere, not just in Thailand.

This isn't limited to Thailand. The world is in crisis and will continue to be for years to come. All this talk of green shoots is rubbish and will be proved to be next year after certain European elections have concluded. The Japanese already know it, the Thais are learning it and barriers will continue to be erected throughout the world until Economies genuinly start to improve - thats when the doors will spring back open. Does anyone really think this announcement doesn't driven by the current woes ?

As far as I know tourism does not have a time limit on it.

If you settle down somewhere, you are not a tourist anymore.

"A tourists is someone who travels out of their usual environment for less than one year. they travel for liesure, recreation, or business purposes."

I"m not settled anywhere I"m moving around spending lots of money here on everything but bargirls. and planned to do so for a year.. what am I?

a bum ?

Gee, twelve pages in this thread already and I have yet to see this question asked:

The government statement says that anyone applying for back-to-back Tourist visas will be interviewed. Is it possible that you could prove that you are fully capable of supporting yourself, that you have been bringing in sufficient amounts of outside cash to live on, and thus be granted another Tourist visa?

If that is the case, that this is really about illegal employment, then there should be no cause for complaint.

Maybe.. but if this is actually about illegal employment it would seem easier to crackdown on illegal workers rather than annoying, inconveniencing, and denying legit tourists,

My income is from a rental property.. ie i get it every month. therefor i don't have funds for 6months or a year in my account to show.. because i get paid monthly while travelling.. so how do i go about proving I have income for a second tourist visa. Again if they are worried about illegal workers GO AFTER ILLEGAL WORKERS. Are the english schools really that hard to find?

Indeed, and chances are the officers will recognize a true rich philanthropist versus an illegal tax-dodging worker...clothing usually gives you away right away for instance. Anyone that has ever been on a visa-run can probably attest to that.

finally ! was about time. i guess in your "civilized" country you welcome illegal workers with open arms...

Yes, who would do the "dirty" work.

Not the brats in northern Europe, better to go on welfare.

yep ,

many illegal immigrant workers in UK ,

and the genuine brit guys are put on re-training courses ,

WHATS A JOB ???????????

In my humble opinion this has nothing at all to do with 'illegal workers'. After all, as has already been stated, why on earth would someone come here to actually 'work', miserable rates of pay etc, and everything to do with ongoing attempts (note various clampdowns on skimpily clad karaoke girls etc) to rid the country of it's reputation as the world's number one sexpot hotspot.

Yet another hammer to crack a nut a la 'clamp down' on nominees by junta after the horse (Taksin) had bolted.

about time , foreigners can get the proper visa , ie non immigrant , business , retirement etc , so long to those sleazy visa runs and the sleazes that use them

No they can't. I tried to get an non immigrant visa in Vancouver Can. I asked specifically for it and told them that i wished to stay in the country for a year studying muaythai, massage, travelling around and a couple of side trips to neighbouring countrys..

They specifically told me to just get a triple entry TVisa. Then when it ran out go to a neighbouring country and get another. Actually I was told the same dam_n thing in Chiang Mai not a month ago. 'no problem, you got to other country get new visa... free now!'

Now midway through my trip they change the rules and I may not get that second TV because apparently i'm a sleaze, a bum etc.. which is a laugh considering most of the hollier than thou non bums on this board couldn't buy an apartment in the city where I own property.. whatever inslults make you feel better though.

Edited by prana16

Can anyone advise, what is the correct way for a young, unmarried financially secure person - who doesnt work, to stay in Thailand for extended periods legally?
Hi,

Get a Visa "non-Imm O" for reason of "visiting friend"

You can get it in some friendly consulate (Hull in UK, Perth in Australia, ...)

You can stay up to 15 month with each visa by making 90 days visa-runs.

so how does one stay if he cant qualify for some visa's, like 200,000 baht or whatever it may take? i am moving to the philippines but rather live in Thailand. i dont want to travel every 30 days.

have you been to the philippines? the girls are lovely and all speak english,but after that its all down hill,the foods terrible,and thers no european food available in the shops,thers nothing to do,unless you like deserted beaches or shopping malls?

about time , foreigners can get the proper visa , ie non immigrant , business , retirement etc , so long to those sleazy visa runs and the sleazes that use them

No they can't. I tried to get an non immigrant visa in Vancouver Can. I asked specifically for it and told them that i wished to stay in the country for a year studying muaythai, massage, travelling around and a couple of side trips to neighbouring countrys..

They specifically told me to just get a triple entry TVisa. Then when it ran out go to a neighbouring country and get another.

Now midway through my trip they change the rules and I may not get that second TV because apparently i'm a sleaze, a bum etc.. which is a laugh considering most of the hollier than thou non bums on this board couldn't buy an apartment in the city where I own property.. whatever inslults make you feel better though.

simple , fly down to singapore for the weekend do some shopping , have a nice meal , then fly back , whammo another 30 days how easy

Of course it can be longer than 6 months, but most likely it is not. So if you had one double-entry tourist VISA, then get another one, then another one... Are you really a tourist anymore? Would you say that to your friends you hang out with? I think not.

Generally speaking, I think the Thai Government is money hungry, and they know that more people getting legal, setting up businesses etc is going to generate more taxes. I experience this often, as getting tax refunds from the Thai Government is more difficult than robbing a bank biggrin.gif

Well according to a recent news report, it's very easy to rob a bank in Thailand. It's just that the idiot who did it didn't have the sense to get as far away as quickly as possible :)

Strictly speaking, if staying on a permanent basis, maybe not a tourist, but remember every trip into Thailand is a maximum of 3 months after which you leave and come back for another "tour"

As citizenship or residency is nearly impossible, we can only ever be visitors.

I just hate the generalisations that come out every time with these threads that people on 30 day entries or continuous tourist visas are some sort of lowlife scum to be looked down on by some posters on their high horses.

Everybody's situation is different. I was on a 1 year extension of non imm o and decided that I didn't want to move cash into Thailand because of the low exchange rate. At the time I expected to be going back to the UK for a visit and would get a new 1 year multi entry. Meanwhile I went to Laos and got a double entry tourist visa. All legal, allowed and encouraged by immigration.

Sometimes, plans change and I was able to adjust my plans and will now be visiting the UK in the spring. I was able to make these adjustments to my plans because I knew that I had the option to go to Laos and get another perfectly legal double entry visa. It was my intention to go to Laos at the end of this month.

Now they drop this bombshell. They announce a crackdown on back to back tourist visas, implemented with immediate effect. This is the problem, something that is available and true today may be unavailable and illegal tomorrow! I don't know if Laos will be restricting Visas or not, will just have to wait and see.

All the smug people with their year extensions, work permits or whatever that keep preaching "Get the proper visa" should realise that their status is only secure as long as the immigration department allow it. Rules that affect your security can be changed on a whim.

Foreigners have no rights and whatever little bone is thrown their way can easily be taken back tomorrow.

Its about time some people realised that some Thai people in authority hate the fact that most foreigners that come here are richer than them. They have to maintain some sort of superiority and enjoy making foreigners jump through hoops.

I love my life here, I love my adopted family. I despise the people that have the power to change my future just on a whim.

Can anyone advise, what is the correct way for a young, unmarried financially secure person - who doesnt work, to stay in Thailand for extended periods legally?
Hi,

Get a Visa "non-Imm O" for reason of "visiting friend"

You can get it in some friendly consulate (Hull in UK, Perth in Australia, ...)

You can stay up to 15 month with each visa by making 90 days visa-runs.

See.. but that requires some to lie. Is that what the gov. wants? I'm not here to visit a friend. I'm a tourist touring the country, there really is no other definition for it. Therefor no non-imm. visa only tourist visa applies but apparently the gov. doesn't want my money. Just money from the 50+ expats banging ( i mean marrying) bargirls on their laughable pensions that would have them in social housing back home.

so how does one stay if he cant qualify for some visa's, like 200,000 baht or whatever it may take? i am moving to the philippines but rather live in Thailand. i dont want to travel every 30 days.

I wanted to thank you very much for going to the Philippines soon. I don't know where the hel_l you're from, but don't you get the message? Is there another country in Europe where you can stay without any Immigration? Or look at America, if they don't like your crippled nose, you won't come in. Have fun at the P.I.s man.

Strikes me if the authorities want to stop people working without the proper permits then they should concentrate on that rather than keep on and on with changing the visa regulations or enforcement rules every five minutes - it hardly creates a very friendly impression. It is also a false comparison of Thailand with Europe & the USA. Those western countries provide benefits to people staying there, provide a means to obtain residency and many other benefits provided to the nationals of those countries without discrimination and in some case positive discrimination in their favour. If a country is providing welfare benefits then it follows that some more stringent rules regarding who is allowed 'in' have to be made. Thailand on the other hand benefits hugely from the westerners who stay here and provides nothing in return except for the benefits blessed on this country by mother nature so it is in a wholly different position. There are plenty of people who derive their income from outside Thailand thus giving them funds to stay here. Personally I think that most of the westerners in this country spend multiples of what the average Thai spends and thus must be a greater benefit to the local economies. Thailand concentrating on high end customers will benefit mainly the people who stay in up market hotels and dine in upmarket restaurants neither of which are predominantly owned by normal Thais, rather by westerners with HiSo thai partnerships. I propose therefore that the Thai authorities are barking up the wrong tree with their ideology and should welcome most anyone who has money to spend and is not otherwise an undesirable for the many reasons that are pretty obvious (sex offenders, criminals, mafia types and the like). That policy would promote a much more westerner friendly impression and I am sure be a boost to the economy especially the local economies. If they are worried about westerners taking jobs without permits then why not provide more 'inspectors' to check work permits of those obviously working.

Are there a lot of jobs that are being taken by illegal frangs, that Thai nationals would get if they were not here? I am not sure what the problem is. Or is this like the USA .. . keep the Mexicans out because they are stealing our jobs... jobs we wouldn't do even if they were available.

Really?

The jobs given to "illegals" are jobs no "original" would do for the money paid for that job.

The money you earn for a full time job should be enough to live on.

If it is less, why do that job.

The crackdown, legal or not, is indeed another nail in the coffin.

Negative messages are not needed, positive messages are needed urgently.

most people don't complain about the migrant workers that com in to pick fruit or beans or such which are jobs that many Americans won't so. My family and i did take jobs picking beans at one point in time when there was no other work to be had. We got paid by the pound so we did not complain about the illegal workers since anyone could get a job doing the same and getting paid the same. What we would complain about is when I learned to weld I got paid $25 an doing a job that an illegal would be willing to do for $5 and hour. That is one of the reasons why we had so many welders from the southern states coming to the northern states to work. The lower wage the illegal mexicans accepted in the southern states drove the wages down too low. i seriously doubt the same could be said about the illegal falang that are working in thailand. Can anyone give an example where a falang is working for less than a thai doing the same job ?

I have just got back from Lao after recieving my third tourist visa on the trot.

I have just read the first few pages and am feeling rather lucky.

For those idiots that keep spouting rubbish about its about time etc then I have to totally disgree with you.

I came originally for 3 months, however as many of you on here will have also done, I met a Thai lady.

I have plenty of savings and don't want to work in Thailand so a tourist visa is the only way for me to stay.

The money I am spending is going straight into the Thai economy and I wonder how many others are in a similar position as me?

Anyway I don't care I have got another 6 months and will be returning home for a short time before returning with a more suitable visa. :)

anyway , thailand is dump now , after all the red shirst vs yellow shirts , the shut down of the airport , the crap exhange rate , Bali is so more upmarket for an expat , lovely upmarket shops and coffe houses in seminyak , virtually no sleaze , and so beautiful on the eye is the countryside, on the whole so more sophisticated and less commercial than thailand

I wanted to thank you very much for going to the Philippines soon. I don't know where the hel_l you're from, but don't you get the message? Is there another country in Europe where you can stay without any Immigration? Or look at America, if they don't like your crippled nose, you won't come in. Have fun at the P.I.s man.

Strikes me if the authorities want to stop people working without the proper permits then they should concentrate on that rather than keep on and on with changing the visa regulations or enforcement rules every five minutes - it hardly creates a very friendly impression. It is also a false comparison of Thailand with Europe & the USA. Those western countries provide benefits to people staying there, provide a means to obtain residency and many other benefits provided to the nationals of those countries without discrimination and in some case positive discrimination in their favour. If a country is providing welfare benefits then it follows that some more stringent rules regarding who is allowed 'in' have to be made. Thailand on the other hand benefits hugely from the westerners who stay here and provides nothing in return except for the benefits blessed on this country by mother nature so it is in a wholly different position. There are plenty of people who derive their income from outside Thailand thus giving them funds to stay here. Personally I think that most of the westerners in this country spend multiples of what the average Thai spends and thus must be a greater benefit to the local economies. Thailand concentrating on high end customers will benefit mainly the people who stay in up market hotels and dine in upmarket restaurants neither of which are predominantly owned by normal Thais, rather by westerners with HiSo thai partnerships. I propose therefore that the Thai authorities are barking up the wrong tree with their ideology and should welcome most anyone who has money to spend and is not otherwise an undesirable for the many reasons that are pretty obvious (sex offenders, criminals, mafia types and the like). That policy would promote a much more westerner friendly impression and I am sure be a boost to the economy especially the local economies. If they are worried about westerners taking jobs without permits then why not provide more 'inspectors' to check work permits of those obviously working.

High class tourists dont come to Thailand! Why would they? Its unsafe, dirty and highly corrupt. I wouldnt come here if I was rich.. no way, Id live in Singapore or Hong Kong. People who come here are working and middle class Farangs... normal people. Some are good, some are bad, jst like rich and poor people everywhere. Even honeymooners come here because it is cheap. Go on a honeymoon in Ko Samui, $2000 a night and come outside your hotel to a street which is filthy, stinking sewers, criminals and bent police all over the place. Highest gun crime in the world. There is no infrastructure. People are even scared to go to the airport now. Its <deleted>?*ked!

Thailand is a third world country and they are basically just jealous of us unfortunately. They copy our knowledge, customs, fashions, dress, technology. We are even protecting them militarily. Yet they strive to maintain a heir of superiority over us. The only way they can do this is by making life difficult for us.

In this thread I learned that if you have an outside source of income (financial markets, real estate, etc.), and you want to spend your money in Thailand while you're under 50 years old and not married to a Thai citizen you're a low-life anti-social scumbag who contributes nothing to the country, even tho you pay the VAT on every item you purchase.

Excactly. Lots of people in here dont know who they are refering to.

I, for one, have not ever worked here, retired very young, and do absolutely not consider myself a bum, lowlife or whatever.

Hardly never drink and never cause any problems in Thailand.

My problem is that I dont meet the aquirements to stay for a year at the time.

I am not married, nor do I want to be, my income is from renting out 2 houses, arriving every month.

Until now I have stayed for 9 months at the time here, travelling back and forth, going back to my european country (Norway), and coming to Thailand with a new tourist visa every 9 months.

That is, I have done the trip to Penang twice before leaving Thailand for a month or so to my country.

Btw, I am never given more than 60 days from my country.

My question is:

Can I obtain a tourist visa by visaruns to neighbouring countries ONCE, or maybe twice, after this "crackdown"?

Are the tourist visaruns over for good? Can I do the same next time after a short stay in my country, once or twice maybe?

An interview must be a joke, anyone can say they wont be working, there is no way to find out the truth.

I know about KL, but still I have never thougt I would qualify for a longer visa with no substancial amount of money at my account here in Thailand.

Anyone, is tourist visa still available by these terms?

Spot on.

It's not only the Thai immigration that suffer from a superiority complex! :)

Excactly. Lots of people in here dont know who they are refering to.

I, for one, have not ever worked here, retired very young, and do absolutely not consider myself a bum, lowlife or whatever.

Hardly never drink and never cause any problems in Thailand.

My problem is that I dont meet the aquirements to stay for a year at the time.

I am not married, nor do I want to be, my income is from renting out 2 houses, arriving every month.

Until now I have stayed for 9 months at the time here, travelling back and forth, going back to my european country (Norway), and coming to Thailand with a new tourist visa every 9 months.

That is, I have done the trip to Penang twice before leaving Thailand for a month or so to my country.

Btw, I am never given more than 60 days from my country.

My question is:

Can I obtain a tourist visa by visaruns to neighbouring countries ONCE, or maybe twice, after this "crackdown"?

Are the tourist visaruns over for good? Can I do the same next time after a short stay in my country, once or twice maybe?

An interview must be a joke, anyone can say they wont be working, there is no way to find out the truth.

I know about KL, but still I have never thougt I would qualify for a longer visa with no substancial amount of money at my account here in Thailand.

Anyone, is tourist visa still available by these terms?

What you can do is leave asia, go to a consulate and apply for a business visa. Say you are looking to make a business in Thailand or something like that.

They give you 12 month B visa usually.

Its not really honest though necessarily but not possible to disprove

You could also claim to be visiting family and friends and get a year visa. Basically youve either got to leave Asia every 15 months, or you might be lucky and persuade immigration in Vientianne or wherever that you are not working, maybe by showing overseas income statements. I guess we will see how this pans out.

I saw it coming, I imagine this is not really a surprise to most people

Edited by CrossBones

Personally I fail to see the problem. If someone is a genuine tourist they ahve nothing to fear. On the other hand if they are working on tourist visas tnen they only have themselves to blame.

Try pulling the same stunt in the EU, the US or Australia. Anyone caught doing that would be tossed out immediately and possibly be banned from the country for ever. It seems to me that despite all the crackdowns Thailand is still very generous at this stage and lots of people are abusing the system.

Incidentally an Australian I work with recently went to Canada on a tourist visa and she was interrogated for three whole hours. She thinks it may because she was born in Armenia. Who knows but it seems Thailand won't be the only country to interrogate some tourists.

Thats for sure, if they are'nt in possession of a current visa here in Aust, we lock them up, bill them for the Bed & Breakfast and anything else then deport them....................So, whats wrong with Thailand doing the same with the slobs who seem to expect the honest rest of us to feel sorry for them.............Kick em out !

I have read many people who don't seem to believe that there are that many "English Teachers" working illegally in Thaland. I have been fully qualified and legally working for 3 years, in a school with a startup English Program. Out of 7 full time teachers in the program only 2 have work permits. Of the 5 teachers without a work permit, 2 of those do have long stay visa's, but cannot meet the requirements to get a work permit. At the school, we are co-located with a standard MOE school and the shady company that I work for has another 3 illegal workers working on tourist visas, teaching the 1-2 hours per class per week that the P1-P6 classes get. So in my little corner of the rice paddy, it seems like there are a lot of illegally workers here.

My main concern is for the disruption of the education of the students that is caused by these people who decide to take a walk, sometimes in the middele of the day and never return. They constantly are missing due to visa runs, so the students miss out on that days teaching. Many of them have drug and alcohol problems that cause missed days work and further disruptions in the education process. These people will work for peanuts to stay in Thailand, so the language school will hire them regardles of qualifications or ability to have a body in the classroom most of the time, sometimes promising to get them legal after they have proven themselves. Most of these don't last long enough. The compay keeps reassuring the EP and MOE school that they will fix the problems, and the to avoid losing face on either side they both take no action.

This is an ongoing problem with many school programs and the abilty to use these illegals, allow the language schools to keep salaries low to maximize profit despite the poor performance, and constantly remind the legal workers that they can be replaced. I guess I'm just a bar run (by my employer) of being ousted and replaced. This is where the problem lies. Immigration and Labor ministry need to be proactive and have regular unschedule visits to the schools to verify documentation, on the spot. Arrest and deporth the illegals and fine or close the language schools that employ them. That would force the language schools to abide by the law

I have tried to get this problem corrected in my little mud hole, but TIT, and have had no luck. I am leaving at the end of my contract (hope I can hold on until them) and will leave the teaching for a while, even though I get great pleasure from it despite the low pay and poor support. I am teaching because I want to, not because I have to. I will miss it and maybe return to it later, with hopefully a more honest school. I am relocating to Korat to relax and travel with my Thai wife, my pension and my sanity.