Crackdown On Back-to-back Tourist Visa Applications

Crackdown on back-to-back Tourist visa applications

Extended screening of visa applicants

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- In a crackdown on the 60-days tourist visas, several Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates has announced increased screening of tourist visa applicants. We also have several reports on the Thaivisa Forum that this practice already has been enforced by some Embassies and Consulates.

The joint announcement reads: "As there has been a number of visa applicants having entered Thailand via tourist visa and misused it to illegally seek employment during their stay and, upon its expiry, sought to re-apply their tourist visas at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries, requests for visa renewal by such applicants are subject to rejection as their applications are not based on tourism motive, but to continue their illegal employment, which is unlawful.

This is in accordance with the Immigration Act, B.B. 2552 which stipulates that visa applicants are required to clearly express their real purpose of visiting Thailand. Should the case be found that the applicant’s real intention were concealed, the application will be rejected.

Please be informed that the intention of applicants to repeatedly depart and re-enter Thailand via tourist visa issued by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries in recent years upon its expiry, is considered as concealment of real purpose of visiting Thailand. Thus their visas applications will be rejected."

Foreigners living in Thailand are advised to obtain a Non-Immigrant visa, which can be extended up to one year by the Thai Immigration Bureau.

Thaivisa.com has today confirmed with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, that the extended applicant screening will take effect immediately.

-- thaivisa.com 2009-09-11

Attached is an example of a Royal Thai Embassy Joint Announcement, courtesy of the embassy in Helsinki.

I am not surprised.

The last time I got one from Penang, I was told that the limit was three.

That was back in 2007.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- In a crackdown on the 60-days tourist visas, several Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates has announced increased screening of tourist visa applicants. We also have several reports on the Thaivisa Forum that this practice already has been enforced by some Embassies and Consulates.

The joint announcement reads: "As there has been a number of visa applicants having entered Thailand via tourist visa and misused it to illegally seek employment during their stay and, upon its expiry, sought to re-apply their tourist visas at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries, requests for visa renewal by such applicants are subject to rejection as their applications are not based on tourism motive, but to continue their illegal employment, which is unlawful.

This is in accordance with the Immigration Act, B.B. 2552 which stipulates that visa applicants are required to clearly express their real purpose of visiting Thailand. Should the case be found that the applicant's real intention were concealed, the application will be rejected.

Please be informed that the intention of applicants to repeatedly depart and re-enter Thailand via tourist visa issued by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries in recent years upon its expiry, is considered as concealment of real purpose of visiting Thailand. Thus their visas applications will be rejected."

Foreigners living in Thailand are advised to obtain a Non-Immigrant visa, which can be extended up to one year by the Thai Immigration Bureau.

Thaivisa.com has today confirmed with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, that the extended applicant screening will take effect immediately.

-- thaivisa.com 2009-09-11

Attached is an example of a Royal Thai Embassy Joint Announcement, courtesy of the embassy in Helsinki.

I was in the Thai Embassy in Brussels (Belgium) on 09/09/09, that very day, for my retirementvisa. So I got the good news that day.

Until now with the letter mentionning the amount of my pension, I could get a Non-immigrant O with multiple entry for one year that I choose above a retirementvisa for one year as I like to travel some times and don't like to go to immigration to get the authorisation for reentry each time.

But, the rules changed and now I have to fullfill all the requirements for retirementvisa: multiple certificates, papers, money, and so on. The lady at the desk calculated my income (pension) and used an exchange rate of 45 bahts for one euro and told me then that I also needed to prove that I had 800 000 Bahts in a bankaccount as I was short about 3000 Bahts a month.

As I am leaving on 20 septembre, I had exactly 6 days to get all the papers......She proposed to give me a double-entry tourist visa valid for 6 months instead. I took it.....really too scared that I could not gather all the papers before next thursday.

But now, I am worried that they are not going to let me come in one or two more times next year after this visa is finished, because I will have more than 180 days.......Or am I wrong?

I visit Thailand since 32 years , 1 month a year, until my early retirement, eleven years ago. Since then I built a house there and live in Thailand 9 or 10 months a year. Never worked or had a business! Only spent money!!!!!

And it is only since last year that I could finally get a retirement visa because early retirement was not accepted by the embassy. I have always done the things legally and gave them all the papers they asked, and you all know that is is not always simple or clear......I thought I was out of the problems now and that it would be easier from now on.......What a mistake! I feel really rejected by a country that I love. And as many here I am not far from thinking about selling my house (I have a lease for 28 more years.....).

And one more thing : as I live there since eleven year, I know very well that my pension is more than enough to live very easily in Thailand (I am a woman and don't need to pay for a lady or to take care for a family.....). I also give a job to a few people as I have a maid, a gardener and sombebody that cares for the swimmingpool and the jacuzzi, and I don't need to explain that as a woman alone I also give a lot of money to electricians, plumbers, and so on!

I feel very depressed about all this!

Can somebody confirm if I can stay more than 180 days a year with only tourists visas? Thank you!

I REEAAAALLYY feel like making a remark, but I wont. :D

I know, I know :)

You forgot all the foreigners who are less than 50, not married with Thai and don't work, just spend time and money here.

People like that are not catered for, except the double Tourist visa, good for 6 months

and in reality there will only be a handful in this category.

There is a slot here in immigration policy for long stay tourists, who do not meet marriage or retirement requirements.

Where I live I have to maintain $60,000 in the local bank to get my one year residence permit.

Mind you the bank pays 5% on US$ and 8% on local currency, and that pays my rent here. :D

I have to sign an affidavit that I will not work. No problem there.

Say what? Can you get a residence permit just by keeping $60,000 in a Thai bank? More info please.

Hey SORENSEN..............i should have mentioned it before, but whilst at the Brisbane Consulate i said that i was going to do a Thai language course at the "Mind your language" school on Koh Samui the lady said ok ok if you have letter from school confirming your booking, i can give you 12 month visa. I did not have the letter with me so she gave me something else. It might be worthwhile persuing this route. Anyhow, good luck and Samui aint a bad place to be . :)

does this non immigrant visa allow for someone to just stay on holiday if they have their own cash?

thanks,

It does if you qualify for it.

At the moment the nearest place to Thailand that will issue for the reason of Visiting Friends is Perth Australia.

This would allow up to 15 months stay with border runs needed every 90 days.

I have just recieved something similar at the Brisbane Consulate...........4x90 day visa border runs, this virtually gives me 15 mths. I did not have to have money in Thai bank, just had to show my current bank statements.

The cost was $A210 plus $A15 for photos. She just about talked me into it, also telling me that i could enter Thailand on a one way ticket.

Brisbane has got a good reputation for being helpful, there was one guy there who had driven 600klm from NSW because he knew that he could not get what he wanted in Sydney, he was there 20 mins for his visa and on the way back home, with a smile like the cat with the cream ! :)

Can you tell me what class of visa this is and what paperwork was required over and above you bank statement ( Aussie I assume)?

Thanks

David

In my humble opinion this has nothing at all to do with 'illegal workers'. After all, as has already been stated, why on earth would someone come here to actually 'work', miserable rates of pay etc, and everything to do with ongoing attempts (note various clampdowns on skimpily clad karaoke girls etc) to rid the country of it's reputation as the world's number one sexpot hotspot.

No, this has everything to do with the illegal workers.

1) Don't think that this is against farangs only.

2) Don't fool yourself, there is a lot of people barely scraping by here on low-payed jobs or small savings, doing anything they can to 'remain in paradise'.

No suprise that this thread has quickly became an outlet for the holyier than thou,smug crowd :)

The ones that are forever ready to cast off and banish from the shores of LOS everyone they think is "under" them..presumably for not having a Thai bg wife or being a rich tw&t sitting in a condo drinking Chang.

Regardless of anyones visa status I think its an absolutley crazy notion to put the word "crackdown" anywhere near the word "tourism" at this time.

Many tourists dont understand or care about the ins and outs of Thai visa laws but will see this PR and think "another good reason not to come to Thailand" regardless of whether it will affect them or not.

I scratch my head at all the media hype of late about attracting tourists and the effort to fix the airport..ect and NOW THIS!!!

This will negate any of the small gains in confidence that may have been made in the minds of tourists now that no-one can really trust Thailand to change the rules on them at any stage.

Any fair/sane minded country will add a grace period about stuff like this instead of an immediate slamming of the door..BUT..As always TiT!!!

As for the illegal work issue..its a BS excuse,why not address the work issue at the sources where it needs to be addressed??

After all i can just as easily get a NON O visa and come over and work illegally AND it would actually be easier to do so instead of doing the back to back tourist thing.

Is not a NON IMM O still basically a tourist at the end of the day??

Why attack a group with the tag "tourist" attached...CRAZY

((cut)).[/i]

I was in the Thai Embassy in Brussels (Belgium) on 09/09/09, that very day, for my retirementvisa. So I got the good news that day.

Until now with the letter mentionning the amount of my pension, I could get a Non-immigrant O with multiple entry for one year that I choose above a retirementvisa for one year as I like to travel some times and don't like to go to immigration to get the authorisation for reentry each time.

But, the rules changed and now I have to fullfill all the requirements for retirementvisa: multiple certificates, papers, money, and so on. The lady at the desk calculated my income (pension) and used an exchange rate of 45 bahts for one euro and told me then that I also needed to prove that I had 800 000 Bahts in a bankaccount as I was short about 3000 Bahts a month.

As I am leaving on 20 septembre, I had exactly 6 days to get all the papers......She proposed to give me a double-entry tourist visa valid for 6 months instead. I took it.....really too scared that I could not gather all the papers before next thursday.

But now, I am worried that they are not going to let me come in one or two more times next year after this visa is finished, because I will have more than 180 days.......Or am I wrong?

I visit Thailand since 32 years , 1 month a year, until my early retirement, eleven years ago. Since then I built a house there and live in Thailand 9 or 10 months a year. Never worked or had a business! Only spent money!!!!!

And it is only since last year that I could finally get a retirement visa because early retirement was not accepted by the embassy. I have always done the things legally and gave them all the papers they asked, and you all know that is is not always simple or clear......I thought I was out of the problems now and that it would be easier from now on.......What a mistake! I feel really rejected by a country that I love. And as many here I am not far from thinking about selling my house (I have a lease for 28 more years.....).

And one more thing : as I live there since eleven year, I know very well that my pension is more than enough to live very easily in Thailand (I am a woman and don't need to pay for a lady or to take care for a family.....). I also give a job to a few people as I have a maid, a gardener and sombebody that cares for the swimmingpool and the jacuzzi, and I don't need to explain that as a woman alone I also give a lot of money to electricians, plumbers, and so on!

I feel very depressed about all this!

Can somebody confirm if I can stay more than 180 days a year with only tourists visas? Thank you!

Nobody can say that. But you can change from a tourist visa to non immigrant and then extend for retirement inside Thailand with proof of 800k in Thai bank for 2 months, or 65k income by Embassy letter or a combination to meet the 800k amount. No police check or medical required.

so how does one stay if he cant qualify for some visa's, like 200,000 baht or whatever it may take? i am moving to the philippines but rather live in Thailand. i dont want to travel every 30 days.

have you been to the philippines? the girls are lovely and all speak english

HAHa Ever seen a picture of worlds champion Shoekeeper aka Imelda Marcos

Speak English HOHOHO a few minutes at Grenwich fast food will disabuse you or a glimpse at Tugalot crap on Dynasat Agil Ku 2 slutalot

Apart from the robberies.muggings, theft Yankie sleaze Angles city their unsafe ferries keep sinking

If I ever want to die in a Jeepney pile up with spitting unwashed chicken clutching peasants and be covered in Volcanic ash befor the Moro facists ransom you for loot Ist choice Angeles City is the place direct fligts to Crk on Air Aids

Manila!!! stuff it in an envelope returned to sender and enjoy LOS Lies on Sleaze the real Macoy proper corrupshun at proper prices the way real geezers prefer

PS no dispespect to your gf there must be one charming damsel in 300 island

Edited by RubbaJohnny

so how does one stay if he cant qualify for some visa's, like 200,000 baht or whatever it may take? i am moving to the philippines but rather live in Thailand. i dont want to travel every 30 days.

I wanted to thank you very much for going to the Philippines soon. I don't know where the hel_l you're from, but don't you get the message? Is there another country in Europe where you can stay without any Immigration? Or look at America, if they don't like your crippled nose, you won't come in. Have fun at the P.I.s man.

Strikes me if the authorities want to stop people working without the proper permits then they should concentrate on that rather than keep on and on with changing the visa regulations or enforcement rules every five minutes - it hardly creates a very friendly impression. It is also a false comparison of Thailand with Europe & the USA. Those western countries provide benefits to people staying there, provide a means to obtain residency and many other benefits provided to the nationals of those countries without discrimination and in some case positive discrimination in their favour. If a country is providing welfare benefits then it follows that some more stringent rules regarding who is allowed 'in' have to be made. Thailand on the other hand benefits hugely from the westerners who stay here and provides nothing in return except for the benefits blessed on this country by mother nature so it is in a wholly different position. There are plenty of people who derive their income from outside Thailand thus giving them funds to stay here. Personally I think that most of the westerners in this country spend multiples of what the average Thai spends and thus must be a greater benefit to the local economies. Thailand concentrating on high end customers will benefit mainly the people who stay in up market hotels and dine in upmarket restaurants neither of which are predominantly owned by normal Thais, rather by westerners with HiSo thai partnerships. I propose therefore that the Thai authorities are barking up the wrong tree with their ideology and should welcome most anyone who has money to spend and is not otherwise an undesirable for the many reasons that are pretty obvious (sex offenders, criminals, mafia types and the like). That policy would promote a much more westerner friendly impression and I am sure be a boost to the economy especially the local economies. If they are worried about westerners taking jobs without permits then why not provide more 'inspectors' to check work permits of those obviously working.

High class tourists dont come to Thailand! Why would they? Its unsafe, dirty and highly corrupt. I wouldnt come here if I was rich.. no way, Id live in Singapore or Hong Kong. People who come here are working and middle class Farangs... normal people. Some are good, some are bad, jst like rich and poor people everywhere. Even honeymooners come here because it is cheap. Go on a honeymoon in Ko Samui, $2000 a night and come outside your hotel to a street which is filthy, stinking sewers, criminals and bent police all over the place. Highest gun crime in the world. There is no infrastructure. People are even scared to go to the airport now. Its <deleted>?*ked!

Thailand is a third world country and they are basically just jealous of us unfortunately. They copy our knowledge, customs, fashions, dress, technology. We are even protecting them militarily. Yet they strive to maintain a heir of superiority over us. The only way they can do this is by making life difficult for us.

You feel beter now?

have you been to the philippines? the girls are lovely and all speak english

HAHAHAHAHa Eer seen a picture of worlds champion Shoekeeper aka Imelda

Speak English a few minutes at Grenwich fast food will disabuse u or a glimpse at Tugalot crap on Dynasat

Aprt fromthe robbery theft Yankie sleaze Angles city their unsafe ferries keep sinking

If I evr want to die in a Jeepney pile up with spitting unwashed chicken clutching peasants and be covered in Volcanic ash befor the Moro facists ransom me for loot Ist choice

manila stuff it in anenvelope returned to sender and enjoy LOS Lies on Sleaze the real Macoy

<deleted>??!!!! :):D

oy vey... another crackdown... tisk, tisk. I'm hapy I have a Non-Imm-O....

yep, and wait till they crackdown on those - it will be fun to watch how many here don;t think that's too funny. The retirees think its great the backbackers get grilled, but cry when the restrictions get tougher, those with WP's tell the retirees "too bad, go try and retire in your own country on your paltry pension", then they cry when WP fees go up. round and round it goes. :)

Anyway, the perception overseas will be "thailand doesn't want backpackers", so they will make Laos or Cambodia their home base.

One would be content to read all viewpoints on 12 pages :-

1. Those most effected (<50yrs, non-Thai spouse, without required Bank/AC) should receive sympathy for precarious residency however temporary it may be. As advised by many wise fellows, there are appropriate ways so don't waste time defaming anyone/institution/government/country. Will only be a waste of negative energy and will get nobody no where. Thailand law and enforcement is coming to par with US EU Aust).

2. Those representatives with clear motives as to why they are here and have done so through appropriate means, contributing to the Thai Economy in direct business or indirectly through out their residence in the Kingdom are proud and very happy here. They would like to guide those to respect their earned image.

3. Those analysts to the current changes to the laws/crackdowns (ie., enforcing the laws) are doing so to help out the above two groups, or because they are unhappy with the someone/officials/government/country. Have your say by all means but be true to yourselves and do realise WHY SAY IT, WHO IS TO BENEFIT, WHAT ACTION WILL YOU TAKE TO MITIGATE OR BRING TO RIGHTEOUS..

All the people posting on the pages are very clear to present their own image. I can see many "sound&wise people" though. You DO represent your countrymen very well and I am glad to be on the same soil.

CHEERS..

I guess for those of us who cant meet the requirements for a non O visa, and are afraid to be kicked out, and actually dont work here, may have another option.

Why not go back and forth between Malaysia and Thailand, stay 3 months in Malaysia and 1 month in Thailand.

That way we can get a bit of both places, expand our horizon, and live legit on visas on arrival.

Just a thought, I think that will do it for me at least. :)

Thai just want to make clear that Foreigners don't own this country, even if some think they do. Everything seems so easy, as if they can play gods. While this behavior is not possible anywhere in the world, why would anyone expect it from Thailand. Maybe they're not so fast, but they learn by mistake, that's all.

In Belgium it is.

I am just wondering if this news has anything to do with the recent documentary called Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rh9SRp9Hc&NR=1

Perhaps the Thais are trying to save their reputation?

According to documentary 298 British tourists are murdered in TL every year.

So there are 50,000 british tourist per year giving a 0.05% chance of getting murdered in Thailand every year.

Stay for 20 years there is a 1% chance of getting murdered... maybe time we leave anyway!

its amazing that the real problem is never faced head on: TOURISTS

ban all tourism and the visa problem will vanish

i'm also very disheartened watching all these illegal foreigners from the U.S., UK, Australia

mowing peoples lawns, cleaning their houses, and cleaning up the street garbage...give these jobs back to thai citizens

You don't go one but several bridges to far with your statement

ban all tourism and the visa problem will vanish

This crackdown have nothing to do with the genuine tourist, they are not affected at all by this. 993.9 % of all tourist spend their 10 or 20 day's holliday here and go back home.

Its that 0.10% who think that Thailand is some backword country that should be happy and gratefull that they spend their time here to develop the country. because in their view 99% of Thai are idiots and illiterates. And the women are just ............That they are not qualified as a teacher , or illegaly employed is of no importance. I seriously think that they not yet realize that the Colonial era is over.

What a load of rubbish.

Most of the long stayers in Thailand are wealthy, they might not have a flash car but they dont need to work.

If you are european you can stay where you want in europe whether working or not. We can stay in most any other country in Asia too with a little more effort.

Most young (under retirement age) people, farangs, long stay in Thailand have money from overseas.

I cant understand these so call "legitimate" longstayers who look down on those becuase of their visa situations. We should stick together. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LOVE :)

Try Sio Cowboy :D

&lt;deleted&gt;??!!!! :):D

Excuse me off piste the Jameons is kicking in

Im v sorry for anyone over 50 who cannot lay there hands or borrow 800kk to pad a Thai A/c for 90 days perhaps time to pull the finger out for 90 days in the sandpit ?

If you are hetero and under 50

12 large$ will pay 200 baht for a townhall legal wedding 1900 and a few copies well quite a sheaf 208 on my last visit but $3 and an almost wife with the change

For women easier and for the Middlesex eleven what a buginconvenience

Edited by RubbaJohnny

HAHa Ever seen a picture of worlds champion Shoekeeper aka Imelda Marcos

Speak English HOHOHO a few minutes at Grenwich fast food will disabuse you or a glimpse at Tugalot crap on Dynasat Agil Ku 2 slutalot

Apart from the robberies.muggings, theft Yankie sleaze Angles city their unsafe ferries keep sinking

If I ever want to die in a Jeepney pile up with spitting unwashed chicken clutching peasants and be covered in Volcanic ash befor the Moro facists ransom you for loot Ist choice Angeles City is the place direct fligts to Crk on Air Aids

Manila!!! stuff it in an envelope returned to sender and enjoy LOS Lies on Sleaze the real Macoy proper corrupshun at proper prices the way real geezers prefer

You had me at purple monkey dishwasher! Yeah yeah English is your 12th language.... and you're baked on something real wikkid like.

Spell checker, grammar checker, sanity checker, etc.... Not that your little contribution is the only one mind....

And I do agree with you about the crappy slutalot tugalot crap - but plenty of game shows, god botherers, and cock fighting to keep it all real.

You forgot all the foreigners who are less than 50, not married with Thai and don't work, just spend time and money here.

I know a lot of these guys and they don't understand the strict rules as they support Thai local economy.

Who think about them ? :)

To use the word of the 'I'm a better expat than you'-brigade here on this forum :Tough luck,but they have no business being here then. :D

Been in the same position myself and my only wish is that one day they actually COMPLY the same laws they are proclaiming every 3-months,instead it fizzles out after a while

when some people get visa`s and some don`t and not to forget random understanding of the law on both immigration offices and consulates around :D !!

Land of " The Moving Goalpost`s" indeed :D !!!!

does this non immigrant visa allow for someone to just stay on holiday if they have their own cash?

thanks,

It does if you qualify for it.

At the moment the nearest place to Thailand that will issue for the reason of Visiting Friends is Perth Australia.

This would allow up to 15 months stay with border runs needed every 90 days.

I have just recieved something similar at the Brisbane Consulate...........4x90 day visa border runs, this virtually gives me 15 mths. I did not have to have money in Thai bank, just had to show my current bank statements.

The cost was $A210 plus $A15 for photos. She just about talked me into it, also telling me that i could enter Thailand on a one way ticket.

Brisbane has got a good reputation for being helpful, there was one guy there who had driven 600klm from NSW because he knew that he could not get what he wanted in Sydney, he was there 20 mins for his visa and on the way back home, with a smile like the cat with the cream ! :)

Can you tell me what class of visa this is and what paperwork was required over and above you bank statement ( Aussie I assume)?

Thanks

David

Non Immigrant O.

Current Bank Statements, Passport...................Thats it, no worries mate !

By the way, i am over 50 ( i think) lolololol

The sky is falling, it's the end of the world as we know it and I'm packing my bags and on the next plane to a civilised country.

(Not really, just wanted to be the first to say that on this thread.)

Thailand's government and consulates and immigrations really are doing whatever they can to make it difficult for people to stay in the country!

Foreigners are the ones bringing in all the money! So why are they trying to kick and drive all the foreigners away??

How stupid!! They would cut their notse off to spite their face as the saying goes!!

Unbelievable...

All countries, whether Asian, American, or European welcome genuine tourists.Also all countries issue proper visas to those who intend to work in the country.Such applications are made before their departure and applicants usually produce supporting documents to show they have an employer at the other end.

Where countries allow visas to be issued upon arrival,then consideration is only given if the applicant show evidence they have been offered a job and that they have skills which the natives do not possess.

Only in cases where they succeed in getting employment with an Embassy in that particular country are they exempted from these rules.

In the case of Australia, if an Asian visitor arrives and cannot show evidence that he is a genuine tourist, he is put on the next plane without leaving the airport.In the meantime, he waits at the Immigration lock-up facility. This same situation exist when you go to Japan.So why condemn Thaiand! They were just being kind with

visitors and now need to enforce the rules in line with other countries.

...That means that you can never travel to Thailand to seek work unless you have been invited to do so, and have a letter that approves your non-B...

Wrong. You can arrive in Thailand with any visa or even without a visa, look for work, get signed up for a job and apply for a work permit. It is to receive the work permit, once it has been approved, that you need a non-immigrant visa.

--

Maestro

Going by previous "crackdowns", if you have necessary funds to show you can support yourself as a "tourist" then there should be no problem. If people are here just bumming around then they are of no use to the Thai economy anyway..!!

"Nail in the coffin", "they hate all farangs"... al the usual chestnuts come rolling out.

Pish & Tish..!!

If you play by the rules then there's no problem. Responsible and respectful people will always be welcomed here. Losers and bums can bugger off!

Personally I think that it would be a good idea to start screening people who are still in the country to check what they are doing, is their visa and/or work permit in place and where their funds are coming from.

"Loser and bums" pool all their money together if one is interviewed to show that

he has enough money to stay in the country! Only one is interviewed in isolation each time and the trick is played in all embassies abroad!As a backpacker, I have seen how they do it all the time!

Hi Everybody,

I have a multi entry non immigrant O and it will be used up in about 3 months. When the article at the start of this thread said" Foreigners living in Thailand are advised to obtain a Non-Immigrant visa, which can be extended up to one year by the Thai Immigration Bureau. " does that mean I can somehow get mine extended? If so, how and where?

I am married to a Thai and have 5 children with her, it is getting too expensive to fly us all back and forth so often so I would like to stay longer. I don't have the 400k (or is it 800k) in a Thai bank and my income from the states is in irregular amounts so I don't think I qualify for a better visa. Any pertinent info is genuinely appreciated, best regards, Lee

If your income tax shows 40k per month average you would qualify - if not you can obtain a multi entry O visa from KL with a bank book of 30-100k (using marriage paperwork) or less. Other Consulates will also issue in the area - no need to return to US if you are married to a Thai.

Thanks! Very encouraging. I am close to Laos, any chance that will work? Best regards, Lee

Wrong. You can arrive in Thailand with any visa or even without a visa, look for work, get signed up for a job and apply for a work permit. It is to receive the work permit, once it has been approved, that you need a non-immigrant visa.

--

Maestro

That's incorrect : you need a non-B to apply for work permit.

Legally you're not even allowed to look for a job while on a tourist visa, although that's hardly enforceable.