Peaceful Rally A Boost For Thailand : Pm

webfact

SEPTEMBER 19 RALLY

Peaceful rally a boost for Thailand : PM

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said that it was a boost to the country's image after the red shirted rally on September 19 ended with any incident.

There always have been concerns among ourselves and foreign countries when rallies happened in Thailand, therefore, it would be better for the country to have peace for a period of time.

Thailand's economic and social infrastructures have been acceptable worldwide, Abhisit said, adding that however political-related unrests in the country in the past few years have raised many questions.

Pro-Thaksin rally was held on September 19 at the Royal Plaza ground to mark the three anniversary of the coup that ousted then PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

The prime minister was speaking before leaving on Sunday early morning for the US to attend the UN General Assembly in New York and the Group of 20 (G-20) Summit in Pittsburgh.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/21

When the yellow shirts create a civil war with locals in Sisaket, is this a peaceful rally?

Yellow fascists want war INSIDE and, of course, WITH NEIGHBOR countries. It's not exactly what I'd call "peaceful rally". No, I'm not stupid, I know that Abi referred to the reds but all of us know that the biggest dangers for peace (inside and more important: outside) are the yellow and the laxity they benefit from HIGH RANKED persons in the country.

When the yellow shirts create a civil war with locals in Sisaket, is this a peaceful rally?

Yellow fascists want war INSIDE and, of course, WITH NEIGHBOR countries. It's not exactly what I'd call "peaceful rally". No, I'm not stupid, I know that Abi referred to the reds but all of us know that the biggest dangers for peace (inside and more important: outside) are the yellow and the laxity they benefit from HIGH RANKED persons in the country.

He was only referring to the red shirt rally. He had harsh words for the yellows though: "I am asking the police and soldiers to negotiate with the PAD," he told reporters in Bangkok.

I applaud the Red Shirts for keeping the rally peaceful.

I applaud the people behind the scenes for not sending in agitators equipped with slingshots.

In the long run a peaceful rally is the way to go, it will not get immediate action such Government dissolution but in the long

term there views will be heard and they may have a good chance of victory in a few years.

Surprised the resident TV Thaksin bashers haven't commented on this thread,

or were they hoping for violence?

Edited by monkfish

SEPTEMBER 19 RALLY

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said that it was a boost to the country's image after the red shirted rally on September 19 ended with any incident.

This is an odd and insecure attitude.

Does he not understand that the world won't and doesn't jump up and down when there is no violence at political rallies in Thailand. They expect this behaviour and won't give kudos to him or Thailand just because they don't beat the hel_l out of each other and cause massive disruption.

I think he is trying to reward good behavior! :) I'm amazed that nothing happened in BKK, but I'm very happy that it was peaceful. Hopefully this will become a trend between the reds and the government, and Thaksin can just leave Thailand alone.

geovalin makes a good point though, they want instability within and without. PAD's goals have become very suspect...

Edited by Meridian007

In the long run a peaceful rally is the way to go..

Peaceful rally is the way to go into oblivion.

Note that "peaceful" is the only thing remembered, no one has a clue about what they actually want.

That is the conundrum for rally organisers anywhere. Peaceful rallies achieve nothing unless they are humongous in size meaning 1 million plus (nobody is anywhere near this in Thailand). On the contrary violent/disruptive rallies can achieve things if they are disruptive enough to worry governments to the point of compromise or if they are violent/disruptive enough to force a government down.

By the way, did anyone see last weeks "Taksin" publication with the bomb the arisotcracy headline?

Edited to add: that edition may expalin why authorities are concerned about potential bombings.

Edited by hammered

Public rallies are meant to shortcut the long way between people and their elected representatives.

They get media exposure, and, if the cause is accepted as just, they attract great many supporters in all echelons of society including those who have a greater say in decision making process.

Problem with reds is that no one is listening to them anymore. Not bureaucrats, not ministerial advisers, not political analysts, not opinion writers, not opinion makers, not academics - no one. They've discredited themselves after Songkran and Thaksin petition, possibly forever.

PAD, on the other hand, had wide spread and deep reaching support, it got "ear" almost everywhere, and lots of powerful people and organizations were forced to take heed of PAD movements.

Quite understanding that you are a little off your rocker, but please could you be so kind to be a little bit more evenhanded?

Yellow shirts fascists?

What about red shirts killing people?

That is a nice act of loving of one's neighbour?

And whatever you say, or think, the biggest danger to ANY country is a division between the people of the land fuelled by opposing politicians, who do that not because they are so caring for the people, but only out of obscene personal gain.

Never trust a politician, they are only in the job for money or power!