City Or Jazz ?

Maigo6

What do you reckon lads, any City owners wishing they had gone for Jazz ?

Any Jazz owners wishing they had gone for City ?

I'm thinking about buying one of these for the missus , but I'm not sure what model, I told her I'll give her my Fortuner and buy myself an Accord or Camry, but I can't justify it really, plus they lose a lot of money over the first 3 years.

To be honest, I feel the Fortuner can do anything The Camry or Accord can do, the same cannot be said of the Camry or Accord trying to do everything the Fortuner can do, but I'm still a big fan of both models!

So, I'll probably keep my Fortuner and maybe get a Jazz or City, I'm normally a Toyota man but I think the Jazz and the City have the upper hand over The Yaris and the Vios.

So, it's the City or the Jazz, what do you think ? :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my missus has a Jazz and she loves it I have driven it once and only once, I thought it steered like a supermarket trolly. but I suppose going from an Accord to Jazz it would feel strange. I do think it is better than the City though, but thats just me!

Buying new or 2md hand ?

2nd hand there is no question it is the Jazz, the older City of the same year looks like a space ship which could be coming or going..

The new one, that would be a question......... If you Missus is Thai then maybe the City as it has a boot, which is a Thai thing, also looks good. Ideal for parking and nipping around then the Jazz as shorter, but then as I am not Thai so would always go for a hatch.

Hmm, I think you should let your wife discede as it is her who will be driving the car.

I just bought a 2006 City, but we only have one car in the household. More space in the City but the Jazz looks more "jazzy", he-he, and many woman likes them. Same engine so the Jazz might be funnier to drive due to lower weight, but I don't know I never tried one. I am very happy with my City but then again my last car was a Lada back in 1994, so I guess I am quite easy to impress, he-he.

Buying new or 2md hand ?

2nd hand there is no question it is the Jazz, the older City of the same year looks like a space ship which could be coming or going..

The new one, that would be a question......... If you Missus is Thai then maybe the City as it has a boot, which is a Thai thing, also looks good. Ideal for parking and nipping around then the Jazz as shorter, but then as I am not Thai so would always go for a hatch.

Yeah, the Honda City does look good, I saw one near me with after market alloys, slightly lowered and skirts, really looked the dogs <deleted>.

The Jazz has amazing versatility with those magic seats and won't lose a lot of value, I've seen the old style Jazz 5 years old still commanding 450,000 Baht !!!

Amazing really, new they would have cost what, 600,000 ?

I have a 2006 Fortuner and I would expect to be able to get a quick sale at 800,000, I would lose 449,000 over the 3 years + period.

So the smaller cars are certainly holding their prices well, then again, I was asking about delivery times and was quoted 2 - 3 months on a new Jazz, top of the range, white colour. It's too long to wait I lose interest, if I want a car, I want it NOW !!! Not in 2 months. :D

When I got my Fortuner I was quoted between 2 and 4 months for the silver colour, I paid cash and got it the next day, I think they let someone else down who had pre ordered it, they had one out the back of the dealership that had just been delivered, and the cash buyer won the day , sorry mate. I would not have bought it if I had to wait, I'm an impulse buyer, and if I want it, and I want it NOW !!!!!

Just looked at my figures again for second hand, I guess even the Fortuner devalues at only the same pace as the Jazz.

Jazz is practical, put the seats down and it can take as much as a Fortuner probably, City is better looking IMO, and does not only have a Black interior, I like the lighter coloured interiors myself, seems more spacious. Jazz comes with Black interior only, not so good.

Yet Jazz is so versatile !

Decisions , decisions........ :)

Edited by Maigo6

Maigo wife got the Jazz 12 months ago now its been great no faults absolutely nothing, whenever I have bought a car before it always has to go back for soemthing/ I prefer the look of the Jazz over the city but that's personal. The dealer was crap but a letter to Honda Japan soon sorted that one out Honda Thailand manager wanted to come to our condo and apologise personally afterwards hahaha.

Wife points out Jazz is number 1 haahahah

post-66436-1254461195_thumb.jpg

Edited by yabaaaa

I had a 2007 Jazz, sold it and just recently bought the wife a new City. It is indeed the dog's <deleted> if you trick it out (not expensive). I put full skirts around, mags, changed out front grill which also added built in running lights. Looks incredible. Now...You can do that on the basic City model and it truly turns the bottom line car into better than the off-the-shelf top line car. You give up a few extras, but again, adding them after market is much cheaper anyway. The one feature sorely missed that is only available on the top model is the fold down rear seats, which makes the car more like a jazz in terms of utility.

Now, comparing the previous generation jazz I bought new, with this new City, the City out performs it in every respect. Much more stable on the open road, better acceleration, and importantly, much more heavy and quiet. The jazz rides like a go-cart. Oh, the City seems like it also gets much better gas mileage, but I haven't verified that, and of course you can run it on everything but beer.

The jazz is an attractive little ride and a great car. But, if choosing between a new City and a new Jazz, I'd go for the Jazz, especially if it's for the lady. The new City has much more panache and more face for her than the Jazz.

My opinion.

I had a 2007 Jazz, sold it and just recently bought the wife a new City. It is indeed the dog's <deleted> if you trick it out (not expensive). I put full skirts around, mags, changed out front grill which also added built in running lights. Looks incredible.

My opinion.

Got any Pics Keema ?

I think I'm being swayed towards the City now !

Edited by Maigo6

I had a 2007 Jazz, sold it and just recently bought the wife a new City. It is indeed the dog's <deleted> if you trick it out (not expensive). I put full skirts around, mags, changed out front grill which also added built in running lights. Looks incredible.

My opinion.

Got any Pics Keema ?

I think I'm being swayed towards the City now !

Hi no lie, Yeah, I will get some pics up by tomorrow. I got the dark grey, and it looks like a million. I bought the basic model and tricked it out. Much better than any other choice. The replacement front grill is the same one from the Civic, so from the front with the low mean front dam it looks like a City ®?. All around, it gets looks from everyone all the time.

It all depends whether you want good looks or a much more practical car. The Jazz is very impressively designed. The space is used to the best advantage. The City is just a car, much better looking than the Jazz but no where near as versatile. I'd choose the Jazz.

It all depends whether you want good looks or a much more practical car. The Jazz is very impressively designed. The space is used to the best advantage. The City is just a car, much better looking than the Jazz but no where near as versatile. I'd choose the Jazz.

Gary have you been drinking Kao Lao whisky this morning? :D

Most lady's would say a Jazz looks best (quite), but the City have a very large trunk which make it very versatile especially when you got kids on board and can't collapse the rear seats. For me the City is by far the most practical of the two and I therefore bought one. :)

For me the City is by far the most practical of the two and I therefore bought one. :)

A saloon more practical than a hatch?! What next? A convertible more practical than an estate? :D

Have you seen the size of the city's boot??

Trust me, if you cant fit it in the city it aint gunna fit in the jazz.

Have you seen the size of the city's boot??

Yep. It's deep alright but doesn't have the height of the Jazz. Also the hatch door of the Jazz creates a bigger aperture for getting stuff in.

All that said, if it were me i'd go for the City because it's slightly newer and looks fresher. The new Jazz looks like an inflated version of the old one, whereas the new City looks like a completely different car to the old City.

As I said, I have owned both vehicles. The Jazz is more fun to drive around town short distances, and has slightly better stowage.

The City is a superior vehicle in every other respect. Ok, I admit they did improve the looks of the new Jazz.....

Ok, here are some pics of what you can do to make the basic model look totally custom and it drives like a dream.

Looks good Keema,

I'd still be inclined to go for the model with the fold down rear seat myself, what was the price difference ?

I don't like the black interiors either, I prefer the light colour myself. Is there a choice over the entire model range, the Jazz only comes with black interior and it puts me off.

the City seems like it also gets much better gas mileage, but I haven't verified that

I average about 13km/litre, i have a heavy right foot though.

I drive down to Hua Hin a fair amount and trying my hardest at about 100km/h I can get 21km/lit according to the onboard computer but i dont think they are that accurate. Next time Ill fill the tank and test it that way. (Jazz)

On my old Jazz 2004, top model 'Sport' CVT, I filled it to the brim drove 101 km and refilled to the brim again it took 6.1 lts.

as for the 'onboard computer' in the 4 years I owned it never figered out how to use it

Remember doing the same with an old Citroen Belingo 'D' which I bought new, 100km, it took 4.7 lts...... so thought the petrol Jazz was good..

I did look to change the Jazz for the new one, but it is lower and kept hitting my head.

Depends on the use, will there be any highway driving? Might want to consider the safety issue with relatively small tires and small brakes of both the City and/or Jazz (or Yaris, for that matter) especially in the rain. You can upgrade the tires and brakes of course, but you'd be surprised how many people say they will do that but then change their minds (usually fearing that keeping it 'stock' is better). For highway driving, perhaps your old (or a new one) Fortuner, or perhaps CRV might be a little safer. Heavy, not too much zip, plus as per the local Darwin road rules... bullies (buses, trucks, etc.) tend not to mess with bigger or more expensive cars.

All would be fun and easy for city only driving though, especially in any town where you might have to parallel park more often than not.

In summary, I recommend an X3 for the missus and 650i for yourself. :)

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...."

:D

I'm a very happy Jazz V-TEC driver for almost 5 years and clocked 205,000 km as of today.

The car runs fast enough (maxes out at 180) is very versatile, can load up sh1tloads of stuff (did one removal with it....and yet another box fit in....).

Compared to the City....the Jazz is technically the same car, so it can do whatever the City can with the plus of the hatchback.

The interior of the new models is unfortunately too much plastic for me. The older models looked far better.

Fortuner: worst car I've ever driven. Going in a corner is like shooting with a bent gun. Don't want one for free.

What are some of the pluses of a hatchback? My first car ('91 Mustang GT) was a hatchback, and it pretty much was a trunk. I suppose gals in the backseat could reach for whatever was in the trunk (beer, chips, lube, etc.) but that was about it.

:)

Fortuner: worst car I've ever driven.

For that to have much meaning, we need to know what you have driven, besides a Jazz. One things for sure, you've obviously never driven a Lada Estelle!

Re the new Jazz being plasticy - yeah that was the first thing that struck me. Seems like interiors of some car manufactorers are going backwards. I thought when they introduced these lovely new soft plastics with the rubbery but solid feel about them (about 10 years ago), that the age of cheap, thin, brittle looking plastics was a thing of the past. I was wrong. They are making a come-back. Can only assume it must be a cost-cutting measure.

Never had the pleasure driving a Lada Estelle....

You are right about the plastic...that rubbery plastic that the old jazz has inside feels alright. Not leather...but alright. Hope it will backfire

Ok, here are some pics of what you can do to make the basic model look totally custom and it drives like a dream.

Looks good Keema,

I'd still be inclined to go for the model with the fold down rear seat myself, what was the price difference ?

I don't like the black interiors either, I prefer the light colour myself. Is there a choice over the entire model range, the Jazz only comes with black interior and it puts me off.

Here are the prices: type-s.jpg MT AT 524,000 บาท 564,000 บาท menu-space2.giftype-v.jpg AT (ABS) AT (AS) 619,000 บาท 644,000 บาท menu-space2.giftype-s.jpgtype-v.jpg 694,000 บาท

so, I bought the S AT for 564k, then added about 40k of mods. So, I was in around 600 all in. That is still over 100 cheaper than the SV (which is the only one with the fold down rear seat), and the SV is nowhere near custom. But another big advantage of the SV over the lower models is the adjustable seat height, which is good to have.

As far as interior, the only choice is beige on the lower models. This is a nice color for the interior, but they did one or two stupid things like putting cloth where you open the doors, so that will discolor quickly - we will cover them with something. On the SV you can get black or other colors maybe.

** oh yeah, I forgot. Honda did something totally stupid with the SV too. They only have the radio and IPOD connection, no CD player. On my model the CD player also has an IPOD connection so I'm not sure what they hel_l they are thinking by doing that to the top model.

Edited by keemapoot

Looks good Keema,

Here are the prices: type-s.jpg MT AT 524,000 บาท 564,000 บาท menu-space2.giftype-v.jpg AT (ABS) AT (AS) 619,000 บาท 644,000 บาท menu-space2.giftype-s.jpgtype-v.jpg 694,000 บาท

so, I bought the S AT for 564k, then added about 40k of mods. So, I was in around 600 all in. That is still over 100 cheaper than the SV (which is the only one with the fold down rear seat), and the SV is nowhere near custom. But another big advantage of the SV over the lower models is the adjustable seat height, which is good to have.

As far as interior, the only choice is beige on the lower models. This is a nice color for the interior, but they did one or two stupid things like putting cloth where you open the doors, so that will discolor quickly - we will cover them with something. On the SV you can get black or other colors maybe.

** oh yeah, I forgot. Honda did something totally stupid with the SV too. They only have the radio and IPOD connection, no CD player. On my model the CD player also has an IPOD connection so I'm not sure what they hel_l they are thinking by doing that to the top model.

Hasnt the SV got paddles shift as well? I have found on the Jazz it accelerates much faster and doesnt change up early if you "floor it" in auto mode its a lot slower.