Residence Certificate

buadhai

If you live in Korat do you have to go to Immigration in Bangkok to get this or is there some place closer?

Kap Choeng..........50kms south of Surin.....20kms before the Chong Chom crossing there is an immigration post. I'll point you in the right direction when you come to visit us :o

Where do you report to for your 90 day reporting?

Because that's the immigration office you should go to as they have your records. It should also be the office you renew your visa at.

Edited by lungbing

A letter confirming where you live from your local police station, coupled with a copy of your residence's tabein bahn, should suffice. It did in the Nong Khai licence centre, although I appreciate rules & regs are not conformily applied.

Edited by Gallowspole

Where do you report to for your 90 day reporting?

Because that's the immigration office you should go to as they have your records. It should also be the office you renew your visa at.

I renew my visa at Kab Cheong and also report there. However, I don't believe that it is a requirement to report in at the same office as the one who issues the visa.

A letter confirming where you live from your local police station, coupled with a copy of your residence's tabein bahn, should suffice.  It did in the Nong Khai licence centre, although I appreciate rules & regs are not conformily applied.

Nothin' changes does it ? :D

"Nothin' changes", you got that right. I live 80 km Northwest of Korat and therefor, technically, I had to get my driver's license in Bua Yai rather than Korat. Bua Yai INSISTED :o that I had to have the letter of residence from my embassy, they would not take a letter from my local Amphur. That being said, I have a friend who lives in the city of Korat and he got a letter from the local "courthouse", and the Korat license office accepted it. :D

Why won't Immigration do the residence letter for you? It's the same form used when applying for Permanent Residence, so if they can handle applications for that, they have the residence letter form there, too. 300 baht in Chiang Mai.

It's not a part of the Visa section though, so this may cause some confusion among visa staff....

Why won't Immigration do the residence letter for you? It's the same form used when applying for Permanent Residence, so if they can handle applications for that, they have the residence letter form there, too. 300 baht in Chiang Mai.

It's not a part of the Visa section though, so this may cause some confusion among visa staff....

The ladies at Kap Choeng Immigration are wonderful. I lost my letter they gave me and they made up a new one. No problem,no charge. They are really helpful to everyone that goes there.

Must agree and even praise C.M.Immigration. :D

From registration to medical and then along for the driving test took me about 2 hours last week.

Still had time for a beer before jumping the plane back to Bangers and Blighty.

Also just today K.W told me that we have been given our area address....

ie...Moo 10,Mae-On,C.M.

Nothing built there yet but at least I know where I should live......gotta buy a letter box and stick it on one of our mango trees or something..... :o

Must agree and even praise C.M.Immigration. :D

From registration to medical and then along for the driving test took me about 2 hours last week.

Still had time for a beer before jumping the plane back to Bangers and Blighty.

ie...Moo 10,Mae-On,C.M.

Nothing built there yet but at least I know where I should live......gotta buy a letter box and stick it on one of our mango trees or something..... :o

:D Love it

ie...Moo 10,Mae-On,C.M.

Did you also get a house number? Down here, they will not give you a house number until at least you have a roof on and a few walls up.

No not yet.

I suggested to K.W.that we buy a dog kennel and and leave it at the beginning of the road at the bottom of the hill but she says "No" and recons somebody might nick it.

The mind boggles I mean why nick a dog kennel...rent it out to a couple of local mutts..???

Anyway seems we are to build a small gate house.....with a hong nam....and err a little bedroom....eh......wot about the wine celler :o

Please tell me about the " medical " , whats  involved

Basically, if you can walk into the clinic you are declared "fit". I've been to a clinic where the receptionist completed the form for me; never even saw a doctor. I've also been to a hospital where I was given a blood pressure test and the doc listened to my chest with a stethoscope to ensure that I was breathing.

:o

Go to a local doctor's clinic and tell them you need a medical certificate for a driver's licence. Costs 20 or 25 baht and the doctor doesn't even see you - the receptionist just writes it out!!

Have read that in Pattaya you have to go to a specific clinic (owned by the brother of the sister of the uncle of the maid that works at the home of the head of driving licence department) and pay 200 baht.

At the test centre you will be expected to do a colour blindness test (one hand over an eye and then call out the colour of a spot the examiner points to) and possibly some more tests testing your reactions and depth perception (didn't need to do them at Nong Khai).

Please tell me about the " medical " , whats involved

Thanks

Easy and straight forward.

I went to the small polyclinic just after the Tesco supermarket (on the left)believe open 24 hours a day.

Also its not far from Immigration and the driving Center.

Following a a quick chat with the receptionist and after telling her reason for visit she took a blood pressure test and asked me how I felt.(no hangover at time so OK)

She then went through to see the quack who signed me off as being alive and hey presto that was it .

The fee was only 100 bt. and all in all whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

From then it was back to the Test centre (upstairs)with all the bits of paper,photocopies,pics,Immigration registration etc.and that was it..... :o

...all very straight forward....the way it should be.

I tried to get the letter and failed once because I was near my annual renewal date. Immigration office (Mukdahan) wrote a "letter" for me but included disclaimers that I only had a short time left in Thailand, thereby making the letter worthless. After visa renewal went again and got a good letter and off to the driving test. Part of the test was a depth perception. It seemed a little difficult. The time reaction test was fun (slam on the "brake" on the machine when the red light comes on). The actual driving test consisted of driving forward and backing up about 20 meters between pylons.

Good luck,

Bryan

That does not sound to bad . I will try to not be hungover :D I can actually walk to the drivers license place in Cho ho ( Jo ho ) . See , so I am fit . Now all I need is a truck . The five baht tour bus is starting to get to me but you do meet some interesting people :o

Went to the Bua Yai Driver's license office (North of Korat) this past Tuesday armed with my notarized resident affidavit (1,200 Baht US Embassy), my USA Driver's license, my passport with Non O visa and my medical certificate (still breathing). Just as a second thought I decided to also take my wife's ID card (she didn't go with me) and house registration book.

Got to Bua Yai and gave them the affidavit, driver's license, passport and medical certificate. They wanted the house book. Ok, I've got it. Then they wanted the ID card of my wife. Ok, I've got it. Then they wanted my marriage certificate. What the he11, I don't have it. An hour an half later I returned with the marriage certificate. Did the eye color test and the "reaction" test (consisted of a gas pedal and brake mounted on a wooden box on the floor).

So finally, mission accomplished, walked out with a Thai license for car and a license for motorcycle. Got home and my wife wanted to see the license's. She looked at them and said ummmm, your birthday is the same month as me June, but the license says October. Yep, in the US we write dates with the month first, then the day, then the year. Of course in Thailand (and probably the rest of the world) they write with the day first, then month and year. So they transposed my birthdate from my American license and well....now my birthday is in October. I feel a few months "younger" already. :o

TIT

I renew my visa at Kab Cheong and also report there. However, I don't believe that it is a requirement to report in at the same office as the one who issues the visa.

There is no such requirement.

As for the driving license, I got it without a letter, but I do have a work permit.

As for the medical, I have got one without seeing the doctor.

The last one, the doc had studied in Scotland so asked me a few questions about there, no stethoscopes or medical questions.

I must admit I have lied on several occasions when asked about alcohol/drug problems in the past.

I got both a car and motorcycle driver's licence this week.

Got a medical certificate at the hospital in 15 minutes. They checked blood pressure, temperature, weighed me and the doctor then asked if I was sick.

I then got a proof of residence from the Immigration Office for free :D

The tests were simple.

Be very careful if they hand you an English version of the questionnaire!!!

There are mistakes all over them and the translation was very misleading! Some have been corrected with a pen and leaves you wondering who's done it :D

One question was:

A-A truck with no tail lights

B-A military tank

C-A car with a motor producing more than 80 decibels.

D-A tractor with rubber tires.

Q- Which one of these vehicles is not allowed a public road?

Another question showed a sharp curve to the right sign with no possible answer as the correct answer mentioned "left" :D

The motorcycle test had a question asking:

How many passengers are allowed on the front seat?

They also showed videos in the waiting room where you learned how to stick your arm out the window and signal which way you'll turn. They did not hand out cards indicating where you can get the arm stitched back on. I would never do that here or anywhere... Wasn't that used by coaches a long time ago?

The same hand signal was also to be used on the motorcycle where you were told to use the right arm for the signals. Isn't this the same one you use to hold the throttle and brake??? :D

The car you can rent for 30 baht to do the driving test had tail, brake and signal lights on one side only, the only one needed for the test :D

The old motorcycle, 20 baht. I broke the kick start peg :D . You had to turn the throttle halfway before you could accelerate. When I put the helmet on, the styrofoam shell fell out of it and of course was missing a chin strap. :o

Got there at 07:30 and left at 16:30.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, as we arrived in the morning, a car almost slammed ours :D

Penzman: After the blood pressure check and temperature you were then asked if you were sick-----how bad was the blood pressure or how high was the temperature? :o

If you already have a license from your home country you do not have to take the written test nor the driving tests. Sounds like you had a long but funny day. Did you have to pay for that "kick start" that you broke on the motorcycle? :D

Basically, if you can walk into the clinic you are declared "fit". I've been to a clinic where the receptionist completed the form for me; never even saw a doctor. I've also been to a hospital where I was given a blood pressure test and the doc listened to my chest with a stethoscope to ensure that I was breathing.

Come off it..........you walk in a place and get declared fit.........dream on :D

I got both  a car and motorcycle driver's licence this week.

Got a medical certificate at the hospital in 15 minutes. They checked blood pressure, temperature, weighed me and the doctor then asked if I was sick.

I then got a proof of residence from the Immigration Office for free :D

The tests were simple.

Be very careful if they hand you an English version of the questionnaire!!!

There are mistakes all over them and the translation was very misleading! Some have been corrected with a pen and leaves you wondering who's done it  :D

One question was:

A-A truck with no tail lights

B-A military tank

C-A car with a motor producing more than 80 decibels.

D-A tractor with rubber tires.

Q- Which one of these vehicles is not allowed a public road?

Another question showed a sharp curve to the right sign with no possible answer as the correct answer mentioned "left" :D

The motorcycle test had a question asking:

How many passengers are allowed on the front seat?

They also showed videos in the waiting room where you learned how to stick your arm out the window and signal which way you'll turn. They did not hand out cards indicating where you can get the arm stitched back on. I would never  do that here or anywhere... Wasn't that used by coaches a long time ago?

The same hand signal was also to be used on the motorcycle where you were told to use the right arm for the signals. Isn't this the same one you use to hold the throttle and brake??? :D

The car you can rent for 30 baht to do the driving test had tail, brake and signal lights on one side only, the only one needed for the test :D

The old motorcycle, 20 baht. I broke the kick start peg :D . You had to turn the throttle halfway before you could accelerate. When I put the helmet on, the styrofoam shell fell out of it and of course was missing a chin strap. :o

Got there at 07:30 and left at 16:30.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, as we arrived in the morning, a car almost slammed ours :D

Your reight about the hand signals for motor bikes. If you do it right you're liable to crash. As for the written exam..........anyone that gets 100% right shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

My wife phoned me up when I was halfway through mine and started nagging me. When I failed I told them 'How can I concentrate with my wife nagging on the phone?' She said OK and passed me.

Come off it..........you walk in a place and get declared fit.........dream on :D

Absolutely. It is the norm in LOS :D

Absolutely. It is the norm in LOS :D

I meant HIM walk in a place and get declared fit.