Honda Steed 400 Manual Required

Barolo69

I have just bought a cheap 400 steed of a friend, it has been sat under a coconut tree for the last 8-9 months, got it started on first turn of the key, but it is only firing on one cylinder not two, there is a spark on the second, so from my estimation it has to be the carb, and with all the crap I pulled from the tank and fuel filter, it looks like I am going to need a service manual.

So can any of you fellow bikers and steed owners know where I can down load a manual from the good old tinternet, or if anyone has one knocking about they could copy or sell to me I would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

And before you ask I paid 10,000 Baht for it, What a result, hence it needs a little TLC.

cool.gif

I have just bought a cheap 400 steed of a friend, it has been sat under a coconut tree for the last 8-9 months, got it started on first turn of the key, but it is only firing on one cylinder not two, there is a spark on the second, so from my estimation it has to be the carb, and with all the crap I pulled from the tank and fuel filter, it looks like I am going to need a service manual.

So can any of you fellow bikers and steed owners know where I can down load a manual from the good old tinternet, or if anyone has one knocking about they could copy or sell to me I would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

And before you ask I paid 10,000 Baht for it, What a result, hence it needs a little TLC.

cool.gif

I've plenty of tlc if your friend has any more Steeds at that price. Try this website for your downloadable manual -- http://pdfdatabase.com/index.php?q=honda+s...manual+download

Many thanks in advance

Rob

cool.gif

I to have a 400 Steed and have looked at all the likely places for an english manual. I think the key is to broaden your search as, (if I remember rightly) there is a european model thats 650cc and the manual/spec is very simular.

Just Two more small point......

What about the 3 & 4th cylinders?

They are prone to electrical problems. I had to get a new rectifier/battery/indicator relay plus many other bits as mine to was left standing for a year. Its great now BTW.

Dave

Many thanks in advance

Rob

cool.gif

I to have a 400 Steed and have looked at all the likely places for an english manual. I think the key is to broaden your search as, (if I remember rightly) there is a european model thats 650cc and the manual/spec is very simular.

Just Two more small point......

What about the 3 & 4th cylinders?

They are prone to electrical problems. I had to get a new rectifier/battery/indicator relay plus many other bits as mine to was left standing for a year. Its great now BTW.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for that I'll check it out, it only has 2 cylinders

Cheers

Hi Dave

Cheers

I seriously HATE to admit this, but I thought that too, when I first got it. Check both 'pots', each one has TWO plugs and leads (one on the side and one on the top x 2).

That is assuming you have a Honda Steed 400 ( or 600).

Dave

Both plugs for each respective cylinder fire at the same time. Honda was trying to promote a more complete burn so creates two flame paths instead of one. I've been searching high and low for a 400cc Steed manual in English but it just doesn't exist. Outside of the Indochina area all the Steeds, and Shadows for that matter, were all larger displacements.

Edited by Sojourner

Both plugs for each respective cylinder fire at the same time. Honda was trying to promote a more complete burn so creates two flame paths instead of one. I've been searching high and low for a 400cc Steed manual in English but it just doesn't exist. Outside of the Indochina area all the Steeds, and Shadows for that matter, were all larger displacements.

On a previous PC I had manuals for a VT600 and most parts seemed to be the same. Hope this info helps

(I found one in portugese on the interweb:D )

Dave

Dave's got pretty much the answer I'm giving. I'm looking for VT400 Steed parts myself, and I believe I've discovered that the VT400 Steed and VLX400 Shadow share the same engine block and chain drive assembly, so you might want to Google for a Shadow 400 manual. You'll probably be able to find a printed copy on eBay.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how the **** do you get to the battery? I now have a flat battery and can't even see the thing, never mind check the water or re-charge it. Do I have to entirely dismantle the bike?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

As your sitting on it, take the right hand side cover off, move the rubberfitting holding the electrics and its there low down & infront of fuid reservior . I think you have to take both side covers off in order to undo both battery terminals.

If you are replacing it, do yourself a favour and get a good quality battery. Its worth it.

Dave

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how the **** do you get to the battery? I now have a flat battery and can't even see the thing, never mind check the water or re-charge it. Do I have to entirely dismantle the bike?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

As your sitting on it, take the right hand side cover off, move the rubberfitting holding the electrics and its there low down & infront of fuid reservior . I think you have to take both side covers off in order to undo both battery terminals.

If you are replacing it, do yourself a favour and get a good quality battery. Its worth it.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for that. I will have a go this evening. I think I will have to remove the pipes too as the ones on mine pretty much cover that side.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for that. I will have a go this evening. I think I will have to remove the pipes too as the ones on mine pretty much cover that side.

Cheers,

Mike

Mine are standard but minus the baffles and It was possible to get the battery out without any work on the pipes.

Dave

Hi Dave

Cheers

I seriously HATE to admit this, but I thought that too, when I first got it. Check both 'pots', each one has TWO plugs and leads (one on the side and one on the top x 2).

That is assuming you have a Honda Steed 400 ( or 600).

Dave

Hi Dave

Nice bike in the photo.

Today was a good day, after speaking to a friend who came down to see my latest purchase, he has now put me in touch with an English guy on the island who fixes choppers for a hobby, he mentioned about 4 plugs in 2 cylinders so it looks like I'm on the right track at last. I also managed to find a new battery today for 800 Baht, another result, and for a Brucey bonus he has found me an excellent welder who can adjust my pipes for me, oohhhh eeerrrr. I enclose a picture I took a few hours ago of his bike, I like.

Thanks for your advice Dave, looks like I have found someone who knows what he is doing. I'll update you later.

Cheers

Rob

post-64165-1256817990_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

Nice bike in the photo.

Today was a good day, after speaking to a friend who came down to see my latest purchase, he has now put me in touch with an English guy on the island who fixes choppers for a hobby, he mentioned about 4 plugs in 2 cylinders so it looks like I'm on the right track at last. I also managed to find a new battery today for 800 Baht, another result, and for a Brucey bonus he has found me an excellent welder who can adjust my pipes for me, oohhhh eeerrrr. I enclose a picture I took a few hours ago of his bike, I like.

Thanks for your advice Dave, looks like I have found someone who knows what he is doing. I'll update you later.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

That looks a cool ride. Hope you brought over a rain mac for the rainy season to stop you getting a skunk stripe up yer back(only joking).

If you get stuck for part new or secondhand, Dr Bike shop in BKK have a large supply of steed parts plus custom stuff. They post bits to you, if required too. I visited the shop a few months ago.

My mate Dave also lives on KPN, runs the farang football team,CFC supporter, do you know him??

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

You won't find a Honda Steed Manual for the bikes imported into Thailand in English until someone translates one from Japanese. These bikes were made for the Jap market only. The nearest you'll find is the Honda Shadow 600 manual for early models up to I think 1999. I tried for ages before realising this. There is also a German language DIY book, if you know someone who can translate for you - but again for the Shadow. They say most parts are the same but obviously the engine data is different. I can send you the links if you message me-the forum rules shouldn't let me post addresses directly. Good luck with the restore. It looks like you have a lot of work ahead! :)

Here's a couple of questions for everybody who owns a Honda Steed 400 - what top speed do you get and what fuel consumption? What fuel rating do you use-the normal Thai 91 octane or the gasohol?

Phil

Edited by phibla

Hi Phil

The fastest I have been is 135 and I think mine has a little more, but if you see the picture I posted you will note that my seat is waifer thin and the rear suspension is nearly non existant so not pot-hole friendly. Thats why I have now changed to a 'fat @rse' single seat :D Looks OK still. I think I get 17k to the litre of regular petrol. Bit thirsty of a fairly small engine but its no problem.

On these roads around Isaan, I believe any faster and you then fall into the categary of 'Organ Donor' :D:D:)

Dave

Hi Phil

The fastest I have been is 135 and I think mine has a little more, but if you see the picture I posted you will note that my seat is waifer thin and the rear suspension is nearly non existant so not pot-hole friendly. Thats why I have now changed to a 'fat @rse' single seat :D Looks OK still. I think I get 17k to the litre of regular petrol. Bit thirsty of a fairly small engine but its no problem.

On these roads around Isaan, I believe any faster and you then fall into the categary of 'Organ Donor' :D:D:D

Dave

:) Hey Dave - thx for takin the time to reply. Ur info is certainly helpful.

Yeah I like a soft ride meself which is why I went for the original steed style with a nice armchair of a seat!

As for speed-well I'm happy if I can get past the (Honda)Wavees that clog the roads here in Udon Thaniieeee!

Phil

post-65475-1259947943_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...