Tire Pressure

raro

I admit that I am getting lazier and lazier as the years go by, I increase pressure before leavling Bangkok and don't bother to reduce it when I get back from Phuket now-a-days :)

Tires seem to loose pressure faster in Thailand than in northern Europe, petrol station gauges are so inaccurate that not even God knows what the real pressure is... Mai pen rai la... :D

Hey Mikey, get your own pressure gauge, like 120-200 baht :D

Thai made tyres, even with European and japs brand names and designs identical as those sold in Europe, are not the same quality. Higher content of natural rubber. Loose pressure faster, less traction, more squeeling noise and very long lifetime. 225/50-17 Michelin Pilot would never last more than 30-50k km back home, but here they are still fine at 70k+ km. Amazing at these temperatures.

Kiikiet... :)

I bought 4 new Goodyear Assurance a couple of months ago, finally threw away the old Pirellis that came with the car, RIP and don't ever wake up again please...

Bying premium tires is not that much more expensive in Thailand, difference is smaller than in Europe it seems, and I think it is really worth it. The ride is smoother, quieter. better grip, especially in the wet. I bought cheap new tires to the old car but decided to buy good ones this time and I can highly recommend Goodyear Assurance. It's really worth 400 - 500 bath per tire considering how many years they stay on.

Edited by MikeyIdea

I bought 4 new Goodyear Assurance a couple of months ago, finally threw away the old Pirellis that came with the car, RIP and don't ever wake up again please...

Bying premium tires is not that much more expensive in Thailand, difference is smaller than in Europe it seems, and I think it is really worth it. The ride is smoother, quieter. better grip, especially in the wet. I bought cheap new tires to the old car but decided to buy good ones this time and I can highly recommend Goodyear Assurance. It's really worth 400 - 500 bath per tire considering how many years they stay on.

cannot really confirm this...had Michelins on the Jazz and they lasted 35,000 - same as the much cheaper Maxxis which had also more grip than the Michelins.

Can't recommend enough to buy a good tyre pressure gauge and leave it in your car. Check the pressures yourself about every 1-2 months and before every long trip and teach your wife how to do it if she drives the car.

Worthwhile checking the manufacureres website if you change brands to see what their recommended inflation is and put extra in the back if carrying a heavy laod. Use your common sense and don't go over the max pressure.

I got 90k out of the Duellers on my 4x4 vigo and ran them at 29 - 31.

I put Michelin cross terrains on and they seem happier at 32/3 max is 35.

If you run Michelin Cross Terrain at 29-29 (31 heavy loaded) they will return same 90k km lifetime.

I figured they would run at the same pressures as the Duellers but the steering felt too heavy. Probably just the fact that the new tyre had a lot more grippy meat on the road than the old worn ones.

I am very fussy about tyre pressures!

Can't recommend enough to buy a good tyre pressure gauge and leave it in your car. Check the pressures yourself about every 1-2 months and before every long trip and teach your wife how to do it if she drives the car.

Worthwhile checking the manufacureres website if you change brands to see what their recommended inflation is and put extra in the back if carrying a heavy laod. Use your common sense and don't go over the max pressure.

I got 90k out of the Duellers on my 4x4 vigo and ran them at 29 - 31.

I put Michelin cross terrains on and they seem happier at 32/3 max is 35.

If you run Michelin Cross Terrain at 29-29 (31 heavy loaded) they will return same 90k km lifetime.

I figured they would run at the same pressures as the Duellers but the steering felt too heavy. Probably just the fact that the new tyre had a lot more grippy meat on the road than the old worn ones.

I am very fussy about tyre pressures!

Yepp, the cross terrains have much more grip on the road, brakes better. Unfortunately more heavy steering too.

The new Duellers are great though, just took delivery on a new Vigo with 17 inch new Dueller. More road biased, more quiet and much more traction on road. Probably useless offroad.

cannot really confirm this...had Michelins on the Jazz and they lasted 35,000 - same as the much cheaper Maxxis which had also more grip than the Michelins.

I liked Michelin before, but hadn't kept up with changes/improvements so I decided I needed to search tire review sites, best one I found to be http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=14 really important to read the reviews, sort by Reviewers Avg Rating and read nearly all the way down. I would have bought Michelins for the Toyota had I not read the reviews but they seem to have lost a bit of ground now a days. I am very pleased with the Goodyears