Driving Licence Renewal

This post covers both driving licence and visa issues so, mods, please move it if appropriate.

Situation is:

I have an O-A 'retirement' visa that expires in August. This appears to be a multiple entry visa and the consensus, on this forum, seems to be that I could exit Thailand late July and, on return, be given a new entry stamp, valid for a further year. This would be good but it still leaves me with an expired visa.

When I come to renew my DL, in November, I am supposed to have a valid non-O visa (and health cert. etc.). Do I actually need a current visa or does the valid entry stamp in my passport suffice? If not, then I shall need to extend the visa before I apply for the new licence.

Advice please.

DM :o

Most of us do not have a valid visa in our passports if we are here on extensions of stay. That stay allowed until stamp is all important. The visa was just needed to get you here the first time. You can think of it as keeping the visa alive (although not true - as you would find out if you forget the re entry permit and travel).

Now just hope they agree. :o

Now just hope they agree. :o

Should!

I had it once, "while application under consideration..." applied for new 1 year DL (obviously 3-4 years ago) and was questioned why my remaining stay only for 2 weeks.

Told them, look, they do it every year and showed the previous chops and final extension.

Accepted!

Most of us do not have a valid visa in our passports if we are here on extensions of stay.  That stay allowed until stamp is all important.  The visa was just needed to get you here the first time.  You can think of it as keeping the visa alive (although not true - as you would find out if you forget the re entry permit and travel).

Now just hope they agree. :D

I'm still a little uncertain here. Are you saying that the new entry stamp effectively extends the visa? I have never been in the position of needing to extend a visa before. What do you get in your passport? Do you get an entirely new visa stamp or merely a new 'admitted until' stamp? If the latter, then this must suffice for all official purposes that need a valid visa, e.g. certification of address letter from Immigration and bank balance certification letter from your bank. I've not tried to get either of these on an expired visa but I would expect problems. It was bad enough trying to get a bank account set up with everything in A1 order!

DM :o

You arrive on 10 June on a single entry visa you obtained in March and which expires on June 12. You receive a permitted to stay stamp until xx September. You have no real visa during that period - just a permitted to stay stamp - which is all you need.

At the end of your next one year stay stamp you will have to extend your stay. Immigration will stamp your passport for extension of stay to one year later. This is not a visa but it is permission to stay in Thailand.

If you want to travel you need a re-entry permit at any time you do not have a valid visa - so if you travel during your next year stay you must obtain a re entry permit first.

As said none of us have a valid visa that live here on extension of stay but we do not have any problems getting letters from bank or address confirmations. That stamp is all that is required.

You arrive on 10 June on a single entry visa you obtained in March and which expires on June 12.  You receive a permitted to stay stamp until xx September.  You have no real visa during that period - just a permitted to stay stamp - which is all you need.

At the end of your next one year stay stamp you will have to extend your stay.  Immigration will stamp your passport for extension of stay to one year later.  This is not a visa but it is permission to stay in Thailand. 

If you want to travel you need a re-entry permit at any time you do not have a valid visa - so if you travel during your next year stay you must obtain a re entry permit first. 

As said none of us have a valid visa that live here on extension of stay but we do not have any problems getting letters from bank or address confirmations.  That stamp is all that is required.

Thanks Lop, I think that makes things a little clearer. I'll go with getting the new entry stamp before the visa expires and try for the DL renewal on that basis. I can always do a 'proper' extension, i.e. showing 800,000 Baht in bank, etc., if it doesn't work.

:o