New Honda Pcxi 125cc I,

nickthebrit

Does your missus shave her chest ??

Seriously though, you make my point exactly Transam, some will love it some will hate it, To the person who said its going to gain cult Status amongst the Bargirls I disagree.

t'was me !! that said that..... with the average scooter costing 50k... and this at 75k on the road... it will get cult...(imho)!!!

in this part of the world... things that cost more are cool.... irrespective of quality...

my mates girlfriend was angry with him last night, in our local... because her friend had just been bought a diamond for 22645thb!!! we were laughing... because it was all about the money.... not the gift!!!

anyway who cares... time will tell.....

secondly... i think this will be big in the renters market for farangs... as we dont look dumb on it... and it has the power

Hi Nick.

You keep going on about the word "cult"

Please explain what you mean by "cult" or is it a typo? :)

For an extra 20000bt over a Yam 135LC... I don't think so, well, not me anyway.

14" wheels don't cut the mustard.

i have lived in this magic kingdom for 11 years... and seen many things...

normally the opposite of logic is what happens here....

the word cult... comes from the frenzy when the iphone started ( and a total shxt phone ) that was....

same with the nokias and moto's...

what is overpriced, and next door dont have is cool here....

but

i do think...

due to the "fatness" of this bike.... farangs will love it...

and because its 74k otr.... thais will love to put a few noses out....

btw

it is an awesome bike

imho

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may chime in I think the PCX is basically the new Mercedes of scooters, and its design cues and features will start to trickle down into other lower-priced models over time. It's a new reference design. Its high price will keep it somewhat exclusive for a while.

just my comments on 'cult'

before I go on - yes we have a Fino.

would anyone agree that the Fino has a cult following? Seems to qualify to me - go into a big bookstore you'll find monthly Fino-only magazines, customised Finos make up probably over half the pics in the general scooter mags, the riders have rallies, clubs, huge variety of aftermarket/custom accessories available . . . and look at the Fino 'impersonators' now available from Suzuki and Honda.

We bought it almost by accident, shopping for anew scooter when told of one stored near our house - had 4000km and been unused 1yr+ after owner's daughter returned overseas, left stored in his garage he was happy to sell for approx 2/3 new price. It has a lot of extras, I guess the measure of its appeal is how often people comment/smile when we're stopped at lights etc.

I'm not crazy about it - simply cheap reliable transport to me, but in the eyes of many they are a cut above the rest.

Interesting to see how the PCX fares in a few years time.

would anyone agree that the Fino has a cult following? Seems to qualify to me - go into a big bookstore you'll find monthly Fino-only magazines, customised Finos make up probably over half the pics in the general scooter mags, the riders have rallies, clubs, huge variety of aftermarket/custom accessories available . . . and look at the Fino 'impersonators' now available from Suzuki and Honda.

We bought it almost by accident, shopping for anew scooter when told of one stored near our house - had 4000km and been unused 1yr+ after owner's daughter returned overseas, left stored in his garage he was happy to sell for approx 2/3 new price. It has a lot of extras, I guess the measure of its appeal is how often people comment/smile when we're stopped at lights etc.

I'm not crazy about it - simply cheap reliable transport to me, but in the eyes of many they are a cut above the rest.

By that measure the PCX is most definitely not going to be cult. It's going to be the desirable top of the range model, just like a Click a few years ago, but that's about it.

The Fino's design is fantastic, IMO. It's the perfect retro scooter design. Near impossible to improve upon - they get worse colors every year :)

I test drove one today.

Quick summation : I Would Not Buy One.

Went into the large Mityon Dealer on the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai asking about the bike and was bold enough to ask for a test drive , surprisingly they walked me out the service center and let me take one for a spin.

It does handle quite a bit like a smaller step thru motorbike and it is a classy looking ride for sure - the storage space under the seat is very large and the stock alarm and easy to read odometer panel are really nice and modern looking.

Not crazy about the small back brace cushioned "hump" in the seat as this sort of butts you up a bit and does not leave any room for adjusting your seating position on the bike.

Automatic's are boring to drive and the initial pickup on this particular bike seemed a bit sluggish to me , once it kicks in though the bike has very good pickup.

The quite idle feature that stalls the engine when sitting at a red light is pretty cool and very modern , I just see it as a mechanics nightmare if that ever needs fixing unless done at Honda dealer with the proper computer sensors.

Still eying one of those simple Honda Dreams with the newer 125cc engines and electric starter.

I had a look at one at Tesco during the week and watched while the price got whittled away time and time again by a salesperson with the fastest fingers on a calculator I've ever scene as a Thai woman tried t convince her foreign husband/boyfriend to buy one. The thing is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Tiny little fat wheels, heavy, bulky, wayyyyyyy to much plastic.

If this is someones idea of "cult" then I'm out of the clan. But keep talking it up and you never know...

I had a look at one at Tesco during the week and watched while the price got whittled away time and time again by a salesperson with the fastest fingers on a calculator I've ever scene as a Thai woman tried t convince her foreign husband/boyfriend to buy one. The thing is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Tiny little fat wheels, heavy, bulky, wayyyyyyy to much plastic.

If this is someones idea of "cult" then I'm out of the clan. But keep talking it up and you never know...

I agree with the poster who said the Fino definitely qualifies as a cult bike. For one thing Yamaha got the lines of the Fino ever so perfect. My only complaint with the Fino is it's not an all rounder such as the Nouvo Elegance as it's on the small side, but exquisite, it certainly is. As to the new PCXi I entirely disagree with you here. First, tiny fat wheels? How can they be tiny and fat at the same time? You are not giving the machine justice. 14 inch wheels are not 16 inchers to be sure, but the Air Blade has 14 inch wheels. And it's a great bike. The old Italian Vespas and equivalent had 10 inch wheels so you can call these tiny. This one's got a lot more size, more horsepower and bigger tires than the Air Blade so it's going to ride better than either a Nouvo or Air Blade. To some this bike might appear to be a fat bike and it is compared to my Nouvo Elegance. But a really big guy will feel more at home on the PCXi. I think it's a very nice looking machine with some great lines and it's undoubtedly very capable. And as for it being "all plastic", well my Nouvo is all plastic too and if the cowling or other plastic bits get ruined in an accident they are easily replaced at very low cost. Furthermore metal rusts. I look at the Phantoms in our parking lot and they getting pitted here and there, but not my Nouvo. While other guys have to keep polishing up their chrome and other metal parts I'm taking my Nouvo Elegance to the wash about once a month and that's it.

Different strokes for different fokes.

I own an Airblade and was looking to trade if the new bike was any good.

I took one look at it and walked away.

Absolutely hate the styling. Hate the handlebars. Hate the colours....it's just a lousy looking bike all around. It has no appeal whatsoever.

Then...some more problems with it:

1. No under seat hooks for shopping or helmets. Even with the big bin I can still carry far more shopping on an Airblade or Nouvo. If I can't carry my shopping easily, it's no use to me.

2. Too bulky and heavy for a 125cc bike. When I first saw it I assumed it must be closer to 200cc. So for the benefit of a few more cc's over the Airblade I need to carry around and park a lot of extra useless and ugly bulk.

I'll pass on this monstrosity and wait to see what Honda comes up with next.

What a disappointment.

The thing is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. Tiny little fat wheels, heavy, bulky, wayyyyyyy to much plastic.

We agree. My girlfriend was stressing out when she saw me looking it over because she was worried I was going to buy it.

What are the PCXi mirrors like? I don't consider myself especially broad shouldered but I have to say that despite trying every permutation of mirror positioning on my Nouvo Elegance, to get the line of vision I want I still have to squeeze my arms in a bit at that setting. I think I need newer longer mirrors. Or plastic surgery.

What are the PCXi mirrors like? I don't consider myself especially broad shouldered but I have to say that despite trying every permutation of mirror positioning on my Nouvo Elegance, to get the line of vision I want I still have to squeeze my arms in a bit at that setting. I think I need newer longer mirrors. Or plastic surgery.

oops, this keyboard is rooted. Grrrrrrrr! :)

Will try again later!

Edited by GungaDin

. But a really big guy will feel more at home on the PCXi.

A big guy with short arms perhaps. I don't know how you can live with the riding position. That alone was a deal breaker.

You forgot to mention the deep pockets.

Sorry chaps BUT this thing is one helluva FUGLY bike :)

By that measure the PCX is most definitely not going to be cult. It's going to be the desirable top of the range model, just like a Click a few years ago, but that's about it.

The Fino's design is fantastic, IMO. It's the perfect retro scooter design. Near impossible to improve upon - they get worse colors every year :)

farangs are not into fino's.... look at the marketing... finos are all aimed at thai teenagers..

already in patong... farnang owned bike renters are renting them at 350 a day,,, cos farangs feel safer on a bigger bike

It's a new design. I like it and to those who say it looks too this or too that - wait until next year. By that time the novelty will have worn off, everyone will be used to the looks, and the PCX will make all other bikes look 10 years old. It's the next generation scooter.

In 10 years time no one will even see one. My prediction is that the PCX will become the biggest bomb Honda has ever produced.

I took a spin around the block today on our PCX. Accidentally grabbed the left hand lever, which is a BRAKE. Couldn't get used to the controls.

Other than that, how do you like the bike? And how would you compare it to your 150 CBR? Things you like about it versus don't vis a vis the CBR? Sure....they are altogether different kinds of machines. When people first told me I should possibly look into an automatic I scoffed at them and laughed having had something like six or seven manual transmission bikes in the U.S., ten manual transmission cars and three pickup trucks (get the idea I preferred manuals) versus a grand total of one automatic equipped car and one automatic pickup. I'm no longer laughing at them.

I took a spin around the block today on our PCX. Accidentally grabbed the left hand lever, which is a BRAKE. Couldn't get used to the controls.
Other than that, how do you like the bike? And how would you compare it to your 150 CBR? Things you like about it versus don't vis a vis the CBR? Sure....they are altogether different kinds of machines. When people first told me I should possibly look into an automatic I scoffed at them and laughed having had something like six or seven manual transmission bikes in the U.S., ten manual transmission cars and three pickup trucks (get the idea I preferred manuals) versus a grand total of one automatic equipped car and one automatic pickup. I'm no longer laughing at them.
Same as around the block on the old Phantom 200. As different as night and day, even worse. Same reason I never rode my pastor's BSA 441 Victor in 1997 - I hadn't ridden a backward Brit bike in 25 years.

• 3 weeks later...