True Needs Work Permit

The_Other_Mac

How pathetic are we really gonna get in this country... Like its the 'farangs' who are the bad payers...

I sometimes get so sick and tired of their racist thought that they are superiour and better and making it impossible for foreigners to do anything other than spend money on useless things...

Same thing; what's this new law about not beign allowed to go on the internet when intoxicated?!?!?!?  Are we completely flipping Mr. Toxin?

Just another case of TIT...  Amazing... really amazing

Actually, that one was an April Fool :o

Having said that, it took me in for a few mins. :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this comment isn't about Internet connections specifically, it is about phone service generally.

I have 4 land lines. Over a several-month period about 3 years ago, each got cut off for nonpayment, and in each instance, that was initially true. But as I paid the bills involved (in all, TOT, CAT, and AIS were involved in different bills). nothing happened. The lines remained dead -- and the bills kept mounting.

I did this 5 times, each time paying the demanded amount -- and not getting a single line turned on. None of these are in my name, but the people's in whose names they are have told me the bills stopped coming. Why in the world bills kept coming for disconnected lines in the first place is beyond me.

And yes, I had all the receipts; in each instance, the reaction was "You paid too long ago and the payments aren't in our computer." IMO, that's their failing, not mine, when I'm standing there showing them stamped receipts.

Ultimately I gave up. End of using the Internet from any of those lines wia dial-up modem.

Ditto monthly-billing mobile phones. I got one when I had a WP with no problem. When I lost it, I had quit and didn't have a year visa. So I went the prepaid route, and that's worked fine. (As a side note, it doesn't really bother me to be required to show my passport when and if that becomes law.)

I don't know if such requirements are reasonable or not. But it would be nice for people wishing to have a high-speed connection could have some sort of alternative to having to produce a work permit. The prepaid mobile phone service works fine for me; as has already been suggested, maybe providers could institute that.

...it would be nice for people wishing to have a high-speed connection could have some sort of alternative to having to produce a work permit. ..

The solution is simple, but so are the people at True: pay a 3 month deposit in advance + pay each month in advance. Any serious customer will pay up and pay each month's bill when it arrives. If you don't pay 2 months bills in succession, you are cut off. If you want to go abroad for a month, pay the extra month in advance before you go. Discriminating against people who stay here, but don't work, is immature and tells more about the True company, than Thai people in general.

williamIV:

when you need a money transfer, not too high, I never tried it higher than 300.000 THB. Than simply show them an invoice for a purchase of goods.

Don't ask me where to get the invoice, just make one. Thats Thailand, they want to see an invoice, so give them an invoice.....

Worked perfect for me, till now.

Restrictions on Bank transfers.

All Bank Transfers going out of ANY country are subject to

that Country's Goverment Exchange Control Regulations.

Many Countries have relaxed their Controls

so that Private individuals can make transfers

without restrictions.

But a few years ago Thailand intrduced New Restrictions.

The result - even if you want to send a few dollars to

a friend outside of Thailand thru Western Union

- there are documents to be provided / declarations to be signed.

All monetry instutions whether Domestic or Foreign

have to comply with Goverment Exchange Control Regulations!

I got my ToT/True phone bill (NOT my True internet bill) indicating that I owed B125 for this month, and B150 for last month. To teach me a lesson, True disconnected my internet access. Strange, I had already paid last month's bill, at the nearby 7-11. I went to the True office @ Fortune City, and True confirmed that the old balance had been paid. I was told that the "counter service" (7-11/Pay at Post), often withholds payment until the last minute possible, generally putting the payor in arrears. Well, I spent 2 hours this morning getting the bills straightened out, and my internet reconnected. On the positive side, the cutie rep gave me her cell phone number, in case there was ever a problem in the future.

The Saga Continues

So Stage One appeared to be completed. They called to say that my old disconnected (paid-up) phone number had been re-assigned to another customer, so I would have to get a new phone number. They even gave me the new number. And sure enough, a week later I got phone service back, which at least gave me 56k to limp by on.

Then I got a phone bill. For my old number. With a date AFTER it had supposedly been disconnected and given to someone else.

Well we had to go back to finish the ADSL application with the new phone number, so after sorting that one out, I presented the bill for the old number, thinking it was amusing and that they'd laugh and say oops and confirm that it belonged to someone else. It didn't. It belonged to me. I was now the proud owner of two phone lines and two accounts with monthly bills, but only one physical wire inside the rented condo. There was no way to use the 2nd line.

At this point the staff got a bit nervous. I said no problem, I'll pay this 100 baht and you can close the account. Er, it's not as easy as that... you have to pay 3,500 disconnection fee. For the line that had already been disconnected against my wishes and despite being up to date (the phone line was, not the ADSL).

Well they got it all sorted out in the end, and I have to say thanks to the staff and manager of True in Silom Tower, Silom, for bearing up and repeating everything in English for my benefit. I did check at the end that the 3,500 wasn't coming out of anyone's salary. When I got home, the ADSL was already working. It remains to be seen whether I get any more funny bills in the post.

This is purely a funny tale about a complicated set of circumstances. There was a problem and it was solved to my satisfaction. No criticism is intended.