Windows XP Task Manager

bartender100

Unlocker v1.3 for Windows XP

How often have you tried to delete or rename a file or folder and got "Cannot delete xxx: It is being used by another person or program." ?

Simply right click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.

app: (size 76 KB)

this does the same thing

If you're using XP Pro, then go to start, run, "gpedit.msc"

Go to user configuration, administrative templates, system, ctrl-alt-delete options.

Make sure that "remove task manage" is set to "disabled".

Unfortunately, XP Home doesn't have gpedit (group policy editor).

When something is "disabled by the administer", it's a policy related problem, not a file problem.

Edited by Firefoxx

If you're using XP Pro, then go to start, run, "gpedit.msc"

Go to user configuration, administrative templates, system, ctrl-alt-delete options.

Make sure that "remove task manage" is set to "disabled".

Unfortunately, XP Home doesn't have gpedit (group policy editor).

When something is "disabled by the administer", it's a policy related problem, not a file problem.

Verry Correct Firefoxx :D:o

Thanks firefox,that did the the trick,very strange,as I had not altered anything prior.

Also thats yeti,thai-norman,thaiwing

I download the unlocker,but did not use it as the other trick worked.

Now I will run all my spyware again,but as i said originally only Microsoft's new one found the malware,which involved 1000s of infect registry entries

Bugger,I just rebooted,tried the task manager,and it wont work again,went back though your instructions firefoxx,and it still says its how I changed it to, disabled.

I did try yesterday on Castle Cops by posting my hijackthis log,but so far no reply.

I'm guessing that some form of malware/spyware/trojan/virus has infected your system and is disabling the task manager. Probably in order to make you unable to see what processes (not programs) that are running, since the easiest way to check for malware/etc is to check the process list.

A tip (that everyone should follow) for not getting infected again: stop using IE. It's so vulnerable to these things to the point that it's pathetic. Nearly 100% guaranteed infection, doesn't matter if you have a virus scanner or not.

I'll wait and see if castlecops come up with anything,I use Maxthon browser,but messenger always opens hotmail in explorer.

I've used just about every virus and trojan hunter around to no avail,I know there is something wrong,as none of my programs that run on boot will open automatically such as Avast,Zone Alarm

I've used just about every virus and trojan hunter around to no avail,I know there is something wrong,as none of my programs that run on boot will open automatically such as Avast,Zone Alarm

That sounds serious. I think that it is time for a whole reinstall and hopefully you made a periodic backup of all of your documents and programs that wish to continue using. Good luck and keep us informed.

The guys that develope these programs should be sent to a Thai or Cambodian prisons for 6 months. After the word spreads, I think that they would stop stealing people's valuable time. Sons of Bastages! :o

Have done a complete install with the latest vertion of XP,it was getting worse.

Now everything running like a dream.Lost a lot, but it was mainly rubbish anyway,saved important stuff to discs.

Now I've got 110 GB of free space.

Thanks to all who took time to try and help.