Apple Ipad

Goshawk

I'm using iPad 3G right now. I like it, kids love it. Home page of thaivisa don't look right and out of whack with iPad's Safari browser. Will post pic later.

I'm coming to Thailand July 1st, would be interesting to get local sim in Thailand to work. Yeah, yeah, I know they don't have micro sim yet. But I think you can just cut it up to size of micro sim.

EDIT: here's what thaivisa home page looks like on iPad's Safari...

4577212542_81fc752795.jpg

Edited by Aswin

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My iPad 3G came the day they said it would, April 30th.

The Keyboard dock and case came 2 weeks before.

4565435067_6cd1c028cd.jpg

4566067886_c14b1504b3.jpg

Here's how I plan on cutting up the SIM to use in my iPad 3G...

4577266432_58cd68e97e.jpg

4576637621_06b4d8bbd9.jpg

My iPad's wallpaper and home page...

4576686073_3d39bd502d.jpg

4576686821_9da8bcccc1.jpg

Edited by Aswin

hi can you actually cut up your SIM card, will it still work? surely NOT!!!!

I have a friend bought two 3G iPads this week. Next day he went to DTAC and bought two SIM cards, lined them up against the sim cards provided with the iPad and trimmed them down to the right size. Stuck them in the iPads and they work a treat.

I have a friend bought two 3G iPads this week. Next day he went to DTAC and bought two SIM cards, lined them up against the sim cards provided with the iPad and trimmed them down to the right size. Stuck them in the iPads and they work a treat.

I'm actually really surprised it was that easy to find a work around against apples attempts at control and world domination. Fail evil corporation fail. Why did they even bother with this mini sim bullshit if it's going to be that easy to circumvent their control? Someone needs to get fired for their design idea.

I'm actually really surprised it was that easy to find a work around against apples attempts at control and world domination. Fail evil corporation fail. Why did they even bother with this mini sim bullshit if it's going to be that easy to circumvent their control? Someone needs to get fired for their design idea.

Actually Laughing Man I can think of a reason.

The new iphone 4G from what I understand will also include a mini-sim. So the only people who can swap sims between the products will be those with an iphone 4G and an ipad 3g. That might be understandable if not what one would wish to achieve.

And lets face it as you know we can work around the problem in a very simple MyWi way we should assume they have a basic intelligence that they have an alternative.

Was there any change in the settings needed in the APN settings ? What kind of data plan did your friend get with DTAC ? does DTAC has an unlimited data plan ? how much ?

some screenshot and pics would be nice. Thx.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I wanna know what to choose Wi-Fi or 3G, I mean 3g is like 130 buks more expensive. In thailand there is no 3g and using dtac data card which is slow as hel_l I clearly dont see any point in owning 3g version.

P.S Where to get ipad, normal price of course I do not want to get overpriced hardware from MBK

In thailand there is no 3g

Been using TRUE 3G for over 2 months without a problem.

If you want a ipad in Thailand you will have to pay the increased price simple as that. No one sells it at normal US prices (Why would they).

Guys, I wanna know what to choose Wi-Fi or 3G, I mean 3g is like 130 buks more expensive. In thailand there is no 3g and using dtac data card which is slow as hel_l I clearly dont see any point in owning 3g version.

P.S Where to get ipad, normal price of course I do not want to get overpriced hardware from MBK

3g ipad doesnt mean you can only get 3g right? I mean it can connect to edge too cant it? So if theres no 3g you will still be able to connect.

If you have a jailbroken iphone however you can use mywi to turn it into a wifi modem and connect to edge/3g that way with a wifi only ipad, that is what I do and it is very simple and easy.

There is no such thing as a non overpriced ipad in Thailand. They have not actually been released here yet so any ipads for sale are all imported and you will pay a higher price since there is no other way to get them. It might be several months or more before the price goes down once its actually released here.

Simple. The micro SIM is not an attempt at world domination, its not proprietary. Apple just has a long history of forsaking compatibility in order to advance technology. They thought the sim card was too big, and all that useless cardboard around it... So they used a smaller one.

Apple was also the first company to abandon rs232 and ps/2 serial ports in favor of USB. It was an outcry at the time. Now everyone does it. Micro sim will have a very quick uptake i assume. Who wouldn't want smaller sim cards and now that there's a precendent everyone will start doing it...

Interestingly enough True are now offering a 3G Micro Sim on their website. However strangely enough they are not offering a unlimited data plan with it as they do with the iphone. Gotta be some Thai logic in that somewhere.

Simple. The micro SIM is not an attempt at world domination, its not proprietary. Apple just has a long history of forsaking compatibility in order to advance technology. They thought the sim card was too big, and all that useless cardboard around it... So they used a smaller one.

Apple was also the first company to abandon rs232 and ps/2 serial ports in favor of USB. It was an outcry at the time. Now everyone does it. Micro sim will have a very quick uptake i assume. Who wouldn't want smaller sim cards and now that there's a precendent everyone will start doing it...

I still like my evil corporation seeking world domination theory better..... what the <deleted> is a rs232? :)

Interestingly enough True are now offering a 3G Micro Sim on their website. However strangely enough they are not offering a unlimited data plan with it as they do with the iphone. Gotta be some Thai logic in that somewhere.

It's surprisingly expensive... 650 / month for 1GB? If 3G was everywhere then maybe. Or if true wifi wasn't so utterly useless. As it is i have tried true wifi a few times and every time ended up switching to a real connection long before my trial 1 hour per day expired. It basically just doesn't work.

http://www.truemove.com/en/TrueMove-Micro-SIM.rails

CAT CDMA is 800/month unlimited with mifi, and the miff device can also run your laptop..

Edited by nikster

Anyone wondering what size ipad to get. Well I ran out of space on the 64GB version in less than a month.

Easily done if you are not syncing to a desktop / laptop all but your none essential information and the latest photos...

Can't understand why anyone would run out of space, even on a 16Gb version very quickly unless they are storing masses of video and photos.

Anyone wondering what size ipad to get. Well I ran out of space on the 64GB version in less than a month.

Easily done if you are not syncing to a desktop / laptop all but your none essential information and the latest photos...

Can't understand why anyone would run out of space, even on a 16Gb version very quickly unless they are storing masses of video and photos.

Yes you are right. It is, in my case, very much tied to having 'non-essential' video on my Ipad. I have for instance, the second series of Faulty Towers - I have watched it half a dozen times and still, if I watch it again, I love it. Also if I lend the Ipad to a 'guest' watching Faulty Towers might be something they enjoy. Now I could stick a 1000GB video hard disk player in their room as an alternative. Or burn it to DVD?

So I readily admit that if storage is solely based on the 'essential' then 16GB is fine. Even so, having non-essential video - when I delete 'Faulty Towers' to make room for other things - such as the download of 'The Times' I do believe I am to some extent missing out.

Ive got a 32g and I'm filling it up with just comics! And ebooks. Really I have no interest in watching video on the ipad unless I was going to travel, otherwise huge screen at home is the way to go. Also music is what my iphone is for. Pics, ya but don't see the need to put several gigs of pics on the ipad. The ipad is the most incredible comic and ebook reader.... Im going to have to transfer off some series of comics soon to make room for others. Read media is really where the ipad shines.

It's surprisingly expensive... 650 / month for 1GB? If 3G was everywhere then maybe. Or if true wifi wasn't so utterly useless. As it is i have tried true wifi a few times and every time ended up switching to a real connection long before my trial 1 hour per day expired. It basically just doesn't work.

http://www.truemove.com/en/TrueMove-Micro-SIM.rails

CAT CDMA is 800/month unlimited with mifi, and the miff device can also run your laptop..

I dont understand this package from True Micro Sim....its seems too expensive and out of sync with its existing products....

I already have a True regular sim for my iPhone 3GS...unlimited 3G (and other things) for B599 per month.....if I wanted to, I understand I can cut down the regular sim so it will fit in the iPad 3G...am I missing something??

I need to get 2 sims when I'm in Thailand next month. One for iPhone and one for iPad.

I guess for iPhone I'll need both voice and data. For iPad its for data only. I will only be in Thailand for 6 weeks, mostly Bangkok.

Can someone please recommend which company to go with ?

Oh and how much should I expect to pay for this ?

And for iPad do they have unlimited data usage option ?

Thank you in advance for any info anyone can provide. Thx.

Edited by Aswin

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the increased price has to do with the lifetime value of a customer who won't have minutes and SMS overages. They probably modeled out that to make the service viable for a customer using only data, who can only generate overages (overage fees being a huge revenue source for industries like this), they had to charge X amount with Y cap. I mean Thailand has some dumb marketing, but this kind of pricing was really common in the US when AirCards first came out for pretty similar reasons - also because they know they can charge a premium thanks to low competition, so why not charge for it (similar to Sprint's original EVDO rollout in America, for example). In the US the aircards were charging the equivalent of about THB 2,000 a month 2-3 years ago for access that was bandwidth limited. Obviously just a guess, so who knows.

I can say as a True 3G user that sometime last month or so they 3G coverage went up dramatically. One of the various self-proclaimed journalists mentioned noticing this out in the provinces around Bangkok on Twitter (I honestly forget who), so I assume something actually changed.

Edited by on-on

Ive got a 32g and I'm filling it up with just comics! And ebooks. Really I have no interest in watching video on the ipad unless I was going to travel, otherwise huge screen at home is the way to go. Also music is what my iphone is for. Pics, ya but don't see the need to put several gigs of pics on the ipad. The ipad is the most incredible comic and ebook reader.... Im going to have to transfer off some series of comics soon to make room for others. Read media is really where the ipad shines.

Yeah sure if you look at things that way.

I download videos and then plug my ipad into my 42" plasma. We are currently watching the series Trueblood. Of course, inherently there are lots of other ways of doing the same thing. Buying DVDs etc - connecting your PC to your TV. But the Ipad does make a good little library of stuff that you can delve into or pass to a mate who is staying at your place.

So I rarely actually use my ipad to watch videos unless I am traveling. I do like it as a portable hard disk of video for showing series or films around my house.

I download like you do, got trueblood season 1&2 as well as lots of good shows. I use a tvix to play them, can hold terabytes of information and even link to my pc and stream it from there. You should look into it if you enjoy playing digital media, its portable too for travelling (plug it into any tv at a hotel or friends etc.), just not as portable as a flat ipad and does not have its own screen. No need to convert most types of video for the tvix, just download and play.

I download like you do, got trueblood season 1&2 as well as lots of good shows. I use a tvix to play them, can hold terabytes of information and even link to my pc and stream it from there. You should look into it if you enjoy playing digital media, its portable too for travelling (plug it into any tv at a hotel or friends etc.), just not as portable as a flat ipad and does not have its own screen. No need to convert most types of video for the tvix, just download and play.

Yeah sounds like very good advice.

Took a look at their website and then it all got a bit confusing. Most of the products I understand that you need to buy a seperate hard disk. Also presumably you can download films in say AVI that will work on your TV but not necessarily an ipad without conversion. You can presumably bypass Itunes (or any other pay version) that way.

They have a whole range of products - what is the best? Dont really need 'huge' capacity - maybe 250GB at most. Portability is very key. Not too concerned with the upfront cost. Are they readily available in Thailand.

Unfortunately I do have a pretty crappy internet connection. One that seems to be able to download Trueblood2 in 5 hours in itunes but that takes 5 days (!) via another site.