What No Rugby Forum!

This weekends clash vs the Boks will be a good gauge on how the ABs step it up a notch. If not, there will be some soul searching going on.

It's a bit of a 'no win'

If they run away with a lead of 40 points or more - it's because the opposition was poor

Win by 10 points - there'll be plenty of doubt re RWC

As an ex Wellingtonian for 10yrs I've seen so many crap games at the stadium there, Wgtn Lions, Hurricanes, ABs too have so often under-performed in Wellington.

I was surprised how poorly SA played last week - they are not I believe that bad a team, more time together and they would surely threaten many of the top-10 sides, alos have my doubts re AB's ability to 'finish' against weaker opposition - so often the last 20 which used to be a real AB strength has seen the opposition score weak tries/points, the old 'taking the foot off the throat' syndrome coupled with some poor use of the subs bench (Hong Kong v Australia 2010, anyone?).

My pick - ABs margin 15-20.

But - I could be wrong!

in my honest opinion i think the all blacks are going to want to throw down a strong marker in this tournament, regardless of where the games are being played.

ABs by 26 - 28 points.

btw nice to see you back DB, hope you are well. not long now to the RWC wink.giflaugh.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I would love to see them win by 40+, and more importantly, keep the SA score at nil (or maybe 3). Ruthless destruction.

Just feel a bit 'flat' about the match - similar to some of the matches when a NH country sent an obvious 'B' side.

looked at ticket prices (NZ$) 72 for bronze uncovered which are low-level behind the posts - end up watching the match on the screen at the far end, and 123 - 133 (plus booking fees) for good covered seating. I became selective about which tests I'd go to in Wgtn when i was there, and this is one I think I'd have been watching from a bar, saving $ for a RWC match instead.

Here's my brother's pre-match report by email this morning

blokes everywhere, in groups of three or four, obviously wondering what to do for nine hours – but knowing that it would be too dangerous to hit the pub too early. Quite a few clearly out-of-town couples, her probably saying well if you want to go to the rugby, I have to go shopping beforehand. Heartland NZ at loose in Lambton Quay. At least they will go home happy. Odds are remarkably good - $1.05 (if you have a spare $100k) h-h; $1.35 13 plus and $1.82 – 19.5. Combined points of 50 under or over both $1.85; $1.90 on NZ five or more tries. 30 different betting options. Beautiful day so should be a firm track.

Edited by Atmos

This weekends clash vs the Boks will be a good gauge on how the ABs step it up a notch. If not, there will be some soul searching going on.

It's a bit of a 'no win'

If they run away with a lead of 40 points or more - it's because the opposition was poor

Win by 10 points - there'll be plenty of doubt re RWC

As an ex Wellingtonian for 10yrs I've seen so many crap games at the stadium there, Wgtn Lions, Hurricanes, ABs too have so often under-performed in Wellington.

I was surprised how poorly SA played last week - they are not I believe that bad a team, more time together and they would surely threaten many of the top-10 sides, alos have my doubts re AB's ability to 'finish' against weaker opposition - so often the last 20 which used to be a real AB strength has seen the opposition score weak tries/points, the old 'taking the foot off the throat' syndrome coupled with some poor use of the subs bench (Hong Kong v Australia 2010, anyone?).

My pick - ABs margin 15-20.

But - I could be wrong!

in my honest opinion i think the all blacks are going to want to throw down a strong marker in this tournament, regardless of where the games are being played.

ABs by 26 - 28 points.

btw nice to see you back DB, hope you are well. not long now to the RWC wink.giflaugh.gif

Cheers TF, im lurking around these days, but youll see me more often soon :)

40-7 ABs win

that was a much better effort tonight, the game was played at a very high pace throughout, and the Boks were paying for it towards the end of the first half.

Some excellent tries scored from the wingers,Jane and Gilford were on fire tonight. Good to see we have some depth in the wings again, and we still have Gear and Toevea coming back soon?

Carter had a good game apart from not having the kicking boots on. Defense was much better and so was ball security.

Not sure if the Boks have done the right thing resting top players back home. Happy to see we kept them scoreless in the 2nd half, so a very good effort imo.

Not sure about the new strip thou, a bit too tight for my liking,

williams_605.jpg

Lets see what the Aussies bring next week.

Edited by Donnyboy

^ Isaia Toeava is on the bench tomorrow for the Auckland v Taranaki game and should get some playing time- he may run into Samoan centre George Pisi who gets his first start for Taranaki.

re the AB - SA match

A win for the record books, and Carter back on top of the points scoring list.

When it was 25-7 I thought ABs would really run away with it and aim for 60 points, but just didn't happen.

Hore had a great game I'd still rate him ahead of Mealamu, five tries to the backs is a good sign.

Still thought they were too loose at times, some of those big passes could have been anticipated by a more experienced opposition eg Oz and presented opportunities for intercept/runaway tries.

In my mind they still failed to 'put away' the opposition, lacked intensity at times, but good enough to make next weeks match-up one to watch, and an improvement on their performance v Fiji.

Didn't see any after match comment from Henry - at a gues something like 'pleasing, but still areas to work on'.

I missed the first 5 min - anyone know the crowd figure? A few empty seats, but not as many as I expected to see.

All Blacks were as good as I've seen them in a long while but I did think the same thing about some of the passing that had intercept written all over it. Its been a long long time since the ABs put in a 'complete' performance? Cant think when? They are usually very slow starters but for a change went for it from the first whistle today which was pleasing to see. Teams are no longer going to rack up cricket scores against weak opposition with all the time lost to the setting and resetting of scrums. Reckon that was about a 65 minute game this afternoon if you took all those stoppages away!

^ last years first tri-nations game was a near complete performance imo 32-12 vs Boks, 4 tries to nil.

im glad it wasnt a complete performance from the ABs in a way, as it would mean that they would have peaked or nearly peaked already. Our expectations are high every time we see the ABs play and we expect not only a win, but one where we play well. Im happy to see progress which means building on what we saw last week, and ultimately, improvements to where we peak during the late stages of the RWC. Its all about momentum. Remember, It could have been closer to 50 points last night if Carter had his kicking boots on.

im sure we will put up a cricket score against a team in this years RWC, we have games vs Japan, Tonga and Canada,

^ we don't get either of those on our cable tv plan, but do get EuroSport who have advertised they are showing all 48 matches live or delayed, and Setanta/Astro Super Sport who showed Super rugby, and Tr-Nations but unsure if they have RWC coverage.

I'll be at MotoGP in Sepang on the day of the RWC final Sunday 23rd October - priorities, and motorbike racing comes first!

Told friends in NZ that I may still see the ABs last RWC game though - the playoff for 3rd and 4th is on Friday 21st October.

That was a bad joke that didn't go down well.

See how they go today v Oz, shown on Astro Super Sport starts 2.30pm Thai time, with a one-hour build-up show from 1.30pm.

^ we don't get either of those on our cable tv plan, but do get EuroSport who have advertised they are showing all 48 matches live or delayed, and Setanta/Astro Super Sport who showed Super rugby, and Tr-Nations but unsure if they have RWC coverage.

I'll be at MotoGP in Sepang on the day of the RWC final Sunday 23rd October - priorities, and motorbike racing comes first!

Told friends in NZ that I may still see the ABs last RWC game though - the playoff for 3rd and 4th is on Friday 21st October.

That was a bad joke that didn't go down well.

See how they go today v Oz, shown on Astro Super Sport starts 2.30pm Thai time, with a one-hour build-up show from 1.30pm.

I'm on Astro satellite, and I get Star and ESPN - I don't mean that by way of gloating, but it might be worth quizzing your supplier...

There's an Asian 5-Nations summary show on at 1 pm (I forget which channel) - maybe they will have highlights of the mekong Cup games

SC

terrible thing to say - but an AB loss may take the pressure off them pre RWC, over-over-over-confident Oz would place themselves as certainties (if they haven't already after their SA win).

Either that or a clear 20 point win to NZ to keep the doubters off their backs.

Scotland v Ireland, and Wales v England today - be good to see a Wales win, or at least put up a competitive performance.

I see there are only 3 Joneses in the Wales 22, I think they had six a few years ago. And not one Evans. Is this progress?

And of interest to stats people, Jonny Wilkinson may regain the all-time points scorers title once more if he kicks well, and Carter doesn't - currently JW 1195 and Carter 1204.

What a great career - "Wilkinson, who has played 85 Tests for England and six for the British and Irish Lions, will play in his 42nd Test at Twickenham on Saturday."

and no surprise here as SA 'A' resurfaces

Boks recall big guns for home Tests

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers on Friday named a 24-man squad for the home leg of the Tri-Nations series. The squad features several players returning from the much-talked-about injury rehabilitation camp in Rustenberg.

Backs: Gio Aplon, Frans Steyn, JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana, Jaque Fourie, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Morne Steyn, Butch James, Ruan Pienaar, Fourie du Preez, Francois Hougaard.

Forwards: Pierre Spies, Jean Deysel, Danie Rossouw, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield Gerhard Mostert, John Smit (captain), Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, Jannie du Plessis, Gurthrö Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde

Edited by Atmos

not a bad game tonight, 30-14 -esp against an Aussie side on the up, so they say. Game started on steroids, the ABs were up 10-0 by 10mins. & up 17-0 at the break.They shut down Coopers options, and Carter had a stand out game, making great covering tackles, and kicking 100%, a marked improvement from last week. Forward play was solid, and there were some huge hits going in tonight! A turnover cost us thou.

The aussies didnt have much options with the way the ABs were tackling, even when they had alot of the ball.

Some here might say that the ABs didnt go on and finish off the aussie side, but i thought we did pretty good against a strong Aussie side, if OConnor made those kicks, who knows what would have happened. Cooper needs more space and time to weave his magic, but he looked ordinary tonight, apart from a few touches.

Reminds me of Carlos Spencer, on fire one week, then crap the next.

It was a good performance but I think the ABs can still get better.Things are looking good so far, but Im not getting too carried away yet, its still early............

10-6 win today....great to see us scoring a try for a change...that will give the lads confidence althoug it should have been at least two. More work needed before the WC.

Maybe we'll get more in the replay on Astro tomorrow...

Watched the England Wales game before adjourning to the pub for the Challenge Cup semi-final... entertaining stuff! Wales looked good.

SC

10-6 win today....great to see us scoring a try for a change...that will give the lads confidence althoug it should have been at least two. More work needed before the WC.

28 thousand at Murrayfield - that's pish.

What would have been the score if we'd have had 70,000 baying for blood? Ehat are you doing for our world cup hopes? What am I doing (apart from being a hypocritical <deleted>?)

Miserable scotch gits grizzle and grizzle about our team, but what do we deserve?

I was watching the England Wales game today, and I saw Johnny Wilkinson taking a huge tackle, and for a moment I considered wishing him some ill will, then I re-considered, in my relatively new magnanimity to our neighbours brought about by support of their ashes team a few years' back. But do we drive the expectations of our team the way that the English do? Of course, it wold be good if the English were to get to the RWC Final, for that wil be our third and final meeting with them this year - and one out of three ain't bad, but is our team motivated to do any more than lose against NZ in the QF? Are we planning to rack up the points difference so that we finish ahead of England and Argentina in our group?

SC

EDIT: Mind, as a miserable tight scotch git, its nice to keep our whitewash clean,,,

Edited by StreetCowboy

28 thousand at Murrayfield - that's pish.

What would have been the score if we'd have had 70,000 baying for blood? Ehat are you doing for our world cup hopes? What am I doing (apart from being a hypocritical <deleted>?)

Miserable scotch gits grizzle and grizzle about our team, but what do we deserve?

I was watching the England Wales game today, and I saw Johnny Wilkinson taking a huge tackle, and for a moment I considered wishing him some ill will, then I re-considered, in my relatively new magnanimity to our neighbours brought about by support of their ashes team a few years' back. But do we drive the expectations of our team the way that the English do? Of course, it wold be good if the English were to get to the RWC Final, for that wil be our third and final meeting with them this year - and one out of three ain't bad, but is our team motivated to do any more than lose against NZ in the QF? Are we planning to rack up the points difference so that we finish ahead of England and Argentina in our group?

SC

EDIT: Mind, as a miserable tight scotch git, its nice to keep our whitewash clean,,,

Not a bad attendance given our poor recent Six Nations position, its friendly statys and it being the middle of the summer holidays when anyone with half a grain of sense has left the country.

My appreciation of the English Ashes winning team won't transpose itself onto theie rugby team...not under any code.

Edit: As predicted the vino is exerting some influence....

Edited by smokie36

that has to be the most, well words fail me.

lets put it this way 1. i cant believe i watched it rather than the England v Wales game and 2, i am now asking myself did i really just give up a Saturday afternoon to watch that pile of pish !

btw the all blacks are looking good donnyboy, shame they let in the late trys.

England (13) 23 Tries: Haskell, Tuilagi, Cons: Wilkinson 2, Pen: Wilkinson, Drop-goals: Wilkinson 2

Wales (7) 19 Tries: North 2, Williams Cons: Priestland 2

BBC Sport match review here

_54458899_eng_wal.jpg

Manu Tuilagi celebrates for England

I really don't care about England wearing a black rugby jersey, marketing b-s from Nike, but I want to know:

do there fans now chant 'black, black, black' the same as the NZ ones at Eden Park last night?

^ agree - turn the volume up every time.

Hope this doesn't start a haka debate . . . I think the best ones are when they're matched by eg Tonga, Samoa, Fiji

here's a preview of the RWC opening match - New Zealand v Tonga takes place 9 September

this video from 2006

what about hen-wlad-fy-nhadau or land of my fathers at the old arms park cardiff,got the tapes like to play now/then when home-sick,no hair standing up just tears.[taffy]

having gone out with a girl from Swansea, being an Englishman i got to say there is something definitely special in the air on match day in Cardiff be it at the old arms park or the new millennium stadium. and it certainly does hit a spot when you here the Welsh break into song, especially when the national anthem is played.

will always remember stepping out onto the platform in Cardiff having caught the train in from Penarth and just seeing a sea of red jerseys and thinking to myself wow this should be fun blink.giflaugh.gif what an atmosphere though on international day when Wales play England, you cant beat it in my book !

what about hen-wlad-fy-nhadau or land of my fathers at the old arms park cardiff,got the tapes like to play now/then when home-sick,no hair standing up just tears.[taffy]

having gone out with a girl from Swansea, being an Englishman i got to say there is something definitely special in the air on match day in Cardiff be it at the old arms park or the new millennium stadium. and it certainly does hit a spot when you here the Welsh break into song, especially when the national anthem is played.

will always remember stepping out onto the platform in Cardiff having caught the train in from Penarth and just seeing a sea of red jerseys and thinking to myself wow this should be fun blink.giflaugh.gif what an atmosphere though on international day when Wales play England, you cant beat it in my book !

Have a lot of respect for the Welsh fans...they used to come up to Edinburgh on the Wednesday night and stay for the weekend...christ can those lads drink! laugh.gif

Always a special atmosphere win or lose always a great time had by all.

lets put it this way 1. i cant believe i watched it rather than the England v Wales game and 2, i am now asking myself did i really just give up a Saturday afternoon to watch that pile of pish !

Starting early this year are we?

It was a warm up game...and boy did we need it. The team looked disjointed for much of the match with passes going nowhere...the backs need to get it sorted quickly.

More encouraging signs from our pack though....bring on your lot any time fishboy!

Edited by smokie36

It was a warm up game...and boy did we need it. The team looked disjointed for much of the match with passes going nowhere...the backs need to get it sorted quickly.

More encouraging signs from our pack though....bring on your lot any time fishboy!

as long as Andy Robinson remains in charge at the helm im a happy man. laugh.gif

ever wondered why some of the great names of Scottish rugby have never been tempted to take the job ? wink.gif

as long as Andy Robinson remains in charge at the helm im a happy man. laugh.gif

ever wondered why some of the great names of Scottish rugby have never been tempted to take the job ? wink.gif

He's doing as well as anyone since Ian McGeechan's first stint in charge, although perhaps that is due to a higher proportion of non-six nations / tri-nations opposition.

SC

Wales players given £100k World Cup bonus incentive

Friday, 5 August 2011 19:58 UK

_54448766_cdf_be_wales_v_ireland24-1.jpg

Wales' players could earn up to £100,000 each if they win the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand, BBC Sport Wales understands.

The Welsh Rugby Union and players' association have struck a payment deal that covers all Test matches until the end of the 2016 season.

Any player who appears in every round of a successful 2011 World Cup campaign would take home £100,000.

and a pic from the All Blacks England v Wales match

_54458899_eng_wal.jpg

Edited by Atmos