Non-im visa

So when it says No extension it means No Extension!

No.  But to obtain an extension he must have a valid reason.  For a type B visa that is normally in the form of a work permit.  With a work permit his visa could be extended.  For a type O visa based on marriage having money in a bank account here is the major requirement for an extension.

Guest IT Manager

To try and simplify this, here is a thought. If he comes in with say 6 month non im B, he will have to go to maesai or wherever at 90 days. No options, except got o the immigartionm office and ask for an extensin iof up to 30 days. In CM they would give him 10 days, then another 7, then another 7 for a total of 24 days without "fannying around".

IMHO, a trip to a border is substantially less fannying around that going to immigration 3 times. Get on the bus, in a car, on a bike whatever, and go for a day out of town. He is "holidaying" isn't he? Get him and you out of the apartment and have a look at the <deleted>**ing country for Gods sake. How does it hurt?

90 days per entry. End of story.

Another question for you Doc

I still have a current non-immigrant "O" multiple entry visa valid untill Jan 2004. My Wife and I will travel to LOS every year untill I retire. Can you see any advantage in maintaining this visa untill we do move back there(in 5 or 10 years)?

bronco

i too have a non-imm B visa that expires tomorror, 4 nov.  it too has "no extension of stay permitted" in the "remarks" section of the visa.  i was expecting to do a run to poipet tomorrow, 4 november but checked the board for new posts this morning and found this string.

i saw the docs post stating that many/all visas contain this "canned" statement that allows the thai authorities an easy out if they do not wish to extend someone's visa for some reason or another and that if fact, visa's with this language in them are still extendable.

as i had not booked my visa trip yet (planned to do it this morning), i decided to check for myself at pattaya immigration if the visa was extendable or not.  if it was not, it would be just a few steps to a travel agent to book space on one of the daily minivans to poipet.  with the new visa extension fees, the costs is about the same.  if i could extend, however, it would save me 6-7 hours on a minivan and the hour in the heat of poipet.  

i went to the non-imm counter and showed them my visa and the language about no extensions permitted.  he checked with a superior and said it was extentable.  B1900 please and pick it up tomorrow.  the only catch, he said extension would be for 15 days first and then come back again and extend again for another 15 days for a total of 30 days.  there would be no charge for the second extension (or so he said).  

don't know why they just don't to one 30-day extension but TIT.  i would just go and get another visa in pp, penang or wherever but will be traveling out of country in about 22 days on holiday so the extension is worth the B1900.

<font color='#000000'>
Just to make it clear to me (and anyone else), if you get a one year extension then you only need to report to Imm every 90 days and not have to leave the country.

You do not have to leave the country.  Address report after each 90 days since last entry/report (if you travel frequently you might never have to file).  Maintain visa status (have money/income whatever for next extension).  And, very important, you obtain a re-entry permit if you do travel.  If you happen to forget and return without it your visa is no longer valid and you will have to start over.</font>

Re-entry permit ... where is the most advisable place to get one of these? what documents do they require & how much does it currently cost? Thanks.

Many Thanks.

So when it says No extension it means No Extension!

Wrong. All Non-Immigrant visas can be extended with the right paperwork.

The reason why the text "No Extension" is there is simply because then the Immigration can reject an application without telling you why!

Just to make it clear to me (and anyone else), if you get a one year extension then you only need to report to Imm every 90 days and not have to leave the country.

You do not have to leave the country.  Address report after each 90 days since last entry/report (if you travel frequently you might never have to file).  Maintain visa status (have money/income whatever for next extension).  And, very important, you obtain a re-entry permit if you do travel.  If you happen to forget and return without it your visa is no longer valid and you will have to start over.

Re-entry permit ... where is the most advisable place to get one of these? what documents do they require & how much does it currently cost? Thanks.

At the airport.

You need

1. Passport with the visa you want to have reenetry permit for

2. Boarding card for the same day (you must have checked in)

3. 1 photo

More info about reentry:

http://www.thaivisa.com/346.0.html

I've managed to get Americans and a Russian a 90 day extension on a Non-imm B via their Embassy (and Imm). More recently I got a Canadian a 30 day extension on his Non-imm B through the Canadian Embassy and Imm!

Maybe the no extension bit applies to the actual activation lifetime of the Visa, the year period in which you get 90 days on entry as obviously if you have a WP it's extendable (as is a Non-imm O with the money) but then that's the actual individual 'activated' part of the Visa not the sticker/stamp from the Embassy/Consulate per se!

Re-entry permit ... where is the most advisable place to get one of these? what documents do they require & how much does it currently cost?

This is where I disagree with George. Do it at immigration when you receive your final extension of visa stamp. Only takes 2 hours and you are then ready to leave from anyplace at anytime and not have to worry about it. If you wait until the airport you must check in and obtain a boarding pass first - then find re-entry desk and wait. You could end up missing a flight and at the best have a needless worry at the last minute.

You need current photo (s) and a filled out form and your passport. Believe new cost is 3,800 baht for multi entry type but don't know about single entry.

Also my feeling, get the re-entry in advance at immigration office.

At least I feel more relaxed knowing to hav all papers/chops in order.

Fee for single re-entry is Baht 1000, multiple, as stated 3800