How Much Is My Computer Worth?

Hikage

Hello,

I have an old computer I'm looking at selling. I'll put an ad up on my apartment's bulletin board. I want to know what price I should sell it for. It's old but had good quality components for its time. Here's basically what it is:

Metal Case

Intel PII 350

ASUS P2B-F AGP MB

Philips 17' monitor

56K Modem

Diamond Viper 550 video card

128MB RAM

Liton DVD/CD-R combo drive (6 months old)

4GB Seagate HDD

Mouse/Keyboard

Sound Blaster PCI64 Sound

LAN Card

Would suit a student (basic Internet/WP use)

I was thinking around 5000B for this. what do you think is reasonable?

I bought

700 Mhz

256 MB

15 inch screen

40 GB HD

56K modem internal

Graphiccard (but don't know brand).

Keyboard/mouse

CD-Rom

actually good components and working very well for 8000 THB in Pan Thip Placa.

So considering the lower speed memory and HD, but the bigger screen, you might find someone at 5000 THB. If you put a bigger HD and more RAM inside, it would do the basic things for a couple of more years.

Hello,

I have an old computer I'm looking at selling. I'll put an ad up on my apartment's bulletin board. I want to know what price I should sell it for. It's old but had good quality components for its time. Here's basically what it is:

Metal Case

Intel PII 350

ASUS P2B-F AGP MB

Philips 17' monitor

56K Modem

128MB RAM

4GB Seagate HDD

Mouse/Keyboard

LAN Card

Hello,

Metal Case

Intel PII 350

ASUS P2B-F AGP MB

Philips 17' monitor

56K Modem

128MB RAM

4GB Seagate HDD

Mouse/Keyboard

LAN Card

I think 5,000 baht is reasonable for that, maybe.

I've gone through 7 or 8 computers and accessories in the last few years, and I tried selling them at first, but it was always a hard sell, and I finally realized that I got a bigger price, and no headaches, when I donated everything to needy schools in my area, with or without internet... The price I got was that great feeling of helping kids to learn something new, and knowing that that ability came directly from my hands. Wow :o

You might be lucky to get 5000baht. There is some guys at Pantip who buy second hand PCs. Take the spec along to them and they will probably give you a price. I think thats the best option if you want some money back. Its so cheap to buy a new computer with better specs for around 10K. If they are Thai then they might be able to get credit. So your 2nd hand low spec Pc is not really a bargain. Try some of the guys at Pantip. Thats what i done. Though it was pentium 3 but didnt have a monitor , had a cd drive and floppy but no graphics card. I got 3000baht. So ask around there. Thats my opinion.

3-5K would be most likely price if you can get that. Problem is that hardware advances within 6-12 months, so after that your hardware is basically obsolete. HD is 4GB when most these days are 20GB or higher. I think you might be better off donating it or keeping it as a second.

Are you gonna buy and new Pc? I think the best thing is to do as i said.

If you are gonna buy a new PC then this is my spec. No monitor or modem as i already had them.

Athlon 64/3000 Socket 939 CPU...................7490

Mainboard with 939 socket with VGA slot

NEO 2 .......................................... 5990

2x 512 Ram(400)......................................... 5520

160GB HD (MT).......................... 3540

DVD writer Samsung...........................3100

CASE 350 watts .............................1100

Speakers 1000 watts..............................750

Total.................................................. 27100

I already had a decent graphics card which cost me 10K. Check out my previous threads if you are in the look out for a new decent PC.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26364&hl=

I've gone through 7 or 8 computers and accessories in the last few years, and I tried selling them at first, but it was always a hard sell, and I finally realized that I got a bigger price, and no headaches, when I donated everything to needy schools in my area, with or without internet... The price I got was that great feeling of helping kids to learn something new, and knowing that that ability came directly from my hands. Wow  :o

Ajarn: I think your idea to donate to the needy schools is brilliant. I really, really like that. The teacher's and students are forever grateful and IMHO you are doing a little something for your community and Thailand by so doing. Good on ya. :D:D:D

Metal Case

Intel PII 350

ASUS P2B-F AGP MB

Philips 17' monitor

56K Modem

128MB RAM

4GB Seagate HDD

Mouse/Keyboard

LAN Card

5,000 would be minimum and would be the cost of the DVD/CD-R combo drive and 17" Philips monitor alone. The PII chip isn't that slow either, by any means. Adding another 128MB RAM stick and reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP, all the current drivers, and a few other useful programs before you sell it would probably fetch you a lot more for your computer.

Edited by melus

Just make sure it is a NEEDY one and not one full of thieving bar-stewards. Chances are your PC would make a quick exit out of the school....

I've gone through 7 or 8 computers and accessories in the last few years, and I tried selling them at first, but it was always a hard sell, and I finally realized that I got a bigger price, and no headaches, when I donated everything to needy schools in my area, with or without internet... The price I got was that great feeling of helping kids to learn something new, and knowing that that ability came directly from my hands. Wow  :o

Ajarn: I think your idea to donate to the needy schools is brilliant. I really, really like that. The teacher's and students are forever grateful and IMHO you are doing a little something for your community and Thailand by so doing. Good on ya. :D:D:D

5,000 would be minimum and would be the cost of the DVD/CD-R combo drive and 17" Philips monitor alone. The PII chip isn't that slow either, by any means. Adding another 128MB RAM stick and reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP, all the current drivers, and a few other useful programs before you sell it would probably fetch you a lot more for your computer.

Philips 17" monitors are 3470 baht brand new at Tukcom in Pattaya right now [and that's list price, without even any bargaining...] so at most you could expect to get half that for a second hand one. And that's if you're lucky. The Liteon combo is listed at 1480, and that's for a 16X speed one. 6 months old, possibly it's an 8X. I think more realistically for those two items you'd be lucky to get 2400 baht.

I think by todays standards a 350Mhz PII would be like comparing an old Honda Dream 100 to a new Harley V-Rod. The slowest processor I can find on any of the lists I have here is 2.4Ghz - nearly 70 times as fast!!! And that's to say nothing of cache sizes etc.

Adding another 128M of ram might be a possibility if you can find a shop that still sells memory that slow. The maximum fsb speed on that motherboard is 133Mhz... Oh and by the way putting XP on it will probably require flashing the BIOS first. Not only that IIRC on that board you'll have to mess around with the ACPI etc to get it to shut down properly. And as for the 4G hard drive - I think you'll find that after you put XP and Office on it it will be full...

I might have been ok when it was new, but that board was introduced in 1998 - 7 years ago. That's a long time in computer years.

And if you can install windows, you must turn on the computer in the evening, so the system is ready in the morning when you want to start working :o

Philips 17" monitors are 3470 baht brand new at Tukcom in Pattaya right now [and that's list price, without even any bargaining...] so at most you could expect to get half that for a second hand one. And that's if you're lucky. The Liteon combo is listed at 1480, and that's for a 16X speed one. 6 months old, possibly it's an 8X. I think more realistically for those two items you'd be lucky to get 2400 baht.

I think by todays standards a 350Mhz PII would be like comparing an old Honda Dream 100 to a new Harley V-Rod. The slowest processor I can find on any of the lists I have here is 2.4Ghz - nearly 70 times as fast!!! And that's to say nothing of cache sizes etc.

Adding another 128M of ram might be a possibility if you can find a shop that still sells memory that slow. The maximum fsb speed on that motherboard is 133Mhz... Oh and by the way putting XP on it will probably require flashing the BIOS first. Not only that IIRC on that board you'll have to mess around with the ACPI etc to get it to shut down properly. And as for the 4G hard drive - I think you'll find that after you put XP and Office on it it will be full...

I might have been ok when it was new, but that board was introduced in 1998 - 7 years ago. That's a long time in computer years.

I agree with melus, my Pentium II has help up SO well for an old processor and though it's dated, it can comfortably perfom many operations users require.

Computer runs XP without a problem. In fact, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference in speed between it and my (relitavely) new computer which is a 2 Ghz 512MB machine (for just basic application use).

In fact the reason I kept the machine for so long is that it could do everything I wanted (Net, Office, DVD, vid capture/encoding (a bit slow :o, application) bar playing the latest and greatest games.

XP/Office take up 4GB? No Way!

I also forgot to mention I'd be selling years of collected panthip CDs, huge CD case + a web cam. So I guess 5000 is around the mark judging by the responses.

Edited by Hikage

give it to charity, don't embarass yourself at Pantip. One fellow tried to sell 6month notebook he bought in Sing, brand stinky new perfect condition... couldn't get half of price he paid. so how about full metal case of PII ?

I say, choose right confession and give it away.

Another question - is it a sin to donate PC with pirate (i.e. stolen) software pre-installed ?

Merlin's right. You have to consider the space needed for the pagefile, too, and possibly restore points. And then you have to have space for documents and pics. Of course you can minimize the Office to just Word :o. Yep, 4 MB is really too cramped for a normal installation. You're asking for a hang or crash.

A fine workaround, if you know what you're doing, is to use nlite to make yourself a lite XP edition that, installed, would take up around 400 - 600 MB:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

You could also use XPLite Pro post-installation:

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

You probably know where to pick up a discounted copy of same.

Turn off the eye candy and most of the services and you've got yourself a fairly smooth PC for surfing and text editing. Add that extra 128 of RAM like Merlin suggested (careful!) and you're happy until you ever want to play the latest games or download a lot of music. Beats the pants off Win98 or ME and will increase the resale value. :D

Edited by JSixpack

:o

What a great idea, never thought of it !!!

Second hand computers are worthless, may as well donate them

Hilarious! I think this is a great idea too!

Edited by bino

Merlin's right. You have to consider the space needed for the pagefile, too, and possibly restore points. And then you have to have space for documents and pics. Of course you can minimize the Office to just Word :o. Yep, 4 MB is really too cramped for a normal installation. You're asking for a hang or crash.

A fine workaround, if you know what you're doing, is to use nlite to make yourself a lite XP edition that, installed, would take up around 400 - 600 MB:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

You could also use XPLite Pro post-installation:

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

You probably know where to pick up a discounted copy of same.

Turn off the eye candy and most of the services and you've got yourself a fairly smooth PC for surfing and text editing. Add that extra 128 of RAM like Merlin suggested (careful!) and you're happy until you ever want to play the latest games or download a lot of music. Beats the pants off Win98 or ME and will increase the resale value. :D

I got Office and XP Pro installed and well over 2GB left. For a basic non-mutlimedia PC that it is, I think this should be fine. Thanks for the responses!

Edited by Hikage