Pimping My Ride

eek

Would like to remove the stickers on my scooter bike and add some detailing such as some chrome modifications and chrome edging.

Ive read that registering bike colour changes are a headache, but do soft modifications need to be registered?

Thank you!

They also need to be declared on your insurance policy, check with your insurer if they will also allow the modifications.

Thanks baz.

When you say "also" does that mean that the paperwork does need changing?

They also need to be declared on your insurance policy, check with your insurer if they will also allow the modifications.

Thanks baz.

When you say "also" does that mean that the paperwork does need changing?

Some companies may want to see if declared on the registration book depending on the modifications, other insurance companies may just add them as modifications, which may or may not be covered by the policy depending on the company, some insurance companies may refuse to insure the bike after modification.

just popped into the yamaha dealer and they said no need to change registration or insurance. Of course, i prefer to double check with ppl here. Im cynical about advice in Thailand! So bad uh. Sbk..have a browes on google, you wont believe the stuff u can get!

eek, there's no need to register any kind of cosmetic modifications, unless it is a 'completely' different change of color...there's also no need to register any type of engine modification because its against the law, what they don't know - they don't know. Lots of people do it and the cops aren't any wiser to it.

As a general rule theres no need for the insurance company to know anything about your bike apart from the serial number and color. - nor do they want to know anymore.

Some Yamaha dealers have chrome edge stripping. Just pop into a thai motorcyle parts store that has a lot of stuff hanging up and take a magazine with you with pictures and just point at the pictures.

and how would they know? yearly registration requires going to an independently owned vehicle inspection station @60 baht, they check the serials, bike color, emissions and sound limits.

you then take the book, not the bike to the department of motor vehicles for the sticker.... or in bangkok there are sub offices scattered around in places such as Carrefour.

The department of motor vehicles never even see your bike, unless you are about to sell it.

Edited by Powerband

Yes exactly.. At sale time (or engine change or color change or name change or or or) they (Phuket DMV) refuse to transfer any big bike with as they put in any 'modify' which can be as small as putting LED indicators on. They refused a harley that had a LED rear brake light cluster.

They take photos of the bike and put them into the data base to use for next time its put through. Any tiny change and its bribe time. I just had to pay about 4k in cumulative bribes and I have some contacts, somone I know just had to pay 12k to get it passed for sale on a more expensive cruiser.

As far as I know they do not apply this to small bikes, I saw a ksr fully modded go through without a payment, seems only the big bike crowd that they target. So presume a scooter would be ignored, no profit in it for them.